Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Emperordaein posted:

Taro Yoko should have written Conquest. He would have fixed alot of issues with it. I'm only half joking with that.

I imagine a Taro Yoko penned Fire Emblem would be like Genealogy but even more wacked out and I would give my left tit to see such a thing become reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I forget if you mentioned this, but in Fates enemies that have weapons that are effective against the unit you're moving have a red exclamation point above their heads. It's really, really nice and I miss this feature playing other Fire Emblem games.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Surprised that you didn't mentioned the removal of the whole face petting mini-game.

Honestly, it's pretty amusing to me since it's so obvious that something cut. Not that I loving wanted that mini-game, but the way they went about taking it out was pretty lazy.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I've done solo class (ish, I would allow for both of the promotional classes, just so long as the skills used were only native to the class) challenges in Birthright, a Ninja and a Spear Fighter one, and Subaki ended up as being playable in both of them. And in both, he was honestly one of my better units. He was always reliably tanky, and while no one really cares about skill, his high skill meant he was particularly crit-happy.

(I also had Rinkah for both and she was garbage every time.)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Yeah, I noticed the growth rate you gave for Subaki's defenses is wrong. It's 45, not 30.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 22, 2017

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Oh, and does it bother any one else that Saizo's magic growth is really high for a non-mage character... and he has no way to really use it barring marrying a mage. I mean, he's got ONE hidden weapon, and that's it. I mean, mages are pretty bad in this game in general (which breaks my little heart...) but Saizo's base magic growth is on par or even better than a lot of mages in the game.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Yeah, there really is no reason to use Mozu as anything but an archer. But holy is she an amazing archer. At 20/20, she's probably the best if you just look at the stats, but Takumi still has the Fujin Yumi advantage. Still, you can just field both, since they're both good and archers are quite good in this game in general. The only real downside is that archer skills really aren't that hot, but Mozu's Villager class line has good skills in it, so she can do a quick detour to get those.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

CptWedgie posted:

Of course, all this is irrelevant on Conquest, where not only can you not do Challenges, but you can't get Raider Katana/Naginata/Yumi OR Sidelong Yumi. But then we're talking about Birthright right now.

Are you saying that the MyCastle won't give you these weapons on Conquest? Because they totally will.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Drop Felicia and give every single stat-up item to Mozu. Forever.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I've never had a Hinoka not turn out amazing. Maybe I'm just biased toward Pegasus Knights, but she's a beast. Add to the fact she has an amazing personal skill and a drat good alt class, she's honestly one of my favorite royal siblings, despite the lack of personal weapon.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Psst, his skill growth is actually 40, 30 base + 10 from diviner.

Hayato is much better than Orochi by virtue of having a speed growth, although his base magic growth is slightly lower than Saizo (what the hell Fates.) And he gets access to one of the better classes in Fates, the oni savage line, which not a lot of characters get and the one that starts in it SUCKS.

Actually, lemme check.

Hayato only have five less defensive growth than Rinkah, his speed and res are the same, his strength growth is slightly higher, and he's got MUCH better growth in everything else. He of course comes in a much worse level and worse base stats, but it's early enough that it doesn't matter that much (and Rinkah's base stats are pretty bad anyway.) He's a better oni savage than her. What the hell Fates.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 25, 2017

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

He's an obnoxious prat.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I never, ever used Hinata. Not even enough to see if he's worth the investment. I guess by this time you've already starting to form your team, and Hinata just does not bring anything to the table. Subaki at least is in a good class. (Of course, I'm apparently in the minority that thinks Hana's a good unit, so.)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This is an obnoxious loving map, but it's Birthright map that can occasionally maybe be challenging, so I guess.... no I still hate it.

(I want to say it was this map that my Spear Fighter only challenge really started to run into problems.)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

God, the whole "Oh no Takumi's been possessed- oh wait he's fine two seconds later" is so clunky and badly done. It gives the impression of "why is this even here?" Yes I'm aware it's foreshadowing, but it's not done any better then, either.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Yeah, I echo the sentiment that Kagero is my go-to ninja. There's a lot of glass cannons in Birthright already, but Kagero kinda stands out by being in the ninja class, which is a pretty good class to be a glass cannon in. Kaze's selling points are speed and res, which are pretty bad selling points in most Fire Emblem games anyway, and is especially bad in Birthright since you're not lacking in either. Saizo, weirdly, is just too slow, at least for a ninja. Which is sad, since he really does have good growths, but mediocre speed on a ninja is not a good thing. (On my ninja-only run of Birthright he was a MONSTER early on, but he fell off towards the end, although he was still in my endgame party. He was also the only one who died. Oops.)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

It is pretty annoying that avatarsexuals in this game cannot support with anyone just the main character, with one exception. You'd think a character like Reina might be fun to bounce off someone else other than our blank state character.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

You know, as over-used as that drat "grey waves" song is, that cutscene really does look nice. If you can say nothing else about them, the 3DS games' cutscenes all look really, really nice.

Also, this map coming up is one of the few Birthright maps that can actually get somewhat difficult, depending on who you're using and how cheap you want to be. At least on Hard and above; it's still pathetic on Normal.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I was never super into Kaden? I think because his niche is a cavalier killer, but he's specced as a mage killer. If you want a cav dead Oboro with a beastkiller is usually your best idea.

Or perhaps he was just kind of a let-down compared to Keaton.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Camilla is so awful in every conceivable way.

She's a pretty effective showcase of everything wrong with how video games portray women.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Endorph posted:

you could beat birthright with nothing but captured generics (I should know, I've done it)

Can we vote on Tae to do this?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Tae posted:

The gimmick Dragon Veins for this mission is doing 99 damage to a certain area. It's supposed to incentivize you to bait enemies into an area and spring them but I don't really have trouble killing units.

This is one of my big problems with Birthright is the vast majority of the Dragon Veins on these maps just... aren't worth using. Either too much of a hassle or the map is too easy anyway. Which is too bad since Conquest actually gets pretty good mileage out of the Dragon Vein gimmick, but none of the other versions do.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Make. Mozu. An. Archer.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

The chapter coming is another one that's genuinely kind of tricky (at least I've always found it so), at least on Hard on above. Still piss-easy on Normal. It's one of the few where your army's weaknesses, namely low defense and lack of mobility, really hampers you.

Of course, shortly after this the game's difficulty drops like a stone and never really recovers.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Well it used to be.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Also, based on my rather limited usage of her, she's just not that good. Her bases are somewhat low and she falls behind once your units catch up. Of course, this is based on my all-ninja run, so perhaps that's not the usual experience.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Solo it with Oboro.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

blizzardvizard posted:

Orochi :gonk:

8 SPD at level 18 is beyond horrendous.

e: wow, she literally only gained 1 point of speed since she joined.

Running the math.. yeah she has actually been screwed by the RNG a bit. Her average speed gain over 13 levels is 3.9. Which, uh, is still not great.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I actually kind of forgot about this stupid loving scene. There's is no goddamn way you can know this is coming unless you had it spoiled for you. Well, maybe if you had him married off by this point but noticed you couldn't access his paralogue. It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility to have A-ranked by now just out of happenstance, but it's also entirely likely that you haven't, even if you have been using him a lot. And it's not even like there's much of a dramatic pay-off for it either. He's just not that important of a character to get that attached to. Maybe if you played Conquest first? Then again, I did play Conquest first, and I married him on that file, and I still don't give a poo poo about Kaze.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I forget are Dark Fliers female only in this game? If not, Hayato as a Dark Flier.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Marry Rinkah.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I didn't even know those two spawned in until I looked it up. I just don't get why they spawn in so late, or why they're so many reinforcements after turn 8. Either you're going to breeze through the map, because it's very small and easy, and you'll never see this event OR if you're having trouble (say if you're doing a solo class run and you're doing this map WAY too early) then the reinforcement spam is a massive dick move.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I have a hard time finding a good niche for Kana, mainly because their growths are almost too balanced. Although depending on how you built your Corrin and who you married, Kana often makes a better Dragonstone user.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

At least in this game the kids can be completely ignored; it is theoretically possible to beat the game and not even know the mechanic is in the game. (You may call bullshit, but I've spoken with a guy that was genuinely surprised that there were more child characters than just Lucina and Morgan.)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

theshim posted:

Or they married female Robin and Chrom?

Just a thought.

Yeah, he did.

Hey, when I first played Awakening, I spend an embarrassing amount of time trying to hook Tharja and Chrom up before realizing it wasn't possible. Sometimes people are just kinda dim :)

Also, I have to question why this chapter is even in the game. It honestly feels like it was supposed to be an earlier chapter, but they felt like your final showdown with Leo should be later on and didn't bother to make the chapter harder to compensate. You can sleepwalk through it on Lunatic.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Tae posted:

Why are you being mysterious? Why can't you just come out with it?

Copy-paste from now until the end of this LP.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

The more I think about it, I'm not really sure why the Offspring Seal exists, rather than... just having child characters scale past promotion. Does anyone forgo using the Offspring Seal? It's especially annoying on certain chapters. Have fun trying to recruit Shiro if you wait too long.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

And much like his dad, he has an absurdly high magic growth (his default is slightly higher than Saizo's.) Meaning that Sakura and even Orochi (if you don't mind the speed drop) aren't bad choices for his mom, if you wanna push him in a more mage-y position.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Once again (this is, what 4 chapters in a row) we have a chapter that really doesn't belong in the mid-late game.

Birthright has some of the most borked balance of any Fire Emblem game. And yes, I'm counting 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Actually, there is one interesting thing in this map in that the Faceless CAN actually steal the treasure (and run off with it) which I believe is the only time that ever happens in Fates.

• Locked thread