Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Doesn't this game have special things with amiibos? Will you be showing that off?

Edit:
Nice, next page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Part 1

Thanks, Elise. I hope you're right.
All right. Deep breath, and...here we go.
Father! We have something we need to talk to you about!

aaaand now I have nightmares forever

Father?
It sounds like he's with someone....maybe we should come back later.
Hrmph! Who's there?
Oh! Sorry to bother you, Father...
Yes, we apologize if this isn't a good time.
What do you two want?
Father, we're here to apologize. Right, Corrin?
Yes, that's right. I'm sorry for questioning you.
You may enter.

Oh, so he does have a throne.

With...vines? I heard Nohr was poor, but you can't even afford some weed killers?

Ordinarily you would not still be alive.
I understand...
No! Father, I can explain-

As you are my child, Corrin, I will grant you some leeway. I have something in mind for you. A mission. If you complete this task successfully, I will pardon your crime in full.
Really? What sort of mission?
There is an abandoned fortress perched on the Hoshidan border. I wish to know if the building there remains serviceable. You are to travel to the site and inspect the premises. No battle will be required.
Do you understand? I won't tolerate being disappointed twice.
Yes, Father. It shall be done.

Well, immediately fighting daddy and refusing at every turn seems to not bite Corrin in the rear end too much.

*Time passes*

Of course! Please don't worry. It's just an abandoned fort.
You're acting rather casual about all this, Corrin. It isn't like Father to be so forgiving...
Huh? What do you mean, Leo?

I mean, technically, Corrin wouldn't know anything about how Garon treats the other kids. On the other hand, he was forced to stay in a fortress until he beat literally the best knight in the kingdom so....:shrug:

That's enough, Leo! Don't be so worried all the time, sheesh. And don't even try to scare Corrin before his first mission!

drat, GIRL

I suppose I'll just have to come along. That way I know Corrin will be safe.
I'm afraid that's not possible.
Why ever not, Iago?

As his top advisor, I have been entrusted with coordinating this mission. He would like to know whether Prince Corrin is worthy...After all, he IS a part of the royal lineage. Therefore, your assistance would simply muddy the results.
Understood. Camilla, I need to do this all by myself. Surely you understand.
Not all by yourself, Corrin.

Rest assured, I don't intend to send you out there completely defenseless.

Christ, just stab Corrin in the head right now.

This is Hans. He is a veteran warrior and will ensure no trouble befalls you.
Thank you, Father.
Hmm...*walks up to Corrin*

Why do you say that?
He's a criminal. A murderer and scoundrel. I arrested him myself, years ago. Father seems to think he's rehabilitated but I'm not so sure.
That said, he is a formidable soldier.

Oh good, he sounds doubly trustworthy then!

I see.

So world maps are not in Fates, as it's replaced by a menu that selects different areas. Frankly, they operate the same but the visual world map was nice to have (Although a huge pain to travel late-game).

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:moreevil:
If Megaman Battle Network hadn't happened we'd have Ganon's face in that emoticon.

It's a pity, because I'm not minding the rest of the Nohr cast so far, the siblings seem actual human being instead of Emperor von Hitler.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

So the royal adviser's name is Iago huh? Subtle.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

So the royal adviser's name is Iago huh? Subtle.
His Japanese name is Macbeth, if you can believe it.

Also, Garon's happy portrait is the best. :allears:

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I wish the artist for Iago had a parrot or mynah bird sitting on his perch. That would've made my day.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

AradoBalanga posted:

His Japanese name is Macbeth, if you can believe it.

Also, Garon's happy portrait is the best. :allears:

Not gonna lie, Macbeth is a lot less evil sounding than Iago. Macbeth used to be a hero, Iago was always an evil lying maybe a racist.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

The happiest dad :allears:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Part 2

Yes. It's the natural boundary diving Nohr and Hoshido.
It can't really be bottomless, can it?
Let the eternal darkness below be your answer. Those who fall in never return....I truly despise this place. Something about the land around here just isn't right. The sky here is always dark and foreboding and lightning strikes all who fly across.
This is clearly a place us mortals were never meant to enter. Normally we'd go around...but the fort that King Garon wants surveyed is right over there.

Compared to the inside of that fortress, this is downright exciting.

Well, I'm glad you're enjoying yourself before your horribly planned murder

Ha! That certainly puts things in perspective, milord. Come, let's proceed.

Why the devil is this place crawling with Hoshidans?

WHAT A SHOCKING TURN OF EVENTS

Hold on! Do not advance any farther, soldiers of Nohr.
Crossing that bridge is a violation of our border treaty. Turn back at once, or we'll be forced to attack!
What should we do?
We're not here to fight. I suppose we'll have to turn back and report to father.
Wise decision, Lord Corrin.
Who asked you, old man?
What?!

Aaaaugh! *dies*
Ah ha ha! Die, scumbags!
You'll...pay for this!

He's....being helpful. And you would probably believe that, too if he said it.

Pfft.
We should have tried diplomacy first. We weren't sent here to fight!
Speak for yourself, weakling.
What's that supposed to mean?

Uh...it means you ain't strong or something

Oh right, the ninja's still pissed.

Prepare to attack!

Get ready to fight, Lord Corrin.

Today's a seize mission today, but basically is also a kill-the-boss-ninja effectively.

You'll need to learn both, and fast! You can take a defensive position by moving to the same space as an ally. Your ally will benefit from your support, but you won't be able to attack. If you want to unleash the most potent attacks, stand in adjacent positions. From that alignment, allies may be able to attack simultaneously. I'd tell you more, but you're about to receive some practical experience....

Jeez, okay. So that long-rear end explanation was basically how pair-up works. Pair-up purely is a defensive maneuver now, as dual attacks no longer work if the attacker is paired up, though a non-paired unit can have a paired-up unit dual attack.

Pair-up still gives those stat boosts, but now a meter appears underneath the lead unit's HP. You gain 2 blips when either attacking or defending (I don't know why they couldn't just make it 5 blips instead), and at max meter your partner will automatically negate all damage.

The other new benefit to pair-up is that any opposing dual attacks are negated. Oh that's right, the enemies can now also use pair-up and dual attacks.

So this rear end in a top hat is a guest character. Has Gamble and HP+5, so just a weird pre-promoted Berserker.

Corrin leads ahead with Gunter support so Hans doesn't steal any kills.

Yeeeep, pretty much a death trap. The pair-up alone is tough, but they're also sitting on a fort for extra defense.

We've got to look for another way across. Lord Corrin! See if you can find a Dragon Vein around here.

*dies*

Time to lay low and see how this plays out...

The foreshadow is so visible, I need a nightlight

Anyways, Corrin is gonna make a dragon vein to make a stone bridge because dragon veins literally do anything

Gods! Did you see what just happened to the cliff? Who are we dealing with here?

Technically I can just ignore the top entirely and beat the boss/seize for the win, but I want that delicious EXP. Also show off a nice way to deal with range/melee pair-up formation.

While killing some extra archers, Corrin gets to level 5 and gets the level I expect to get instead of random super levels.

Felicia gains MAG/SPD/LCK/RES for level 3, which is best case scenario for her.

So the slow but risk free strategy here is to bait the archer lead at range, then attacking it in melee. Bait out the archer again, rinse-repeat. The tedious part is that pair-up's guard stance pops up every other battle because the samurai doubles Corrin.

With the pair-up eliminated, the Samurai is easy pickings for Felicia since he doesn't move.

Potshots and nickle healing gets Felicia another level, picking up some extra defense.

So the bottom area is the next destination. Keep in mind that there's another Dragon Vein where the circle is for a different stone bridge assault. But there's a reason why to avoid that.

Clearing the Samurai and Archer next to the boss got Corrin another level. Somehow gained speed again but no defense. Did my bane and boon switch??

More enemy reinforcements...Take caution, Lord Corrin.

So if you engage the mooks at the bottom, reinforcements come. If you took the lower stone bridge, you're basically pincered in which isn't nice.

Luckily in Fates, reinforcements only move on the enemy phase so no enemies appearing and then immediately attacking like Awakening.

No.

BUT. She learns the maid/butler skill Live to Serve, which heals the user equal to the healing it gives. It makes the class more self-sustainable without needing a second healer or burning a turn using a healing item.

Corrin basically solos the fliers.

Hoshido won't stand for unprovoked attacks like this. Revenge will be ours!

Boss time. Ninja boss can't really win in a war of attrition, even after the debuff from Iron Shuriken (MAG-2, DEF/RES -3)

What a weird thing for dead people to say.

*Hoshidan reinforcements appear*

Who are you?

My name is Saizo. I've come to claim your life.
Hey! Everyone! We're still under attack!
Destroy them!

What?! This must be their real commander...
What's going on here, Corrin?
Xander! How did you know we were in trouble?

Because Xander isn't a stupid idiot to trust literally a murderer he arrested.

*rest of the siblings arrive*

Are you all right? I was so worried about you.
We're all here for you, Corrin!
Thank you, everyone!
Um, but before we get too carried away...we ARE under attack.
Who dares attack my beloved Corrin? I'll have their heads on a platter!
I'm not hurt, Camilla.
But, darling, it's the thought that counts.

*Camilla immeditately wipes out two Samurai*

I never knew Camilla could be so...ruthless...
Heehee! That's right, you've never seen her on the battlefield before.

Yeaaah, not sure five against one is good, let alone five royals.

I misjudged the situation. We're outnumbered. Kagero, do we have anyone else on the way?
Affirmative. Lord Ryoma is right behind me.
Ahh...then I think this battle is as good as won.

They...they're still there. They could at least have the ninja models move.

Indeed. What should we do?
Well, Corrin is safe, and the fort's condition has been evaluated. There's no reason to engage Hoshido further at this point. Corrin, you take the lead with Gunter. We'll follow close behind.
Will do. Thank you, Xander.

*Corrin's group leaves*

"WE'LL FOLLOW CLOSE BEHIND"

*Back to the starting bridge*

I'm sure she's right behind us.
Now hurry up. I can't stand being on this bridge a moment longer.

Oh, it's Hans. Hello Hans.

Hans!
What is the meaning of this?
Less talk. More death.

WELL, GUNTER'S DEAD, poo poo

Why are you doing this? Your own ally...
Aww, did I knock your babysitter into the ditch? Here-you can meet up with him at the bottom!

Uh...paper drill arm????

You'll pay for this!
What?! What kind of...freak...are you?

THE gently caress IS HAPPENING

It can't be....
I want answers, Hans! Why are you doing this? Why did you provoke the Hoshidans? And why did you kill Gunter?
Answer me!

What a shocker

Where the gently caress are Xander and the others

Or even Felicia at this point

What?! You lie!
*Runs away*
Come back here!

And now the evil black sword is suddenly glowing really hard

What the gently caress was this plan, Garron.
Having Hans instigate an international incident to get Corrin killed wasn't enough
Having Hans attempt murder on a bridge wasn't enough
So the back-up back-up plan was have the sword just chuck him in a ditch as a last resort?
Boy, this plan assumes a lot huh

Tae fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 15, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I don't know why this sticks with me, but for some reason Saizo saying "MY NAME IS SAIZO" is a fully voiced line, and something about the VA's inflection on it makes it sound like he's working a tech support phone line and he's really grouchy.

Also I didn't know the thing about the reinforcements not immediately moving, even on harder difficulties. That's fantastic because that's probably the most bullshit mechanic in the series.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I don't know why this sticks with me, but for some reason Saizo saying "MY NAME IS SAIZO" is a fully voiced line, and something about the VA's inflection on it makes it sound like he's working a tech support phone line and he's really grouchy.
The voiced lines in the game feel very uneven, to the point that some of the voice clips come off as a "one take and done" recording. IIRC, the English voice actors were just handed a card with a short blurb about who they were voicing and then told to go from there without any other context or direction. No gameplay videos or cutscenes to help the VAs learn about their characters, just "here's the character's quirks and bio, go do whatever" and the director called it a day. Some of the voice actors are able to take this curve ball and pull off good performances, while others sadly just come up short.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Tae posted:

What the gently caress was this plan, Garron.
Having Hans instigate an international incident to get Corrin killed wasn't enough
Having Hans attempt murder on a bridge wasn't enough
So the back-up back-up plan was have the sword just chuck him in a ditch as a last resort?
Boy, this plan assumes a lot huh

I don't know, sounds like this plan was triple-proofed for success. Or at least double-proofed (if Hans failed, Sword would succeed.)

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
That's really really bad. I want to hear it.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
There is a reason why the pair up pips is in sets of 10. If you, say for example, do 3 attacks and generate 6 pips, if you then separate the characters, each character will retain 3 of the 6 pips.
Will this ever have any benefit? Not likely, but at least its still there.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Also, pair up blips decay at the rate of one per turn if the pair doesn't see combat. Again, almost completely irrelevant, but there is some kind of mathematical consequence.

And who would have guessed that the beautiful people are good and the ugly people are evil in a Fire Emblem game :monocle:

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

inthesto posted:

Also, pair up blips decay at the rate of one per turn if the pair doesn't see combat. Again, almost completely irrelevant, but there is some kind of mathematical consequence.

And who would have guessed that the beautiful people are good and the ugly people are evil in a Fire Emblem game :monocle:

What about Gonzalez and Oliver?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I realize its that way so that we have a game to play, but I do love that Garron is for some reason allergic to simple plans for disposing of Corrin.

Set up a "tragic accident" to happen at the remote fort while none of the other royals are around? Nah, too simple

Execute Corrin legitimately for not only disobeying, but outright opposing the King and High Prince? Ehhh

Set up a convoluted plan involving a mysterious ravine, a ex-criminal and a magic marionette sword? SIGN ME THE gently caress UP

I'm also not sure why Corrin & Co feel they have to fight when Hans goes all axe murderer on them. They know hes a former criminal. They know their orders specifically state not to fight. But instead of retreating and leaving Hans to his fate at the hands of Hoshido and reporting back that the fort has been occupied by Hoshidans and that Hans is nuts, they decide to get involved in the fight?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Part 3

So Corrin's dead or dying or something. Falling to his death because his dad triple-proofed his assassination.

Huh?

Why is he still holding on to the sword

Dragons grant me strength! Great Moro, I beseech you!

Uh...this has certainly been a day so far

Lord Corrin...I knew this day would come eventually. This may come as a shock, but I am not a human.
Well, I can see that. Are you a dragon?
Yes, this is my true form. You've seen it before. Do you remember? That strange bird you rescued in the barn...

You thought THAT was a bird, dude???

That...was you...?
It was. Once I recovered, I was able to take human form.
You were so kind to me that I decided to remain a human that I might serve you.
But now I have used a power that goes beyond the capacity of a human body. I will not be able to return to that form. I don't mind, though. The most important thing to me is that you're safe...

Randomly, lightning strikes them.

And now a tornado...? The hell kind of canyon is this

Lilith! Be careful! Drop me if you must...I won't have you sacrifice yourself for me!
First Dragons, I call on you. Grant us access to the astral plane!

*The two enter the portal*

*A moment later*

"Today I'm going to finally leave this fortress that I lived in all my life after beating literally the best soldier in Nohr. Gonna talk to daddy about not-killing prisoners and then not-fighting an enemy base. Now I'm another dimension.

Did I even eat"

This is a world parallel to the one in which you live, Lord Corrin. It is known as the astral plane.

Is that what they call Japan these days

How were you able to get us here?

The First Dragons have granted us the power to inhabit this dimension. Under their protection, we are safe here. Oh! Allow me to prepare a place for you to rest...

And Lilith makes a treehouse out of nothing. Why a treehouse, who knows. That's the least of my worries.

Did...did you just use a Dragon Vein?
Yes. The power of the First Dragons flows freely in this realm. You should know that space and time operate differently here as well...
I have so much to learn...Is there anyone else here?

There's no one left here...
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to invoke any bad memories.
It's OK, Corrin. I'm not lonely as long as I have you in my life. Now...you should get some rest.

*Time passes*

Yes, it is. But I feel much better now. My wounds seem to have healed already.
And my mind is racing! I have so many new questions about this world....
All in good time. For now, some business remains in the other world.
Yes, you're right. I can't relax until I know everyone made it safely home.
Of course. There is just one thing you should know before you go back. When I open the portal, you will return to the same location you came from.

There may be soldiers lying in wait for you...
I understand. I'll be ready for them.
Very well. Then I will open the gate.

Aaaand we're back from Japanese Dragonland.

Hmm?!

Good first day

Class Overview: Maid/Butler

Pair-up bonus: +2 Mag. +3 SPD/LCK
Weapon rank: Hidden Weapon (B), Staves (S)
Skill: (Lvl 5) Live to Serve-When healing an ally, the user recovers the same amount of HP
(lvl 15) Tomebreaker-Hit rate and Avoid +50 when the enemy is equipped with a Tome

A bit backwards, but the first class overview is a promoted class and new to Fire Emblem. The Servant class is a great support unit that uses debuff weapons and heals party members, while also capable of keeping themselves healthy.

Their skills lend to them being underrated mage killers thanks to Tomebreaker, which with Felicia/Jacob effectively being starter units, means you will have reliable anti-mage units with little effort.

A new twist in Fates is monopoly on S weapon ranks. Usually, only one class across both Hoshido and Nohr can have an S rank in a weapon. Curiously, Servants are the holders of S rank for staves, so they solidify as the healing class. Unfortunately since Hidden Weapons are mostly physical, weaker strength characters like Elise may not want to promote to a Maid with her sky-high MAG but pathetic STR.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013

"Welcome to the family son."

The plot of this game is really a shame, because I think gameplay wise, the game was a huge step up from Awakening, and has some of the best map design in the series. I'm really hoping that going forward, the series refines some of the rougher additions, like some of the uneven weapon modifiers, but Fates has a great basis for the future.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

A new twist in Fates is monopoly on S weapon ranks. Usually, only one class across both Hoshido and Nohr can have an S rank in a weapon. Curiously, Servants are the holders of S rank for staves, so they solidify as the healing class. Unfortunately since Hidden Weapons are mostly physical, weaker strength characters like Elise may not want to promote to a Maid with her sky-high MAG but pathetic STR.
Yeah, that might be one of the problems with Maids/Butlers: their main weapon type skews opposite of what they want to do (healing). Only two weapons in the shuriken/dagger family are magic-based, and getting them is...not easy. One is only found through the Castle Visiting system under the Battle Points rewards or through another gameplay element, and while the other is a Hoshidan weapon and slightly easier to get, it carries the weapon drawbacks that other non-tome magical weapons have. As a result, Felicia is going to not be as useful as Jakob is on offense because she skews heavily towards magic over strength. Likewise, Jakob is going to be less useful than Felicia because his magic stat isn't too great so he won't handle the healing job well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Part 1

Uh...so did Rinkah knock Corrin unconscious and then carried him all the way across the canyon and into a valley? That map better be less scaled than I think.

Sorry about that bump on your head.
It's you! From the Flame Tribe, right? Where are we?
Yes, I am Rinkah. This is a Flame Tribe village within Hoshido's territory. I'm going to hand you over to the Hoshidan authorities.
I see. I suppose they'll want to hear an explanation for the unprovoked attack.
And then they'll probably execute me.

You seem to understand this but not murder-dad somehow

Gods...they're here already, aren't they?
Yes. It's time to go.

*The two go outside*

Yes. I'm glad we found you, Prince Corrin.
You are? Wait, an I missing something?
Please come with me. All will be explained.
Very well.

Good. SOMEONE explain something, I'll take anything at this point

Good jeez, just world trotting instantly here, huh

Welcome to Not-Japan, not to be confused with Not-Japan Dragonland.

Thank you, Lord Ryoma.
Did...did you just say Lord Ryoma?
Yes, this is the high prince of Hoshido, Lord Ryoma.
I understand.
Hmm...

Garon is pondering why this didn't happen so easily back at Nohr right now

*A woman approaches*

I'm sorry, do we know each other?
Oh, I've missed you so much! Come here, Corrin, my sweet child!

Your sweet child?! What are you talking about? That's not possible...

When you were very young, you were abducted by forces from Nohr. I am your mother, Mikoto. All this time, I didn't know if I'd ever see you again!
But King Garon is my father! None of what you're saying makes sense.

Uh...no, if anything this explains everything. Including why he quarantined you for years.

It must be quite a shock, but I assure you that she speaks the truth.
I am your older brother, Ryoma.

Are those the Nohrian royals? They're not your real family.
I still remember the day you were taken. In those days, there was tension between Hoshido and Nohr, but no full-blown war.
Not until Garon lured King Sumeragi-our father-to Cheve under false pretenses. He said it was for a peace conference. Ha!

And to make matters even worse...he kidnapped you.
No. That's just not possible.

Did that knock on your head made you forget how you almost died because your sword literally tried to kill you

wait, why do you still have the sword

You really don't remember any of this? Not even a single memory?
No. Honestly, I have only the vaguest memories from my early childhood.

I said I wanted answer, but I just get more questions!

A blurry image. Like a stone at the bottom of a lake, shimmering and ethereal.
But that's it. Nothing of substance.
Well, I can't imagine the Nohrian royals would share much of your past with you. I know this is a lot to take in.

*Soldier barges in*

We're under attack from the north!
No! Hinoka and Sakura are in that area right now!
Yes, milord. I've been told that they're working to help evacuate the villagers.
Very well. We'll need to provide support. I'll leave immediately. Corrin, will you come with me? I want you to see the truth with your own eyes.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I dunno, there's only one person who could have that beard in the last blurry flashback.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

nah cant be
Weve all seen the paintings of Garon that were made years ago

He had long luscious locks of jet black hair that waved in the wind as he perched upon the clifftops

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

I dunno, there's only one person who could have that beard in the last blurry flashback.
No, clearly that was Garon's long deceased twin brother Norag.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Having just read through the Path of Radiance LP before seeing this thread the difference story quality so far is sure something. :stare:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Having just read through the Path of Radiance LP before seeing this thread the difference story quality so far is sure something. :stare:

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but this story has a load of production issues, but that discussion's really for when we're balls-deep in Conquest since Birthright is mostly a middling Fire Emblem Story.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but this story has a load of production issues, but that discussion's really for when we're balls-deep in Conquest since Birthright is mostly a middling Fire Emblem Story.

Really? I'd be very interested in hearing about the issues Conquest's story had during development. Is there any place I can find out about them outside this thread?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Last Celebration posted:

balls-deep in Conquest

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Keep in mind that this is the prologue to three different stories. They had to cram a bunch of stuff into a few short chapters to give you some reason for siding with each side. Once you pick a side, the stories get a lot better.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

BlazeEmblem posted:

Keep in mind that this is the prologue to three different stories. They had to cram a bunch of stuff into a few short chapters to give you some reason for siding with each side. Once you pick a side, the stories get a lot better.

I dispute that on several levels but we'll cross that bridge when we hit Chapter 6.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Artix posted:

I dispute that on several levels but we'll cross that bridge when we hit Chapter 6.

Maybe the "a lot" was an exaggeration.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Tae posted:

There may be soldiers lying in wait for you...
I understand. I'll be ready for them.

Great job there, champ.

Fates is an interesting set of issues and experiments piled into three games which are one game. There's a lot to say about it, and I look forward to the LP.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Middling implies middle of the road. I'm not sure if I'd level that compliment at Birthright.

If it wasn't for Conquest and Revelation I'd say that (allowing for system limitations and the like) it's probably the worst written game in the series.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

This seems appropriate.

So far the game is... eh, I'm happy to take your word for it about the map design and the dragon lines seem like a neat mechanic, but the plot is underwhelming and even the dialogue lacks the snap of the previous game. I know people aren't big on Awakening's story either, but it was sure as hell a step up from, well, this.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Emperordaein posted:

Really? I'd be very interested in hearing about the issues Conquest's story had during development. Is there any place I can find out about them outside this thread?

We have the general Fire Emblem thread in Games, but the cliff notes version as I understand it is that they got a prolific writer to do the story outline, then tampered with said outline to fit the third "true" path in the game, which makes some things...contrived.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rangpur posted:

even the dialogue lacks the snap of the previous game.
That's an issue of the translators changing. The translation for this game is barely equal to par. It's competent and mostly error-free, but it really lacks pizazz and there's a lot of random changes that are nothing but detrimental, for the most part. I had some issues with Awakening's translation too, but the dialogue itself was very well done and had a lot of natural flow to it, unlike Fates, which is just stiff and has a lot of characters with basically no voice.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
Yeah, and that lack of a deft hand on the writing team meant I was struggling to not just hit Start and just go ignore the story altogether. I had a hard time slogging through the plots of the three paths as well as other associated bits, but we'll get to them when we get to them.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
Just to give an idea of what my thoughts on the story are: I loved Conquest gameplay wise. And yet, a certain plot development halfway through made the story so excruciatingly bad, I wound up getting heavily deterred from playing. Last I checked, i'm still at Chapter 18 (Also Chapter 17 was a real pain, but we'll get to that.)

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

One of the funnier things that stands out to me is the heir apparent and prince of Hoshido not knowing the name of his counterpat in Nohr, their next door neighbour whom they have good reason to be gathering information on.

They even have ninjas for god's sakes.

Corrin during the prologue is a special kind of dumb, because they basically have him sit in the backseat and do as little as possible so that its not stupid when you're forced to pick sides. It's still stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Conot posted:

One of the funnier things that stands out to me is the heir apparent and prince of Hoshido not knowing the name of his counterpat in Nohr, their next door neighbour whom they have good reason to be gathering information on.

They even have ninjas for god's sakes.

Corrin during the prologue is a special kind of dumb, because they basically have him sit in the backseat and do as little as possible so that its not stupid when you're forced to pick sides. It's still stupid.

I mean, there is the whole mind control barrier Hoshido has that keeps Nohr from just outright attacking, and that might also prove a hinderence to any attempt to gather info from a fairly isolationist kingdom.

• Locked thread