Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think it's hilarious that Takumi looks the most like Corrin and is the biggest rear end in a top hat. I also think the dragon looks like Latios and Arceus did the fusion dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Trust me, Corrin is not the only stupid character here. Sure, he's incredibly stupid, but behind every great idiot there are a ton of enablers.

Looking forward to seeing these games as I got stuck in Conquest.

That's fairly common. Conquest is tough.

Also, felt like it was balanced around casual, but maybe it's just me there.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Part 1

Xander! I'm fine. But...why are you invading Hoshido?!
Father says it's time to show our true strength.

What a coincidence

Join us, and we'll end this quickly! If we conquer Hoshido here and now, we can avoid unnecessary bloodshed.
Xander...I...I need a minute.

Ryoma....

*Nohrians royals arrive*

I'm glad you're OK, Corrin. You must have the devil's own luck!

If you played this game before, you would know they're trying really hard to make devil's own luck his catchphrase.

It is one of his few voiced lines.

Yaay! We got our brother back!

Corrin is MY brother, not yours!
You are mistaken. Corrin is my sweet little brother. You may not have him.
Don't be fooled by their words. You belong with your true family in Hoshido!
We have loved you and raised you since you were a child. Come home, little prince. We can live as a family once more!
Come home to Hoshido, Corrin!
No, Corrin! Nohr is your home!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-5N9XZwCF8

My family...

WHO WILL HE CHOOSE

Birthright is the choice that was already decided, if you somehow skipped straight to here.

With Corrin officially a Hoshidan, all the title cards are now in the sakura petals on both sides.

Corrin...Don't tell me you're siding with Hoshido.
I'm afraid so. I've made up my mind-I stand with Hoshido.
I feared the Hoshidans might try to brainwash you...I am well aware of your Hoshidan lineage. It is true that we lack common blood.

You KNEW???

No matter what anyone says, you are my brother, Corrin. I know that Camilla, Leo, and Elise feel the same way. And Father will forgive you. I know it.

pfft

You are of Nohr! Return to us, Corrin!
I'm sorry. I can't go back.
King Garon is a coward and a liar. I've witnessed enough of his destruction.
Causing an explosion in a crowded city center with no regard for innocent life...

Quick flashback there.

Tell me. If King Garon thinks of me as family...
How could he have orchestrated this attack? I could have easily been killed along with Queen Mikoto.
The truth is that I was just a pawn. Collateral damage. King Garon was willing to sacrifice my life in pursuit of his agenda.

Father...evil? How could you say that, little prince?

YOU KNEW CORRIN WAS ORPHANED, WHAT

Xander, please...Join me! Join me and help put an end to his cruelty!
Corrin...

Rude

Traitor? Brother, wait!
Enough. I never thought you would turn your back on your kingdom and your family. Your betrayal will not be forgiven. You want to side with Hoshido? Fine.
Over my dead body!
Xander!

Ow. Stop that

I will not rest until I've returned you to your senses. Get up! Get up and return to Nohr with me. Surely there's some part of you that still remembers your true family.
Brother, my mind is made up.
If that's the case...
I will end this quickly.
Wait!

Hey, Ryo. Wow, you took your goddamn time to get here.

Ryoma! Please, we can settle this peacefully.
What's wrong, Corrin? Lost your focus?
Tossing your sword aside and dying as a martyr won't do us any good.
Fiend! If you see to take my brother from me, I won't go easy on you.

A splendid idea. I've yearned to introduce you to a dear friend of mine-the dark blade Siegfried!
Camilla, Leo, Elise! Are you ready?
Darling, I was born ready. Let's kill them all quickly so we can make it home in time for Corrin's nap.
You're coming with us-that's all there is to it. Understood, Corrin?
Yay! We're gonna take Corrin back home!

*whispers* I think the Nohrian family is going a little nutz

Corrin has made his choice. All that remains is to spill your blood and wipe my divine sword clean.
Hinoka, Takumi, Sakura! Steel yourselves...
I'll be your shield, Corrin. They won't kidnap you again.
Stupid Nohrian jerks! I'll kill all of you!
I'm r-ready. I won't let them hurt you, Corrin.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Chapter title sound familiar?

It's a cute little thing that this game does. I like it. Needless to say, this is far from the only example, but we won't hear enough of the song to identify them all for some time.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i've played conquest but never birthright and already i have a problem with this sequence in comparison

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I mean, this is the one time Corrin makes a logical decision. "So you guys want me to come back into the reach of a dude who has tried to kill me about a half dozen times in 2 days? And who casually blew up a crowded marketplace so that he could get his invasion on? Imma say no."

Which, of course, means Xander has to pick up the idiot ball and refuse to hear a word against murderdad.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Tae posted:

WHO WILL HE CHOOSE

You're missing an option.

Where's "Join the Battle in Smash"?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I do find it funny that for the big dramatic shot of the siblings, only three of them (Leo, Xander, and Ryoma) decided to strike a cool pose. Sakura is her usual timid self looking away from the camera, while the rest are doing their best "deer in headlights" face, especially Hinoka and Takumi.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm still not sure why the Nohr kids are so loyal to King Immabadguy when he's literally willing to murder their brother in front of them and basically threatened to murder them for not committing war crimes.

I mean, really, from what we've seen the pragmatic way to end this would be to go get all the kids from both houses, beat up Immabadguy, and end this war quickly.

But I will have a lot more to say on this when we get to Conquest.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Yeah. This is the option that makes the most sense now that Corrin has regained his early memories. I think the prologue gives you time to become attached to all of the siblings (except Takumi, but he has reasonable motives going for him), but no reason to think agreeing with Nohr is a valid choice.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

MightyPretenders posted:

Yeah. This is the option that makes the most sense now that Corrin has regained his early memories. I think the prologue gives you time to become attached to all of the siblings (except Takumi, but he has reasonable motives going for him), but no reason to think agreeing with Nohr is a valid choice.

To be fair, the "Refuse to choose a side" (which is obviously the Revelations choice, but we'll get to that later) makes about as much sense, since the Nohrian royal siblings clearly care for, and are cared for in turn by, Corrin as well so, with Corrin having being isolated all their life, not necessarily wanting to fight the Nohrians either works plotwise as well. The "return to Nohr" option after King Evil tried to blatantly murder you like 5 times in last 2 days that will always be incredibly dumb though.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I'm still not sure why the Nohr kids are so loyal to King Immabadguy when he's literally willing to murder their brother in front of them and basically threatened to murder them for not committing war crimes.

Well, it's understandable they'd be in denial about it. You don't break away from family ties so easily.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013

BlazeEmblem posted:

You're missing an option.

Where's "Join the Battle in Smash"?

The best option.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

blizzardvizard posted:

Well, it's understandable they'd be in denial about it. You don't break away from family ties so easily.

It's more like Stockholm Syndrome but for the perpetrators rather than the victim.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Ah, I love this game. Just found the thread.

Curious as to what you're going for with that Boon/Bane/Samurai combo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

He's slow because he's slow

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Whoa dude we don't have any support ranks yet.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Thank you Corrin.
He's not going to remember this in Conquest, is he?

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I mean, really, from what we've seen the pragmatic way to end this would be to go get all the kids from both houses, beat up Immabadguy, and end this war quickly.

But I will have a lot more to say on this when we get to Conquest.

For the moment, I'm kinda liking the Nohr royals more than the Hoshidans, but with how attached they are to Corrin it's really strange that they're not telling king :moreevil: to go put his beard where the sun doesn't shine. He's not been what I'd call subtle in trying to murder Corrin. He's practically wearing a royal mantle with Die Corrin Die embroidered.

It does however make perfect sense that they believe Corrin has been brainwashed, because that's within Hoshido's capabilities.

Are we going to get some kind of explanation from the Nohrian siblings in conquest?
"Yeah we noticed dad has become kinda :moreevil: and it is worrying us. It started about 2 years ago when :evil vizier: became prime minister, we're searching for a way to get our loving father back; in the meanwhile we also need to keep Hoshido at bay because we don't want to get mind-controlled"

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
It's kind of amazing how badly Garon damages not just the plot, but also the characterisations of the Nohr siblings, when they have to be loyal to King :moreevil:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Emperordaein posted:

It's kind of amazing how badly Garon damages not just the plot, but also the characterisations of the Nohr siblings, when they have to be loyal to King :moreevil:

Either you're 100% loyal to the king or your stuff gets blown up and kills you. Xander's got a pretty rad sword. I bet that thing could do some real damage...

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Omobono posted:

It does however make perfect sense that they believe Corrin has been brainwashed, because that's within Hoshido's capabilities.

Aside from the fact that Xander literally just went, "I'm fully aware we kidnapped you from Hoshido, we're still clearly your true family and they've brainwashed you by telling you the truth!" Like if it wasn't for that then yeah, you'd have a fair point - and it's possible Leo and Elise weren't aware making it true for them - but Xander, and I'm pretty sure Camilla too, is fully aware of how exactly Corrin came to be in Nohr.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Wait a minute, I thought the different paths were sold separately? How does offering the in-game choice work, then?

Or wait, do Conquest and Birthright not have the option, but Revelations does, maybe?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

BlazetheInferno posted:

Wait a minute, I thought the different paths were sold separately? How does offering the in-game choice work, then?

Or wait, do Conquest and Birthright not have the option, but Revelations does, maybe?

You buy one copy of the game proper (Birthright or Conquest), then buy the other two (Conquest/Revelations or Birthright/Revelations) as DLC within the copy you bought.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
wow does the writing not make this a balanced choice.

Do you want to go with the side who kidnapped you as a child, has an evil king that tried to kill you, and has siblings that just keep making excuses for their father being a monster, and do what he wants while rationalizing it as the least bad option?

Or do you want to go with your biological family, who are not the aggressors in this situation, have mostly treated you well, and most importantly are not ruled by a maniac who has tried to kill you for daring to show mercy?

I'm curious to see the Conquest choice though, to see how the Hoshidans react to Corrin choosing the other side. Are they just as delusional in their reaction, or do they at least understand that Corrin is an adult who can make his own drat choices?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The paths bought in this method also only cost 20 dollars instead of 40 (Outside of the random Best Buys currently selling Conquest for 20). Revelation can only be bought as DLC unless you got one of those special editions that cost 80 bucks.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I always rationalized the Conquest choice with Corrin thinking "I literally just met you people (the Hoshidans), versus them (the Nohrians) who I've lived with my whole life and, barring Father, have always treated me well and have been kind to me."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Part 2

Where the hell were you?!?!

Felicia? No, we're far from OK. But there's no time to explain right now. Your timing is terrible. What are you doing here now?
How can you say that? I've been looking for you this whole time!
Anyway, I'm here now, and I'll stand by your side!

So this mission is a bit of an auto-win situation, especially considering the difficulty of the last two chapters. Sakura, Kaze, Rinkah, Azura, and Felicia officially join the party. The rest of the Hoshidan siblings are controllable but won't gain EXP.

The objective is to just beat Xander.

Xander is showing off more of his true capabilities and good lord, Siegfried! Basically a 1-2 silver sword that also gives +4 DEF to an already beefy unit.

Of course, this is what I mean by auto-win. Ryo absolutely destroys Xander with all the skills setup, since his Duelist's Blow gives +30 avoid when starting combat. The actual mission for me is to siphon as much EXP as possible to the rest of the party.

PSkill: Rose's Thorn-Adjacent allies deal 3 extra damage and receive 1 less damage

Camilla is Malig Knight, a promoted class of Wyvern Riders that uses axes and spells. The real draw of Camilla is her PSkill, which majorly improves any units' damage near her with a little damage reduction.

PSkill: Lily's Pose-Adjacent allies deal 1 extra damage and received 3 less damage

Elise is your standard Troubadour, with the literal reverse PSkill of Camilla. Makes tanks way better, but she's at risk of being sniped by random bow and hidden tool users since she has to be right next to the frontlines. Really unfair that Sakura gets both a 1-2 range heal and PSkill in comparison.

PSkill: Pragmatic-When enemy’s HP is not full, damage +3 and damage received -1 during the battle

Brynhildr is a 10 mt tome with a SKL% chance of halving magic attack. Good, but nothing absurd like Raijinto or Siegfried. Leo thrives in a battlefield after a first skirmish if you can't tell.

Heartseeker is the other Dark Mage ability, which reduces avoid by 20 to adjacent enemies. It's risky to put Dark Mages right next to the enemy, but their main problem is actually hitting so it's a nice risk/reward thing.

PSkill: Competitive-When user is the lead unit and their Level is lower than their support unit’s Level, Critical rate +10, damage +3 and damage received -1

Competitive is a weird skill. You're basically forcing a higher level unit on your party to disappear to give Takumi extra power. I guess Corrin can eventually be that, since his skills gives him faster EXP I guess? It's not like he needs the PSkill because he has

The Fujin Yumi. Yeah, that's right. 14 mt, default +2 resistance for a Yumi, and an ability that basically lets him dominate forested and sandy areas.

Combined that with Quick Draw, a default level 10 Archer ability that gives +4 damage when attacking, and he's one-shotting most enemies without effort.

And this is just to highlight that the male royal members get awesome super weapons and the females get good PKSkills. Kind of a rip-off if you ask me.

Ryo is going to hide in the forest and hope that Xander doesn't accidentally kill himself until Corrin's group get as much EXP as possible.

Nice thing about this chapter is that soldiers in the background are gathered as they watch a duel between two royals.

Wasted EXP, but I need to kill Leo since he's the sturdiest and most dangerous of the enemies outside of Xander.

Won't you come back to Nohr with us?
Gods...Camilla...I wish it didn't have to be this way.
I can't believe it.

Corrin in dragon form is can easily take on Camilla, though I guess plot-wise they're showing constraint to not kill Corrin.

Also nobody really comments on "Holy poo poo, you can turn into a DRAGON??"

DRAGO HEADBUTT

How could you let his happen, Corrin?

Killing enemies helps more people in a way, yes.

Hey guys, how are you guys doing over there

Oh, a laser show! Cool, cool.

gently caress you, Siegfried.

Luckily, Xander's RES is not nearly as stout so Corrin can get a good hit in.

So, you've chosen to take up arms against your own brother...It's not too late for all to be forgiven. Come back to Nohr with us.
I can't do that, Xander. I've made my decision, and I stand by it.
How unfortunate. You leave me no choice. If force is the only thing that can make you listen to reason, so be it!
Xander!

HEADBUTT OF DEATH

How is this possible? We must retreat! This isn't' over, Corrin...

Oookay I guess Corrin is just going to gain magic now. At least he's finally gaining that DEF consistently.

Dragon Fang:-Skill x.0.75% chance of adding 50% of the user’s Attack Power as damage

You remember that sick combo Corrin used on Hans? This is basically it.

*Nohr army retreats*

Corrin...I can understand why you reluctant to fight. If it would make you feel better, you can leave the fighting to me and Ryoma.
No. Burying my head in the sand won't change the reality of the situation. I will stand with you. And the rest of Hoshido.
Very well.
I know this is the right choice. Even if it's the hardest one I've ever had to make. I have to believe this is the path that will eventually lead to peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WmsB6SNbvc

*Suddenly, something appeared*

The fuq?

Huh?! Wait...that's not OUR Lilith, is it?
Actually...it is.
Oh! So, um, when did Lilith become...erm, an adorable creature thing?
It's kind of a long story. I'll explain later. Come on! I want to show you something before we catch up with the others.

Erm, I'll explain that later too....

*A moment later*

I'm so sorry for frightening you, Felicia! Please, allow me to explain...

*Things are explained*

Lord Corrin...I know the choice you just made was a difficult one. From here on out, you and your allies will continue down your chosen path. I promise to do everything in my power t help you on your journey.
As such, please feel free to use this astral plane to rest or prepare for battle.
Thank you, Lilith. Your kindness and support are very much appreciated.

Long story short: you can use them to customize your castle as you see fit. Let's try it right now. I'll help!

Next time: An intermission to explore Fate's Castle system

Units Joined

Sakura

Class sets: Starts as Shrine Maiden, Sky Knight
PSkill: Quiet Strength-Allies within a 2 tile radius receive 2 less damage

Growth Rates
HP: 45
STR: 35
MAG: 60
SKL: 22
SPD: 55
LCK: 70
DEF: 30
RES: 40

Sakura has a power ability that's helped greatly by Hoshidans having access to 1-2 heal staves. Other than that, WOW at her SPD and MAG growth. Normally, Miracle is a bad skill but with her obscene LCK growth, it might actually save you once in a while.

Azura

Class sets: Starts as Songstress, Sky Knight
PSkill: Healing Descant-Allies within a 2 tile radius recover 10% HP at the start of the user’s Turn

Growth Rates
HP: 25
STR: 60
MAG: 25
SKL: 80
SPD: 80
LCK: 60
DEF: 15
RES: 35

It's a bit of a shame Dancer is so important because what the gently caress are those growths. That's probably the closest to a literal glass cannon in Fire Emblem.

Kaze

Class sets: Starts as Ninja, Samurai
PSkill: Miraculous Save-When user is the support unit, the lead unit has a Luck% chance of surviving a fatal attack with 1 HP

Growth Rates
HP: 60
STR: 45
MAG: 0
SKL: 65
SPD: 85
LCK: 20
DEF: 25
RES: 50

If Kaze didn't gain SPD on a level, something went horrible wrong. With a decent RES growth, Kaze can easily specialize into an anti-mage option should the need arise, though his low LCK growth sucks considering his PSkill.

Rinkah

Class sets: Starts as Oni Savage, Ninja
PSkill: Fiery Blood-When user’s HP is not full, damage +4

Growth Rates
HP: 40
STR: 45
MAG: 25
SKL: 50
SPD: 55
LCK: 35
DEF: 65
RES: 20

Looks can be deceiving. Rinkah seems like a hard hitting, HP sponge but in reality she's a speedy physical tank...with lowish HP growths. The best use of her is probably having her gulp an HP Tonic at the start of every battle to get her PSkill active immediately and improve her endurance.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Did they drop the HP growths around the board by about 20 compared to other games? Those numbers feel on the lowish side, again compared to other games.

Azura's growths, holy hell. What's the accuracy/evade formula here? Because in say the GBA games she'd be broken beyond comparison after a few levels (the problem would be getting her there).

Sakura is Lilina, healer version, although trading some Magic growth for speed. Probably a good trade in this case.

E: a thought: why the hell was baby Corrin within arm's reach of dad :moreevil:? Didn't they have their fancy mind control barrier preventing hostiles from engaging in hostilities within Hoshido? Did they state that the barrier went up after the kidnapping and I missed it?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 19, 2017

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

Omobono posted:

Did they drop the HP growths around the board by about 20 compared to other games? Those numbers feel on the lowish side, again compared to other games.

Azura's growths, holy hell. What's the accuracy/evade formula here? Because in say the GBA games she'd be broken beyond comparison after a few levels (the problem would be getting her there).

Sakura is Lilina, healer version, although trading some Magic growth for speed. Probably a good trade in this case.

Yeah, particularly when it comes to Awakening, where everyone had close to or even above 100%, HP growths in Fates are quite low. There is 1 unit I can think of offhand that even comes close to 100%. Meanwhile, you have Azura, who will usually be around 25 HP at the end of the game, if you're lucky.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Omobono posted:

E: a thought: why the hell was baby Corrin within arm's reach of dad :moreevil:? Didn't they have their fancy mind control barrier preventing hostiles from engaging in hostilities within Hoshido? Did they state that the barrier went up after the kidnapping and I missed it?

It was explained earlier. Sumeragi was invited by Garon on a "peace talk" and was ambushed in Nohr. Corrin was a a tag along and presumably was blocking the arrows for Corrin.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

PSkill: Competitive-When user is the lead unit and their Level is lower than their support unit’s Level, Critical rate +10, damage +3 and damage received -1

Competitive is a weird skill. You're basically forcing a higher level unit on your party to disappear to give Takumi extra power. I guess Corrin can eventually be that, since his skills gives him faster EXP I guess? It's not like he needs the PSkill because he has

The Fujin Yumi. Yeah, that's right. 14 mt, default +2 resistance for a Yumi, and an ability that basically lets him dominate forested and sandy areas.

Combined that with Quick Draw, a default level 10 Archer ability that gives +4 damage when attacking, and he's one-shotting most enemies without effort.
Yeah, let's just highlight this little number once more. Takumi is perhaps this game's undisputed Best Archer, let alone in the entire franchise. What's not explained by Fujin Yumi's blurb is that it's "negate terrain movement penalties" effect doesn't require Takumi to equip Fujin Yumi, just have it in his inventory like Siegfried and Raijinto's bonuses.

And you know what? With the help of reclassing and Fates' support system, Takumi can get even more overpowered.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Okay, first thing's first: Lyric interpretation.

Embrace the brand-new day
Fairly straightforward, really; I'm pretty sure this refers to picking the Hoshido path after the prologue.

Now then, my opinions on the (non-Avatar) characters thus far, in order of recruitment:

Felicia - She is one of the few characters who are UTTER TRASH at their default classes (she has the second-worst innate Strength growth out of ALL playable characters who start out using it, the worst being Gunter), but shine in a different one; she's got really good magic stats and access to a Tomes class. Personally, I like to switch her to the other Troubadour promotion ASAP so she can actually put her much-more-credible Magic growth to good use. As a character... eh, she's alright. I'm not usually fond of the "dojikko" archetype, but she pulls it off pretty well.

Rinkah - Statistically, I always see people scoff at her due to her apparently having a low Strength growth; however, they usually overlook how her default class has one of the highest Strength growth bonuses possible (pretty sure it's THE highest out of the Hoshido classes), which makes her much more credible in offense (especially considering she uses Axes and has the Skill to hit with them)... at the very least, she's never been my WORST attacker (more on that later). I kinda like her as a character, too, though she could probably stand to loosen up.

Kaze - As his growths attest, Kaze is highly specialized in assassinating enemy casters (and virtually guaranteed to cap his Speed); just keep him out of physical units' reach. As a character, I find him... a little bland, but not BAD, really. Take or leave, I guess.

Azura - Stuff tends to break around her... her included; I'm pretty sure I rarely get HP or Defense on her before around level 12 to 15. Now, I'm probably gonna get a lot of complaints for this from fans of Fates, but she's pretty low on my list of "favorite characters" - I just don't like her personality type.

Sakura - Statistically, Sakura's probably gonna be one of your best units down the line; with her growths, she can do literally anything you need her to if you just keep her level up to date. This is probably gonna sound weird after me not liking Azura, but I kinda like her as a character, too; maybe it's just that she seems less resigned and/or more proactive than Azura.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
The low hp growths are compensated by the wealth of passive skills that reduce damage dealt. Several support classes, like Troubadours, get damage reduction skills, so putting them in the right spot vastly reduces the damage your front line units take.

Oh, that explains why Rinkah's strength wasn't going up for me in the first five chapters, her growth is terrible.

VVVV: Elise is goddamn amazing, especially with her personal skill. If you move her up at the beginning of a push and move around her, she'll keep units healthy even if she isn't healing every turn. Also, a mounted healer is always good in my book.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 19, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My only real issue with Sakura is that while she's a very competent healer, she's also kind of a boring one. Other than her Personal she pretty much fills the role as 'standard cleric', now with more range. You also already have a decent healer that can attack at that point (Jakob/Felicia). On the Conquest side, Elise at least gives more strategic options with her horse (and you might actually need to field two healers).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Azura actually makes for a surprisingly good Attack Stance user, with that good Strength growth (seriously, it's higher than RD Ike's Strength growth) she can offset the "half damage when support attacking" fairly well. Her personal also helps with her support-based playstyle by allowing her to play an off-healer just by existing and being close to dudes.

Sakura is a pretty powerful support unit who helps in defensive situations (unfortunately, Birthright is Awakening 2.0, which means it's a lot of Route and Kill Boss objectives) and when she promotes she has good options: A renamed Sage class that unfortunately has a low-ish Luck cap, hampering her high growth, but giving her great magic offense, and an alternate that has a higher Staff rank, but whose's weapon is Bows. On the plus side, she gets a higher Luck cap and there is a Bow that deals magic damage so she can contribute there, at least on Revelation.

Kaze's role is simple: He's a solid dodge-tank, if he gets lucky he can mage-kill.

Rinkah's a decent tank, which is actually really good because Hoshidan classes have problems with being squishy, so she helps take the heat off. Her personal helps offset her average Strength growth.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

Azura - Stuff tends to break around her... her included; I'm pretty sure I rarely get HP or Defense on her before around level 12 to 15. Now, I'm probably gonna get a lot of complaints for this from fans of Fates, but she's pretty low on my list of "favorite characters" - I just don't like her personality type.

Sakura - Statistically, Sakura's probably gonna be one of your best units down the line; with her growths, she can do literally anything you need her to if you just keep her level up to date. This is probably gonna sound weird after me not liking Azura, but I kinda like her as a character, too; maybe it's just that she seems less resigned and/or more proactive than Azura.

Not on SA at least. There are a lot of people in the FE threads that don't particularly care for Azura for reasons that will come up eventually. And Azura and Sakura don't really have similar personalities, so it doesn't really come across as odd you'd like one and not the other. Azura just seems to prefer staying out of the spotlight but has no issue interacting with strangers if necessary, whereas Sakura is flat-out shy. So other aspects of their personality, like how determined they can be in other situations, doesn't really track to their social interactions.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I was under the impression that Takumi was a girl this whole time. I need to read more closely.

That choice didn't seem as hard as it should have been. The team in black seems very clearly evil even if they don't seem to realize it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Omobono posted:

He's practically wearing a royal mantle with Die Corrin Die embroidered.

It's German for The Corrin, The.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So fire emblems insistence on having dragons has come full circle.
Gotta have them dragons. Dragon protag, dragon sidekick, dragon royals, dragon veins, dragon pocket dimension, dragon magic, rideable dragons, dragon gumbo.
Loadsa bullshit about dragons.

wheres a fuckin wyrmslayer when you need one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

CptWedgie posted:

Felicia - She is one of the few characters who are UTTER TRASH at their default classes (she has the second-worst innate Strength growth out of ALL playable characters who start out using it, the worst being Gunter), but shine in a different one; she's got really good magic stats and access to a Tomes class. Personally, I like to switch her to the other Troubadour promotion ASAP so she can actually put her much-more-credible Magic growth to good use. As a character... eh, she's alright. I'm not usually fond of the "dojikko" archetype, but she pulls it off pretty well.

I have to disagree. She may be good in a class that uses tomes, but she is probably the best option for the Maid class. Maid/Butlers are great support classes. Besides the obvious healing, their Hidden Weapons will debuff and Felicia's low Str means she probably won't kill, making her an excellent unit to control EXP gain to weaker units. Plus, there are magic based weapons of every weapon type. I recall someone else saying it was hard to obtain, but that isn't really true, it is practically handed to you in one of the routes, and can easily be bought in the other two. Once she starts using that, she can do really good damage at two range, like you would want from a Tome user, but she still has the option to go physical.

Junpei posted:

Sakura is a pretty powerful support unit who helps in defensive situations (unfortunately, Birthright is Awakening 2.0, which means it's a lot of Route and Kill Boss objectives) and when she promotes she has good options: A renamed Sage class that unfortunately has a low-ish Luck cap, hampering her high growth, but giving her great magic offense, and an alternate that has a higher Staff rank, but whose's weapon is Bows. On the plus side, she gets a higher Luck cap and there is a Bow that deals magic damage so she can contribute there, at least on Revelation

To be fair, Sakura's Str growth is not particularly bad. Without considering the extra growth from classes, she actually has a higher growth than Rinkah, and it is higher or comparable to many other physical units (it's only 5 less than Takumi, for example). Add in the fact that bows have a high Mt, she doesn't really have a huge problem with damage.

When it comes to Rinkah, she is worth using on Birthright. If you're lucky, you get a good tank. If you're unluckly, she can at least be used as a pairup partner, since she gives Str and Def, which is semi-rare among Birthright units.

I would say Kaze is hands down the best anti-magic unit in the game, but it speaks more to his competition than him as a unit, so I'll save it when his competition actually shows up.

• Locked thread