Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trumpenproletariat
Nov 26, 2016

by zen death robot

Also, Trump's action on H1B visas since he took office ensures that my wife who is currently studying for a computer science degree might actually get a job that lets her pay off her massive student loans instead of being kept in a reserve army of labor because it's cheaper to import someone from an impoverished country to work for $30k a year.

Something Obama had 8 years to do and never did. I guess he needed all those tech companies onside to keep expanding his surveillance state and making sure whistleblowers got jailed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Trumpenproletariat posted:

Also, Trump's action on H1B visas since he took office ensures that my wife who is currently studying for a computer science degree might actually get a job that lets her pay off her massive student loans instead of being kept in a reserve army of labor because it's cheaper to import someone from an impoverished country to work for $30k a year.

Something Obama had 8 years to do and never did. I guess he needed all those tech companies onside to keep expanding his surveillance state and making sure whistleblowers got jailed.

no it doesn't lol

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
gently caress I just realized I can make up whatever I WANT and post it on the internet gently caress

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i can't wait to see the look on your face when you find out that your wife will be making $30k a year in her job, and get just as exploited as someone from, say, India while working. trump isn't interested in prosperity for all americans in his economic policy, he just wants to make rich people richer

Trumpenproletariat
Nov 26, 2016

by zen death robot

get that OUT of my face posted:

i can't wait to see the look on your face when you find out that your wife will be making $30k a year in her job, and get just as exploited as someone from, say, India while working. trump isn't interested in prosperity for all americans in his economic policy, he just wants to make rich people richer

How will Trump accomplish this while taking actions that, directly to the contrary, empower native labor over capital by artificially restricting the labor supply to national borders?

If Trump wanted nothing more than to make rich people richer, he would have supported the TPP like Obama did.

Trump and Bernie Sanders agree on "free trade" agreements and H1B.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

my wife

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

has trump even done anything about h1b visas

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Grondoth posted:

gently caress I just realized I can make up whatever I WANT and post it on the internet gently caress

Trumpenproletariat
Nov 26, 2016

by zen death robot

Jose posted:

Increased the minimum salary requirement to use them, and just today postponed priority processing for them.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Increased the minimum salary requirement to use them, and just today postponed priority processing for them.

lol, hello loyal constituent

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Jose posted:

no trump hasnt done anything he's incompetent and hitler

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
when trump defaults on the us debts you're going to be first to get fired

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

>he's a president
>in real life
>in a fat idiot country
>he does it for free
>he takes his "job" not very seriously
>he does it because it is the only amount of power & control he will ever have in his pathetic life
>he kills 8 year olds he doesn't like because whenever he gets upset he has a tweet attack
>he kills seals he doesn't like because they interfere with the large backlog of russian piss he has to drink
>he will never have a real job
>he will never move out of his parent's hotels
>he will never be at a healthy weight
>he will never know how to cook anything besides a taco bowl
>he will never have a loving wife
>he will never have any real friends

The Brown Menace has issued a correction as of 14:56 on Mar 5, 2017

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

btw it's illegal for trump to take no pay, prez salary is mandated ("shall earn") $400k/year, trumps promise to do the job free was literally campaigning on breaking the constitutional description of the presidency

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Trump and Bernie Sanders agree on "free trade" agreements and H1B.
same belief, different approach. bernie believes in pro-worker stuff like a $15 minimum wage and points out that billionaires and CEOs are what's causing income inequality and lovely jobs for americans. trump went from "big pharma bad" to "big pharma good" after meeting with a group of their CEOs in the non-chintzy florida hotel white house, while constantly shouting that immigrants are the root of our economic ills

Squizzle posted:

btw it's illegal for trump to take no pay, prez salary is mandated ("shall earn") $400k/year, trumps promise to do the job free was literally campaigning on breaking the constitutional description of the presidency
gee, it's like trump doesn't give a gently caress about the constitution. i bet those proto-fascist oath keepers are piiiiiiiiiissed about his blatant disregard for that sacred document

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Also, Trump's action on H1B visas since he took office ensures that my wife who is currently studying for a computer science degree might actually get a job that lets her pay off her massive student loans instead of being kept in a reserve army of labor because it's cheaper to import someone from an impoverished country to work for $30k a year

if your wife has a tough time getting a job with a CS degree she has far deeper problems

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit

As someone who graduated during the Obama presidency with a CS degree, I call so much BS on this. I had a selection of 6 offers before I'd even gotten my diploma. There is no reality in which someone with a CS degree is struggling to find a job because of H1Bs unless you live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
i don't understand trumpenproletariat's complaint, i mean, he voted republican, so why doesn't his wife just take two jobs flipping burgers instead of being a burden on taxpayers

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Duscat posted:

i don't understand trumpenproletariat's complaint, i mean, he voted republican, so why doesn't his wife just take two jobs flipping burgers instead of being a burden on taxpayers
he wants to have his cake and complain about its icky foreignness too

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
trump has cost the tax payers nearly $100m already between his trips to florida, melania living in new york and his idiot sons lol

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

LinYutang posted:

if your wife has a tough time getting a job with a CS degree she has far deeper problems

listen, that's a man's wife you are criticizing, it's the internet, so it's easy to forget, but if you forgot in a bar it wouldn't end well

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

BedBuglet posted:

As someone who graduated during the Obama presidency with a CS degree, I call so much BS on this. I had a selection of 6 offers before I'd even gotten my diploma. There is no reality in which someone with a CS degree is struggling to find a job because of H1Bs unless you live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

something awful: it's totes ok to rag on people's spouses, got it :discourse:

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

something awful: it's totes ok to rag on people's spouses, got it :discourse:

Yes, this is definitely a thing that I did in the post that didn't mention his spouse.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

BedBuglet posted:

Yes, this is definitely a thing that I did in the post that didn't mention his spouse.

i was too drunk, don't mind me

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
If you add "I'm" to any single word statement Trump makes in a tweet it gives you an unguarded window into his emotional state. "Sad!" becomes "I'm sad!" The president is hurting. Who will hug this president? Who will hug this man?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

BedBuglet posted:

Also even if this did increase wages for CS graduates, limiting the pool of skilled workers is pretty definitely harmful to working class Americans. One criticism of the immigration regime of the last 30 years was that it allowed millions of low skilled workers into the country who could work illegally, suppressing working class wages, while barriers to skilled upper middle class immigration were high enough to maintain a relative scarcity and hence high wages. Limiting H1B visas might help the upper middle class, but it hurts workers who already have less.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
under obummer i was jobless and homeless and friendless and optionless

under trump i am a millionaire with a model for a wife and i have all the free candy i care to eat and also i am best friends with your favorite band's lead singer

maga

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
so Trump really is just this guy then?

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Squalid posted:

Also even if this did increase wages for CS graduates, limiting the pool of skilled workers is pretty definitely harmful to working class Americans. One criticism of the immigration regime of the last 30 years was that it allowed millions of low skilled workers into the country who could work illegally, suppressing working class wages, while barriers to skilled upper middle class immigration were high enough to maintain a relative scarcity and hence high wages. Limiting H1B visas might help the upper middle class, but it hurts workers who already have less.

Also, despite what some people think, there ARE actually jobs that Americans won't do. After Alabama cracked down on illegal immigrants, farmers had a serious problem being able to harvest their crops. People refused to work in those conditions and they had harvest that they had to throw away because there was nobody to do the work. This isn't like a "I read this in a liberal think piece" story, I actually saw this last time I had the misfortune to visit family down there.

Fact is, we may not own slaves any more but we rent them and no American wants to do that kind of work.

EDIT: I know that I'm talking about H2A visas, not H1B when I talk about migrant workers (in case one of you little shits try to show off how smart you are) but the whole system is pretty ridiculous hosed. I went to school with H1Bs and power to them. Nobody with a STEM degree is hurting for work.

i was too drunk, don't mind me

BedBuglet has issued a correction as of 22:45 on Mar 6, 2017

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

BedBuglet posted:

Also, despite what some people think, there ARE actually jobs that Americans won't do. After Alabama cracked down on illegal immigrants, farmers had a serious problem being able to harvest their crops. People refused to work in those conditions and they had harvest that they had to throw away because there was nobody to do the work. This isn't like a "I read this in a liberal think piece" story, I actually saw this last time I had the misfortune to visit family down there.

Fact is, we may not own slaves any more but we rent them and no American wants to do that kind of work.

Manual labor will be eventually completely automated though so when that happens there's gonna be a big social paradigm with how people view jobs, immigration, and economy. There's going to be upheaval.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

BedBuglet posted:

yeah I went to a bad state school and took 6 years to graduate with a pretty mediocre GPA and started at a salaried full-time computer jock job several months before I ever graduated. CS graduates don't even live in the same universe as the people actually struggling in this country lmao most of whom can't even imagine a world in which they get an engineering degree

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

BedBuglet posted:

EDIT: I know that I'm talking about H2A visas, not H1B when I talk about migrant workers (in case one of you little shits try to show off how smart you are) but the whole system is pretty ridiculous hosed. I went to school with H1Bs and power to them. Nobody with a STEM degree is hurting for work.

latin americans dont have different fuckin brain architecture you know. americans would do those jobs if they offered pay commensurate w their demands in the paradigm of american labor

if field labor paid like union construction—another dangerous, very physical occupation performed outdoors, in which education isnt especially relevant but skill from experience is v relevant—it could probably attract american labor like the construction industry manages to

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Lastgirl posted:

Manual labor will be eventually completely automated though so when that happens there's gonna be a big social paradigm with how people view jobs, immigration, and economy. There's going to be upheaval.

Eventually but I don't buy the "social upheaval" dream. A large portion of manual labor jobs won't affect citizens and the jobs that do, people just won't care enough. People are remarkably less motivated than our ancestors to actually do poo poo. The thing is, this isn't like the Luddites and textile machines (and history shows how effective they are), it's a gradual change. It's self checkout lines at the grocery, it's robot assembly lines making cars, and it's Amazon. People bitch about Walmart crushing local businesses but they don't have poo poo on Amazon. You may not think of it as automation but they've streamlined consumerism to where you're just buying from the middle man. People aren't going to stage a revolt against Amazon. They're going to bitch and whine on some Vox article that maybe 100 people read. It'll be a few decades before we actually get rid of manual labor and it'll just end up being the new normal.

Anyhew, super off topic. There's a D&D thread on automation.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

i for my part, can't sleep, i will never sleep

sleep is the carson of death

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Squizzle posted:

latin americans dont have different fuckin brain architecture you know. americans would do those jobs if they offered pay commensurate w their demands in the paradigm of american labor

if field labor paid like union construction—another dangerous, very physical occupation performed outdoors, in which education isnt especially relevant but skill from experience is v relevant—it could probably attract american labor like the construction industry manages to

No, they just feel less entitled and have shittier standards. I don't mean that in a psuedo intellectual dogwhistle racist kind of way, the economic issues in many of their countries are just such that getting paid 40 cents a bucket to pick sweet potatoes in blistering heat is an improvement.

But okay, lets say we do that. Farm hands become all American, salt of the earth people and get a living wage, what happens? Well, obviously the cost of food would have to go up but maybe that's a sacrifice we're willing to make. I'm not against paying more for consumer goods if people get a fair wage. Small farms are hosed. There's no way they can manage to make a profit over corp farms with increased wages. The US agricultural export industry, one of the few things the US is still a major exporter of, literally dies. I mean, we already pay migrant workers poo poo all and the ag business is replacing them with automation. The net effect is that we have more expensive food so that we can create next to no agricultural jobs while also empowering large corp farms who can afford to invest in automation and crushing actual small businesses... much like what happened in every other blue collar industry.

The only way you put Americans in low skill jobs at a fair wage is by engaging in economic protectionism and that just ends with the government indirectly subsidizing jobs. Obviously there are jobs like construction and retail where they have to be done in the US and there is work involving quality products like US machinery but we largely don't have an economy that can support blue collar to the extent it could for our parents and grandparents.

BedBuglet has issued a correction as of 01:37 on Mar 7, 2017

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

BedBuglet posted:

No, they just feel less entitled and have shittier standards. I don't mean that in a psuedo intellectual dogwhistle racist kind of way, the economic issues in many of their countries are just such that getting paid 40 cents a bucket to pick sweet potatoes in blistering heat is an improvement.

But okay, lets say we do that. Farm hands become all American, salt of the earth people and get a living wage, what happens? Well, obviously the cost of food would have to go up but maybe that's a sacrifice we're willing to make. I'm not against paying more for consumer goods if people get a fair wage. Small farms are hosed. There's no way they can manage to make a profit over corp farms with increased wages. The US agricultural export industry, one of the few things the US is still a major exporter of, literally dies. The net effect is that we have more expensive food and wouldn't grow much all so that the few agricultural jobs that still exist in the US go to Americans... much like every other blue collar industry.

The only way you put Americans in low skill jobs at a fair wage is by engaging in economic protectionism and that just ends with the government indirectly subsidizing jobs. Obviously there are jobs like construction and retail where they have to be done in the US and there is work involving quality products like US machinery but we largely don't have an economy that can support blue collar to the extent it could for our parents and grandparents.

we would, if my party stopped obstructing efforts to raise taxes on our wealthiest citizens...

Lindsey O. Graham has issued a correction as of 01:20 on Mar 7, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

america can do what other countries have done for almost two centuries and swindle people from india to work in slave conditions on farms

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

The economic argument for not ending basically slavery is specious as gently caress because these sorts of things always have a big economic exploitation dimension

I guess we're lucky no one in the confederate states did the whole Adult In The Room routine and end the civil war before it even started by asking how much Honest Abe would have people pay for cotton

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the us govt might have to support agriculture w some kind of subsidies???? :ohdear: scrap the plan,theyd never figure out a way to do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

might as well ask a dog to gently caress a hole thru the moon

• Locked thread