Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Besides Nohr likes to wear purple
We all know what purple means in FE.
And Hoshido wears red.
Again, we all know what that means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The best Anti-mage unit is still technically Felicia because she learns Tomebreaker at level 15 (way before anyone can promote usually) and Hidden Weapons have advantage over Tomes. Having 50 extra avoid means she can solo mages, while Kaze can still get in trouble if the enemy starts doing tag-team assaults, his RES isn't THAT godly.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

Tae posted:

The best Anti-mage unit is still technically Felicia because she learns Tomebreaker at level 15 (way before anyone can promote usually) and Hidden Weapons have advantage over Tomes. Having 50 extra avoid means she can solo mages, while Kaze can still get in trouble if the enemy starts doing tag-team assaults, his RES isn't THAT godly.

That is fair, and I guess in Birthright, where enemies can and will zerg rush, it can be useful to have a unit that faces 0% hit from enemies, but when you can actually control the pace of battle, like you generally can in Conquest and Revelation, you never need to take more than, like 3 attacks at a time, and if you are in guard stance, you wind up getting attacked once, if that. I'd take Kaze's ability to actually secure kills when needed, over Felicila, who would probably only be able to soften the mage for someone else, which can be useful, but mages are the one unit I'd like to be dead as soon as possible, as Res is a little hard to come by in this game.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Lord Koth posted:

Not on SA at least. There are a lot of people in the FE threads that don't particularly care for Azura for reasons that will come up eventually. And Azura and Sakura don't really have similar personalities, so it doesn't really come across as odd you'd like one and not the other. Azura just seems to prefer staying out of the spotlight but has no issue interacting with strangers if necessary, whereas Sakura is flat-out shy. So other aspects of their personality, like how determined they can be in other situations, doesn't really track to their social interactions.

Fair enough. I haven't actually looked around on SA, so I wasn't aware about her unpopularity here (and I'm pretty sure I know what the reasons are); I was assuming people would complain because she seems to be a fan-favorite for some reason.

And really, what really makes me liking Sakura odd is that the shy characters usually don't do anything for me. I have no idea why I like her; I just do, I guess.

ohmygorgon posted:

I have to disagree. She may be good in a class that uses tomes, but she is probably the best option for the Maid class. Maid/Butlers are great support classes. Besides the obvious healing, their Hidden Weapons will debuff and Felicia's low Str means she probably won't kill, making her an excellent unit to control EXP gain to weaker units. Plus, there are magic based weapons of every weapon type. I recall someone else saying it was hard to obtain, but that isn't really true, it is practically handed to you in one of the routes, and can easily be bought in the other two. Once she starts using that, she can do really good damage at two range, like you would want from a Tome user, but she still has the option to go physical.

I tend to focus on making my units independently viable in combat first, THEN consider synergy. "Kill feeders" (and, to a lesser extent, support units) tend to be quite low on my lists for this reason. Therefore, I don't think we'll ever agree on this topic and thus we should just leave it at that.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So fire emblems insistence on having dragons has come full circle.
Gotta have them dragons. Dragon protag, dragon sidekick, dragon royals, dragon veins, dragon pocket dimension, dragon magic, rideable dragons, dragon gumbo.
Loadsa bullshit about dragons.

wheres a fuckin wyrmslayer when you need one
I'm sorry to tell you that dragon gumbo is not in this game. Everything else, however, is in this game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Felicia is a competent Maid (especially if you get one of the magical hidden weapons), and the class does give her better defenses, speed and pair-up bonuses. The problem is that by the end of the game, those bonuses aren't enough to offset her growths, so she's arguably better off switching to her other option for more movement and offensive growths.

Rinkah is one of my favourite experimental characters (along with another we'll get on the Conquest route), her growths and starting class are so bizarre; they can work, but you have to invest in her. Her being pretty much your only axe user in Birthright is less relevant than you'd think, sadly.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Besides Nohr likes to wear purple
We all know what purple means in FE.
And Hoshido wears red.
Again, we all know what that means

Hoshido is the bad guys and Nohr is uh

i don't know what Purple means

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

Wait a minute, I thought the different paths were sold separately? How does offering the in-game choice work, then?

Or wait, do Conquest and Birthright not have the option, but Revelations does, maybe?

The options are greyed out based on which game you have. If you have Birthright, you can't side with Nohr and vice-versa.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Gaelio Bauduin.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Hidden weapons" is an odd name for those things. First time I saw people talking about it I assumed it was some secret unlockable that everyone just assumed everyone else knew about.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Rinkah is one of my favourite experimental characters (along with another we'll get on the Conquest route), her growths and starting class are so bizarre; they can work, but you have to invest in her. Her being pretty much your only axe user in Birthright is less relevant than you'd think, sadly.

Experimental is a good word for Rinkah. There are some My Castle shenanigans you can get up to later that really color my perception of her as a unit, but I won't go into detail until the LP covers that feature

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

Nohr likes the Minnesota Vikings, obviously.

Purple People Eaters, anyone?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AradoBalanga posted:

Nohr likes the Minnesota Vikings, obviously.

Purple People Eaters, anyone?

Nah, Nohr is rocking the Saints. Would make a lot of sense given how they're acting, honestly.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Bruceski posted:

"Hidden weapons" is an odd name for those things. First time I saw people talking about it I assumed it was some secret unlockable that everyone just assumed everyone else knew about.

They're probably named for the fact that they're small enough to be concealed with ease.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

They're probably named for the fact that they're small enough to be concealed with ease.

Yeah, it makes sense once you've figured it out but before that it just sounds like someone's talking about rare items like character weapons in Awakening.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Why can't IntSys just call them Daggers or Shurikens on the whole?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

because shurikens are different from daggers

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
I believe it is referred to that because the dagger name in the Japanese version translates to Hidden Weapon, although I don't know that for sure. It would make sense to just say Daggers, since the Nohr version of the weapons are the "classic" version of the weapons, but the game seems to use Shuriken as the "canon" name for the weapon type, with it being the only Hoshido weapon to be listed first over the Nohr weapon when you look at weapon proficiency. Between that and the fact that Hidden Weapon seemed to stick, I generally just use that, but I imagine Shuriken will wind up being the "canon" name if they return in future games.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what they are referred to as in Heroes? I know there are still both daggers and shurikens in that game, but is the weapon type referred to in anything like a unit stats screen or something similar?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Junpei posted:

I mean, they do but they also needed a catch-all just like how Swords and Katanas are both collectively swords, or how Bows and Yumis are collectively bows.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

because shurikens are different from daggers

Well, Nohrian and Hoshidan weapons are named differently.

Nohr/Hoshido
Swords/Katanas
Lances/Naginatas
Axes/Clubs
Bows/Yumi
Tomes/Scrolls
Staves/Rods
Daggers/Shuriken

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, it makes sense once you've figured it out but before that it just sounds like someone's talking about rare items like character weapons in Awakening.

Why would you need to figure it out? the first thing we see when attacking with them is the butler producing them from his sleeves/the maid kicking one up from her shoes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MightyPretenders posted:

Why would you need to figure it out? the first thing we see when attacking with them is the butler producing them from his sleeves/the maid kicking one up from her shoes.

I'm literally talking to someone who thought it was something completely different. So, first time experience is why.

Bruceski posted:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
'Thrown Weapons' would be a better category name, since that's basically what shuriken are. Calling them 'Hidden Weapons' tends to cause confusion.

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

I think Hidden Weapon is a fine descriptor, considering they're literally hidden on the user's person before they use them? It's included in their attack animations and everything.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
I loved these games and definitely purchased the two other storylines through DLC. While there were a lot of head desk moments, I overall loved these games.

I also loved hearing at the video game store about guys who bought Conquest because it was harder and then returned it, crying.

Are there votes for who to use? Because I vote to use Rinkah as much as humanly possible. :D

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aesclepia posted:

I also loved hearing at the video game store about guys who bought Conquest because it was harder and then returned it, crying.

Huh? Why? Anything that has grogs raging has my interest.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I would assume those people thought Conquest would be similar to Awakening, not realizing that Conquest is built more around strategies from much earlier games or having to understand the AI's behavior and exploiting weaknesses.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Her being pretty much your only axe user in Birthright is less relevant than you'd think, sadly.

To elaborate, bows are on the same part of the weapon triangle as axes, and bows are insanely strong in Fates.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

AradoBalanga posted:

I would assume those people thought Conquest would be similar to Awakening, not realizing that Conquest is built more around strategies from much earlier games or having to understand the AI's behavior and exploiting weaknesses.

As far as I can tell, that's why. I played Birthright first, decided I loved the games and their silly, silly stories, and wanted more of that.
Besides, you can set your game to Casual and Normal. It's really ok to just enjoy the games.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cythereal posted:

It'll be shown off pretty clearly when the LP gets there, but in general while Birthright follows Awakening's style of large groups of sheer stats, Conquest leans more towards some ability/weapon combinations that range from annoying to downright sinister. Enemies with reverse-rescue staves to pull guys into killboxes and max range just happens to be where you'd probably plant someone at a chokepoint, things like that. Nothing you couldn't work around by being clever, but you need to check the battlefield before you start and look for the traps.

Aesclepia posted:

As far as I can tell, that's why. I played Birthright first, decided I loved the games and their silly, silly stories, and wanted more of that.
Besides, you can set your game to Casual and Normal. It's really ok to just enjoy the games.

I play on casual once I realized that playing hardcore doesn't change anything, just makes me more stressed as I reset levels. Casual/hard is my ideal spot of challenge/consequences.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

To elaborate, bows are on the same part of the weapon triangle as axes, and bows are insanely strong in Fates.

I just kinda figured it was mostly because you get an axe-wielding prepremote that's pretty crazy busted against everything but magic for most of their post join time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
MyCastle Chapter 6.5

Let me show you how.

Welcome to Fates' MyCastle. It's basically your be-all end-all for shopping, supports, forging, etc.

Options are limited right now, with weapon and rod shops only available for now.

Statues basically raise the stat cap when placed, so in this case a Corrin statue raises the DEF cap by 1. When a character gets 20 kills, they have a statue and each other is specific to a stat I.E. Rinkah=STR, Kaze=SPD, etc.

Basically, the best way is to rotate in characters for the minimum kills to get free stat caps.

You can build your castle bit by bit the further you get in your adventures. Eventually, it will truly reflect you and your personality-a Fort Corrin! With that, I'll take my leave.

DVP is basically a point after every mission, including DLC and such.

Alright, let's go explore the castle. I'm going to explain things as the options open up in between missions, since there's enough to do honestly.

The first thing of course is opening up the menu. Got your standard convoy to move equipment around, skill management, and supports.

I'm going to build a rod shop first, because weapons aren't a high priority right now and there's more relevant stuff in this store. Plus, staves are the only weapons that run out of uses so Sakura needs to be kept lock and loaded.

Random guy is manning the shop right now, but as the party grows, an actual party member will take over and sometimes give discounts on stuff.

Sun Festal is just a Mend version of Bloom Festal. That Rescue Stave is tempting, but too much money for now.

The shop also has all the tonics, another reason why to open the Rod Shop first. Generally HP Tonic for Rinkah and DEF Tonic for the tanks are safe options.

Alright, let's get into this.

Heart Seal: Changes a character to their alt class. I've been listing characters with a different class besides their current one, and this is why. This is how you change Sakura and Azura to a Sky Knight, and Corrin to a Samurai.

Now if you use a Heart Seal on Felicia, she can change into a Strategist (Mage Knight, Valkyrie of past games), Hero, or Bow Knight. The latter is because she has the Mercenary.

For skills, character gain the skill of their new class on the next level. Sakura switching to Sky Knight and then leveling up will have her learn Darting Blow.

Partner Seal: A character can change to their S rank partner's base class.

Pretty simple. Any exceptions will be covered by the next seal.

Friendship Seal: A character can change to their A+ rank partner's base class.

So A+ is new to Fates, which is basically an extra rank with a same sex character. There's no extra dialogue or anything, and it doesn't take up an S rank slot. It's basically there to have more class options.

The other thing about A+ is that one character initiating it does not take up the slot of the other character I.E. Ryoma A+ with Corrin, Corrin can still A+ with another guy like Kaze.

So there's the basic scenarios with S and A+ rank about base class adopting:

-Scenario 1: If Kaze and Sakura achieve an S-Support, Kaze will gain the Monk class while Sakura will gain the Ninja class.

-Scenario 2: If Felicia and Jacob achieve an S-Support, each will gain each others secondary class if they use the seal since both have Servant as their base class.

-Scenario 3: If Hinoka and Sakura achieve an A+ Support, Hinoka will gain access to Shrine Maiden, while Sakura will gain nothing, since her secondary class is the Sky Knight class.

-Scenario 4: If Azura and a Manakete achieve an S-Support, Azura will gain access to whatever game alternative instead of the Manakete class while the Manakete will gain access to the Sky Knight class instead of the Songstress class. It's like how Donny gives Dark Flier to his kid because Villager can't be inherited back in Awakening

-Scenario 5: If Corrin with the secondary class of Oni Savage and Rinkah achieve an S-Support, Corrin will still "gain access" to the Oni Savage class while Rinkah gains access to the Nohrian variant of the Oni Savage class, the Fighter class.

Time to get random stuff!

Monkey Spirit: D rank Scroll. 4 mt. 1-2 range. +1 SKL/SPD, +2 RES, -4 LCK.

A really good Fire for Hoshidan mages, the D rank means characters need to be a little skilled in spell slinging before being able to use it.

Paper: E rank. 1 mt. 1-2 range. +1 SPD, bronze weapon properties.

Bronze weapon, with +1 SPD because Hoshido.

Characters can also get random boosts on stats. If you played Awakening or the FE12 translation, it's the same concept here.

Record Hall is basically how you see supports, cutscenes, and hubba shenanigans. I don't like this change, because if you want to see supports, you have to load in a game instead of just doing it from the main menu.

Private Quarters is where you get extra support points, more important in Conquest because that game doesn't have random stages available to grind out bond points.

You can change Corrin's hairstyle in here. I'm keeping him the same because this is box canon run and I'm going going to recapture every single face again

So the treehouse shows a list of characters you can talk to but only the ones with hearts get actual support points. And once you choose, you used up your visit for the time being.

Sup, Kaze

Wait, Corrin plays the piano??

Each character has a lot of lines, and they're all voiced so that's kinda neat.

Lilith gets her own temple, that greedy dragon

So this is a good time to tell you that Fates has this whole extensive multiplayer thing that involves building defenses and healing and raising stats to defend, etc. I'm not doing any of that ever so for this temple's purpose, it's just feeding Lilith random food we pick up from nearby trees.

So the only real mechanic Lilith has outside of multiplayer is that she gives free gold bars every 3 levels. I mean, that's like two tonics I guess....?

Finally, there's the Crystal Ball.

Most of these options? Useless for this LP. I have an OG 3ds, I couldn't do amiibos even if I wanted to. However, Bonuses is another thing...

You get bonus items based on if you have the other games. The total inventory is:
2 Dread Fighter seals
2 Dragon Herbs (+1 all stats)
2 Boots (+1 movement)
2 Dark Flier seals

Not going to use the class changes until later on unless there's a REAL big demand after I get the other special classes.

And that's it for now. These Mycastle updates will be in between chapters as their own thing.

[All translations by https://kantopia.wordpress.com/]

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

ohmygorgon posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what they are referred to as in Heroes? I know there are still both daggers and shurikens in that game, but is the weapon type referred to in anything like a unit stats screen or something similar?

They are called Hidden Weapons in that game too. I think it is in one of the tutorials.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Tae posted:

The other thing about A+ is that one character initiating it does not take up the slot of the other character I.E. Ryoma A+ with Corrin, Corrin can still A+ with another guy like Kaze.

Correction: Nobody can A+ with Corrin; the only person who can get Corrin's extra class is their spouse.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

My Castle is a nice experiment in Fates. Having all shops and resources in one big hub area is a neat idea and saves time on having to send some people off to do supply runs like in older games. My one complaint overall is that the gems and food stuffs are random based on your route of choice, and I don't think there is a way to tell what ones your castle will have until you reach this first intermission. It would be nice to know what I'm getting ahead of time since I find that some weapon types are much more useful than others, and can plan accordingly.

The multiplayer battling is okay, but I do wish it was less of a slog to gain Battle Points since the rewards for doing those are just as useful as the ones you get for Visit Points. Like, want a free Wrymslayer? Go grind out 1150 BP. I only mention this because you always get VP regardless of what you do in another player's castle, whereas you have to choose to battle someone else to gain BP, and sometimes they are specced for serious competitive fights rather than simple casual battles/easy seizes. And it is easy for someone to put "EASY SEIZE!!" in their castle's name, only to be outright lying and have an overpowered team of defenders that will crush you.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Tae posted:

I have an OG 3ds, I couldn't do amiibos even if I wanted to.

Not true. Nintendo sells an NFC reader that uses the 3DS's IR sensor to do amiibo support for old3DS models. They did a bundle with Happy Home Designer so people could use Animal Crossing amiibos and amiibo cards to import favourite characters.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
So I really enjoy Fates' version of reclassing. I was never a fan of the mechanic previously, since i've held the belief that reclassing kinda removes part of the individuality of units, where they have to stick with their classes to fill a part of a larger party with other characters in the same class filling their niche in another way if they don't turn out well. also because of petty aesthetic reasons. But thanks to the more limited selection of alternate classes at first, having a more limited ability to buy Second/Heart Seals initially, them being based on unit personalities and supports (So you have a greater deal of decision making at first on who gets reclassed to what), and having better skill synergy all around (Plus personal skills), it made start to really appreciate it, especially on my current Birthright Hard run.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Tae posted:

Paper: E rank. 1 mt. 1-2 range. +1 SPD, bronze weapon properties.

Bronze weapon, with +1 SPD because Hoshido.
Paper is actually better than a bronze weapon for two reasons. The first is that it actually gives +10 Avoid, not just the Dodge of bronze weapons, and second in that it can still crit and activate skills.

There's a joke weapon of each type, but in Fates they can actually be really good.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I initially wanted to make My Castle pretty and well laid out; full of heal tiles, forests and whatnot.

By the end of my playthroughs I'd always scrapped everything that wasn't a shop in order to fit MORE STATUES.

It was almost like having Limit Breaker, but man was my base dull to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Surprised that you didn't mentioned the removal of the whole face petting mini-game.

Honestly, it's pretty amusing to me since it's so obvious that something cut. Not that I loving wanted that mini-game, but the way they went about taking it out was pretty lazy.

• Locked thread