Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
So I spent the past two weeks binging on this thread and I'm finally caught up. I came in knowing the story was gonna be bad, so I was just here to witness the slow-mo train crash, and BOY did this thread deliver way beyond my wildest expectations. I literally laughed out loud at the Izana death scene.

Sure, the whole marriage/children system doesn't make any story sense if you put half a second of thought into it, but I, for one, enjoyed witnessing the rampage of the bloodthirsty adorable murderchildren. I think it says something for the writing when I found the kids more likable than the majority of the parent generation. I absolutely would not mind at all if we benched all the parents in favor of a kid-only Revelations playthrough.

Re: Zombie Takumi -- way to take the wind out of the sails for the entire buildup to the Garon climax. I also agree that the story would've been stronger if he hadn't been possessed/zombified. I get that IntSys wanted to protect the precious feelings of those who liked Takumi's character, but I think they could've make him a MORE sympathetic and tragic (and more likable) character without all the possession nonsense. They could've written him as a dude who placed his entire heart in his country/family (beneath that ~cold exterior~ of his that people seem to adore), who has lost everything and is sad and broken and is now lashing at you in desperation or something. Basically, a guilty emotional moment to show that your decisions have consequences despite your best intentions -- the Conquest counterpart to the Elise/Xander scene, if you will.

But that's probably asking too much of their writing staff.

As for the Kaze death in Birthright, I actually wonder if it worked the other way around in earlier versions of the game (i.e., he dies if you do have A support with him). IIRC his A support is where he pledges his loyalty and becomes your retainer. It actually makes more storyline sense where he pledges to put his own life before yours, and then when that chasm thing happens, he fulfills his duty. From a gameplay perspective, though, that's pretty awful, as it's essentially punishing players for investing in support levels -- something you'd otherwise want to encourage players to do. But instead of doing the easier and more sensible thing of just removing the scene completely, they still somehow forced it in and made everything for the worse.

facepalmolive fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah I guess what it boils down to was 'I wish that Anankos storyline didn't exist' which I think we can all agree with. I do think Takumi selling his soul to make him more powerful would make a lot more sense (if not cliched) from a story perspective, but they're not gonna let that happen to perfect pure-hearted not-Japan. Makes him more of a selfish of a bad guy (which let's face it, he is) because he'd be making a conscious decision to do so.

I still think he's a terrible final boss, though. You want to build up your final boss to be badass and somewhat threatening, not some broody teenager pineapple boy. Push that stupid possession arc if you want, but at least fight him before Garon, cripes.

It's also mind-boggling that the 'good ending' is the most confusing and nonsensical route. Like, that is the one storyline you want to make the most epic/compelling/awesome and make sure you don't get wrong.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

:eyepop:

Screw you haters, got a chuckle out of me.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Tae posted:

H-hey...! Come back here! Am I really...y-younger?

Rangpur posted:

^^^^^^^^

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Speaking of which, I was surprised the other day to see Jakob in Fire Emblem Heroes but not, say, Kaze. Then I remembered the various Japanese popularity polls and, to my complete surprise, he was THE next most popular character after the usual suspects (Takumi/Leo/Xander/Elise/FCorrin) on multiple polls. From what I've seen so far, his character seems dry as cardboard and certainly not more interesting of a personality than, say, Silas. Yet he's beating out MCorrin and Ryoma -- which, while being faint praise, is still much higher than Jakob's cardboard-level supports deserve.

Was he given more and better characterization in the Japanese version that got cut or something? Why's he so popular there? His post-combat butler bow animation is pretty incredible, though.

facepalmolive fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 9, 2017

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Endorph posted:

The localization did really downplay elements of his characterization. In English when he's a dick to other people he still sounds the same for the most part, but in Japanese when he starts being a dick to people he's a total thug and completely drops all pretense of being polite in any aspect of his language, which is funny and memorable. And the localization cut out all of his best lines.

Ok yeah, why did they cut that out? That's a stupid dumb gimmick, but it's a hilarious dumb gimmick. Come to think of it, his FEH portrait looked a bit thuggish as well.

I was mostly thinking him in contrast with Silas, who is also loyal to Corrin and only Corrin. He also did have moments of suspicion towards others (e.g. in his support with Azura I think?), but he's still generally a good guy. He didn't place all that highly on the popularity polls, which would've been closer to what I'd expected for him and Jakob (given what we've seen from his English dialog).

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Uh, Beruka maybe?

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah. Both the support conversations and Iggy himself are just so endearing. :3: Never thought it'd be coming out of Beruka/Benny, out of all people.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
I thought Silas was a generally nice dude? I thought he was the sweet childhood friend + honorable knight trope where he'd go out of his way helping the weak, etc. -- unless it was directly at odds with Corrin. Whereas Jakob is a dick to everyone who's not in the royal family.

The Niles-Elise support was... surprisingly not skeevy. Good job Niles.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Melomane Mallet posted:

The English support cut some of Niles' innuendo, like where he complements Elise on her body in the C support.

:gonk:

I take back everything.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
That definitely looks like undead Mikoto, all right. So is this Valla place a realm of the dead or something, where everyone ends up after they die (and that's why it's a 'secret' realm -- only the dead can know/speak of it, hence the curse)? Or does Anankos always just *happen* to get his grubby paws on pretty much everyone to re-raise as undead? Is this some crap where Anankos and Vallites aren't 'truly' bad -- they seem antagonistic to the living (such as purple hood man killing Mikoto), but there's some ~true purpose~ behind what they're doing which you'd only understand once you've passed on?

Anthony logic: I've spent the majority of my short years plotting to run away from this horrible tyrant thing and finally succeed. Now you want me to help you take you back to him, where I'm fully convinced you can't defeat him, so I'll at *best* end up enslaved again. Yeah, sure I'll help you!

'Get back to your trauma' is pretty accurate. Corrine is truly a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Oh. Or Anthony's just evil. Is Hinoka supposed to be blushing there?

Leo should've just let Takumi die if they never had their shogi soup bro-out session. But I suspect he's too plot important and not nearly random enough (re: Kaze/Izana/Scarlet) for the game to kill off.

And thank you Tae for entertaining my dreams of the bloody reign of angry murderchildren. I voted for kids by default, but are these crop of kids actually any good? If not, I don't mind changing my vote.

• Locked thread