Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
:siren: NOW ON REVELATION :siren:

What is Fire Emblem: Fates?

It's 3 Fire Emblem games revolving around a large core of characters, by playing on both sides before going into SUPER SECRET route that combines both sides together. It is a spiritual successor to Awakening via mechanics and cameos, but by and large it's a standalone story.

Whatcha doing here?
I'm not gonna be Mr. Tutorial on how to play a Fire Emblem game. I'm gonna assume you know the basics and came from the Awakening thread at some point. Anything I explain will go into what changed and was added to Fates. If you want to know what Resistance is, or what doubling means, this is the wrong place. Don't expect high effort.

So where do I go for this basic info?

http://lparchive.org/title/fire%20emblem

Here. You should probably read Awakening if you literally never read any of these and came here because of the mobile game or something.

So how's this gonna be structured?

I'll go Birthright, Conquest, then Revelation on Hard. I might change voting for party members on Conquest because that has no ability to level characters outside of story and it's difficult enough already going full-power.

So you're just going to shortcut everything?

Yes. There's another FE Fates thread that explains everything if you want that here

Also don't spoil things for future events, duh

BEFORE THE BRANCH
Prologue: Ties that Bind
Chapter 1: Nohr
Chapter 2: Gift of Ganglari
Chapter 3: Journey Begins A-B C
Chapter 4: Hoshido A-B-C
Chapter 5: Mother A-B-C

Birthright
Chapter 6: In the White Light A-B
MyCastle 6.5
Chapter 7: A Vow Upheld A-B-C
Paralogue 1
Chapter 8: Fierce Winds A-B-C
Chapter 9: Land of Gods A- B-C
Chapter 10: Ninja Village A-B-C
Chapter 11: To the Sea A-B-C
Chapter 12: Dark Reunion A-B-C
Chapter 13: Another Hope A-B-C
Armory MyCastle update
Chapter 14: Light Scatters A-B-C
Chapter 15: Wolfskin Peak A-B-C
Chapter 16: Pleasure Palace A-B-C
Xenologue: Before Awakening A-B
Chapter 17: Lost in the Ice A-B-C-D
Paralogue 2 A-B-C-D
Chapter 18: Leo A-B-C
Paralogue 3: Surprise Duet A-B-C-D
Chapter 19: Rainbow Sage A-B-C
Paralogue 9: Saizo vs. Saizo A-B-C
Chapter 20: Fort Dragonfall A-B
Paralogue 6: Herbal Remedy A-B-C
Chapter 21: Burning Falls A-B
Paralogue 12: Sweet Dreams A-B-C-D
Chapter 22: Hidden Capitol: A-B-C
Paralogue 8: A Great Hunt A-B-C
Chapter 23: Camilla A-B-C
Chapter 24: Tears of a Dragon A-B-C
Chapter 25: Traitor Revealed A-B-C
Chapter 26: Xander A-B-C
Chapter 27: King Garon A-B-C
Endgame: Dawn Breaks A-B-C

Conquest

Chapter 6: Embrace the Dark A-B
Chapter 7: A Dragon's Decree A-B-C
Chapter 8: A Cold Reception A-B-C
Paralogue 1 quickie
Chapter 9: Another Trial A-B-C
Chapter 10: Unhappy Reunion A-B-C
Chapter 11: Rainbow Sage A-B-C
Chapter 12: Bitter Intrigue A-B-C
Chapter 13: Uprising A-B-C-Mini-Update
Chapter 14: Voice of Paradise A-B-C
Chapter 15: The Black Pillar A-B-C
Chapter 16: Invasion A-B-C-D
Chapter 17: Den of Betrayal A-B-C
Chapter 18: Black and White A-B-C
Paralogue 19: Great Heroism A-B-C
Chapter 19: Kitsune Lair A-B-C
Paralogue 20: Ultimate Power A-B-C-D
Chapter 20: Winds of Change A-B-C
Paralogue 21: Bright Smile A-B-C
Chapter 21: Eternal Stairway A-B-C
Paralogue 16: Abducted A-B-C-D
Chapter 22: Sakura A-B-C
Chapter 23: Possessed A-B-C
Chapter 24: Hinoka A-B-C
Chapter 25: Ryoma A-B-C
Chapter 26: Treason A-B-C
Chapter 27: The Empty King A-B-C
Endgame: Night Breaks Through A-B-C

Revelation

Chapter 6: Into the Ground
Chapter 7: Unspeakable World A-B-C
Chapter 8: Traitor's Brand A-B-C
Chapter 9: Wanderer A-B
Chapter 10: Voice of a God A-B
Chapter 11: Mutual Enemies A-B
Chapter 12: Frozen Sea A-B-C
Chapter 13: A Lost Peace A-B-C
Chapter 14: Orders A-B-C
Chapter 15: Rainbow Sage A-B-C
Chapter 16: White Flames A-B
Chapter 17: Black Flames A-B-C
Chapter 18: Veiled Kingdom A-B-C
Paralogue 4: Fight or Flight A-B
Paralogue 5: Bold Approach A-B-C
Paralogue 7: Father and Liege A-B
Paralogue 10: Hunter and Prey A-B
Paralogue 11: A Long Grudge A-B
Paralogue 13: Truly Talented A-B
Paralogue 14: After the End A-B
Paralogue 15: Hidden Bravery A-B
Paralogue 17: Two Defenders A-B
Paralogue 18: Nutty Family A-B
Paralogue 22: Abrupt Clash A-B
Chapter 19: Hidden Strings A-B
Chapter 20: Seeds of Doubt A-B
Chapter 21: Going Forward A-B
Chapter 22: Memories A

Tae fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Revelation Supports
Fight me, Subaki! I know that I can take you down.
How about, "I love you, schmoopie!" And "You're sooooooooooo sweet!"
Now, hand over those needles. I'm feeling stabby!
That's OK! Detective Princess Elise is on the case!
They're calling us "the twins"! We can't let them treat us this way! They're wrong!

Conquest Supports
Birthright Supports

Tae fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 30, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Gonna warn ya, there's gonna be a lot of stuff happening that I won't explain because the game goes full-force with mechanics, but then slowly teaches you what the hell you just saw in the following chapters.

First major change is that Lunatic keeps the seeding of a unit's growths, meaning their levels are effectively "fixed" in place as soon as you start the game. Outside of that, more enemy units being tougher and such are still the norm as you higher in difficulty.

The Avatar system is back, though you're limited to two types of bodies instead of three. Male is basically this dopey guy and slightly older guy but still dopey because the outfit doesn't really help.

I'm going pure default as canon by the birthright boxart, because I feel that's appropriate.

Sticking with the default name because the Avatar are basically their own characters, for the good and the bad.

So let's go over this new creation menu. Corrin is not Robin in naturally being able to switch to any class. He has to pick one alternative, since each character in Fates has just one in addition to their default class.

Boon is the percentage increase for a stat, Bane is a reduction.

I really wish they would just show us the stat changes instead of using code words.

So if you want to go super min-max, you'd pick a stat you want to focus on like more damage, defense, or speed and pick Luck as a bane because Luck is the least useful. Boon/Bane also gives a few points towards your base stats as well.

So clearly I'm going to pick a speedy swordsman as my alt class. A defensive, physically weak samurai. Total minmax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VbmMEgdODY

I'm gonna give a slight spoiler: You will remember these words forever and forever when I'm done

Wait, don't drown yourself! I just got started!

Never mind, she's just doing fancy swimming/flying through the water thing.

Aaaand now we cut to a large scale battle?

The medieval army has gathered to battle this samurai flipping lobster, a dangerous foe indeed!

Hoshido and Nohr are the two feuding kingdoms, a real East vs. West thing they got going. Samurai and Knights.

Just need some Vikings and we're all set.

I will accept your challenge, "high prince." But I'm no general.

I am crown prince Xander of Nohr!

Personally, I think General is a bigger deal on the battlefield than some prince but what do I know.

The classic shot of two forces about to collide.

That horse is going to be SO sore when it lands....

And now I jump straight into battle, with some red head named Hinoka.

If you're worried, don't be. All your siblings are here with you. The Nohrians don't stand a chance!

There's gonna be a LOT of distractions in this prologue. Like I warned, they will throw all the mechanics without explaining because this is kinda media res.

So the first mission is killing all those enemies, but it's a false thing because the tutorial is gonna have me kill like 2 people.

There's a ton of named characters that are revealed in this mission, but I'm just sticking to Corrin for now.

Nohr Prince is your standard Lord-esque sword user, and he comes with two skills. The first slot is a new feature in Fates, being Personal Skills. Each and every character has their own unique skill, which helps solves the problem beyond growths of "why should I take X Cavalier over Y?"

Supportive-When user is the support unit, if the lead unit has a C Support or higher, the lead unit’s Hit Rate +10, damage +2 and damage received -2

If you make Corrin a support dude, he'll make his partner a real powerhouse and a little tankier.

Nobility-Experience gained x 1.2

Man, if you thought Robin's Veteran skill was busted, Corrin straight up gets extra EXP regardless if he's paired up or not. There's a very slight chance Corrin isn't your first maxed level character in your party unless you just make him support all day.

Looking at my target, we see two major changes here. First, Bronze weapons cannot activate crits or skills so they are by far just for hitting stuff. However, they are extremely accurate and prevents accidental kills via Luna if you're into that.

Second is that there's no durability counter. Just about all weapons have unlimited durability, outside of staves. In response, all the weapons have been re-balanced for that change. No matter stuffing your characters inventories with 5 Iron Swords a spare Killer Sword.

Don't look at the spoiler!!!

Yeah, I'm done futzing around.

I like how the portraits change depending on the impending result of the battle. Corrin doesn't give a crap while the foot soldier is going to have a really bad time.

Oh right. Characters have feet now. And they made sure you see they have feet because they made Corrin barefoot for...reasons.

Meanwhile

Really nice effect that Fates added for battle transitions.

Was that cowardly attack on my people your doing as well, princeling?
...I have nothing to say to you. Surrender now. If you refuse...you die here.

I mean, he has a point. Ryouma can't double Xander to take advantage of the accuracy.

OR CAN HE??!

Meanwhile, again

You know me too well, dear little brother!

Camille flies over to some sort of orange glowy thing.

A symbol comes up and suddenly the entire river is dried up. We'll see how that really works next time.

Yaay, it worked! The river dried up!
I would never let you down, darling. Now, everyone follow me.
Elise, you're not ready for the front lines. Stay back.
Camilla and I will take care of the Hoshidans.

But I thought only royals held that power....
Yeah, which means there must be some real big shots over there. Suits me just fine. I've always wanted to use a Nohrian royal for target practice!
Stay focused, Corrin. The Nohrians brought their heavy hitters this time.

*Battles commence, reinforcements arrive*

WOW, YOU'RE NOT EVIL AS gently caress HUH

Dammnit, their reinforcements have arrived. I'll go scout out how many there are. Takumi, Sakura, stay with Corrin.
Understood.
Y-yes. Good idea.

*Hinoka leaves*

The Nohrian royals are no pushovers...We'll have to work together to beat them. As the eldest, I'll guess you're in charge. Tell me what to do and I'll do it.

Uh okay, so I have to command this whole army now and-

Will you slow down, it's just the prologue!

And now an enemy showed up out of nowhere. Or more specifically, from Hoshidan lines which is....confusing.

It's an ambush! Sakura, stay back. You aren't equipped to fight.
Takumi! Corrin! I'm counting on you two. Work together to defeat that soldier!
Be careful, Corrin!

With my bow, I can shoot this one from here. I'll soften him up, and then you can jump in and finish him off. Got it?

Yeah got it. Just let me kill already.

So here's one of the other defining changes of Fates compared to Awakening. Attacking adjacent to another character with trigger a pair-up attack, 100%. The downside of reliability is that they will not trigger attack skills like Luna and their damage output is half of what they would normally do. The other change is that the extra attack only happens when adjacent, and not paired up as a single unit.

More on that, but it's a big change from just having two characters S ranked spamming double Luna all day.

A strike from Takumi and Corrin finisher later, the prologue is done.

You were amazing, Corrin.
That went well. Probably because SOMEONE gave you good advice....And you're welcome, by the way.

Yeah sure buddy. Older brother says be quiet.

No time to talk! Let's see how Ryoma's doing.

I'll be fine. I'm glad to see you're all safe. Enemy reinforcements are headed this way. I want you to get rid of them. Corrin, I'm counting on you to keep Hinoka and the others safe.

Wait, what

Quickly, come join us! Your family has come to take you home where you belong.
Quiet, Nohrian filth! Corrin is my brother and a prince of Hoshido!
On the contrary, Corrin is MY brother and a prince of Nohr!
Corrin! I was so worried about. Don't ever wander away from me again!
I'm glad you're OK, Corrin. You must the devil's own luck!
Yaaay! We got our brother back!

I'm sensing confusion here....also, gonna assume they didn't see me murder the poo poo out of two Nohr guys.

Nohrian scum! First you kidnap him, now you lie to him?! Corrin is MY brother, not yours!
You are mistaken. Corrin is my sweet little brother. You may not have him.
Don't be fooled by their words. You belong with your true family in Hoshido!
We have loved you and raised you since you were a child. Come home, little prince. WE can live as a family once more!

Okay, maybe I was kidnapped??

Come home to Hoshido, Corrin!
No, Corrin! Nohr is your home!

*Kamui is the japanese name for Corrin

[All translations by https://kantopia.wordpress.com/]

Units Joined

Corrin

Class: Nohrian Prince
Weapons: Sword
Skills:
Supportive-When user is the support unit, if the lead unit has a C Support or higher, the lead unit’s Hit Rate +10, damage +2 and damage received -2
Nobility-Experience gained x 1.2

Growth Rates
HP: 60%
STR: 60%
MAG: 40%
SKL: 45%
SPD: 45%
LCK: 55%
DEF: 55%
RES: 35%

So despite picking slow, Corrin still has a 45% growth rate in speed. It's really hard to make a bad Corrin, just because of the absurd default growths and ability to outlevel your average mission on regular usage.

I mean, there was poo poo ton of other units introduced but I'll get to them. I have 3 whole games to do that.

Tae fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 18, 2017

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Now all we need is a third Fates LP and it'll really be times three.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Out of mild curiosity will you and Mantis314 be doing the two different starting stories?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Your screenshots are pretty blurry, any chance you could record at a higher res?

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I think the gameplay is great, but I think for the franchise the game itself is mediocre.

Still, I'm going to enjoy this LP. :)

Quick question, will we be allowed to discuss the things that are bad about this game when they come up?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

How are you recording this?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

cokerpilot posted:

Out of mild curiosity will you and Mantis314 be doing the two different starting stories?

I have no idea what he's doing, I already stated my order.

SSNeoman posted:

Your screenshots are pretty blurry, any chance you could record at a higher res?

That IS higher res. 3DS is just that blurry when at that size, I'll reduce it back to 600 in the next update because wow it's huge even on my monitor.

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Quick question, will we be allowed to discuss the things that are bad about this game when they come up?

I mean, anything's free game when it's shown.

tithin posted:

How are you recording this?

3DS capture unit.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tae posted:

Growth Rates
HP: 60%
STR: 60%
MAG: 40%
SKL: 45%
SPD: 45%
LCK: 55%
DEF: 55%
RES: 35%

:stare:
:stonk:
:stonklol:

395/355 percent total growth (considering/ignoring magic growth respectively).
loving hell. FE7 Hector has 335 total growth (with a 0% magic growth due to the GBA mechanics) and he's one of the best lords in the series; Ike has 365/345 total growths, and ditto.
What do modern lords eat in their diet?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Meanwhile, none of that actually happened!

Shades of Awakening, slowly opening the eyes as the game begins for realz.

Except instead of Chrom and Lissa, it's two maids.

I mean, that's not a bad trade-off.

Listen, we can either blame the lack of power that he sleeps on top of the sheets, or we can call Corrin a weirdo.

Your brother is a fearsome opponent, is he not?
Ugh. Fine. I'm still not completely awake though...

Sure thing!

Okay, maybe waking up to two maids isn't great if they literally freeze your face off every time.

That's how we deal with slugabeds in the Ice Tribe!
*sigh* Trust me, I know. I wish I could have finished the dream I was having though...
Interesting. Do tell-what kind of dream was it?
It was...strange. Some people who looked like Hoshidans kept calling me their brother. But all of my brothers and sister are here in Nohr....
Ah. Lord Corrin, perhaps we should talk about your dream another time?
It's time for you to get going, milord. Prince Xander is waiting for you!

*Time passes*

Corrin is getting the crap beat out of him by Xander for a bit.

That's our brother for you. You won't beat the strongest knight in Nohr by sleeping all day, Corrin.
Giving up so soon, Corrin? I expect more of you. You are a prince of Nohr! Pick up your sword and try again.
But, Xander, I-

Father has been tracking your progress. If you can't land a hit on me today...he may never permit you to leave the Northern Fortress. Ever.
What?! D-did he really say that? That's insane!

I think that's a hint that he doesn't want you to leave, dude

Motivated, are we? Then use that fire to best be in battle, little Prince. If you would see the outside world beyond the view from your window, defeat me.
Prove that al of the time I've devoted to training you has not been in vain!

So we to beat presumably a promoted unit in one-on-one combat. I see no problem with this.

Oh. Right. "Holding back."

Xander's Personal Skill Chivalry-When enemy’s HP is at maximum, damage +2 and damage received -2 during the battle

Elbow Room-When user fights in terrain with no terrain effects, damage +3 during battles

Xander is at his best when he starts the assault on an enemy, and the starting Cavalier skill compliments this plan to one-shot or nearly kill any unit he touches.

Elbow Room in general is an absurd skill, since most of the game has no terrain bonus. So right now, Xander has +5 attack against Corrin at the start. Fun.

Uh, the math does not work out for Corrin and I have no standard Vulnerary on me.

Yeeeeah I'm trying, bro

*pant*...*pant*...
Hmm, looks like that wound needs attention. In that case....

Ah! There was a Dragon Vein here?
Yes. You should have sensed it as well. The blood of dragons flows in your veins, as it does in all royals. You must learn to harness this draconic power wherever you may find it. Heal your wounds, Corrin, then find the courage to come at me again.

Okay so "dragon veins" are basically like gimmicks that royal characters can activate and poo poo happens. Apparently they apear literally anywhere and become anything...?

And it's powered by dragon heritage. Because Fire Emblem.

So running like a coward gets me almost back to full which is actually better to avoid Xander's PSkill.

Good. Now that you've recovered some of your strength, try again!

Huh. despite my attempts, he still gained speed.

Corrin, dad said to beat Xander. Murdering the horse also was not in the contract

Well done, Corrin.

Thanks, Xander. I couldn't have done it without your, uh, tough love.
I disagree. I believe you have natural talent. Someday, you could be the greatest warrior in all of Nohr.
Now you're just teasing me.
You know me, Corrin. I never joke about serious matters. I mean what I say.

Good lord

Xander...

Leo, he didn't mean-
Calm yourself, little brother. You really are competitive to a fault. As I've always said, you're a talented mage with formidable magical abilities.

I would...hope so?

Hmm. Well, just remember that pointy metal sticks are not the only path to power.
Oh, that reminds me of something I've been meaning to tell you, Leo.
Something important enough to derail this conversation?
Well...your collar is inside out.

It would appear someone got dressed while still half-asleep.
Ugh! Wh-why didn't you say something earlier?! *runs away for a moment*
Haha. Sorry, Leo. But that sort of ting is what makes you so very lovable.
Absolutely.
Hmph...

*The boys turn their attention behind them*

If you did, let me know right away so I can take extra-special care of you...
I'm perfectly fine, Camilla. As always, thanks for your concern.
I was worried about you too, Corrin!
I know, Elise. You wouldn't visit me all the time if you didn't care so much, right?
Heehee...Do you like it when I visit?
Of course! I'm not allowed to leave this fortress, so visits are all I look forward to!

I'm starting to have tiny doubts that Corrin's situation is pretty screwed up if he's locked up like Rapunzel for some reason.

Yaaay! I'm glad to hear that. Spending time with my brother makes me so happy!

Okay Fates, I think we get it. They love Corrin very, very, very, much

....Oookay then

Well said, Camilla. Every one of you is so dear to me. You've all been so patient and kind since I lost my memory....

Goddamnit, always with the amnesia

I don't even mind being quarantined when I'm with you. I'm so grateful to have you all.
We are grateful to have you as well. But, Corrin, I have some-

Father asked us to take you back to the capital!
Really?! Does that mean...
Yes. It means you can finally leave this drafty fortress. You must have been so lonely all this time, separated from the rest of the world.
But now you'll be free!
Isn't that wonderful?!

YEAH SO EXCITED!!!!!!

Maybe now I can join you all as a soldier, fighting for Nohr?
There will be plenty of time to discuss the details with Father. Let us depart.

*Time passes as they prepare to leave*

Gunter has asked me to go with you to the capital so I can look after your horses.
Glad to hear it! I'd miss you if you weren't coming along too.
Lilith, are the horses ready?
Yes, milord. Everything is ready, and the horses seem excited for the trip. They are all very fond of Lord Corrin. Probably from all his time in the stables...

Everbody Loves Corrin™

Why, he even nursed an injured baby bird back to health one time!
Ah...
Lilith, is something wrong?
Oh...no. It's nothing.
Isn't it obvious, Corrin? Lilith is sad because she's going to miss you!
Miss me? But she's coming with us.
Oh, right! Well then, I bet she's sad 'cause she won't have you all to herself anymore. You've always been especially fond of our brother, haven't you, Lilith?

Everbody Loves (to bone) Corrin™

As gripping as all this is, we should be on our way. We mustn't keep Father waiting.
Yes, let's go!

Felicia and I will accompany Lord Corrin. We may be gone for some time. Take good care of the place.
Of course! You may rely on us.
I wish you safe travels, Lord Corrin.
Thank you. I hope to see both of you again soon...just not here!

So there's an actual gameplay difference besides romance options in Fates for gender. Jakob goes with you if you're Female Corrin, while Felicia is with us since this run's male. I'll touch more on their difference in the next chapter when I get actual party members.

Tae fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 12, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Xander's Chivalry is actually good in many situations. He's good leading the charge against a group of new enemies and holding chokepoints from advancing threats. The cool thing is that Leo (Spoilers: Leo joins)'s personal actually is sort of a mirror to Xander's in a way: Leo gets a boost when he fights enemies that AREN'T at full HP, making him better to pick off weakened enemies.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
Not gonna quote because I'm on a phone, but you've got a misplaced screenshot when Camilla and Elise show up after the Xander fight.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but did the script for the chapter change depending on whether you had the Birthright or Conquest cartridge plugged in? I remember something about the dialogue being more dubious on the Birthright version.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

For all the flak Fates gets, I do like when they go for the little touches, like Leo's inside-out collar. It's only for this one scene, yet they went ahead and made a full second model of Leo just for a single comedy moment.

That said, I will echo Tae's complaint about the Boon/Bane being in fancy code words instead of outright telling you what stat is affected. Some make sense, like Unlucky for the Luck Bane and Sturdy for the Defense Boon, but how am I supposed to know that Calm is the Resistance Boon and that Dull is the Magic Bane right off the bat?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
It's still a step up from FE12's character creation. It's nearly impossible to tell which traits correlate to which stats in that thing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

inthesto posted:

It's still a step up from FE12's character creation. It's nearly impossible to tell which traits correlate to which stats in that thing.

To be fair you can go off of what sounds cool and still come out good in that since there isn't even a bane option.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Let's just take the creepiest element of the Fire Emblem franchise the incest and dial it to infinity
Boy am I glad I stopped at Shadow Dragon.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Sjs00 posted:

Let's just take the creepiest element of the Fire Emblem franchise the incest and dial it to infinity

Yeah, some of the writing decisions re: the spoiler are... Not Great, from what I've seen.

I'll be reading this since I've no interest in playing Fates for a variety of reasons and Tae's a solid LPer.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Sjs00 posted:

It's because of that, I wonder if it'd be a good idea to LP Fates without spoilers if only to address that matter.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sjs00 posted:

Awakening had some of the lowest incest levels in the whole series, though, at least in the localized version.

Like, there are multiple normal, healthy sibling relationships.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So keep in mind that bowl on the center left is where the story is next.

Now zoom....

Zoom more....

Yeah, it's a decently sized kingdom.

Not sure what kind of meeting room this is. Where's the throne? Or at least a bar stool?

Yes, Father. Long have I wished to see you and visit Castle Krakenburg again. I feel like I'm dreaming...
It is only thanks to your diligence that you are here. I am told you are now a warrior almost on par with Xander. You finally possess the strength to be an instrument of Nohr's power in the world.

This is some weird relationship the family has.

I worry about that as well. Isn't it dangerous for Corrin to live outside the fortress's magical barrier?
I appreciate your concern, but I earned my way here and I'm ready to fight.

Well, you kinda didn't. Xander clearly held back and gave you a free hea-eh, sure. Earned your keep.

Corrin, as you know, Nohr is at war with the eastern kingdom of Hoshido.
Yes, Father, I have heard as much.
We of the royal family are descendants of the ancient gods, the First Dragons. As inheritors of that divine strength, we conquer those who oppose us with ease. One who learns to wield tha tpower can destroy an entire army of common troops.

"We couldn't figure out a better name for the dragons in tons of years because of the FAMINE"

I expect no less from you.
I am aware of your expectations, Father. And I have trained every day to become more like my siblings.
Hmm...you show promise. But you will need a suitable weapon in order to serve Nohr.

*sword appears out of random black hole*

This is Ganglari, a sword infused with magic from another world. With this sword at your side, you will crush the Hoshidan army with ease.
Thank you for this generous gift, Father.
Hmm...Generous indeed.
Now, let us see you put that sword to its proper use...Bring out the prisoners!
Yes, sire!
Prisoners?

I want to see your power with my own eyes. Use that sword to strike them down.

BATTLE TIME

Felicia, will you join as well?
Of course! I'm as much a bodyguard as a domestic, after all.
To be honest, I was never that great a tthe domestic stuff anyway.

What is your name, Nohrian prince?
I'm Corrin.

Huh? Have you heard of me?
I am Kaze, a ninja of Hoshido.
Show me what you can do.
Kill them all!

Is something wrong, milord?
I feel....something emanating from the ground. Could it be...

So the green stuff is a dragon vein, which I'll to in a moment because lots of new stuff is happening.

Oni Savages are the Hosidan versions of fighters, that tend to favor more defensive growths. Clubs are axe equivalents.

Samurai are fancy version of Myrmidons, although in this case, there's no actual Myrmidons in Fates.

You may notice that his DEF and RES are lower while his speed's up. Well, thank the Hoshidan stat tax! Basically all their weapons gain some sort of base stat change while Nohr get jack poo poo.

Here's Rinkah. Her PSkill is Fiery Blood, which gives a straight +4 damage if she has less than full HP.

Kaze is here part of a new class in Fates called Ninja. They use 1-2 range weapons called Hidden Weapons, or mostly Shurikens in Hoshidan's case. These are basically debuff weapons. These weapons are weak to bows, but strong against magic.

This is all part of the new weapon triangle in Fates which is: Sword/Magic (red)->Axes/Bows (Green)->Lances/Hidden Weapons (Blue). So bows have weapon advantage against lances, and lances are devastating against tome users.

Bronze Shuriken debuffs SKL/SPD -1, DEF/RES -2, so anyone hit is slower and takes way more damage.

FYI, Shurikens give +2 SPD when equipped because Hoshido gently caress you.

Kaze's PSkill is Miraculous Save-When user is the support unit, the lead unit has a Luck% chance of surviving a fatal attack with 1 HP. It's okay, not one of the better skills.

Whew okay. So here's Gunter, the standard promoted Jeigan unit. His PSkill is Forceful Partner, which gives a lead Corrin +15 hit and +3 damage.

The new ability is Shelter, a level 10 Cavalier skill that puts an adjacent unit in the back-up slot of a pair-up. Great to get a healer or dancer out of trouble in the mix of combat.

Okay. So let me explain what Maid is, first. It is a promoted class, branching from Troubadours. They specialize in Hidden Weapon and Staves, making them the ultimate support unit to weaken the enemy and heal your party.

Felicia's PSKill is Devoted Partner which gives -2 damage received and +2 damage increase for lead Corrin.

Besides that, she comes with RES +2 and Demoiselle, reducing -2 damage for any males within a 2 tile radius.

Iron Dagger debuffs MAG -2, DEF/RES -3. And Daggers are Nohrian weapons, so no bonus stats because middle finger I guess.

Ganglari is an okay sword, being slightly stronger than an Iron Sword.

Right, there's an actual battle. Corrin's gonna Vein it up with this debris here.

Oh! Th-that's amazing! You blew away all the debris!
Heh...Well done.
Excellent plan, milord-now we can hide in there and ambush our foes.

The veins opened up a little chokehold formation with the glowly bits healing 20% of HP every turn.

remain focused, milord. This is no mock battle-a mistake here could cost you your life.
You should know I'm trained to use daggers-up close or thrown from afar. I can even hit enemies hiding behind walls, which might come in handy!

That sounds mighty silly when you say it out loud!

You would do well to consider them before you attack.
I'm sure you know this, milord, but it's useful to stay close to your allies. If you fight side by side, you can help each other in battle.
Indeed. Supporting each other will likely be the key to victory.
Maids can also use staves to heal wounds. If you get hurt, let me know right away!

Gunter will solo the right side since he can handle the debuffs and samurai, while Corrin will tackle Rinkah's squad.

A ninja's shuriken may not cut deep, but it can sap you of your strength. Your death need not come all at once.

I just moved my guys up, the enemy moved down, etc.

One Oni Savage later, Corrin levels everything but MAG and RES.

Gunter killed everyone but Kaze on the right side, which I'll save last.

Behold the might of the Flame Tribe!

Fates definitely upped the stakes in battle effects, as flames erupt whenever Rinkah strikes with her club.

Felicia flips out her weapon from underneath the skirt like an assassin and apparently discharges ice on her weapons on impact.

Nohrian scum....

Ninjas get fancy vanishing effects when entering and leaving battle.

Hidden Weapons are swung like swords when in melee range, which gets hilarious with some of the Shurikens.

This is pretty standard for Felicia, as she's the more magical of the pair over Jakob, who's a physical growths guy.

A small thing to note is that Felicia and Jakob are special in starting out promoted, but gain levels normally like a starting unit. Their internal levels are low, if you remember that mess from Awakening, and both have a level cap of 40 instead of 20. So they're not going to be useless if you use them long-term.

Anyways, Kaze's down.

I regret...nothing....

Corrin leveled up again, missing only SKL and DEF...despite the fact I specifically made DEF his strongest suite.

Phew! They're really tough, aren't they? I hope all Hoshidans aren't this strong.

You...you thought beaten up prisoners were strong? Oh dear.

Don't just stand there, idiot boy. Finish them!
But, Father...they're beaten. You want me to execute helpless prisoners?
You dare question me?! I order you to kill them!
No! It's wrong!
I won't argue the point any further.

Corrin, what did you think was gonna happen after you won

WELP, that's why he's big dick king of Nohr I guess!

Gods!

Dude, you literally just got of what I'm assuming was lifetime quarantine. You are bad at this "freedom" thing.

Hm?
Corrin! What are you-
Unbelievable...
You would defy me directly, Corrin?!

Fine, Xander, you kill them. And if anyone gets in your way, kill them too.
Ngh.

This is a slow reunion, I dunno

*Walks over to Corrin*

No, Xander. I won't let you do this!

OUCH

Why do you refuse, Corrin? You know the Hoshidans are our sworn enemies.
I know, but...this is different. These people can't fight anymore. Why not show mercy?

No no no! Leo, what should we do?
*sigh* Why does this fall to me?

So Leo just tree'ed the remaining soldiers. Now he's...Treeo?

Hmph.
I only ask that you would be merciful in your punishment of him...
Enough! I will consider the matter later. *leaves*

Agreed. Now hush.
Leo, did you-
Enough, both of you. The battle is over.
Mark my words, Corrin...One day an act of kindness may be the death of you.
Perhaps, but I'm kind, I will die without regrets.

Is he trying to get locked back up or....

...Well said.
Guard! I would examine the prisoners' belongings. Bring their remains to my quarters.
Yes, Your Highness!

How did you only realize it now

Was only enough to weaken them, yes. I should have followed Father's orders.
But Camilla and Elise always make such a fuss when I do anything to upset you.
Thank you, Leo. I'm sorry for teasing you about your collar.
*sigh* You can repay me by not mentioning it again.

It was, but I doubt this will be the last we hear of this. Father never forgets a slight.

*Later that night*

Disappear now, lest you be spotted by our king.
... *runs off*
Tch. I am not a hostage to be freed. You said your name is Corrin?
When next we meet, I will make you pay for this humiliation!
I was hoping the next time we met, it could be as friends.
Softhearted fool! I am a Hoshidan warrior. You do not understand what you suggest.
I understand that right now Hoshido and Nohr are at war.
But I'm trying to plan ahead for the day the war is over and we can live in peace.

I see those rumors are true.

B...burn?

If we do meet again, the world will have no doubt taught you the error of your ways. *runs off*

Units Joined

GUNTER

Class sets: Starts as Great Knight, Cavalier,Mercenary, Wyvern Rider
PSkill: Forceful Partner-If the Avatar is the lead unit, Avatar’s Hit rate +15, damage +3

Growth Rates
HP: 65
STR: 25
MAG: 0
SKL: 15
SPD: 5
LCK: 20
DEF: 25
RES: 0

This ain't Frederick, Seth or Titania. This is hardcore Jeigan. You're gonna rely on those base stats and that's all you're gonna get. At least with PSkills introduced, he still has some use beyond fighting now.

Felicia

Class/Alt: Starts as Maid, Troubadour, Mercenary
PSkill: Devoted Partner-If the Avatar is the lead unit, Avatar’s damage +2, damage received -2

Growth Rates
HP: 40
STR: 20
MAG: 45
SKL: 45
SPD: 55
LCK: 65
DEF: 20
RES: 35

Outside of speed, Felicia isn't anything special. But when you consider her main job should be staying away from 2 squares at all cost, it's not so bad. Having a debuffer and healer in one slot is valuable in itself.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I really, really can't take Nohr seriously, every 2 screenshots this update I was expecting Corrin to go into the Are we the baddies? Mitchell and Webb sketch.

E: although I'll gladly concede that Windmire looks really cool.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Omobono posted:

I really, really can't take Nohr seriously, every 2 screenshots this update I was expecting Corrin to go into the Are we the baddies? Mitchell and Webb sketch.

E: although I'll gladly concede that Windmire looks really cool.

Neither nation is well written, but I tolerate Hoshido even less. Nohr's obsession with being as obviously evil as possible is kind of funny, while Hosido's Mary Sue-esque perfection gets old fast.

chiasaur11 posted:

Awakening had some of the lowest incest levels in the whole series, though, at least in the localized version.

Hoo boy, does this game's writing make me miss Awakening. Awakening was a janky mess of a story, but it was mostly inoffensive and wasn't determined to nearly as creepy as this one will. Robin is better than Corrin in basically every way as a character and that should say something.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Geostomp posted:

Neither nation is well written, but I tolerate Hoshido even less. Nohr's obsession with being as obviously evil as possible is kind of funny, while Hosido's Mary Sue-esque perfection gets old fast.

The two nations in Fates are just as cartoonishly good/evil as any other pair of rival states in the FE series. It's just that when you're on the side of the bad guys, the writers are incapable of making the characters look sympathetic, so the whole thing looks really god drat stupid as a result.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

It's because of that, I wonder if it'd be a good idea to LP Fates without spoilers if only to address that matter.

I'd be okay with it because I will never ever play this game for the story

chiasaur11 posted:

This is really funny but also sad

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think 4 updates might break the 1st page.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Tae posted:

I think 4 updates might break the 1st page.

Okay then.

chiasaur11 posted:

My issue with Awakening is Nowi's outfit. I haven't played it but those clothes should not be on such a young-looking body.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

AweStriker posted:

My issue with Awakening is Nowi's outfit. I haven't played it but those clothes should not be on such a young-looking body.

Didn't they touch it up in the localization...? IIRC they did for Tharja, not that that was much of an improvement...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Nothing was touched visual wise in the character designs. The only thing that was changed was the Beach DLC when they put a curtain over Tharja's butt because....bikini's are too hot?

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
It was amazing, since by covering up her butt, they managed to make the picture seem more revealing than it actually was! Good job Nintendo!

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I'm a fan of Garon's ashen-gray, sunken-eyed, obviously evil portrait. It's the silly two-color beard that pulls it together.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Geostomp posted:

I was kind of hoping for the writing to pull a Romeo and Juliet angle to this but now I am probably just as dissapointed as I would have been.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ajkalan posted:

I'm a fan of Garon's ashen-gray, sunken-eyed, obviously evil portrait. It's the silly two-color beard that pulls it together.
It gets more hilarious if you imagine the one tiny patch of jet black hair on his chin is what Garon's hair color used to be, and you notice that none of his children have jet black hair. Which becomes double hilarious when you realize that outside of two exceptions, all of the children in the game inherit their mother's hair color.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Garon is probably my favorite character in the game, because while nobody is really well written, at least Garon is so clearly having fun being a cartoonishly huge rear end in a top hat.

His happy portrait is also a goddamn treasure.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

inthesto posted:

The two nations in Fates are just as cartoonishly good/evil as any other pair of rival states in the FE series. It's just that when you're on the side of the bad guys, the writers are incapable of making the characters look sympathetic, so the whole thing looks really god drat stupid as a result.

Nah, Fates doesn't even reach the usual low bar of "the good nation has done bad things and/or has bad people, and the bad nation has a clear reason for what they do, even if it's stupid."

I mean, Plegia worshiped Dragon Satan, while Ylisse was run by the nicest people in the world, but the game made a point that a decade or so back, Ylisse was a bunch of murderous assholes, and Plegia had legitimate grievances. Still pretty black and white, but worlds ahead of Fates.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I too will be eagerly following this thread since I don't really have an interest in playing it myself. I like Fire Emblem but I really don't like the story being split into two games. Hurrah for marketing! :v:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Four more posts to a new page, huh.

So are you planning to use female Corrin for Conquest?

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

blizzardvizard posted:

Four more posts to a new page, huh.

So are you planning to use female Corrin for Conquest?

Personally, I don't see a point to that. In fact, there are reasons to do it the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm doing box art canon in the first update. I'm not gonna miss any supports since there's revelation.

• Locked thread