Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tallboarLittlehand
Sep 7, 2011
Rinkah. Let's have a good Oni Savage. This kids kinda hard to ruin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Effie so the child can be Keaton but stronger.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
I vote Rinkah because I like her style and wish she turned out better in my games :smith:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Daw. Of course Benny is a good dad. And honest on what bravery really means. :unsmith:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sure, Effie.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Effie works quite well.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

yes, Effie sounds great.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Effie's the mom. Updated list for married now:

quote:

List of married Revelation:
-Peri
-Camilla
-Mozu
-Kaden
-Hana
-Selena
-Nyx
-Charlotte
-Beruka
-Effie

One more after this.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I was surprised when I saw that some moms just completely tanked the growths for their kids. I don't think Awakening was as severe, so you could pretty much pair up any mom with any of the men and still get a battering ram of a kid

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Keaton...let's not fool ourselves. I am the stronger of us.

Keaton visits his kid voluntarily, which unfortunately puts him in the upper tier of dads in this game.

One of the more unorthodox chapter titles.

Welp, by picking Effie, that little strand of hair that shows off the mother's hair might as well not exist.

*sniff* They have such a nice scent too. So earthy, so rich. I should find the very nicest one and give it to Daddy as a present. But maybe if I pick a fresh one from one of those trees...
Huh? What's up there? Behind those branches? It looks like some sort of weird portal... *sniff, sniff*

Oh, you can smell through portals. Good to know. I will take any info at this point, because the lore of Fates clearly want to be hidden as much as possible.

*Meanwhile*

Oh, we're back to unrelated people in these again.

My daughter, Velouria, is beyond it in her Deeprealm.
I'm looking forward to meeting your daughter. You've said she's more like you than her mother—right down to the tail?
Yup! Pretty much exactly like me. Except that she prefers her own company. A real lone wolf!
She's not used to being around others. You might find her...overwhelming. She really wears her heart on her sleeve. Like, REALLY really.

Sometimes I wonder if it's the translator's fault or the japanese for constantly using the wrong faces at times.

Watch out—trouble approaches!
What? It seems we're about to be ambushed.
Not the best timing. I hate to keep Velouria waiting.
But I'm game for a fight.

What seems like a simple rout mission is actually an evil designed bombardment on a funneled army. There's three Fire Orbs, surrounded by a bunch of Faceless with annoying skills.

The gimmick here is that the Dragon Veins here shut off ALL magic for one turn. Another chapter that I'm thankful that I'm overleveled for.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

I was surprised when I saw that some moms just completely tanked the growths for their kids. I don't think Awakening was as severe, so you could pretty much pair up any mom with any of the men and still get a battering ram of a kid

Awakening provided a flat stat bonus from the parents's stats and went with a different growth formula. (Kid growth+dad growth+mom growth/3 instead of kid's growth plus mom's.) Add in overall higher growths in Awakening, and it's pretty easy to see why Fates's kids are mechanically different.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

Oh, you can smell through portals. Good to know. I will take any info at this point, because the lore of Fates clearly want to be hidden as much as possible.

You say that like Fates has lore to begin with.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, looks like we have the entire cast of Little Red Riding Hood distilled into one character.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Velouria is basically incapable of not being queen shitwrecker and I've got to think she'll be even better with Effie as her mom

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Cythereal posted:

So, looks like we have the entire cast of Little Red Riding Hood distilled into one character.

I understand how Velouria is the wolf and little red riding hood combined, but how is she also grandma and the lumberjack? I guess the hair for the grandma and her strength growth for the lumberjack?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Congrats, Saizo. You win most missions in a row because you can't kill for crap. I think almost every kid two missions ago is way past your level now.

To the...west? Yes! On the other side of those mountains! Who could it be...?

But how? I've never shown her where the portal is on her side. It can't be her. But that's definitely her scent coming from the west!

I don't think not telling kids where the portals are has ever worked, considering they are just open all the time.

This Strategist sucks. This is why the silence Dragon Veins exist, to kill this guy. Once the Entrapper is dead, the rest is relatively easy.

Here's an rear end in a top hat move by this mission. While everyone is silenced, my characters are still silenced for another turn after this, while the enemies regain their magic. So basically I'm shut off from healing for two turns while they regain theirs as normal.

So basically don't bring a lot of mages to this map.

Beruka may be a lot of things like being super slow, but she is a strong chucker of axes at mage faces.

But she is super slow

Velouria shows up in the mission on the upper left after a few turns.

*sniff* Velouria? By all the hair in my ears! What are you doing here?
I was hunting for just the right gift for you when I caught your scent! Then I found the portal to your world! I can't believe I found you, my dear, daring, dashing Daddy!
I, uh... Those are a lot of Ds.

Oh. Are we? How about I lend a hand? Or a paw? I've been perfecting my hunting skills off in my Deeprealm.
I'm fiercer than the last time you saw me, Daddy.

Velouria comes with a Beaststone and a Beastrune, which lets her switch from defense to offense at a moment's notice. Not like she needs it with those stats, wowee.

Velo can just hang in that corner there, since the enemies nearby won't move from their spot. And thank goodness you can control her from start. I like her already.

Meanwhile, I have Saizo and Rhajat plugging up the starting fortress tiles since obvious reinforcements would come otherwise.

Killing the Entrapper means I can just retreat map and kill off the chasing Faceless, since they have a mix of Poison Strike and Seal Defense aka Dangerous In Packs.

There's still a couple Sorcerer reinforcements, but they're way in the West so it's not a big worry.

Once enough of the middle forces are eliminated, Velouria can enter the battle and easily solo that Dark Knight+two Adventurers.

Seriously, she's that strong. One-shots the DK, takes like 3 damage from the Adventurers with a Beaststone.

So the "Boss" unit of this map has an interesting idea on combat. Wary Fighter and Vantage sounds like a good idea, especially with Nosferatu.

...Why does he have Vengeance, a skill he literally can't use with Nosferatu.

He drops a Beastrune+ after dying.

Level ups

Ignatius-HP/SKL/SPD/LCK/DEF/RES

Saizo-HP/MAG/SKL/SPD/LCK/DEF

Siegbert-HP/STR

Hana-MAG/SKL/LCK

Sophie-HP/STR/SPD

Jakob-HP/STR/SKL/SPD/DEF

Saizo has 18 speed. Everyday, I apologize to Laslow for calling him slow.

That was fun. Thanks for arranging such a nice game, Daddy.
Um, that wasn't a game, Velouria. I'm not exactly happy to see you here. You could have been hurt.
Daddy, I can see your tail wagging. I know you're happy to see me!
Whuh? My tail's twitching, that's all.

If you've forgotten, Keaton is very much a guy that tries (badly) to hide his feelings.

Now, Velouria, I want you to scamper back to your Deeprealm. Off with you. I'm busy. You know the way out.
Grrrah!
Hrm? Watch your tone, Daughter.
No!
I mean, yes. I'll watch my tone. But I'm not going back. I'm joining your pack, Daddy.

I thought you said she was a lone wolf. Did you...lie, Keaton? Noooo way.

No way. Never. Go, now!
Huh, But, Daddy...I'm so confused. Your tail is wagging YES.
Whuh? Gaah!
Hey, I just remembered. Before I went through the portal, I found this for you. The perfect acorn!
Wow! That's the prettiest acorn I've ever laid eyes on. So glossy! It's like a pearl! From a tree!

Oh, wow! A bat? It's all shriveled. Its wings are ripped up. Did you chew on it?

"Nutty Family" indeed.

Er, am I?
Sure, why not? I guess I am! But as far as you coming with us...? Oh, all right.
Really?!
*wag, wag* *sniff, sniff* *wag, sniff, wag*
Ha! That tickles, Velouria! All right, you're happy. I get it.
I'm sorry. I'm just so glad to be part of your pack at last, Daddy.
All right, all right. But it's not my pack, OK? That's not how this group works.

Ha! There goes my tail again. Welcome, Daughter! Welcome, welcome, welcome, welcome, welcome!
OK, Daddy. Settle down. Now you're embarrassing me!

Unit Joined

Velouria

Class sets: Starts as Wolfskin, Fighter, Knight
PSkill: Goody Basket-At the start of the Turn, Luck% chance of recovering 10% HP

Growth Rates
HP: 62.5
STR: 75
MAG: 0
SKL: 42.5
SPD: 60
LCK: 47.5
DEF: 50
RES: 30

Velouria is a powerhouse who's main weakeness is hitting stuff with her low skill. That said, she has monstrous strength and HP with good speed while being a good tank, something that is actually rare among the party.

PSkill is okay, it's just a bonus to her natural healing abilities from the Wolfskin class.

Starting now...I'm imposing a restraining order on you!

Tae fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 15, 2017

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Velouria has never once disappointed me. My favorite thing for her is to make Camilla her mom, you get distilled stats of loving poo poo up.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Velouria is like the only kid I can routinely count on. All the others need specific combinations of mothers and join times and whatever but Velouria is just an uncontrollable murderbeast no matter what you do

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Niles is the last dad. And yes, I'll show off his gay support before anyone asks.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Slight correction: Keaton passes on the Fighter line to his daughter, not Mercenary.

cheetah7071 posted:

Velouria is like the only kid I can routinely count on. All the others need specific combinations of mothers and join times and whatever but Velouria is just an uncontrollable murderbeast no matter what you do
Velouria as a Berserker is absurdly batshit insane. She will gladly crit-murder everything within spitting distance and then some.

E: Voting for Oboro as Niles' spouse.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Marry him off to Elise.

Yes, marrying Elise to anyone is pretty creepy, but Niles's kid will get some real interesting stats that you can't really pull off on anyone else.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Is Azura still available?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Okay, now I'll vote for Rinkah.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

inthesto posted:

Marry him off to Elise.

Yes, marrying Elise to anyone is pretty creepy, but Niles's kid will get some real interesting stats that you can't really pull off on anyone else.
Seconding, solely for the stats.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
Oboro.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

inthesto posted:

Marry him off to Elise.

This, because I don't care about this kid.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

inthesto posted:

Marry him off to Elise.

Sounds good to me

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Oboro

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

inthesto posted:

Marry him off to Elise.

Anna can perform a similar role, but yeah, among non-DLC characters Elise as the mother gives this kid a useful niche.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Sure, Elise

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Elise.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A ring? My, you certainly don't waste any time, do you?

I don't know why the thread is insistent that Elise has to marry one of Leo's retainers again but sure, okay.

I think less than half of the girls in Fates ended up married after three routes. Revelation was mostly repeats, it seems.

A band of thieves has been prowling around my manor lately. They've heard that I'm storing some precious Nohrian objects here. I consider myself quite a collector of cultural items. So you must understand...

Wait, so when do they have time to do odd jobs back in Conquest? And why is Silas here? At least have Arthur here, since he's a supprot and fits the "Help the needy" role.

I doubt this matters much to great heroes like you. But to preserve Nohr's culture... Would you help?
Absolutely. For Nohr, anything! And we happen to have our best expert on thievery right here.

You traitorous turncoat. You are loyal to Corrin and Corrin only.

Oh! Who, little ol' me? Sure, I know a thing or two about manors and how to crack'em. I know how I'd break in.

Ah, then I place my trust in you. Thank you.

What the hell is that face

The pleasure is mine. Believe me. When I catch petty crooks in the act, they never fail to soil their breeches. It's always good fun to see fools brought low.

*Later that night*

They're outside in the shadows. And they'll be inside soon. Off with you. Or else you'll scare these jokers away.
I have faith in you, Niles. Now, be careful.
Oh, sweet faith! Best I not rely on that. I'm better under cover of darkness. Now, when will they...
Ah! That didn't take long.

You can't hide from me. Come out, come out, whoever you are. You call yourself a thief, blundering in here like that? You're a disgrace to your profession. Come on, show your face!

Apparently mixing Niles and Elise's hair produced...pink?

Nina?! What are you doing here?
Huh? Father?!
Hey, you should be in your Deeprealm. Where I put you.
Hmpf! You didn’t even notice that I broke out of there a ways back! I had to pursue my true calling. That of chivalrous thievery!
Huh? Chivalrous thievery?

Oh, Niles is one of those dads. The "lock up and throw away the portal key" type.

I steal from the rich. I give to the poor. The creep who owns this manor is one of the richest. So here I am. You wouldn’t believe how he's gotten his hoard of treasures. Not that you'd care.
Wait! None of that matters. What's the one thing I've told you, again and again?! No stealing. And all of your jabber about rich and poor doesn't matter!

Ooh, it's been a little while since we had a "No, screw YOU, dad" kid.

Now, let me go...Father.
No. I'm here to round up a bunch of filthy thieves, Daughter.
Hmm. Fine words from one of the filthiest of them.
How dare you, Nina. Now, come with me.
Back off! I'm not going anywhere with you. I'm on the side of right. Out of my way! *hits Niles*

Apologize, now. That might make things right between us. Though I'm still going to make sure you're punished.
You can't make me! And you can't CATCH me! *runs away*

*A moment later*

My friends! Burgle quickly! They're onto us—just grab and go!
Nina, stop. You've deluded yourself that you're on the side of right.
I've dreamed about this, Father. Draining the coffers of the wealthy! Vindicating the poor! We're getting what we need, and then getting out.

Either fighting invisible people or helping the master's sister get a chair. Depends on the month.

Pfft! Don't answer. I don't care. Good-bye, Father.

This chapter is a bit of a timer, but at the same time easy to win. The real objective is to defeat Nina, and then the rest of the enemies will run away. Easy peazy.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

One of the hilarious things about Nina's paralogue is that the designers seemingly set up the map so that the earliest you'd get Nina would be around where Tae is in the game (chapter 18/19), when enemy units are starting to show up promoted. However, recall that you can get Niles as early as chapter 8 of Conquest, and can theoretically get Nina just as early. As a result, the earlier you play this map, the more likely it is you'll find units that cannot do anything because they are given weapons that only their promoted classes can use, such as Knights holding axes.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
I thought Silas was a generally nice dude? I thought he was the sweet childhood friend + honorable knight trope where he'd go out of his way helping the weak, etc. -- unless it was directly at odds with Corrin. Whereas Jakob is a dick to everyone who's not in the royal family.

The Niles-Elise support was... surprisingly not skeevy. Good job Niles.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm not really feeling doing anything nice for Duke Sinisterface here.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

facepalmolive posted:

The Niles-Elise support was... surprisingly not skeevy. Good job Niles.

The English support cut some of Niles' innuendo, like where he complements Elise on her body in the C support.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Melomane Mallet posted:

The English support cut some of Niles' innuendo, like where he complements Elise on her body in the C support.

Fire Emblem: Fates

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Melomane Mallet posted:

We really could've done without that knowledge. In fact, I'm pretty sure we would've preferred it if you hadn't said that.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Melomane Mallet posted:

:gonk:

I take back everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

facepalmolive posted:

:gonk:

I take back everything.

And you wondered why the localizers didn't give a gently caress when working on the script.

• Locked thread