Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

EvilHawk posted:

Congrats Spurs you've joined Plymouth on the list of teams that have lost to Liverpool in 2017

I'm glad I was wrong about Lucas being the reason we lost. He was immense today. Still don't want him starting as CB any more.

he should join up with benitez so colback never plays again ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

Spangly A posted:

everyone said this about ronaldo and rooney/tevez's work. Are you arguing that Suarez is not a better partner up front than Robert Firminho? that's loving insane m8

no, i just dont think theyre good enough to break into Barcelona's starting XI. theyd look like Liverpool caliber players in that system.

and to be fair to Liverpool, if they could stop gifting away games due to poor concentration and having an unsettled defense, they could pose a real threat to the world class clubs. similar to Dortmund in that respect.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Liverpool are mint, Spurs are shite =

2 easy.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Xabi posted:

2 easy.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

We look good when teams try to attack us.

Am glad Klopp finally dropped Can, we look so much better and mobile with Wijnaldum in the side.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Arsenal got lucky. Clear handball for the first goal, no red card? Undeserved loss for Hull imo.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

PirateBob posted:

Arsenal got lucky. Clear handball for the first goal, no red card? Undeserved loss for Hull imo.

Why would it be a red card?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

blue footed boobie posted:

Why would it be a red card?

Not for Sanchez' handball, I was referring to the situation where Hull were through against the last defender. Only a yellow given by the coward Clattenburg.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Ewar Woowar posted:

We look good when teams try to attack us.
I can't remember Spurs attacking but they did leave acres of space all over the pitch.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

PirateBob posted:

Seeing as it wasn't a handball for Alexis' first goal and clearly DOGSO for the second, plus Hull didn't actually score, I would say it was a pretty deserved loss.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Amazing :thumbsup:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

This sums up all the things I could say about Arsenal tbh

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Shoren posted:

Seeing as it wasn't a handball for Alexis' first goal and clearly DOGSO for the second, plus Hull didn't actually score, I would say it was a pretty deserved loss.

So the ref admitted in the tunnel at half time after seeing a replay it was clearly a handball. So yes it was obvious. Secondly the second handball given a pen the arm was by his side. Then not giving gibbs a red for Dogso. It was obvious bent reffing mate.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

if the only reason the ball ends up in the net is it hit someones hand it probably shouldn't be a goal

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Jose posted:

if the only reason the ball ends up in the net is it hit someones hand it probably shouldn't be a goal

If your hand is raised above your shoulder its probably safe to say its in an unnatural position.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Byolante posted:

So the ref admitted in the tunnel at half time after seeing a replay it was clearly a handball. So yes it was obvious. Secondly the second handball given a pen the arm was by his side. Then not giving gibbs a red for Dogso. It was obvious bent reffing mate.

If he was bent why did he apologise? Maybe a half time crisis of conscience?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

fat gay nonce posted:

If he was bent why did he apologise? Maybe a half time crisis of conscience?

Thierry Henry apologised after the game to the Irish, didn't stop it being a dogs act and bent to gently caress

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

EvilHawk posted:

No Gomez is criminal. What's the point of him if you're down two CBs and you play a poo poo DM there instead

Because the last time he played he looked like a teenager who's been out injured for over a year, and he needs time to get back in form?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Strawman posted:

Because the last time he played he looked like a teenager who's been out injured for over a year, and he needs time to get back in form?

The last time he played was literally right after he got back from injury, in a back four consisting of Lucas, Moreno, and TAA (IIRC). He's played plenty of times for the u23s since and looked decent again.

It didn't matter in the end (luckily).

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I was all fired up for epic Barton/Costa douchebaggery when the teams walked out to Arcade Fire's Wake Up, but it looks like Bumley will roll over easily.

David Fishwick wept

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Byolante posted:

Byolante posted:

If your hand is raised above your shoulder its probably safe to say its in an unnatural position.

Why are you commenting on what is legal and what is not when you have absolutely no understanding of the laws of the game?

Law 12 (page 37) posted:

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following three offences:
• holds an opponent
• spits at an opponent
• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

Additional considerations for Law 12 (page 120) posted:

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with his hand or arm. The referee must take the following into
consideration:
• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
• the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement
• touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard, etc.) counts as an infringement
• hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard, etc.) counts as an infringement

First, Sanchez didn't deliberately handle the ball. He was stretching his leg forward to kick the ball into the net and his arm moved up instinctively to balance himself. His only intent was to kick the ball. Second, his hand did not move toward the ball at all during this move, it ricocheted twice after he kicked it and unfortunately for Hull it last struck his hand and ended up goalbound. Everything was so close that he had no chance of knowing the ball would bounce up as it did (unexpected ball) and had no way of reacting quick enough to move his hand regardless. Finally, the rules clearly state "the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement" meaning it's not safe to say anything about unnatural positions because "unnatural position" isn't even in the laws.

Handling is a foul because it's easy to gain an advantage from moving your arm into the ball. Just because you have arms hanging off your body does not mean that if the ball hits them then play should immediately be stopped. Don't forget that the assistant ref had a view clear as day that the ball struck Sanchez's had and yet he advised Clattenburg to let it stand. And the red card for Clucas was also bang-on correct. If you actually bothered watching the replays he does in fact move his arm back toward the ball (when his body is going away from it) and stops the ball from entering the net; again, the position of the arm has nothing to do with the infringement. It does everything that Sanchez's hand didn't and therefore it was a good call. Just because Clattenburg is an idiot and broke the rules by watching replays at halftime and proceeded to speak out of line by apologizing to the Hull players doesn't mean he got the calls wrong in this case. All it takes is actually looking at the facts and having a base level of critical thinking.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tek a bow Robbie Brady.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The referees organization said it should have been disallowed as well

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
:abuela: lol

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Phwoar what a hit son

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Hoooo Robbie Brady has a peg on him

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
lol

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Did Costa duck that?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

The referees organization said it should have been disallowed as well

And they're just as incapable of understanding the rules as Byolante is. Just because they feel morally outraged (or just plain biased) doesn't make the goal illegitimate.

Also, tasty loving free kick from Brady. Lovely stuff.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Lol noted Internet forums poster thinks he understand the rules better than the referees

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
the referees are instructed to not give handball goals because it leaves a bad taste in the mouth, not in the spirit of the game, etc. they are not enforcing the laws as they are written, but no one really cares.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Shoren posted:

And they're just as incapable of understanding the rules as Byolante is. Just because they feel morally outraged (or just plain biased) doesn't make the goal illegitimate.

Lol your opinions are really really bad

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

straight up brolic posted:

Lol noted Internet forums poster thinks he understand the rules better than the referees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj0njC7H3Jk

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Southampton's first goal probably shouldn't have counted yesterday for the same reasons, why isn't anyone making autism noises arguing about that?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Shrapnig posted:

Southampton's first goal probably shouldn't have counted yesterday for the same reasons, why isn't anyone making autism noises arguing about that?

They aren't at risk of having an asterisk added to their Fourth Place Trophy

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Shrapnig posted:

It was mentioned on MOTD

How did Burnleys not score

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Shoren posted:

Also, tasty loving free kick from Brady. Lovely stuff.

That's possibly the dumbest post ever made on these forums and that includes some of Woobi's greatest hits. If the match official's organisation aren't the people with the greatest authority to rule the laws of the game then we may as well just put football out of it's misery now.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
if burnley win this it's definite objective proof there is home advantage wizard magic placed upon turf moor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Byolante posted:

That's possibly the dumbest post ever made on these forums and that includes some of Woobi's greatest hits. If the match official's organisation aren't the people with the greatest authority to rule the laws of the game then we may as well just put football out of it's misery now.

Football's already dead, they're just kicking the corpse. The PGMOL stated that the goal should have been disallowed not because it violated a law of the game, but because "it doesn't sit well in the game." What a load of bollocks. It was just as unfortunate as if the keeper tried clearing a ball, hit he ref, then rebounded into his net. Hull should be bitterly disappointed in either case because neither broke any laws.

https://twitter.com/7amkickoff/status/830487733135044609

• Locked thread