Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Honestly, it's pretty hard to me to pair Sakura with anyone but Hayato because that's one of the few pairings for her that isn't uncomfortable as hell (also it makes Hayato's kid pretty good.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

And Kaze's treatment of Midori is nowhere near worst parenting we'll see from our protagonists in this game.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Ballista-classic at least can't counter you at close range.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Tae posted:

Your...who?
Hello, I'm your new sister.
Um, isn't that also your sist-
HI I'M PAPA'S GIRL
...Brother, what did you do

Uh, her.
Yo.
:sigh:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I would say it's a shame that the two best mothers get passed up but ya know good for them

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Kay Kessler posted:

With the right parent Kiragi can still easily kill the lot of them.

Probably not with a Hana mom though.

Honestly, Kiragi with Hana as a mom is pretty good. She'll give him a boost to his strength and speed, and doesn't hurt his skill, and these are pretty much the only stats that really matter for an archer.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Ah, so it was a good idea that I took the witch every time. Good to know.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Endorph posted:

you you don't use yukimura for his stats, you use yukimura because he's voiced by the colonel from metal gear solid

And now, the most obvious joke I could make

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Oh no Lilith I guess I should care about that

I always skip the cutscenes, and I never remember when Lilith kicks it, so I'm always a little surprised when I head back to the castle and it's like "wait, where's Lilith- oh, right. She's dead."

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I still have no idea what the point of that "reveal" with Takumi was, especially since they decide to have play out in the worst way possible. Just... a still screen. I honestly do think that the structure of Fire Emblem often doesn't easily allow for good stories, but you can see they can do better in this game, but... didn't. Probably money or time reasons, I guess, but still it is spectacularly lazy.

Okay, I guess it's here because of Conquest, and oddly enough that's one plot point Conquest does do better. Still. Why have the Takumi possession in Birthright. Just remove it , guys. We would have lost nothing.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

For as clunky as the writing is here, this here is pretty much the only dramatic beat in Fates that works, like, at all.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I honestly find a non-one turn kill to be funnier, since I have to imagine the two just staring at each other in what has to be the most awkward moment in anyone's life.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

It annoys me because it feels like there's a half-way decent character here. Most Camus characters are pretty dumb when you get down to it, but considering that Xander is also bond by family makes his refusal to join you a bit more meaningful. Okay, it would if Garon wasn't so cartoonishly, obviously evil that you have no idea why any sane indivual wouldn't jump ship when given the first opportunity.

I think if the writers got their poo poo together and realized that, yeah, he does act irrationally a lot of time and made that, ya know, intentional Xander would have been a much better character but that might be getting ahead of ourselves here.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Jesus Kaze and his single digit luck

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Norric

Yeah, it's at this my eyes start glazing over trying to read the dialogue.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Despite his long absence Takumi still got the most kills good job

Also

Tae posted:

Why are you being mysterious? Why can't you just come out with it?

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 19, 2017

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

The image cropping on this latest update is off. Did someone mention that and I missed it or....?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Arthur is fantastic, which makes me sad because I've never liked him as a unit. I generally prefer the fighter you get later, if I'm gonna use a fighter at all.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I know they changed Effie's name in the english release (from Elfie, I think), but I do wish they had to changed it to something that doesn't begin and end with an E, because I constantly get her name confused with Elise. Is it just me?

Yeah, gotta nth the consensus that Odin sucks (and his kid is excellent). Sadly he's one of the few characters who gets access to Samurai class, and theoretically with his growths he's better off as a samurai but a) he's still not good enough as a samurai to justify using a second seal on him and b) you'll need to baby him for a while if you switch and this is not a good point in the game to have to baby a character, especially since you're gonna also have to baby Mozu (unless you're one of those degenerates that doesn't use Mozu).

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I'd honestly Niles is better off than Setsuna in the late game, if only for the fact he can get staffs upon promoting (and, ya know, he's a thief). And his magic growth is nothing great, but it's enough to be a decent back-up staffbot. Utility is the name of Niles' game, after all.

And while Odin is a pretty steep downgrade from his Awakening self, his outfit is a straight upgrade.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Keep Mozu how could you even ask that question. Also bench Odin.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This is the game teaching you to HATE Lunge. It's annoying how good the AI is at using it.

I'm kind of surprised that y'all aren't going to be mean here and try to perma-bench Camilla immediately. (I do tend to bench here for the next few missions if only for the fact that I don't want her sniping experience. Except on Lunatic.)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This is the part where the narrative's refusal to make Corrin do anything even remotely morally ambiguous really starts to get on my nerves. Okay, I get they didn't want to make an "evil" path (but, really, they did), but this is going to be more the dark, morally grey one, so actually have your protagonist do morally grey things! I keep thinking of Radiant Dawn. I mean, yeah of people don't like Micaiah, but when the narrative wanted her to do some morally questionable things, she actually did morally questionable things. They didn't shy away from that!

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 28, 2017

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

People usually don't talk about this chapter, but I've found it one of the harder ones in the game. I mean, not as hard as chapter 10, but you're out your best healer and a time limit (that's a bit tighter than you'd think.)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

dscruffy1 posted:

Is it wrong that I'm more interested in what's going on with the Awakening characters than with the story of Fates?

Honestly, I was surprised how much more I liked Selena/Severa and Laslow/Inigo in this game. I didn't care about Inigo and I hated Severa in Awakening. Honestly, I fell like the writing for these three is surprisingly good for this game.

...putting aside the fact that the game never tells you WHY they're here outside of DLC.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Gunter is a pretty bad unit and I have no idea why they give you your Jagen in the middle of the game. Marry Corrine to him.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

For as memorable as this map is, it's a surprisingly easy one. I think the only time I even remotely had a problem with the time limit was on lunatic.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

At this point it becomes a contest: who's worse, Azura or Corrine?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Yeah, mages on Conquest can be pretty nasty, mainly on hard and above. Dread Fighter Kaze was one of my MVPs of my lunatic run.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Emperordaein posted:

Makes perfect sense. Given some of the Lunatic skills i've heard about, that difficulty on Conquest sounds like unending torture.

Inevitable End:suicide:

Honestly, I found Conquest lunatic way more reasonable than Awakening lunatic. If nothing else, the early game of Conquest lunatic is nowhere near as awful. (I never did get through Awakening Lunatic, but I did get past the early game. I never really had fun with it, though.)

Although, yeah, holy poo poo Inevitable End. Thankfully that skills only on two maps, but man. Chapter 25 Conquest is probably easily the hardest map in the game.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Get Odin's daughter and make her the DLC class. Or use that item on Elise.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I think I did, I seem to remember that I did try to Dragon Vein, but honestly the money total seemed kinda low and the experience more valuable. Although, honestly, in retrospect, I usually end up maxing my characters out by the end of Conquest anyway, so the money is better.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

And thus, we gain the only mage in this game that's really worth anything, other than post-promotion Elise and Hayato's kid.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Glazius posted:

...is it weird that we've oopsed our way into so many fights to the death that actually having somebody come out and say it is kind of refreshing?

Normally, I really hate the trope of "now I shall test you" as an excuse for action or gameplay, but considering how stupid everything has been so far, yeah it's a vast improvement. Also, it is one of the better maps in the game, so that helps.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

dude789 posted:

While Ophelia appreciates a Witch reclass, the one character who by far benefits the most is Orochi. The increased speed gain makes her speed salvageable, and the extra magic makes her magic obscene. I've made her a Witch twice and it turns a normally mediocre unit into a contender for MVP both in Birthright and Revelations.

Unless you got the DLC map, honestly Hayato's kid is a better recipient of the Witches' Mark. I mean, you can have one pretty good unit, or you can have a goddamn monster.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

The thing, normally I would say that having both our sides being more morally complex is certain a good thing, but it's a bit much to ask for in jrpg stories. Even the Fire Emblem games lauded as "complex" are pretty black and white, really. Problem is that the very premise of this game requires at least a modicum of moral complexity for it to make any sense whatsoever.

I wonder if you could still get a decent plot by keeping Nohr as obviously cartoonishly evil.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I have actually run out time and had Forrest in danger on Lunatic. I ended up just using an Entrap. (Yeah, wasteful, but honestly I don't think I ever used Entrap for any other part of that playthrough.)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

LEGO Genetics posted:

It's chapter 23 Conquest. You have no choice but to capture Rallyman even though we aren't on Lunatic difficulty.

Agreed. It's time for the real hero of Fates to appear

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Junpei posted:

The translators didn't write the basic plot for Fates, IntSys did. Sure, I can say that Echoes has a better overall translation than Fates, but I'd rather have a good plot that was translated sub-parly rather than an excellently translated plot that sucked.

I mean, you can definitely tell that the original script of Echoes is better than Fates even in translation (I mean, unless the translation team completely rewrote Echoes which is a bit unlikely nowadays) But JRPGs are carried more by charm and character than plot, so I'd argue that the better translation is a bit more important. Besides a good plot would get mangled by a bad translator anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Oh oh! This map! Do we get to talk about what this map does on lunatic? Holy poo poo this is the worst map on lunatic, bar none, and anyone who's played Conquest on lunatic probably agrees with me.

• Locked thread