Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

theshim posted:

Paper is actually better than a bronze weapon for two reasons. The first is that it actually gives +10 Avoid, not just the Dodge of bronze weapons, and second in that it can still crit and activate skills.

There's a joke weapon of each type, but in Fates they can actually be really good.

This. For reference, just out of the stuff you can find randomly, my weapons of choice for each weapon type are as follows (with stuff that's going to find its way into my final equipment setups whenever possible in italics):

Sword: Parasol (D Rank, 1-2 range, 1 Might, 85 Hit, +10 Crit, cannot double, +5 enemy Speed for doubling, katana modifiers), Umbrella (basically the same thing minus katana modifiers), Raider Katana (E Rank, 1 Range, 5 Might, 85 Hit, +3 user Speed for doubling, cosmetic effects with weapon advantage, katana modifiers)
Lance: Raider Naginata (E Rank, 1 Range, 5 Might, 75 Hit, +3 user Speed for doubling, cosmetic effects with weapon advantage, naginata modifiers), Peri's Lance (D Rank, 1-2 Range, 2 Might, 75 Hit, +10 Crit, cannot double, +5 enemy Speed for doubling)
Axe: Hoe (D Rank, 1 Range, 5 Might, 70 Hit, +5 Crit, ignores all terrain bonuses), Raider Axe (E Rank, 1 Range, 7 Might, 65 Hit, +3 user Speed for doubling, cosmetic effects with weapon advantage)
Bows: Raider Yumi (E Rank, 2 Range, 6 Might, 65 Hit, +3 user Speed for doubling, cosmetic effects with weapon advantage, yumi modifiers), Sidelong Yumi (D Rank, 1-2 Range, 3 Might, 65 Hit, -10 Avoid, cannot double, +5 enemy Speed for doubling, yumi modifiers)
Hidden Weapons: Kaze's Needle (C Rank, 1-2 Range, 3 Might, 90 Hit, +4 Speed to allies within 2 spaces when attacking, -4 each to enemy's Speed/Defense/Resistance on hit, shuriken modifiers), Saizo's Star (basically the same thing except for swapping Speed for Strength), Stale Bread (D Rank, 1-2 Range, 3 Might, 80 Hit, heal user 20% when attacking, -3 enemy Defense/Resistance on hit), Raider Knife (E Rank, 1-2 Range, 3 Might, 85 Hit, +3 user Speed for doubling, cosmetic effects with weapon advantage, -2 enemy Luck/Defense/Resistance on hit), Felicia's Plate (C Rank, 1-2 Range, 4 Might, 85 Hit, -10 Avoid, deals magic damage, -3 enemy Strength and -4 enemy Defense/Resistance on hit)
Tomes: Disrobing Gale (E Rank, 1-2 Range, 4 Might, 75 Hit, +3 user Speed for doubling, cosmetic effects with weapon advantage), Moonlight (D Rank, 1-2 Range, 4 Might, 70 Hit, heal user 20% when attacking)

Notice how NONE of the "random find" weapons have the property "cannot trigger offensive skills" (which, for the record, includes critical hits). This means that you can haul out stuff like Critical Astra with a random scrap of paper you find lying around if you want. This single-handedly makes the joke weapons better than Bronze-tier equipment despite their pathetic stats, and the 1-2 findable weapons of the Sword, Lance, and Bow types are better than practically anything due to their ability to CRIT at 1-2 range (the Sidelong Yumi, in particular, actually salvages Bow-locked units from UNUSABILITY). Yeah, they can be crazy good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
"Cosmetic effect" is one way of putting it. :v:

But uh, no, bowmen are pretty good even without sidelong yumi because bows hit like nukes in this game.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Cuntellectual posted:

But uh, no, bowmen are pretty good even without sidelong yumi because bows hit like nukes in this game.

Okay yeah, I was probably just considering them in a vacuum there (or more accurately, their shortage of 1-range attacks). Properly supported, they can be quite useful. It's probably my focus on making everyone viable even when cut off that led to my low opinion of bows in this series (generally speaking, a surrounded archer is USELESS due to the fact that the vast majority of bows have a minimum range of 2). It doesn't help that the AI ALWAYS tries to attack someone who can't retaliate whenever possible, since that generally leads to your archers getting neutralized by sheer surrounded-ness.

In short: There is a REASON Bow-locked units are considered low-tier in most entries.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

CptWedgie posted:

Okay yeah, I was probably just considering them in a vacuum there (or more accurately, their shortage of 1-range attacks). Properly supported, they can be quite useful. It's probably my focus on making everyone viable even when cut off that led to my low opinion of bows in this series (generally speaking, a surrounded archer is USELESS due to the fact that the vast majority of bows have a minimum range of 2). It doesn't help that the AI ALWAYS tries to attack someone who can't retaliate whenever possible, since that generally leads to your archers getting neutralized by sheer surrounded-ness.

In short: There is a REASON Bow-locked units are considered low-tier in most entries.

Oh absolutely, but Fates is way different there.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I've really found the Raider +3 speed buff to be highly useful, since doubling with a weaker weapon will deal more damage, have a greater chance of triggering skills, and builds the Support Defense meter faster.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Cuntellectual posted:

Oh absolutely, but Fates is way different there.

Of course, there's nothing preventing you from giving them a Sidelong Yumi as a backup to prevent exactly the method of neutralization I was complaining about, right? I mean, this series seems to actively reward the "weapon for every situation" approach to combat even when weapons can actually break, in my experience.

Rogue 7 posted:

I've really found the Raider +3 speed buff to be highly useful, since doubling with a weaker weapon will deal more damage, have a greater chance of triggering skills, and builds the Support Defense meter faster.

Very much this, to the point that my tome of choice in Awakening was Celica's Gale (extremely weak per hit, but doubles your attacks, no questions asked- ridiculously deadly when you can double enemies ANYWAY).

What makes Raider weapons even better is that they're only slightly weaker than Iron-tier weapons, usable by ANYONE with the appropriate weapon type unlocked, AND give a speed bonus on top of that. Like I said: Findable weapons can get crazy good.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Emperordaein posted:

So I really enjoy Fates' version of reclassing. I was never a fan of the mechanic previously, since i've held the belief that reclassing kinda removes part of the individuality of units

On the other hand, reclassing gets you shenanigans like General Catria snapping entire maps in half over her knee.

Also you can still grind support ranks in Conquest. Just do the free DLC map repeatedly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Supports

C rank
Felicia?! What's wrong? Why are you curling up on the floor again?!

Popular? With...the ladies?

Does the ninja understand?

Do you really miss my spooky stories?

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Tae posted:

Kaze is a pretty cool, chill dude.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

C rank
Felicia?! What's wrong? Why are you curling up on the floor again?!

Am I the only one who feels sorry for Felicia? I mean, it seems that the only thing she's GOOD at is something she absolutely DESPISES.

Tae posted:

Popular? With...the ladies?

Kaze is being dense. It's sad when the lifelong prisoner is more clued-in than you are. Of course, it's possible that he's just willfully oblivious.

Tae posted:

Well, Rinkah's in denial. Kinda trying too hard to come off as Ms. Hardass; I mean, there's nothing wrong with a sweet tooth, right?

Tae posted:

Do you really miss my spooky stories?

I can sympathize with Sakura a bit here. I mean, I hate scary stories too. Main difference is that I don't stick around to hear the end.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I was very worried about the supports being dull and uninteresting after hearing all the flak this game's plot got from people, but I've genuinely enjoyed several supports so far. Some work went into localizing the supports so Americans would get the humor, and I appreciate that.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

CptWedgie posted:

Well, Rinkah's in denial. Kinda trying too hard to come off as Ms. Hardass; I mean, there's nothing wrong with a sweet tooth, right?

Rinkah: "I-it's not like I have a sweet tooth or anything, b-baka!"

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

Kaze is being dense. It's sad when the lifelong prisoner is more clued-in than you are. Of course, it's possible that he's just willfully oblivious.

Part of it is that he likely hates himself to some extent, what with the "They're mistaken. I'm not a good man" line. So if he can't really see that side of himself, others reacting to it is going to cause confusion. Admittedly the other part of it is simply the pretty boy/nice guy combo that attracts the opposite sex with their looks and actions but never notices too.

CptWedgie posted:

I can sympathize with Sakura a bit here. I mean, I hate scary stories too. Main difference is that I don't stick around to hear the end.

I dunno, if I'm going to listen to one in the first place, I'd generally say that not hearing the ending would be even worse than hearing it, especially if you have an active imagination.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 20, 2017

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Lord Koth posted:

Part of it is that he likely hates himself to some extent, what with the "They're mistaken. I'm not a good man" line. So if he can't really see that side of himself, others reacting to it is going to cause confusion. Admittedly the other part of it is simply the pretty boy/nice guy combo that attracts the opposite sex with their looks and actions but never notices too.

Maybe. That said, it's not THAT hard to notice when they're being so blatant about it, at least on a subconscious level. I could understand if he just wasn't interested, but completely oblivious? :cripes:

Lord Koth posted:

I dunno, if I'm going to listen to one in the first place, I'd generally say that not hearing the ending would be even worse than hearing it, especially if you have an active imagination.

What I meant is that I tend to leave as soon as I realize it's supposed to be a horror story (somewhere in the middle of the setup, I'd say). And no, I don't play horror games at all.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

C RANK Support

Hoping to make friends? I'm sorry to disappoint you.

Do you just not like me all that much?

Please wait, Mr. Sheeeeeet!

W-will you promise not to laugh?

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Kaze continues to be a Mensch. Not a terribly interesting mensch, admittedly.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

Hoping to make friends? I'm sorry to disappoint you.

Rinkah's kind of... not sure how to put it. She's definitely trying to push people away. Being the Avatar, of course, means that it's not gonna work...

Tae posted:

Do you just not like me all that much?

Well, Sakura's got problems talking to people. As shown in later supports, she has a reason for it, though.

Tae posted:

Please wait, Mr. Sheeeeeet!

Once again, Felicia sucks at chores. At least Kaze helps her keep track of stuff here.

Tae posted:

W-will you promise not to laugh?

Well, I'm sure everyone's got a possession they really like which they've kept for years. Good on Kaze for helping Sakura look for hers.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Felicia doesn't hate combat, she just enjoys being a maid more.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

Felicia doesn't hate combat, she just enjoys being a maid more.

Let's take a look at the hints thus far.

1: She tried to run away.
2: She only stopped to fight when she had no other choice (as in, surrounded).
3: She explicitly says she was terrified by the above situation.
4: She doesn't want to be a warrior.

Yeah, that all looks like she hates fighting to me. Not to say that she doesn't want to be a maid (because she does), but she certainly doesn't want to FIGHT.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Are we going to vote on who Corrin takes to Poundtown?

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I think we have free reign on who marries who until we reach the Conquest campaign.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Marry the dragon

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

FELD1 posted:

Are we going to vote on who Corrin takes to Poundtown?

Could be tricky if Tae wants every character. See, Fates, in another show of the brilliance and attention to detail that gave us the entire plot, has the exact same number of fathers and potential mothers, barring Corrin. So, if Dude Corrin bangs someone who could be banging someone else, then one of the other kids won't be born.

Also, the supports aren't as obviously bad as the main plot, but man. This was the first Fire Emblem where I started to groan at getting new supports. A lot of them are worse than Yarne and Laurent levels of dull.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Missing stuff is what the third game is for.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

Missing stuff is what the third game is for.

Exactly.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Note that missing stuff doesn't necessarily mean just missing good stuff.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
There is one, and only one, character I want someone to record the voiced lines for after Corrin marries them.

Sadly, we'll have to wait a bit before she's an option, and she's not an option in Conquest.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Part 1

Here's the first view of how chapters work in Fate. You got Next Chapter which is explanatory. Dragon's Gate is DLC access. Difficulty is the option to turn it down (you can never raise it up), and the last two aren't available for Conquest.

Challenge is basically the random battles in Awakening, and Scout is paying gold to get more Challenges.

Man, that fort looks really impressive. Really puts into perspective how they're fighting in reality.

...Actually, this makes them throwing shurikens through walls even more confusing :psyduck:

Personal hot take: I hate the pigeon-toe stance Azura has in her model.

What is this place?
This is Fort Jinya. Sakura is already here, tending to wounded soldiers and citizens. Let's go and help her.
By all means.

Oh right, that giant explosion thanks to daddy's sword. That had consequence.

Corrin! Thank you for coming!
Is everything OK, Sakura? I'm here to help.
Yes, but thank goodness you're here. We're really short staffed.

Han a is the designated Samurai, Subaki is the Sky Knight. Technically not the first male Pegasus rider because Pegasus Knight is an actual, different class. Technicalities....?

Nice to meet both of you.
I'm afraid you probably know a lot more about me than I know about either of you.
That's OK, Corrin. I'm sure you'll be fast friends in no time. Hana and Subaki are my retainers-always close at hand and ready to help.
Ah, I see. Well, we should have plenty of time to relax and get to know-

Seriously? We haven't been here five minutes.
Yes, well...the Nohrian soldiers haven't wasted any time surrounding us.
Unbelievable.
I can't believe they'd attack at at time like this...We're using most of the fort as a makeshift hospital-there's no military target here! Why can't they just leave us alone?

With my help, of course. If you'd like, Lady Sakura, you may remain with the wounded while we resolve this.
I'll consider it. Thank you. Both of you.
Well then. I guess we'll be getting to know each other in a hurry. Nothing like a life-or-death-situation to cut right through the small talk.

Is Corrin a way different character or is it just me

As you command, Lord Corrin! As Lady Sakura's lead retainer, it will be my pleasure to take your orders.
And as Lady Sakura's supervising retainer, I, too, welcome your leadership.
Supervising retainer? That's not a thing.
Well, neither is lead retainer. I don't remember you getting a promotion.
Lady Sakura and I have been best friends since childhood! I've ALWAYS been her lead retainer.
I"m not sure this is the time or place for such a discussion, but...
I believe my results on the battlefield speak for themselves.

Oh no, it turns out Sakura has died from the enemy because you two won't shut up

Oh, so is that why you neglect all your nonbattle duties? Is that why I'm the one maintaining all of our gear and scouting the enemy?
Guys, um...

You're embarrassing yourselves-and me!
Corrin, please don't let this juvenile display deceive you. Hana and Subaki are both extremely capable on the battlefield. And they're both going to set aside this petty argument and help you, right?
Of course, milady.
Certainly. Expect perfection, and you will not be disappointed.
Excellent. I'm glad to have your support.

We must protect our wounded!
Of course.

Class Overview: Ninja, Shrine Maiden, and Songstress

Ninja

Pair-up Bonus: +1 SKL/MOV, +3 SPD
Weapon rank: Hidden Tools (B)
Skills: (lvl 1) Locktouch-User can open doors and chests without requiring keys
(lvl 10) Poison Strike-When user triggers the battle, the enemy’s HP is reduced by 20% after the battle

Ninja's do one thing well, and that is to make life miserable for the enemy. If debuffing stats wasn't enough, Poison Strike makes sure even the most stout defenses falter eventually.

The pair-up bonus is great, as it gives high SPD which anyone wants and +1 movement, which only one other Hoshidan class gives.

Shrine Maiden

Pair-up Bonus: +2 MAG/LCK/RES
Weapon rank: Staves (B)
Skills: (lvl 1): Miracle-Luck% chance of leaving the user with 1 HP when they have 2 or more HP
(lvl 10): Rally Luck-Luck +8 to all allies within a 2 tile radius for one Turn when the “Rally” command is used

Listen, I'm gonna be honest. Shrine Maiden outside of being in a game where 2 range heal staves are sold, are mediocre to bad as a unit. Both skills are meh, and the pair-up bonus is sub-par considering what other classes give.

Songstress

Pair-up Bonus: +2 SKL/SPD, +4 LCK
Weapon rank: Lances (C)
Skills: (lvl 1) Luck +4
(lvl 10) Inspiring Song-SKL, SPD and LK +3 for one Turn for the unit who receives the user’s song
(lvl 25) Voice of Peace-Enemies within a 2 tile radius deal 2 less physical damage
(lvl 35) Foreign Princess- Enemies within a 2 tile radius deal 2 less damage and receive 2 extra damage

At least Fate isn't pretending Azura is aspiring to wield high tier lances. A Dancer can have no skills and still be one of the best units, but Songstress does give small benefits like buffing a unit and keeping damage reduced around her protectors.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
I guess it's worth noting that Foreign Princess only works in battles that take place in a MyCastle, meaning, it doesn't work for 98% of the game. They somehow managed to take a skill that is already fairly useless for a Dancer to have, and make almost completely useless, and made it incredibly confusing as to its exact mechanics on top of that. It's also rather strange that Voice of Peace only works on Physical damage, as if it would be too broken to just be both types. But she doesn't need either, Inspiring Song is plenty.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

ohmygorgon posted:

I guess it's worth noting that Foreign Princess only works in battles that take place in a MyCastle, meaning, it doesn't work for 98% of the game.

Why is this a thing :psyduck:

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
A negative for the presentation in Fates is the map screen. I personally find it just too bland. The landscape doesn't pop out in any way, the colours blend together, and the landmarks don't really standout.

A positive however, is how they expand on Awakening's presentation. We get way more 3D Models of important locals, more detailed images and CG Artwork shots, and you start to see cutscene battles using the combat models alot more. The shot we saw of Fort Jinya and the screenshot of the infirmary show this. It's really interesting how they used the limited assets they have to convey more information than you think they'd allow, and how they evolved it over the series.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ohmygorgon posted:

I guess it's worth noting that Foreign Princess only works in battles that take place in a MyCastle, meaning, it doesn't work for 98% of the game. They somehow managed to take a skill that is already fairly useless for a Dancer to have, and make almost completely useless, and made it incredibly confusing as to its exact mechanics on top of that. It's also rather strange that Voice of Peace only works on Physical damage, as if it would be too broken to just be both types. But she doesn't need either, Inspiring Song is plenty.

Incorrect. The translation is a bit wonky, but Foreign Princess affects all enemies.

Also might not be the worst idea to include growth rates for classes, especially considering there's reclassing in this game. Also worth noting innate bonuses some classes have (for example, Swordmasters get +10 to crit).

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lunethex posted:

Why is this a thing :psyduck:
Oh, it gets better.

A future character's personal skill is specifically relegated to My Castle battles. As in, the character might as well not have a personal skill at all.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

ApplesandOranges posted:

Incorrect. The translation is a bit wonky, but Foreign Princess affects all enemies.

I literally just tested it before posting to make sure it was accurate. Foreign Army refers to enemies that appear in Mulitplayer MyCastle battles (whether it be AI or human versions of another player's army).

ohmygorgon fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 21, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

AradoBalanga posted:

Oh, it gets better.

A future character's personal skill is specifically relegated to My Castle battles. As in, the character might as well not have a personal skill at all.

Yeah, to me, it seems like the child character's PS's are either really good (Selkie's passive AOE damage just by existing, Shigure's healing Rallies, Sophie's passive Defense debuffs) or really unusable (Nina's only works next to a male-male pair, Dwyer, which you mentioned, Velouria's Luck% healing).

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
Oh my goodness, I never noticed Azura's pigeon toe before and NOW I CAN'T UNSEE IT. :mad:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Part 2

Here's Fort Jinya looks like in battle. Annoying enough, Hana and Subaki way in the back and can't be moved in preparation.

PSkill: Perfectionist-When user’s HP is at maximum, Hit rate and Avoid +15

The first flyer for the team, Subaki has some decent bulk thanks to his base+Iron Naginata. However, no amount of bulk will help if a bow is nearby.

PSkill: Fearsome Blow-When user triggers the battle and defeats an enemy, enemies adjacent to the user have their HP reduced by 20%

I don't like Hana. She's a Myrmidon taken to the nth degree, except this isn't the GBA games where dodging is reliable. Super low defenses no thanks to Katana decreases. The Personal Skill is also a blank for the most part, since that basically requires her to charge into a mob which is never a good idea for anyone, let alone her.

This is like the first time they didn't reveal the name already.

Who's asking?
Yes, that's the voice I remember. It IS really you!
Please, drop the act. We don't know each other.
You honestly don't remember? It's me, Silas! We were best friends as children.
I don't remember much, I'm afraid.

I promise that I am telling the truth. However, it seems we are destined to clash swords regardless of our past...

Oookay, Imma just have Kaze open the chest at the start. Got a Seraph Robe which is cool, because 90% of our party is fragile as hell.

Corrin's going to advance and open up a Dragon Vein to make a healing pool. The pair-up enemy won't move an inch no matter what, so there's some safety.

Rinkah gets the first kill of the map, thanks to Felicia weakening the Fighter. This'll be a common strategy because grunts in Fate are somewhat bulkier and faster, which makes it harder to kill in one turn. Plus, offense is severely downgraded because of the nerf to pair-ups.

For your sake, it'd better not happen again.

Corrin is super tough in dragon mode to the point that he can honestly solo the map. Of course, the problem is that he's currently earning small EXP despite his skills.

Felicia is oddly very tanky today as well. She goes to lvl 6, increasing MAG/SPD/LCK/RES.

The next few turns is Rinkah beasting while being boosted by Subaki's +SPD and wrecking the mob gathered.

The bottom enemies are a lot tougher, that even Rinkah is taking some big damage.

But that helps a bunch.

This situation is by far the biggest difference in how to approach enemies that are paired-up. Essentially wasting a turn and hoping not to take too much counterattack to waste their guard meter is annoying, especially on maps with a time limit.

Behold, Hana's personal skill

...Yeah. It's real bad. You have Ninjas for Poison Strike effects, just stick to that.

Kaze's butt is glowing

It's super effective?

Whatever works, I guess

jeez christ

WHY DO YOU START AT LEVEL 4

*Many battles later*

Everything but SPD and RES. Sad day when Felicia has more HP than mighty fire tribe clubber.

I can't believe Subaki/Hana was even a contest. For heavens sake, he's even beating axe users better than her.

So he has officially 1 point of MAG now

Sakuura hasn't actually done much healing, I realized.

Cleaning up the middle and opening that chest before taking care of Silas.

I haven't shown it, but I got 10k extra gold from enemy drops. Also, Armorslayer is nice for now since I don't have a Mage currently.

So these three Cavs have been hanging around doing nothing until I kill all the other troops first.

Well, Silas is no slouch I guess.

Uh, handicap for Hana?

Nerf Corrin

I never imagined that we'd reunite under these circumstances. I became a knight in the hope of seeing you again, but...
Silas...I simply don't remember my past.

How...what? Did Garon's mind wipe affect in general your ability to remember? This sub-plot seems poorly thought out.

That's OK. You can still come back to Nohr with me. It's not too late!
I'm afraid you're wrong. I'm way beyond the point of no return.

Corrin didn't even gain a level. He's way too ahead of the rest of the team.

Units Joined

Subaki

Class sets: Starts as Sky Knight, Samurai
PSkill: Perfectionist-When user’s HP is at maximum, Hit rate and Avoid +15

Growth Rates
HP: 55
STR: 40
MAG: 20
SKL: 60
SPD: 35
LCK: 45
DEF: 45
RES: 25

Subaki is...confusing. He has sub-par 50% growths in everything but SKL and HP, and really bad in STR and SPD. The only thing saving him is that Sky Knight gives Darting Blow which will keep him sorta relevant but jeez, he is poor.

Hana

Class sets: Starts as Samurai, Shrine Maiden
PSkill: Fearsome Blow-When user triggers the battle and defeats an enemy, enemies adjacent to the user have their HP reduced by 20%

Growth Rates
HP: 35
STR: 65
MAG: 10
SKL: 60
SPD: 75
LCK: 40
DEF: 20
RES: 40

Good lord, when your glass cannon ability is comparable to Azura, you're in big trouble. And unlike Azura who can safely gain EXP whenever, she has to actually kill and survive. Sakura has some terrible bodyguards.

Tae fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 22, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hana + Killing Edge = PWNAGE

Seriously, that Skill growth though.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
One of the things I can't stand about Birthright is just how many absolutely lousy characters they dump on you in the beginning. I still think Hana is the best combat character we have so far (obvious exception to Corrin), and that says a lot

e: I don't think you mentioned it, but if you dick around long enough, an outlaw will come and swipe that armorslayer. The time limit is very lax, though, and even if he does grab it, you have more time still to punch him in the face before he absconds with it.

inthesto fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

inthesto posted:

One of the things I can't stand about Birthright is just how many absolutely lousy characters they dump on you in the beginning. I still think Hana is the best combat character we have so far (obvious exception to Corrin), and that says a lot

I mean, her only competition is basically Rinkah, Felicia, and Kaze and two of them are hidden tool users which automatically put them high up there.

Mini-spoiler alert, we're gaining 3 party members shortly and all of them are better than Hana.

• Locked thread