Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
On my first run, a normal casual run, my Corrin really didn't need the help. I went a little crazy getting skills from other castles so she had swordbreaker, and she was a ninja. Ryoma was getting around a sub 40 (if I'm recalling correctly, and that's probably a generous estimate) hit rate on her. Also I don't think he has resist status on normal.

And she had a raider weapon too, because I remember he was naked by the end of the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Heaven Spacey posted:

I'm pretty sure he also has a Hexing Rod on lunatic. :v:

Of course, after the previous chapter, this is going to seem perfectly reasonable.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Shei-kun posted:

I can't believe I never paid attention to the writing when I was playing.

Somehow the sheer stupidity of this "reveal" never registered in my mind.

I made it to Chapter 26 in Revelations and I still hadn't really let it sink in just how stupid it is.

Your eyes just kind glaze over after a while, I guess. I mean, I definitely picked up the plot was stupid in my way too many playthroughs of this game, but it wasn't until looking at the script more closely here that I'm realizing how dumb it is.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I kind of think that the writers assume a lot more intrinsic investment in Takumi than you do. I mean, I played Conquest first and thus I didn't really have attachment to this character. Corrinne doesn't know Takumi, not really. I mean, the idea that he's a corpse puppet is sad, I guess... but if you don't already care about Takumi it's like "okay whatever."

They really did assume you played Birthright first, didn't they?

EDIT: Although, for all intents and purposes, I do think that Conquest makes better use of the Takumi possession plot-point than Birthright did, if only because it comes to SOMETHING

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 13, 2017

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Inferno-sama posted:

Okay, see, I'm one of those guys who, even if the gameplay isn't all that good, I can still have fun if it's a good story... and Fates is really making me regret getting everything for it.

I dunno why everyone is so down on Conquest's maps in this thread; I enjoyed the hell out of Conquest as a game. (Well, except on lunatic, although I'd still rather play Conquest lunatic than Awakening Lunatic)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Inferno-sama posted:

Out! Of! Nowhere! The entire existence of a third kingdom comes virtually out of nowhere, save for My Castle, which is completely ignored in the story! The first chapter of the true route, which requires you to complete the other two routes, just dumps on a whole lot of exposition about stuff you didn't even know, even when you could've been told about it. I just... How did I not notice this when I was playing the game? How has this game managed to keep surprising me with more dumb, even when it's a scene I've already seen several times? ...How could I buy all the DLC for this game? I'm not talking getting both Birthright and Conquest, the shop was selling a copy that had a code containing the other route. I mean, ALL the DLC, including Revelations. I spent so much money on a game where the three routes are: Bland and reeking of favouritism; offensively stupid and just a big advertisement for; one big plot dump out of nowhere that massively expands on a few sentences sprinkled throughout the previous two routes and contains multiple moments that I will touch on as we go and, from the looks of things, some things I didn't even notice. I'm angry, yeah, but I'm also really disappointed.

Speaking as someone who also got tricked into buying all the other routes (although not any other DLC) I feel this. I dunno, I started with Conquest and kept hearing how Birthright was the better story (which it... technically is) so I guess I kept hoping that MAYBE this poo poo was going to come together at some point.

Honestly, there are other Fire Emblems with worse game design, but Revelation is still probably my least favorite, and I'm a pretty easy lay for strategy rpgs.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

systemchronos posted:

They don't even wait for the revelations, eh ?

With that said, do you guys think it's still worth it to get Revelations if I just want to play using Nohrian characters ? I had wanted to grab all three for ~complete story~, but this LP made me rethink that decisions. gently caress the story

Nope. Get Conquest if you wanna play with the Nohrian characters. (Oh, and the LP doesn't really go into it, but there's an online function where you can recruit characters from other players so you can technically get Xander into your Birthright game if you reaaally wanted to, although he won't support obviously.)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I just have no idea why they'd make it a "fog of war" map that... isn't. I mean, I hate fog of war (especially Fire Emblem fog of war) like any rational person, but what the hell was the point of that? If you're gonna make a fog of war map make a fog of war map.

I've heard people call this map hard, and... how? I mean, I didn't play this on lunatic, just hard, but still... it takes forever so if you gently caress up on classic you've wasted a good chunk of time. That's about it.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Again, I actually liked this map in Conquest, but what's the damned point of doing it again, but more boring this time? All three routs have heavy amounts of recycling, which would be less egregious if I, ya know, didn't have to pay for each route (and more DLC on top of that if I wanted to understand the whole plot.)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Now that I think about it, in practice it's basically just the "fog of war" from the previous map, just a aesthetic difference.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Right, the Takumi possession thing never happens in this route. Kinda weird that they rehash so much needless poo poo but that gets a pass. At least, I think it does. Revelation is a bit of a blur.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Endorph posted:

I'm not a big fan of Kamui getting changed to Corrin because Ainu culture is cool and there is a read on Valla that you can make with that comparison in mind that is almost impossible to track without Kamui's name pushing you in that direction.

Although the change does mean they didn't have to rename the Valentia character, so points for inadvertently avoiding that? (But on the other hand, Leo/Leon, so...)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

It's a touch frustrating that the translators didn't know that her horse is clearly meant to be "Abel" but then again, Fates.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This loving paralouge is loving painful, depending on how long you wait to get to it. When I did my ninja-only run, the only way I could manage to get to Shiro in time was to use the boots on Takumi.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

It doesn't help that Shiro's AI is perfectly willing to run off and get killed

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Like his dad, I never used Hisame. Hisame really suffers from the fact that you really, really do not need another samurai (especially since any other samurai is directly competing against Ryoma.) There's plenty of things you can do to make him good, but it feels like that effort is best spend elsewhere.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I doubt it was "cut" rather that the tone of the original dialogue would have taken a bit of care to get across well, and with this translation that wasn't gonna happen.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

The whole thing about how you HAVE to kill the enemy kid units is so loving confusing, especially if you've come from any other fire emblem game. First time I played this I thought you lost her if you killed her, so I managed to trap her in the topmost room with the treasure, with Effie (who was her mother) blocking off her exit. If nothing else, it made for a pretty funny mental image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Man I forgot how much I hate Revelation.

• Locked thread