Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think I did this map legit the first time, and every time since I've doped Corrin up on stat boosters and proceeded to ignore the entire map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Junpei posted:

...you're one of those people who likes FE5 Fog of War and the teleport tiles, aren't you.

Endorph and I are the resident FE5 fans in these forums and in all our "how we would improve it" circlejerks we always agree the teleport tiles either need to be removed or marked

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

LEGO Genetics posted:

Maniac in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn? Bullshit.
Merciless in Shadow Dragon? Bullshit.
Lunatic-Reverse in Mystery of the Emblem? Double Bullshit.
Lunatic+ in Awakening? Bullshit RNG that makes several early missions impossible to complete if enemy units roll the right forged weapons/enemy only skills.

I'm not a fan of difficulty where you have to rely on luck.

PoR Maniac and Lunatic+ are the only ones you listed that are super RNG though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

uh, what? Pretty much every FE protag except Marth at least makes a couple mistakes or has definable, quantifiable flaws. Not to say every other game is written perfectly but.

Roy is pretty garbage too but he's just red Marth so

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm replaying PoR right now and Ike is definitely a good character there

So basically the pattern I'm seeing is that well-written games have well-written main characters

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, the whole Conquest/Birthright design mentality sounds great in theory but in practice both are overturned, so one campaign is Awakening 2.0 for newcomers and the other one is All the Really Clever But Sadistic Parts of Thracia 776 And Hector Hard Mode. Which is kinda exhausting since, you know, even FE5 let you steal good poo poo and gave you Ced as an out in the endgame.

Conquest is only like 20% as clever as Thracia

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I believe every song in Awakening that plays during cutscenes (so, excluding map themes or w/e) are named after a line from the first scene it plays in

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Heaven Spacey posted:

The original FE3 didn't have boat maps? That's the one that SoV is a remake of, right?

It's a remake of FE2

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Heaven Spacey posted:

Ohh I thought Shadow Dragon was a remake of FE2, but I guess it's FE3 then?

FE1 (Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light) is Marth's first story.
FE2 (Gaiden) is Alm's story.
FE3 (Mystery of the Emblem) has two campaigns. The first is a remake of FE1, and the second is a sequel.
FE11 (Shadow Dragon) is a remake of FE1.
FE12 (New Mystery of the Emblem) is a remake of FE3's second campaign.
FE15 (Echoes: Shadows of Valentia) is a remake of FE2.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

they should have done the thing tearring saga does where there's a limited use staff that lets you save mid-battle

No that one's bad, don't do that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Jill in Path of Radiance is something that the game repeatedly warns you not to do, and if you do it you can just restart the chapter and not do that. It's nowhere near as stupid as Kaze

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Junpei posted:

Someone stick a fork in me, I'm done.

And the worst part is that I have officially lost all faith in the possibility of FE Switch being a good game because of Fates. Congrats, IS.

Echoes is good though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You'd have more of a point if the original wasn't a barebones NES plot with maybe a page or two of dialogue all added up. For all intents and purposes, the plot of Echoes was original

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The man called M posted:

How vital are Blade tomes for Horse Emblem? My horse team is the three on the Calvary Banner (Plus Kagero until I get a horse healer)

wrong thread, but blade tomes are the payoff for restricting yourself to only running cav units. Reinhardt and Xander aside, cavalry just aren't very good and the buffs only take them up to the same level as a buffed infantry unit--unless they have a blade tome, in which case they just loving explode

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I suspect that a better translation could have substituted a different old-person thing for him to like

But honestly I can't blame them for just doing the bare minimum to pick up their paycheck when this is the plot and writing they're given

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Velouria is basically incapable of not being queen shitwrecker and I've got to think she'll be even better with Effie as her mom

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Velouria is like the only kid I can routinely count on. All the others need specific combinations of mothers and join times and whatever but Velouria is just an uncontrollable murderbeast no matter what you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Weird poorly thought out gimmicks are practically synonymous with revelation

• Locked thread