Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
:siren: NOW ON REVELATION :siren:

What is Fire Emblem: Fates?

It's 3 Fire Emblem games revolving around a large core of characters, by playing on both sides before going into SUPER SECRET route that combines both sides together. It is a spiritual successor to Awakening via mechanics and cameos, but by and large it's a standalone story.

Whatcha doing here?
I'm not gonna be Mr. Tutorial on how to play a Fire Emblem game. I'm gonna assume you know the basics and came from the Awakening thread at some point. Anything I explain will go into what changed and was added to Fates. If you want to know what Resistance is, or what doubling means, this is the wrong place. Don't expect high effort.

So where do I go for this basic info?

http://lparchive.org/title/fire%20emblem

Here. You should probably read Awakening if you literally never read any of these and came here because of the mobile game or something.

So how's this gonna be structured?

I'll go Birthright, Conquest, then Revelation on Hard. I might change voting for party members on Conquest because that has no ability to level characters outside of story and it's difficult enough already going full-power.

So you're just going to shortcut everything?

Yes. There's another FE Fates thread that explains everything if you want that here

Also don't spoil things for future events, duh

BEFORE THE BRANCH
Prologue: Ties that Bind
Chapter 1: Nohr
Chapter 2: Gift of Ganglari
Chapter 3: Journey Begins A-B C
Chapter 4: Hoshido A-B-C
Chapter 5: Mother A-B-C

Birthright
Chapter 6: In the White Light A-B
MyCastle 6.5
Chapter 7: A Vow Upheld A-B-C
Paralogue 1
Chapter 8: Fierce Winds A-B-C
Chapter 9: Land of Gods A- B-C
Chapter 10: Ninja Village A-B-C
Chapter 11: To the Sea A-B-C
Chapter 12: Dark Reunion A-B-C
Chapter 13: Another Hope A-B-C
Armory MyCastle update
Chapter 14: Light Scatters A-B-C
Chapter 15: Wolfskin Peak A-B-C
Chapter 16: Pleasure Palace A-B-C
Xenologue: Before Awakening A-B
Chapter 17: Lost in the Ice A-B-C-D
Paralogue 2 A-B-C-D
Chapter 18: Leo A-B-C
Paralogue 3: Surprise Duet A-B-C-D
Chapter 19: Rainbow Sage A-B-C
Paralogue 9: Saizo vs. Saizo A-B-C
Chapter 20: Fort Dragonfall A-B
Paralogue 6: Herbal Remedy A-B-C
Chapter 21: Burning Falls A-B
Paralogue 12: Sweet Dreams A-B-C-D
Chapter 22: Hidden Capitol: A-B-C
Paralogue 8: A Great Hunt A-B-C
Chapter 23: Camilla A-B-C
Chapter 24: Tears of a Dragon A-B-C
Chapter 25: Traitor Revealed A-B-C
Chapter 26: Xander A-B-C
Chapter 27: King Garon A-B-C
Endgame: Dawn Breaks A-B-C

Conquest

Chapter 6: Embrace the Dark A-B
Chapter 7: A Dragon's Decree A-B-C
Chapter 8: A Cold Reception A-B-C
Paralogue 1 quickie
Chapter 9: Another Trial A-B-C
Chapter 10: Unhappy Reunion A-B-C
Chapter 11: Rainbow Sage A-B-C
Chapter 12: Bitter Intrigue A-B-C
Chapter 13: Uprising A-B-C-Mini-Update
Chapter 14: Voice of Paradise A-B-C
Chapter 15: The Black Pillar A-B-C
Chapter 16: Invasion A-B-C-D
Chapter 17: Den of Betrayal A-B-C
Chapter 18: Black and White A-B-C
Paralogue 19: Great Heroism A-B-C
Chapter 19: Kitsune Lair A-B-C
Paralogue 20: Ultimate Power A-B-C-D
Chapter 20: Winds of Change A-B-C
Paralogue 21: Bright Smile A-B-C
Chapter 21: Eternal Stairway A-B-C
Paralogue 16: Abducted A-B-C-D
Chapter 22: Sakura A-B-C
Chapter 23: Possessed A-B-C
Chapter 24: Hinoka A-B-C
Chapter 25: Ryoma A-B-C
Chapter 26: Treason A-B-C
Chapter 27: The Empty King A-B-C
Endgame: Night Breaks Through A-B-C

Revelation

Chapter 6: Into the Ground
Chapter 7: Unspeakable World A-B-C
Chapter 8: Traitor's Brand A-B-C
Chapter 9: Wanderer A-B
Chapter 10: Voice of a God A-B
Chapter 11: Mutual Enemies A-B
Chapter 12: Frozen Sea A-B-C
Chapter 13: A Lost Peace A-B-C
Chapter 14: Orders A-B-C
Chapter 15: Rainbow Sage A-B-C
Chapter 16: White Flames A-B
Chapter 17: Black Flames A-B-C
Chapter 18: Veiled Kingdom A-B-C
Paralogue 4: Fight or Flight A-B
Paralogue 5: Bold Approach A-B-C
Paralogue 7: Father and Liege A-B
Paralogue 10: Hunter and Prey A-B
Paralogue 11: A Long Grudge A-B
Paralogue 13: Truly Talented A-B
Paralogue 14: After the End A-B
Paralogue 15: Hidden Bravery A-B
Paralogue 17: Two Defenders A-B
Paralogue 18: Nutty Family A-B
Paralogue 22: Abrupt Clash A-B
Chapter 19: Hidden Strings A-B
Chapter 20: Seeds of Doubt A-B
Chapter 21: Going Forward A-B
Chapter 22: Memories A

Tae fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Revelation Supports
Fight me, Subaki! I know that I can take you down.
How about, "I love you, schmoopie!" And "You're sooooooooooo sweet!"
Now, hand over those needles. I'm feeling stabby!
That's OK! Detective Princess Elise is on the case!
They're calling us "the twins"! We can't let them treat us this way! They're wrong!

Conquest Supports
Birthright Supports

Tae fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 30, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Gonna warn ya, there's gonna be a lot of stuff happening that I won't explain because the game goes full-force with mechanics, but then slowly teaches you what the hell you just saw in the following chapters.

First major change is that Lunatic keeps the seeding of a unit's growths, meaning their levels are effectively "fixed" in place as soon as you start the game. Outside of that, more enemy units being tougher and such are still the norm as you higher in difficulty.

The Avatar system is back, though you're limited to two types of bodies instead of three. Male is basically this dopey guy and slightly older guy but still dopey because the outfit doesn't really help.

I'm going pure default as canon by the birthright boxart, because I feel that's appropriate.

Sticking with the default name because the Avatar are basically their own characters, for the good and the bad.

So let's go over this new creation menu. Corrin is not Robin in naturally being able to switch to any class. He has to pick one alternative, since each character in Fates has just one in addition to their default class.

Boon is the percentage increase for a stat, Bane is a reduction.

I really wish they would just show us the stat changes instead of using code words.

So if you want to go super min-max, you'd pick a stat you want to focus on like more damage, defense, or speed and pick Luck as a bane because Luck is the least useful. Boon/Bane also gives a few points towards your base stats as well.

So clearly I'm going to pick a speedy swordsman as my alt class. A defensive, physically weak samurai. Total minmax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VbmMEgdODY

I'm gonna give a slight spoiler: You will remember these words forever and forever when I'm done

Wait, don't drown yourself! I just got started!

Never mind, she's just doing fancy swimming/flying through the water thing.

Aaaand now we cut to a large scale battle?

The medieval army has gathered to battle this samurai flipping lobster, a dangerous foe indeed!

Hoshido and Nohr are the two feuding kingdoms, a real East vs. West thing they got going. Samurai and Knights.

Just need some Vikings and we're all set.

I will accept your challenge, "high prince." But I'm no general.

I am crown prince Xander of Nohr!

Personally, I think General is a bigger deal on the battlefield than some prince but what do I know.

The classic shot of two forces about to collide.

That horse is going to be SO sore when it lands....

And now I jump straight into battle, with some red head named Hinoka.

If you're worried, don't be. All your siblings are here with you. The Nohrians don't stand a chance!

There's gonna be a LOT of distractions in this prologue. Like I warned, they will throw all the mechanics without explaining because this is kinda media res.

So the first mission is killing all those enemies, but it's a false thing because the tutorial is gonna have me kill like 2 people.

There's a ton of named characters that are revealed in this mission, but I'm just sticking to Corrin for now.

Nohr Prince is your standard Lord-esque sword user, and he comes with two skills. The first slot is a new feature in Fates, being Personal Skills. Each and every character has their own unique skill, which helps solves the problem beyond growths of "why should I take X Cavalier over Y?"

Supportive-When user is the support unit, if the lead unit has a C Support or higher, the lead unit’s Hit Rate +10, damage +2 and damage received -2

If you make Corrin a support dude, he'll make his partner a real powerhouse and a little tankier.

Nobility-Experience gained x 1.2

Man, if you thought Robin's Veteran skill was busted, Corrin straight up gets extra EXP regardless if he's paired up or not. There's a very slight chance Corrin isn't your first maxed level character in your party unless you just make him support all day.

Looking at my target, we see two major changes here. First, Bronze weapons cannot activate crits or skills so they are by far just for hitting stuff. However, they are extremely accurate and prevents accidental kills via Luna if you're into that.

Second is that there's no durability counter. Just about all weapons have unlimited durability, outside of staves. In response, all the weapons have been re-balanced for that change. No matter stuffing your characters inventories with 5 Iron Swords a spare Killer Sword.

Don't look at the spoiler!!!

Yeah, I'm done futzing around.

I like how the portraits change depending on the impending result of the battle. Corrin doesn't give a crap while the foot soldier is going to have a really bad time.

Oh right. Characters have feet now. And they made sure you see they have feet because they made Corrin barefoot for...reasons.

Meanwhile

Really nice effect that Fates added for battle transitions.

Was that cowardly attack on my people your doing as well, princeling?
...I have nothing to say to you. Surrender now. If you refuse...you die here.

I mean, he has a point. Ryouma can't double Xander to take advantage of the accuracy.

OR CAN HE??!

Meanwhile, again

You know me too well, dear little brother!

Camille flies over to some sort of orange glowy thing.

A symbol comes up and suddenly the entire river is dried up. We'll see how that really works next time.

Yaay, it worked! The river dried up!
I would never let you down, darling. Now, everyone follow me.
Elise, you're not ready for the front lines. Stay back.
Camilla and I will take care of the Hoshidans.

But I thought only royals held that power....
Yeah, which means there must be some real big shots over there. Suits me just fine. I've always wanted to use a Nohrian royal for target practice!
Stay focused, Corrin. The Nohrians brought their heavy hitters this time.

*Battles commence, reinforcements arrive*

WOW, YOU'RE NOT EVIL AS gently caress HUH

Dammnit, their reinforcements have arrived. I'll go scout out how many there are. Takumi, Sakura, stay with Corrin.
Understood.
Y-yes. Good idea.

*Hinoka leaves*

The Nohrian royals are no pushovers...We'll have to work together to beat them. As the eldest, I'll guess you're in charge. Tell me what to do and I'll do it.

Uh okay, so I have to command this whole army now and-

Will you slow down, it's just the prologue!

And now an enemy showed up out of nowhere. Or more specifically, from Hoshidan lines which is....confusing.

It's an ambush! Sakura, stay back. You aren't equipped to fight.
Takumi! Corrin! I'm counting on you two. Work together to defeat that soldier!
Be careful, Corrin!

With my bow, I can shoot this one from here. I'll soften him up, and then you can jump in and finish him off. Got it?

Yeah got it. Just let me kill already.

So here's one of the other defining changes of Fates compared to Awakening. Attacking adjacent to another character with trigger a pair-up attack, 100%. The downside of reliability is that they will not trigger attack skills like Luna and their damage output is half of what they would normally do. The other change is that the extra attack only happens when adjacent, and not paired up as a single unit.

More on that, but it's a big change from just having two characters S ranked spamming double Luna all day.

A strike from Takumi and Corrin finisher later, the prologue is done.

You were amazing, Corrin.
That went well. Probably because SOMEONE gave you good advice....And you're welcome, by the way.

Yeah sure buddy. Older brother says be quiet.

No time to talk! Let's see how Ryoma's doing.

I'll be fine. I'm glad to see you're all safe. Enemy reinforcements are headed this way. I want you to get rid of them. Corrin, I'm counting on you to keep Hinoka and the others safe.

Wait, what

Quickly, come join us! Your family has come to take you home where you belong.
Quiet, Nohrian filth! Corrin is my brother and a prince of Hoshido!
On the contrary, Corrin is MY brother and a prince of Nohr!
Corrin! I was so worried about. Don't ever wander away from me again!
I'm glad you're OK, Corrin. You must the devil's own luck!
Yaaay! We got our brother back!

I'm sensing confusion here....also, gonna assume they didn't see me murder the poo poo out of two Nohr guys.

Nohrian scum! First you kidnap him, now you lie to him?! Corrin is MY brother, not yours!
You are mistaken. Corrin is my sweet little brother. You may not have him.
Don't be fooled by their words. You belong with your true family in Hoshido!
We have loved you and raised you since you were a child. Come home, little prince. WE can live as a family once more!

Okay, maybe I was kidnapped??

Come home to Hoshido, Corrin!
No, Corrin! Nohr is your home!

*Kamui is the japanese name for Corrin

[All translations by https://kantopia.wordpress.com/]

Units Joined

Corrin

Class: Nohrian Prince
Weapons: Sword
Skills:
Supportive-When user is the support unit, if the lead unit has a C Support or higher, the lead unit’s Hit Rate +10, damage +2 and damage received -2
Nobility-Experience gained x 1.2

Growth Rates
HP: 60%
STR: 60%
MAG: 40%
SKL: 45%
SPD: 45%
LCK: 55%
DEF: 55%
RES: 35%

So despite picking slow, Corrin still has a 45% growth rate in speed. It's really hard to make a bad Corrin, just because of the absurd default growths and ability to outlevel your average mission on regular usage.

I mean, there was poo poo ton of other units introduced but I'll get to them. I have 3 whole games to do that.

Tae fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 18, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

cokerpilot posted:

Out of mild curiosity will you and Mantis314 be doing the two different starting stories?

I have no idea what he's doing, I already stated my order.

SSNeoman posted:

Your screenshots are pretty blurry, any chance you could record at a higher res?

That IS higher res. 3DS is just that blurry when at that size, I'll reduce it back to 600 in the next update because wow it's huge even on my monitor.

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Quick question, will we be allowed to discuss the things that are bad about this game when they come up?

I mean, anything's free game when it's shown.

tithin posted:

How are you recording this?

3DS capture unit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Meanwhile, none of that actually happened!

Shades of Awakening, slowly opening the eyes as the game begins for realz.

Except instead of Chrom and Lissa, it's two maids.

I mean, that's not a bad trade-off.

Listen, we can either blame the lack of power that he sleeps on top of the sheets, or we can call Corrin a weirdo.

Your brother is a fearsome opponent, is he not?
Ugh. Fine. I'm still not completely awake though...

Sure thing!

Okay, maybe waking up to two maids isn't great if they literally freeze your face off every time.

That's how we deal with slugabeds in the Ice Tribe!
*sigh* Trust me, I know. I wish I could have finished the dream I was having though...
Interesting. Do tell-what kind of dream was it?
It was...strange. Some people who looked like Hoshidans kept calling me their brother. But all of my brothers and sister are here in Nohr....
Ah. Lord Corrin, perhaps we should talk about your dream another time?
It's time for you to get going, milord. Prince Xander is waiting for you!

*Time passes*

Corrin is getting the crap beat out of him by Xander for a bit.

That's our brother for you. You won't beat the strongest knight in Nohr by sleeping all day, Corrin.
Giving up so soon, Corrin? I expect more of you. You are a prince of Nohr! Pick up your sword and try again.
But, Xander, I-

Father has been tracking your progress. If you can't land a hit on me today...he may never permit you to leave the Northern Fortress. Ever.
What?! D-did he really say that? That's insane!

I think that's a hint that he doesn't want you to leave, dude

Motivated, are we? Then use that fire to best be in battle, little Prince. If you would see the outside world beyond the view from your window, defeat me.
Prove that al of the time I've devoted to training you has not been in vain!

So we to beat presumably a promoted unit in one-on-one combat. I see no problem with this.

Oh. Right. "Holding back."

Xander's Personal Skill Chivalry-When enemy’s HP is at maximum, damage +2 and damage received -2 during the battle

Elbow Room-When user fights in terrain with no terrain effects, damage +3 during battles

Xander is at his best when he starts the assault on an enemy, and the starting Cavalier skill compliments this plan to one-shot or nearly kill any unit he touches.

Elbow Room in general is an absurd skill, since most of the game has no terrain bonus. So right now, Xander has +5 attack against Corrin at the start. Fun.

Uh, the math does not work out for Corrin and I have no standard Vulnerary on me.

Yeeeeah I'm trying, bro

*pant*...*pant*...
Hmm, looks like that wound needs attention. In that case....

Ah! There was a Dragon Vein here?
Yes. You should have sensed it as well. The blood of dragons flows in your veins, as it does in all royals. You must learn to harness this draconic power wherever you may find it. Heal your wounds, Corrin, then find the courage to come at me again.

Okay so "dragon veins" are basically like gimmicks that royal characters can activate and poo poo happens. Apparently they apear literally anywhere and become anything...?

And it's powered by dragon heritage. Because Fire Emblem.

So running like a coward gets me almost back to full which is actually better to avoid Xander's PSkill.

Good. Now that you've recovered some of your strength, try again!

Huh. despite my attempts, he still gained speed.

Corrin, dad said to beat Xander. Murdering the horse also was not in the contract

Well done, Corrin.

Thanks, Xander. I couldn't have done it without your, uh, tough love.
I disagree. I believe you have natural talent. Someday, you could be the greatest warrior in all of Nohr.
Now you're just teasing me.
You know me, Corrin. I never joke about serious matters. I mean what I say.

Good lord

Xander...

Leo, he didn't mean-
Calm yourself, little brother. You really are competitive to a fault. As I've always said, you're a talented mage with formidable magical abilities.

I would...hope so?

Hmm. Well, just remember that pointy metal sticks are not the only path to power.
Oh, that reminds me of something I've been meaning to tell you, Leo.
Something important enough to derail this conversation?
Well...your collar is inside out.

It would appear someone got dressed while still half-asleep.
Ugh! Wh-why didn't you say something earlier?! *runs away for a moment*
Haha. Sorry, Leo. But that sort of ting is what makes you so very lovable.
Absolutely.
Hmph...

*The boys turn their attention behind them*

If you did, let me know right away so I can take extra-special care of you...
I'm perfectly fine, Camilla. As always, thanks for your concern.
I was worried about you too, Corrin!
I know, Elise. You wouldn't visit me all the time if you didn't care so much, right?
Heehee...Do you like it when I visit?
Of course! I'm not allowed to leave this fortress, so visits are all I look forward to!

I'm starting to have tiny doubts that Corrin's situation is pretty screwed up if he's locked up like Rapunzel for some reason.

Yaaay! I'm glad to hear that. Spending time with my brother makes me so happy!

Okay Fates, I think we get it. They love Corrin very, very, very, much

....Oookay then

Well said, Camilla. Every one of you is so dear to me. You've all been so patient and kind since I lost my memory....

Goddamnit, always with the amnesia

I don't even mind being quarantined when I'm with you. I'm so grateful to have you all.
We are grateful to have you as well. But, Corrin, I have some-

Father asked us to take you back to the capital!
Really?! Does that mean...
Yes. It means you can finally leave this drafty fortress. You must have been so lonely all this time, separated from the rest of the world.
But now you'll be free!
Isn't that wonderful?!

YEAH SO EXCITED!!!!!!

Maybe now I can join you all as a soldier, fighting for Nohr?
There will be plenty of time to discuss the details with Father. Let us depart.

*Time passes as they prepare to leave*

Gunter has asked me to go with you to the capital so I can look after your horses.
Glad to hear it! I'd miss you if you weren't coming along too.
Lilith, are the horses ready?
Yes, milord. Everything is ready, and the horses seem excited for the trip. They are all very fond of Lord Corrin. Probably from all his time in the stables...

Everbody Loves Corrin™

Why, he even nursed an injured baby bird back to health one time!
Ah...
Lilith, is something wrong?
Oh...no. It's nothing.
Isn't it obvious, Corrin? Lilith is sad because she's going to miss you!
Miss me? But she's coming with us.
Oh, right! Well then, I bet she's sad 'cause she won't have you all to herself anymore. You've always been especially fond of our brother, haven't you, Lilith?

Everbody Loves (to bone) Corrin™

As gripping as all this is, we should be on our way. We mustn't keep Father waiting.
Yes, let's go!

Felicia and I will accompany Lord Corrin. We may be gone for some time. Take good care of the place.
Of course! You may rely on us.
I wish you safe travels, Lord Corrin.
Thank you. I hope to see both of you again soon...just not here!

So there's an actual gameplay difference besides romance options in Fates for gender. Jakob goes with you if you're Female Corrin, while Felicia is with us since this run's male. I'll touch more on their difference in the next chapter when I get actual party members.

Tae fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 12, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So keep in mind that bowl on the center left is where the story is next.

Now zoom....

Zoom more....

Yeah, it's a decently sized kingdom.

Not sure what kind of meeting room this is. Where's the throne? Or at least a bar stool?

Yes, Father. Long have I wished to see you and visit Castle Krakenburg again. I feel like I'm dreaming...
It is only thanks to your diligence that you are here. I am told you are now a warrior almost on par with Xander. You finally possess the strength to be an instrument of Nohr's power in the world.

This is some weird relationship the family has.

I worry about that as well. Isn't it dangerous for Corrin to live outside the fortress's magical barrier?
I appreciate your concern, but I earned my way here and I'm ready to fight.

Well, you kinda didn't. Xander clearly held back and gave you a free hea-eh, sure. Earned your keep.

Corrin, as you know, Nohr is at war with the eastern kingdom of Hoshido.
Yes, Father, I have heard as much.
We of the royal family are descendants of the ancient gods, the First Dragons. As inheritors of that divine strength, we conquer those who oppose us with ease. One who learns to wield tha tpower can destroy an entire army of common troops.

"We couldn't figure out a better name for the dragons in tons of years because of the FAMINE"

I expect no less from you.
I am aware of your expectations, Father. And I have trained every day to become more like my siblings.
Hmm...you show promise. But you will need a suitable weapon in order to serve Nohr.

*sword appears out of random black hole*

This is Ganglari, a sword infused with magic from another world. With this sword at your side, you will crush the Hoshidan army with ease.
Thank you for this generous gift, Father.
Hmm...Generous indeed.
Now, let us see you put that sword to its proper use...Bring out the prisoners!
Yes, sire!
Prisoners?

I want to see your power with my own eyes. Use that sword to strike them down.

BATTLE TIME

Felicia, will you join as well?
Of course! I'm as much a bodyguard as a domestic, after all.
To be honest, I was never that great a tthe domestic stuff anyway.

What is your name, Nohrian prince?
I'm Corrin.

Huh? Have you heard of me?
I am Kaze, a ninja of Hoshido.
Show me what you can do.
Kill them all!

Is something wrong, milord?
I feel....something emanating from the ground. Could it be...

So the green stuff is a dragon vein, which I'll to in a moment because lots of new stuff is happening.

Oni Savages are the Hosidan versions of fighters, that tend to favor more defensive growths. Clubs are axe equivalents.

Samurai are fancy version of Myrmidons, although in this case, there's no actual Myrmidons in Fates.

You may notice that his DEF and RES are lower while his speed's up. Well, thank the Hoshidan stat tax! Basically all their weapons gain some sort of base stat change while Nohr get jack poo poo.

Here's Rinkah. Her PSkill is Fiery Blood, which gives a straight +4 damage if she has less than full HP.

Kaze is here part of a new class in Fates called Ninja. They use 1-2 range weapons called Hidden Weapons, or mostly Shurikens in Hoshidan's case. These are basically debuff weapons. These weapons are weak to bows, but strong against magic.

This is all part of the new weapon triangle in Fates which is: Sword/Magic (red)->Axes/Bows (Green)->Lances/Hidden Weapons (Blue). So bows have weapon advantage against lances, and lances are devastating against tome users.

Bronze Shuriken debuffs SKL/SPD -1, DEF/RES -2, so anyone hit is slower and takes way more damage.

FYI, Shurikens give +2 SPD when equipped because Hoshido gently caress you.

Kaze's PSkill is Miraculous Save-When user is the support unit, the lead unit has a Luck% chance of surviving a fatal attack with 1 HP. It's okay, not one of the better skills.

Whew okay. So here's Gunter, the standard promoted Jeigan unit. His PSkill is Forceful Partner, which gives a lead Corrin +15 hit and +3 damage.

The new ability is Shelter, a level 10 Cavalier skill that puts an adjacent unit in the back-up slot of a pair-up. Great to get a healer or dancer out of trouble in the mix of combat.

Okay. So let me explain what Maid is, first. It is a promoted class, branching from Troubadours. They specialize in Hidden Weapon and Staves, making them the ultimate support unit to weaken the enemy and heal your party.

Felicia's PSKill is Devoted Partner which gives -2 damage received and +2 damage increase for lead Corrin.

Besides that, she comes with RES +2 and Demoiselle, reducing -2 damage for any males within a 2 tile radius.

Iron Dagger debuffs MAG -2, DEF/RES -3. And Daggers are Nohrian weapons, so no bonus stats because middle finger I guess.

Ganglari is an okay sword, being slightly stronger than an Iron Sword.

Right, there's an actual battle. Corrin's gonna Vein it up with this debris here.

Oh! Th-that's amazing! You blew away all the debris!
Heh...Well done.
Excellent plan, milord-now we can hide in there and ambush our foes.

The veins opened up a little chokehold formation with the glowly bits healing 20% of HP every turn.

remain focused, milord. This is no mock battle-a mistake here could cost you your life.
You should know I'm trained to use daggers-up close or thrown from afar. I can even hit enemies hiding behind walls, which might come in handy!

That sounds mighty silly when you say it out loud!

You would do well to consider them before you attack.
I'm sure you know this, milord, but it's useful to stay close to your allies. If you fight side by side, you can help each other in battle.
Indeed. Supporting each other will likely be the key to victory.
Maids can also use staves to heal wounds. If you get hurt, let me know right away!

Gunter will solo the right side since he can handle the debuffs and samurai, while Corrin will tackle Rinkah's squad.

A ninja's shuriken may not cut deep, but it can sap you of your strength. Your death need not come all at once.

I just moved my guys up, the enemy moved down, etc.

One Oni Savage later, Corrin levels everything but MAG and RES.

Gunter killed everyone but Kaze on the right side, which I'll save last.

Behold the might of the Flame Tribe!

Fates definitely upped the stakes in battle effects, as flames erupt whenever Rinkah strikes with her club.

Felicia flips out her weapon from underneath the skirt like an assassin and apparently discharges ice on her weapons on impact.

Nohrian scum....

Ninjas get fancy vanishing effects when entering and leaving battle.

Hidden Weapons are swung like swords when in melee range, which gets hilarious with some of the Shurikens.

This is pretty standard for Felicia, as she's the more magical of the pair over Jakob, who's a physical growths guy.

A small thing to note is that Felicia and Jakob are special in starting out promoted, but gain levels normally like a starting unit. Their internal levels are low, if you remember that mess from Awakening, and both have a level cap of 40 instead of 20. So they're not going to be useless if you use them long-term.

Anyways, Kaze's down.

I regret...nothing....

Corrin leveled up again, missing only SKL and DEF...despite the fact I specifically made DEF his strongest suite.

Phew! They're really tough, aren't they? I hope all Hoshidans aren't this strong.

You...you thought beaten up prisoners were strong? Oh dear.

Don't just stand there, idiot boy. Finish them!
But, Father...they're beaten. You want me to execute helpless prisoners?
You dare question me?! I order you to kill them!
No! It's wrong!
I won't argue the point any further.

Corrin, what did you think was gonna happen after you won

WELP, that's why he's big dick king of Nohr I guess!

Gods!

Dude, you literally just got of what I'm assuming was lifetime quarantine. You are bad at this "freedom" thing.

Hm?
Corrin! What are you-
Unbelievable...
You would defy me directly, Corrin?!

Fine, Xander, you kill them. And if anyone gets in your way, kill them too.
Ngh.

This is a slow reunion, I dunno

*Walks over to Corrin*

No, Xander. I won't let you do this!

OUCH

Why do you refuse, Corrin? You know the Hoshidans are our sworn enemies.
I know, but...this is different. These people can't fight anymore. Why not show mercy?

No no no! Leo, what should we do?
*sigh* Why does this fall to me?

So Leo just tree'ed the remaining soldiers. Now he's...Treeo?

Hmph.
I only ask that you would be merciful in your punishment of him...
Enough! I will consider the matter later. *leaves*

Agreed. Now hush.
Leo, did you-
Enough, both of you. The battle is over.
Mark my words, Corrin...One day an act of kindness may be the death of you.
Perhaps, but I'm kind, I will die without regrets.

Is he trying to get locked back up or....

...Well said.
Guard! I would examine the prisoners' belongings. Bring their remains to my quarters.
Yes, Your Highness!

How did you only realize it now

Was only enough to weaken them, yes. I should have followed Father's orders.
But Camilla and Elise always make such a fuss when I do anything to upset you.
Thank you, Leo. I'm sorry for teasing you about your collar.
*sigh* You can repay me by not mentioning it again.

It was, but I doubt this will be the last we hear of this. Father never forgets a slight.

*Later that night*

Disappear now, lest you be spotted by our king.
... *runs off*
Tch. I am not a hostage to be freed. You said your name is Corrin?
When next we meet, I will make you pay for this humiliation!
I was hoping the next time we met, it could be as friends.
Softhearted fool! I am a Hoshidan warrior. You do not understand what you suggest.
I understand that right now Hoshido and Nohr are at war.
But I'm trying to plan ahead for the day the war is over and we can live in peace.

I see those rumors are true.

B...burn?

If we do meet again, the world will have no doubt taught you the error of your ways. *runs off*

Units Joined

GUNTER

Class sets: Starts as Great Knight, Cavalier,Mercenary, Wyvern Rider
PSkill: Forceful Partner-If the Avatar is the lead unit, Avatar’s Hit rate +15, damage +3

Growth Rates
HP: 65
STR: 25
MAG: 0
SKL: 15
SPD: 5
LCK: 20
DEF: 25
RES: 0

This ain't Frederick, Seth or Titania. This is hardcore Jeigan. You're gonna rely on those base stats and that's all you're gonna get. At least with PSkills introduced, he still has some use beyond fighting now.

Felicia

Class/Alt: Starts as Maid, Troubadour, Mercenary
PSkill: Devoted Partner-If the Avatar is the lead unit, Avatar’s damage +2, damage received -2

Growth Rates
HP: 40
STR: 20
MAG: 45
SKL: 45
SPD: 55
LCK: 65
DEF: 20
RES: 35

Outside of speed, Felicia isn't anything special. But when you consider her main job should be staying away from 2 squares at all cost, it's not so bad. Having a debuffer and healer in one slot is valuable in itself.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think 4 updates might break the 1st page.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Nothing was touched visual wise in the character designs. The only thing that was changed was the Beach DLC when they put a curtain over Tharja's butt because....bikini's are too hot?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm doing box art canon in the first update. I'm not gonna miss any supports since there's revelation.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Part 1

Thanks, Elise. I hope you're right.
All right. Deep breath, and...here we go.
Father! We have something we need to talk to you about!

aaaand now I have nightmares forever

Father?
It sounds like he's with someone....maybe we should come back later.
Hrmph! Who's there?
Oh! Sorry to bother you, Father...
Yes, we apologize if this isn't a good time.
What do you two want?
Father, we're here to apologize. Right, Corrin?
Yes, that's right. I'm sorry for questioning you.
You may enter.

Oh, so he does have a throne.

With...vines? I heard Nohr was poor, but you can't even afford some weed killers?

Ordinarily you would not still be alive.
I understand...
No! Father, I can explain-

As you are my child, Corrin, I will grant you some leeway. I have something in mind for you. A mission. If you complete this task successfully, I will pardon your crime in full.
Really? What sort of mission?
There is an abandoned fortress perched on the Hoshidan border. I wish to know if the building there remains serviceable. You are to travel to the site and inspect the premises. No battle will be required.
Do you understand? I won't tolerate being disappointed twice.
Yes, Father. It shall be done.

Well, immediately fighting daddy and refusing at every turn seems to not bite Corrin in the rear end too much.

*Time passes*

Of course! Please don't worry. It's just an abandoned fort.
You're acting rather casual about all this, Corrin. It isn't like Father to be so forgiving...
Huh? What do you mean, Leo?

I mean, technically, Corrin wouldn't know anything about how Garon treats the other kids. On the other hand, he was forced to stay in a fortress until he beat literally the best knight in the kingdom so....:shrug:

That's enough, Leo! Don't be so worried all the time, sheesh. And don't even try to scare Corrin before his first mission!

drat, GIRL

I suppose I'll just have to come along. That way I know Corrin will be safe.
I'm afraid that's not possible.
Why ever not, Iago?

As his top advisor, I have been entrusted with coordinating this mission. He would like to know whether Prince Corrin is worthy...After all, he IS a part of the royal lineage. Therefore, your assistance would simply muddy the results.
Understood. Camilla, I need to do this all by myself. Surely you understand.
Not all by yourself, Corrin.

Rest assured, I don't intend to send you out there completely defenseless.

Christ, just stab Corrin in the head right now.

This is Hans. He is a veteran warrior and will ensure no trouble befalls you.
Thank you, Father.
Hmm...*walks up to Corrin*

Why do you say that?
He's a criminal. A murderer and scoundrel. I arrested him myself, years ago. Father seems to think he's rehabilitated but I'm not so sure.
That said, he is a formidable soldier.

Oh good, he sounds doubly trustworthy then!

I see.

So world maps are not in Fates, as it's replaced by a menu that selects different areas. Frankly, they operate the same but the visual world map was nice to have (Although a huge pain to travel late-game).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Part 2

Yes. It's the natural boundary diving Nohr and Hoshido.
It can't really be bottomless, can it?
Let the eternal darkness below be your answer. Those who fall in never return....I truly despise this place. Something about the land around here just isn't right. The sky here is always dark and foreboding and lightning strikes all who fly across.
This is clearly a place us mortals were never meant to enter. Normally we'd go around...but the fort that King Garon wants surveyed is right over there.

Compared to the inside of that fortress, this is downright exciting.

Well, I'm glad you're enjoying yourself before your horribly planned murder

Ha! That certainly puts things in perspective, milord. Come, let's proceed.

Why the devil is this place crawling with Hoshidans?

WHAT A SHOCKING TURN OF EVENTS

Hold on! Do not advance any farther, soldiers of Nohr.
Crossing that bridge is a violation of our border treaty. Turn back at once, or we'll be forced to attack!
What should we do?
We're not here to fight. I suppose we'll have to turn back and report to father.
Wise decision, Lord Corrin.
Who asked you, old man?
What?!

Aaaaugh! *dies*
Ah ha ha! Die, scumbags!
You'll...pay for this!

He's....being helpful. And you would probably believe that, too if he said it.

Pfft.
We should have tried diplomacy first. We weren't sent here to fight!
Speak for yourself, weakling.
What's that supposed to mean?

Uh...it means you ain't strong or something

Oh right, the ninja's still pissed.

Prepare to attack!

Get ready to fight, Lord Corrin.

Today's a seize mission today, but basically is also a kill-the-boss-ninja effectively.

You'll need to learn both, and fast! You can take a defensive position by moving to the same space as an ally. Your ally will benefit from your support, but you won't be able to attack. If you want to unleash the most potent attacks, stand in adjacent positions. From that alignment, allies may be able to attack simultaneously. I'd tell you more, but you're about to receive some practical experience....

Jeez, okay. So that long-rear end explanation was basically how pair-up works. Pair-up purely is a defensive maneuver now, as dual attacks no longer work if the attacker is paired up, though a non-paired unit can have a paired-up unit dual attack.

Pair-up still gives those stat boosts, but now a meter appears underneath the lead unit's HP. You gain 2 blips when either attacking or defending (I don't know why they couldn't just make it 5 blips instead), and at max meter your partner will automatically negate all damage.

The other new benefit to pair-up is that any opposing dual attacks are negated. Oh that's right, the enemies can now also use pair-up and dual attacks.

So this rear end in a top hat is a guest character. Has Gamble and HP+5, so just a weird pre-promoted Berserker.

Corrin leads ahead with Gunter support so Hans doesn't steal any kills.

Yeeeep, pretty much a death trap. The pair-up alone is tough, but they're also sitting on a fort for extra defense.

We've got to look for another way across. Lord Corrin! See if you can find a Dragon Vein around here.

*dies*

Time to lay low and see how this plays out...

The foreshadow is so visible, I need a nightlight

Anyways, Corrin is gonna make a dragon vein to make a stone bridge because dragon veins literally do anything

Gods! Did you see what just happened to the cliff? Who are we dealing with here?

Technically I can just ignore the top entirely and beat the boss/seize for the win, but I want that delicious EXP. Also show off a nice way to deal with range/melee pair-up formation.

While killing some extra archers, Corrin gets to level 5 and gets the level I expect to get instead of random super levels.

Felicia gains MAG/SPD/LCK/RES for level 3, which is best case scenario for her.

So the slow but risk free strategy here is to bait the archer lead at range, then attacking it in melee. Bait out the archer again, rinse-repeat. The tedious part is that pair-up's guard stance pops up every other battle because the samurai doubles Corrin.

With the pair-up eliminated, the Samurai is easy pickings for Felicia since he doesn't move.

Potshots and nickle healing gets Felicia another level, picking up some extra defense.

So the bottom area is the next destination. Keep in mind that there's another Dragon Vein where the circle is for a different stone bridge assault. But there's a reason why to avoid that.

Clearing the Samurai and Archer next to the boss got Corrin another level. Somehow gained speed again but no defense. Did my bane and boon switch??

More enemy reinforcements...Take caution, Lord Corrin.

So if you engage the mooks at the bottom, reinforcements come. If you took the lower stone bridge, you're basically pincered in which isn't nice.

Luckily in Fates, reinforcements only move on the enemy phase so no enemies appearing and then immediately attacking like Awakening.

No.

BUT. She learns the maid/butler skill Live to Serve, which heals the user equal to the healing it gives. It makes the class more self-sustainable without needing a second healer or burning a turn using a healing item.

Corrin basically solos the fliers.

Hoshido won't stand for unprovoked attacks like this. Revenge will be ours!

Boss time. Ninja boss can't really win in a war of attrition, even after the debuff from Iron Shuriken (MAG-2, DEF/RES -3)

What a weird thing for dead people to say.

*Hoshidan reinforcements appear*

Who are you?

My name is Saizo. I've come to claim your life.
Hey! Everyone! We're still under attack!
Destroy them!

What?! This must be their real commander...
What's going on here, Corrin?
Xander! How did you know we were in trouble?

Because Xander isn't a stupid idiot to trust literally a murderer he arrested.

*rest of the siblings arrive*

Are you all right? I was so worried about you.
We're all here for you, Corrin!
Thank you, everyone!
Um, but before we get too carried away...we ARE under attack.
Who dares attack my beloved Corrin? I'll have their heads on a platter!
I'm not hurt, Camilla.
But, darling, it's the thought that counts.

*Camilla immeditately wipes out two Samurai*

I never knew Camilla could be so...ruthless...
Heehee! That's right, you've never seen her on the battlefield before.

Yeaaah, not sure five against one is good, let alone five royals.

I misjudged the situation. We're outnumbered. Kagero, do we have anyone else on the way?
Affirmative. Lord Ryoma is right behind me.
Ahh...then I think this battle is as good as won.

They...they're still there. They could at least have the ninja models move.

Indeed. What should we do?
Well, Corrin is safe, and the fort's condition has been evaluated. There's no reason to engage Hoshido further at this point. Corrin, you take the lead with Gunter. We'll follow close behind.
Will do. Thank you, Xander.

*Corrin's group leaves*

"WE'LL FOLLOW CLOSE BEHIND"

*Back to the starting bridge*

I'm sure she's right behind us.
Now hurry up. I can't stand being on this bridge a moment longer.

Oh, it's Hans. Hello Hans.

Hans!
What is the meaning of this?
Less talk. More death.

WELL, GUNTER'S DEAD, poo poo

Why are you doing this? Your own ally...
Aww, did I knock your babysitter into the ditch? Here-you can meet up with him at the bottom!

Uh...paper drill arm????

You'll pay for this!
What?! What kind of...freak...are you?

THE gently caress IS HAPPENING

It can't be....
I want answers, Hans! Why are you doing this? Why did you provoke the Hoshidans? And why did you kill Gunter?
Answer me!

What a shocker

Where the gently caress are Xander and the others

Or even Felicia at this point

What?! You lie!
*Runs away*
Come back here!

And now the evil black sword is suddenly glowing really hard

What the gently caress was this plan, Garron.
Having Hans instigate an international incident to get Corrin killed wasn't enough
Having Hans attempt murder on a bridge wasn't enough
So the back-up back-up plan was have the sword just chuck him in a ditch as a last resort?
Boy, this plan assumes a lot huh

Tae fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 15, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Part 3

So Corrin's dead or dying or something. Falling to his death because his dad triple-proofed his assassination.

Huh?

Why is he still holding on to the sword

Dragons grant me strength! Great Moro, I beseech you!

Uh...this has certainly been a day so far

Lord Corrin...I knew this day would come eventually. This may come as a shock, but I am not a human.
Well, I can see that. Are you a dragon?
Yes, this is my true form. You've seen it before. Do you remember? That strange bird you rescued in the barn...

You thought THAT was a bird, dude???

That...was you...?
It was. Once I recovered, I was able to take human form.
You were so kind to me that I decided to remain a human that I might serve you.
But now I have used a power that goes beyond the capacity of a human body. I will not be able to return to that form. I don't mind, though. The most important thing to me is that you're safe...

Randomly, lightning strikes them.

And now a tornado...? The hell kind of canyon is this

Lilith! Be careful! Drop me if you must...I won't have you sacrifice yourself for me!
First Dragons, I call on you. Grant us access to the astral plane!

*The two enter the portal*

*A moment later*

"Today I'm going to finally leave this fortress that I lived in all my life after beating literally the best soldier in Nohr. Gonna talk to daddy about not-killing prisoners and then not-fighting an enemy base. Now I'm another dimension.

Did I even eat"

This is a world parallel to the one in which you live, Lord Corrin. It is known as the astral plane.

Is that what they call Japan these days

How were you able to get us here?

The First Dragons have granted us the power to inhabit this dimension. Under their protection, we are safe here. Oh! Allow me to prepare a place for you to rest...

And Lilith makes a treehouse out of nothing. Why a treehouse, who knows. That's the least of my worries.

Did...did you just use a Dragon Vein?
Yes. The power of the First Dragons flows freely in this realm. You should know that space and time operate differently here as well...
I have so much to learn...Is there anyone else here?

There's no one left here...
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to invoke any bad memories.
It's OK, Corrin. I'm not lonely as long as I have you in my life. Now...you should get some rest.

*Time passes*

Yes, it is. But I feel much better now. My wounds seem to have healed already.
And my mind is racing! I have so many new questions about this world....
All in good time. For now, some business remains in the other world.
Yes, you're right. I can't relax until I know everyone made it safely home.
Of course. There is just one thing you should know before you go back. When I open the portal, you will return to the same location you came from.

There may be soldiers lying in wait for you...
I understand. I'll be ready for them.
Very well. Then I will open the gate.

Aaaand we're back from Japanese Dragonland.

Hmm?!

Good first day

Class Overview: Maid/Butler

Pair-up bonus: +2 Mag. +3 SPD/LCK
Weapon rank: Hidden Weapon (B), Staves (S)
Skill: (Lvl 5) Live to Serve-When healing an ally, the user recovers the same amount of HP
(lvl 15) Tomebreaker-Hit rate and Avoid +50 when the enemy is equipped with a Tome

A bit backwards, but the first class overview is a promoted class and new to Fire Emblem. The Servant class is a great support unit that uses debuff weapons and heals party members, while also capable of keeping themselves healthy.

Their skills lend to them being underrated mage killers thanks to Tomebreaker, which with Felicia/Jacob effectively being starter units, means you will have reliable anti-mage units with little effort.

A new twist in Fates is monopoly on S weapon ranks. Usually, only one class across both Hoshido and Nohr can have an S rank in a weapon. Curiously, Servants are the holders of S rank for staves, so they solidify as the healing class. Unfortunately since Hidden Weapons are mostly physical, weaker strength characters like Elise may not want to promote to a Maid with her sky-high MAG but pathetic STR.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Part 1

Uh...so did Rinkah knock Corrin unconscious and then carried him all the way across the canyon and into a valley? That map better be less scaled than I think.

Sorry about that bump on your head.
It's you! From the Flame Tribe, right? Where are we?
Yes, I am Rinkah. This is a Flame Tribe village within Hoshido's territory. I'm going to hand you over to the Hoshidan authorities.
I see. I suppose they'll want to hear an explanation for the unprovoked attack.
And then they'll probably execute me.

You seem to understand this but not murder-dad somehow

Gods...they're here already, aren't they?
Yes. It's time to go.

*The two go outside*

Yes. I'm glad we found you, Prince Corrin.
You are? Wait, an I missing something?
Please come with me. All will be explained.
Very well.

Good. SOMEONE explain something, I'll take anything at this point

Good jeez, just world trotting instantly here, huh

Welcome to Not-Japan, not to be confused with Not-Japan Dragonland.

Thank you, Lord Ryoma.
Did...did you just say Lord Ryoma?
Yes, this is the high prince of Hoshido, Lord Ryoma.
I understand.
Hmm...

Garon is pondering why this didn't happen so easily back at Nohr right now

*A woman approaches*

I'm sorry, do we know each other?
Oh, I've missed you so much! Come here, Corrin, my sweet child!

Your sweet child?! What are you talking about? That's not possible...

When you were very young, you were abducted by forces from Nohr. I am your mother, Mikoto. All this time, I didn't know if I'd ever see you again!
But King Garon is my father! None of what you're saying makes sense.

Uh...no, if anything this explains everything. Including why he quarantined you for years.

It must be quite a shock, but I assure you that she speaks the truth.
I am your older brother, Ryoma.

Are those the Nohrian royals? They're not your real family.
I still remember the day you were taken. In those days, there was tension between Hoshido and Nohr, but no full-blown war.
Not until Garon lured King Sumeragi-our father-to Cheve under false pretenses. He said it was for a peace conference. Ha!

And to make matters even worse...he kidnapped you.
No. That's just not possible.

Did that knock on your head made you forget how you almost died because your sword literally tried to kill you

wait, why do you still have the sword

You really don't remember any of this? Not even a single memory?
No. Honestly, I have only the vaguest memories from my early childhood.

I said I wanted answer, but I just get more questions!

A blurry image. Like a stone at the bottom of a lake, shimmering and ethereal.
But that's it. Nothing of substance.
Well, I can't imagine the Nohrian royals would share much of your past with you. I know this is a lot to take in.

*Soldier barges in*

We're under attack from the north!
No! Hinoka and Sakura are in that area right now!
Yes, milord. I've been told that they're working to help evacuate the villagers.
Very well. We'll need to provide support. I'll leave immediately. Corrin, will you come with me? I want you to see the truth with your own eyes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think he's talking about ryo not knowing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Part 2

I never understand healing staves in Fire Emblem. Do they just heal open wounds or bruises? Why can't a sprained ankle help?

Don't worry about it, Sis. We'll be OK.
Those stupid beasts don't stand a chance against me.
I hope you're right...

Sakura and Hinoka are stuck in the upper left, with a bunch of enemies spread across the middle. Corrin and company arrive in the lower right.

It's important to scout ahead and look for any troublesome areas.

Okay, so let's check out who our villains are today.

Monsters, apparently from Nohr. A lot of these things have new abilities that will really put the hurt on the team.

Seal Defense-After combat, reduce enemy by -6 defense.
Seal Strength-After combat, reduce enemy -6 strength.

Seal X moves are a new addition to Fates which debuff enemies after combat. And as you can tell, they hurt you a LOT, as -6 means at least 6 levels of defense reduction and you only regain full defense once 6 turns pass. Debuffs reduce by 1 as each turn passes by.

Poison Strike-If the unit initiates attack, reduce enemy by 20% HP after combat.

Arguably one of the nastiest skills in the game, Poison Strike reduce what remaining hp you have by 20% maximum HP. That means literally any enemy will be reduced to 1 HP after 5 attacks no matter how weak the Poison striker is.

PSkill: Quiet Strength-Allies within two spaces take -2 damage

Bloom Festival-A healing stave with 1-2 range

Sakura is a good healer with an amazing skill that keeps frontline units alive without being at risk of ranged units sneaking in and hunting her down. Keeping synergy with that plan are the 1-2 range healing staves that Hoshido employ, giving her both safety and mobility to helping the team.

She also comes with Miracle but eh.

Sky Knight is the Fates version of Pegasus Knights because...they want to be different or something.

PSkill: Rallying Cry-Allies within two spaces deal +2 damage
Darting Blow-Gain +5 speed when attacking

Hinoka hurts things and makes others hurt things just as hard if not harder. If you want to start off a strong offense, have her lead the way and plan your offense around her aura. Darting Blow is a Sky Knight skill that makes even the slowest characters have a chance to double or avoid getting doubled while going on the offensive.

Steel Naginata is a good showing of the new weapon balance. Well, sort of. Naginata are the Hoshidan lances, except they give innate +1 DEF/RES because screw you Nohr. Steel weapons effectively lower your speed by 3 when equipped, so you're trading speed and possibly being doubled for more power.

Rinkah's back, as our side for now. Only new thing is Seal Resistance, which is the base skill for Oni Savages.

Kaze shows off Locktouch, signaling that Ninjas are the Thief archtype of Fates.

PSkill: Bushido-When user is the lead unit, if their Level is higher than their support unit’s Level, Critical rate +10, damage +2 and damage received -2

Duelist's Blow-When user triggers the battle, Avoid +30

Ryoma's stats aren't anything too special for a promoted unit, but he becomes incredibly powerful when paired-up, drastically increasing his damage while also increasing his defense. But the real reason why Ryoma is the god of Hoshido is Raijinto.

Yeah, you're reading that right. An unlimited 1-2 range physical sword with 11 MT and gives +4 strength. With Katanas giving innate +1 SPD, -1 DEF/RES, Ryoma goes from above-average to a tornado of destruction. It also gives 10 avoid because why not.

(He has Vantage, too. Unfair)

Please use it as necessary, Lord Corrin.

Anyways, actual rescue time. Kaze reminding us how Vulnerarys heal us, yada yada

We should warn them to stay out of harm's way!

Visit villages to get items and lore info.

Please, take this. Good luck!

Free Goddess Icon, which means free gold cause Luck is still meh.

So Corrin and friends are going to traverse through the snow while all those Faceless inch closer to the sisters.

Did you see that? The entire hill just disintegrated! Is that the power of a Dragon Vein? I had no idea...
To harness the ancient dragon powers is truly a magnificent gift. Yet I wonder if even the royals who wield that power can fully control it...
Still, strategically using Dragon Vein could the key to this rescue.

The main gimmick of this map is for Corrin to open up Dragon Veins to move quicker, because the Faceless will easily kill Sakura otherwise if you dally too much.

Sakura isn't going to have problems surviving, it's the bottom Faceless creeping up that's the main issue. Well, sort of. You don't get anything for saving Sakura and character deaths don't matter before The Big Decision.

They pull their arms out of their sockets or something. Real freaky.

Or, you can allow them to engage the enemy as they see fit. Just be careful to never let your guard down!

No, Ryo. I will not loving use auto-battle ever again.

You see that Dragon Vein? Never ever activate it. Doing it will have those swarm of the highest level Faceless rush you, and Sakura will certainly die then. Continue to go around up top and then to the left.

Hold strong, Sisters! I'm coming for you!

Wow, 78 already. I don't remembers numbers going that high in Awakening so early.

A slight correction from the last fight, there is a reason why it's 10 blips for Guard meter instead of 5. Paired-characters separated get half of the meter, and you lose 1 meter for each turn of non-combat.

We should get close and try to speak to one of them. *Moves towards Hinoka*
Hey, are you all right? We're here to help.
Yeah, we're fine. Who are you? I thought I knew most of my brother's troops. Anyway, I appreciate the help, but it's really not necessary. It takes more than a few dozen 800-pound monsters to bring me down!
Well, I'm glad you're feeling confident. Just know that we've got your back.

Hmm?
I didn't mean to be dismissive. Thank you for coming all the way out here. I owe you one...so take this. you can use it in a pinch to heal your wounds. Now really, don't worry about me. I'm at my best in situations like this!
Thank you. I'll use this wisely.

Oh, sorry. I'm Corrin. Nice to meet you. *leaevss*
Corrin? Corrin?! This can't be a coincidence!

Hino gives us a Concoction, which is good because I ended up using all the heals.

While those two were yapping away, Kaze was busy cleaning up the surrounding enemies. He loves speed and only speed, so get used to seeing these type of gains.

Oh! Th-thank you so much.
Yes, we're OK...for n-now.
Excellent. I think we have things under control at the moment.
But please stay back for the time being. We'll take care of the rest of the monsters. *Leaves*
Yes, of c-course.

Yeah, she has a nervous tic in her speech. Which is weird, because she doesn't stutter at all during her voiced lines. Makes me think they forgot to add that in her VA notes or something.

Anyways, it's just clean-up since Ryo is gonna chill with his sisters now.

All 4 will attack when you melt the hill they're on, so having Kaze save some Guard Meter is helpful cause otherwise Corrin isn't surviving the onslaught.

Corrin, I seriously need you to gain defense at some point.

Rotating my crew so Rinkah gain some levels, since I'm going Birthright on the first run. Otherwise I would solo everything with Corrin.

This is a highly unusual level, considering the growths she has that I'll show later.

Those monsters would have caused a lot more damage if you hadn't come. I have to ask, though...Who are you?
Oh, my name is-

Er, yes. Nice to meet you properly.
Hinoka? Are you OK?

S-sorry...
Oh! Um...
Hinoka was so attached to you when you were little, Corrin.
When you were taken from us, she cried for months. One day she stopped crying and picked up the naginata. And I will say...if you ever find yourself facing the business end of her weapon....
...you will soon be filled with major regrets about your life decisions. She vowed to bring you back to us someday...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Part 3

But I'm just so happy to have you back. Take that, Nohrian scumbags! We win, you lose!
Wait...is this really Corrin?
Yes. I know it's big news. I'll fill you in on the whole story later. For now we should return to the castle before Nohr deploys more monsters.
Everyone, let's head home!
What were those things, anyway?

Creatures with no will of their own. Created by Nohrian mages.
I call 'em dead meat. But they're the only thing Nohr can throw at us right now. Our mother, Queen Mikoto, put up a magical barrier around our kingdom.

So long as Mother is able to keep the barrier up, Nohr can't invade Hoshido.

Uh...that sounds overpowered as hell.

That's why Nohr sends those...things. They have no souls-no will of their own. That's why they are able to penetrate the barrier and terrorize our borders.
But...the Nohrians wouldn't send monsters to terrorize innocent people...

Uh.............did you forget how you got here in the first place

See, she knows the deal

Sometimes the Faceless even turn on the mages who created them. But the Nohrians don't care. They're willing to sacrifice their own just to hurt others. I'll never forgive them for that, or for stealing you away. They'll pay for all the suffering they caused!
I can't believe it....

Oookay, moving on....

*Time passes as the group goes back to the castle*

*Corrin walks around further into the room*

Oh! That's a picture you drew when you were a little boy. This is your father, this is me, and that's you. It's so cute!
*sigh*
We couldn't bear to touch a thing in this room after you were taken. If we put your things away, it would have felt like giving up.
You've grown so much. I can't believe how handsome you are!

Oh?
I...I just don't know how to respond to your stories. I do believe I could be your child...But everyone here simply feels like a stranger to me.
I understand, Corrin. Please don't worry about it.
I'm so sorry. Here you are, maybe my real mother, and I don't feel anything.
Please. It makes sense.

That's an understatement.

You will need time to think all of this through and search your soul. But I hope that someday we can be a family again.
For now, please make yourself comfortable. Explore the castle, or stroll the grounds outside. You'll be safe here.

*Time passes*

Or about Camilla, Leo, and Elise....

*Singing suddenly heard*

Hm? What a beautiful song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXjvnOXusgk

BLUE STEEL

Er, hello. I'm sorry to bother you. I just got lost in your singing. There's something about that song that captivated me....
You must be Prince Corrin.
Yes. And you are?
I am Azura. A former princess of Nohr.

!!!

I grew up with the Nohrian royal family....
I'm afraid I've been here a long time. After you were taken by the Nohrians, the Hoshidan forces retaliated. They tried desperately to get you back, but they failed again and again.

I suppose we've both been hostages for most our lives...
Gods...I'm so sorry.
No, it's OK. I may technically be a hostage, but I've lived a happy life. The people of Hoshido have accepted me as one of their own. Even Queen Mikoto herself treats me as if I were her daughter.
Does she? Hmm...

"All my dad does is keep murdering me again and again and again"

No. I just...I just don't know what to do. She seems perfectly lovely, but I don't feel any connection to her. But she loves me. And so do all my blood siblings-who I've just met.
I understand. If I were to return to Nohr, I suspect I'd feel the same way.
Do you think you could start over there? Live a new life among strangers?
No. Given a choice, I would prefer to stay here in Hoshido. Queen Mikoto is a peace-loving ruler. King Garon is not.

I don't know. For now, I'm just going to spend some time thinking.

Tae fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 18, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Nobodies joined corrin permanently yet besides felecia.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, but I was meaning less anime and more for PCs.

Shadowrun, banner saga.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

The problem is finding good ones. Because if people can do whatever you can end up with Stella Glow and I can't think of any other ones from the 2010's.

Devil Survivor series, Metal Gear Acid, Wasteland 3, Invisible INC, etc.

I play lots of sprg, there's always 1-2 every few months and even more if you broaden to squad based turn based combat like Divinity: Original Sin.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Shadowrun pretty much uses the cover system of XCom except the outside-combat part is a full on CRPG like Pillars of Eternity or Baldur's gate.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The iwata asks fate interview was two developers and the hired writer.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Part 1

That's a fancy chair you got there

I am, yes.
I still have many questions, but at least now I have a few answers.
Thank you for giving me the space I needed to think.
Of course, I'm glad to hear you're feeling better.
If you wouldn't mind, I have a small favor to ask.

Why would I do that?
Well...this throne is infused with the power of the First Dragons. It is said that those who sit on it regain their true form and mind. I thought if you sat on the throne, then perhaps-

Sit on the drat chair, you have nothing to hide and you literally trusted everything else immediately

No! It has nothing to do with trust.
I just wonder if the Nohrians have been sealing away your early memories...If so, maybe this special throne could help bring those lost pieces back. Those sweet memories of me and your siblings....
I see.

I'm sorry, Corrin. I don't mean to push you toward something you don't want.

Thank you, Yukimura.
Corrin, you probably don't remember him, but this is Yukimura. He's one of our strategists and brightest leaders. We would be lost without him!
You are too kind, milady. Though in truth, I still have much to learn. That said, I am here to help in any way I can, Lord Corrin.

*The siblings arrive*

There have been rumors circulating about spies from Nohr infiltrating the castle.
I would like to quash those rumors once and for all. Yukimura, is everything ready?
Yes, milady. People are beginning to gather at the plaza.
Excellent. Thank you. Corrin, I've arranged for Takumi, Hinoka, and Sakura to give you a tour. I thought you might want to get to know the are a little bit before this event. I need to speak with Yukimura first, but I'll meet you at the plaza soon.
We'd be happy to show him around. Thank you, Mother.

Not at all. It would be my pleasure.
Thank you, Azura.
Of course, Corrin.

I can't wait to show you around! I think you'll l-love it here.
Thank you, Sakura. A guided tour sounds like a great idea.

*Everyone but Ryoma and Yukimura leaves*

Yes, I can't imagine the position he's in. It's a lot to process. That said, I think his return is a message from the gods.
A good message, I hope.
Why do you say that?
I don't know. After that invasion up north, I just feel uneasy. We should remain on high alert, if you ask me.

*Time passes*

They're delicious and nutritious! I guarantee you'll love 'em.
Well...sure! Why not? Mmm...I've never tasted spices like these before. This is amazing!
Ha ha! Told ya! Here, take an extra one on the house. Share it with your lady friend!
Well, thank you very much! Here you go, Azura.
Thank you, Corrin. Mmm, you're right. This is delicious.

It's quite a contrast from the fortress I grew up in.
I'm glad you like it. Like I said, I've always been happy here.

BROTHERRRRRRRR

Pardon me?
I don't trust you. Shouldn't you be heading back to Nohr soon?
Takumi...
Hey, who said you could me by name? You haven't earned that privilege either.

Uh, I understand being suspicious of Corrin because he randomly came out nowhere, but hasn't Azura been there for at least like a few years....?

That doesn't even make sense.
Excuse me?
Azura has been in Hoshido for as long as I've been gone. Shouldn't that be enough to consider her part of the family?

Oh god, even Corrin sees it

I apologize for Takumi's rudeness. He's a bit of a hothead. Anyway, how'd you like to try a sweet rice dumpling? It's a Hoshidan specialty!
I'd love to. Thanks, Sakura!
You're welcome!
You know, I'm very close with a girl in Nohr who's around your age.

"She's technically an adult, like you are!"

uh...........

No! Actually, she's my-
All right, everyone. The ceremony is starting. Let's head to the plaza!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpgBFiGFE_o

The people gathered at the plaza

Mama Miko gives an assuring smile

The suicidal sword suddenly has an eye

why the gently caress do you still have that sword

Suddenly, the force!

This can't be goo-

WELP

And now the sword shatters into pieces!

Jesus christ, how much does dad want Corrin dead?!?!

Well poo poo

This is either the most foolproof double-downed plan to kill one man, or the most convoluted attempt to murder a single person in Hoshido

But wait, if the latter is the goal then why would they even bot-:psyduck:

I'm fine...
I'm so glad....

Mother...Mother!

Show yourself!

He's going nova!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Part 2

It's an ancient dragon. I never thought I'd see the day.

Watch out for enemies carrying Wyrmslayers! They're a type of blade designed to pierce dragon scales-and they work!

Uh, thanks Azura...?

Alright, lesse how Corrin is doing

Well, aren't you a big boy? Draconic Rage is a 15 mt weapon that can't double, but who cares. That is more powerful than most weapons in the entire game.

Azura is your typical Dancer except with a lance.

Healing Descant-Allies within 2 spaces heal 10% hp at the start of turn
Luck+4

Ryoma is facing off against the killer, which shouldn't be a problem because Ryo is broken as fu-

-uuuh? The hell, those are like 20/20 endgame stats.

He's got a Kodachi equipped, which is a 1-2 sword equivalent of the Hand Axe and Javelin. All three of these reduce your speed by 5, can't double, and can't proc crits or abilities. They super nerfed them to make the actual ranged weapons better (except Hidden Weapons are busted, but hey baby steps).

Sidenote, I got confused with steel weapons reducing speed. They reduce your ability to do doubles, the 1-2 generic melee weapons straight up make you slower.

Dark Mages are in Fates with a new ability called Malefic Aura-Enemies within a 2 tile radius receive 2 extra damage from magical attacks.

So, we have a problem here. The two mercs on the middle-left can basically one-shot everyone but Corrin. The pair-up on the bottom both have Wyrmslayers which combined with the mage, can kill Corrin easily.

The right side isn't that much better, because Corrin still dies to the Wyrmslayer+mage combo. The plan is to stack everyone outside the enemy range and bumrush it to make some space. Corrin can one-shot all the enemies, which will be key to survival.

Heh heh heh....

He has reason to laugh. Ryo has absolutely no chance against this guy. Thankfully nothing happens if he loses the duel, so don't feel too rushed to save him.

So these enemies we're facing aren't normal. They turn invisible-ish during combat like spirits.

Be careful, everyone! These enemies are no mere Faceless. One wrong move and they're perfectly capable of ending you.
I hope we can count on Corrin even in this new form...

Corrin takes out the Wyrmslayer, then Kaze gets support from Rinkah to build up some guard meter so he can be more resilient for the left side.

This turn's an easy clean-up with Corrin taking out one, and Kaze taking out the other with Azura's help. Corrin gains like 3 EXP per kill, so there's real no benefit to having him solo everything.

"Strength," he says

I like the battle damage details Fate has, as Ryo's head gear fell off while being down to critical damage.

Oh by the way, he's defeated next turn

You can kill me, but you cannot kill the spirit of Hoshido!
Brother, no! You have to step back! We can't afford to lose you...
Ugh...you're right. I'll retreat for now...

The leader just hangs around and doesn't move once he defeats Ryoma, so the mission is just to clear out the rest of the mooks for now.

Kaze takes on the approaching mages with a full guard meter, clearing out the more difficult equation of the combo.

Dark Mage reinforcements arrive in the corners circled on the map, but it'll take them a turn to reach us.

Kaze chips in for extra EXP since the Wyrmslayer can't kill Corrin in one turn, so the risk is worth it.

Yay, actual strength.

Azura gains like 15 exp every turn, so she'll eventually be one of our highest level units. Not like that'll actually matter stat-wise since Dancers are still frail as hell, but at least her level cap is 40.

A few turns later, Corrin reaches the killer and shows that he too has endgame stats.

Show me what you got. Heh heh heh....

Sakura got a level because Corrin kept missing way more than he should.

Finally goes down after like 6 turns.

Urgh...Not bad. heh. Heh. Heh...

Where's my goddamn defense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zKogAqZzsM

Suddenly, there's singing

Do NOT interrupt singing!!

Oh, Corrin no like singing

Still singing

I think he made it clear about his opinion on your singing by now

Kill me if you want, but...do it as yourself.

What's the count on "kill me to save yourself" cause I feel like it's been a few

Seriously, what kind of dragon is that with no face

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Part 3

So that whole thing happened.

Wait, more plot!

*huff* *huff* Ughhh....I...I finally remember! I remember....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG-D0KEFVgQ

I can't believe murder king dad is a murder king!

Apparently a billion arrows isn't enough, gotta double-tap with the axe!

Wait, isn't Mikoto alive still

BAD TOUCH

Are you all right, Corrin?
Yes, I'm fine. Just disgusted with myself. Are you OK? I can't believe what I just did to you. It was like...I had no control over myself.
Please don't worry about it. That wasn't you.
It was the blood of the ancient dragon that runs in your veins.
I thought only the Nohrian royal family had dragon blood.

And the blood of the Dawn Dragon runs through ours.
But you're special, Corrin. You can actually take the form of a dragon.
I've heard of such a thing. But this is my first time seeing it in real life...
Never mind me. What happened to all the innocent people in town?

That didn't all come from that one explosion, right? Hoshido getting a little lazy with super magical barrier on all the time.

I can't believe this. The entire town...devastated. An hour ago these streets were filled with vendors and children and...
So you see, Corrin. This is the work of the Nohrians. This is what they do. Let me guess. That sword you carried...was it a gift from King Garron?
Yes.

WHY DID YOU STILL CARRY THE SWORD THAT LITERALLY THREW YOU OFF A CLIFF

"Hey, this sword of mine floated and plunged me down into the bottomless canyon, CAN YOU TAKE A LOOK AT THIS????"

He masterminded this whole thing. It's not your fault.
He knew you'd be captured and brought before the queen...

He PLANNED for Lilith to turn into a dragon and save Corrin, therefore Rinkah or someone will just take him alive back to Hoshido??? What?

WHAT

Your apology means NOTHING.
This is all your fault! Mother is dead, along with countless others. And it wouldn't have happened if you hadn't showed up on our doorstep.
You don't belong here!
Enough, Takumi!
Your words won't change anything. And besides-
Shut up, Azura! You're no different than Corrin. An interloper.
Takumi...
Don't speak my name. I don't ever want to see you again. Are we really to believe you had no idea this would happen?

Well he's either a mastermind or really loving stupid. They don't know it's the latter.

Takumi, what are you saying? Knock it off! You just saw Corrin help us defeat those Nohrian soldiers!
Takumi, please. You must listen. Corrin is your brother. If you don't trust me, that's one thing. But Corrin is your own blood.
Mother is dead. Thanks to him. He's not my brother.

Actually, you are the only one with remotely the same hair color as Corrin. Technically....

If would be better if I'd never come here-maybe I should just leave.
Please wait. I don't believe that's what Queen Mikoto would have wanted.
What would you know about it, Yukimura?
What do you mean? Did she say something to you?
I hate to deliver this news, but....

Don't do the "she foresaw her own death" cliche

This isn't your fault, Corrin. King Garon set these events in motion. And the queen speculated that there may be an even darker force at work. She didn't know when or how death would strike, only that it was certain. And there's one other thing. Please take a look at that statue.

Was that inside the statue or something?

It can't be...
It is. The divine sword Yato. Much like your weapon, Ryoma. The divine Raijinto....And your Fujin Yumi, Takumi....Yato may be wielded by only a singular warrior. One who is chosen by the blade itself.

The key to peace...

Hey guess what

It's a miracle!

Impossible.
Corrin, do you know what this means?
Corrin? Are you listening? Can you h-hear us?

Yato is a slightly weaker steel sword with no drawback, and has the usual katana bonuses of +1 SPD, -1 DEF/RES.

A massive Nohrian force is gathering at our border.
This is the final straw. I have worked hard to avoid an all-out war, but now...
Death is too good for them. Who's with me?

But I feel I must follow Ryoma to the border. If I can help avert total war...
Wait, Corrin! There's something you need to know. If you become embroiled in a fight right now, it would be easy to lose control. Your dragon blood could take over again. And if you yield completely to the dragon, you may lose your humanity altogether.
Is there anything I can do?

Oh, he's a Manakete now.

It will allow you to control the dragon's power and still return to your human form. Now, please close your eyes...
Very well...

There. You should be OK now. This Dragonstone is now attuned to you. Be sure to keep it safe.
Thank you, Azura. I don't know what I'd do without you.
Oh! Um...
I'm sorry. Did I make you uncomfortable?
I know we've known each other only a short while, but I feel close to you.
You already risked your life to help calm my dragon form.
I only hope I can repay the favor someday.
Thank you, Corrin.

I wish to keep you safe too. That's why I'm coming with you to face Nohr.

Yeah you are. I ain't leaving town without a Dancer.

Dragonstones in Fate are interesting. They are 14 MT weapons, but they count as magic weapons and are only 1 range. You can't double in dragon form, but your stats change with +4 DEF, +3 and -3 SKL, -2 SPD. You change into a magical tank unit that hits hard once.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

cokerpilot posted:

Can Ryoma actually win that fight or with RNG luck or are the numbers scripted on it?

I replayed chapter 5 like a dozen times because it's been a while since I played Birthright style (Getting Kaze+Rinkah EXP). Ryo always survives at least 3 turns, and anything after that is RNG.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Part 1

Xander! I'm fine. But...why are you invading Hoshido?!
Father says it's time to show our true strength.

What a coincidence

Join us, and we'll end this quickly! If we conquer Hoshido here and now, we can avoid unnecessary bloodshed.
Xander...I...I need a minute.

Ryoma....

*Nohrians royals arrive*

I'm glad you're OK, Corrin. You must have the devil's own luck!

If you played this game before, you would know they're trying really hard to make devil's own luck his catchphrase.

It is one of his few voiced lines.

Yaay! We got our brother back!

Corrin is MY brother, not yours!
You are mistaken. Corrin is my sweet little brother. You may not have him.
Don't be fooled by their words. You belong with your true family in Hoshido!
We have loved you and raised you since you were a child. Come home, little prince. We can live as a family once more!
Come home to Hoshido, Corrin!
No, Corrin! Nohr is your home!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-5N9XZwCF8

My family...

WHO WILL HE CHOOSE

Birthright is the choice that was already decided, if you somehow skipped straight to here.

With Corrin officially a Hoshidan, all the title cards are now in the sakura petals on both sides.

Corrin...Don't tell me you're siding with Hoshido.
I'm afraid so. I've made up my mind-I stand with Hoshido.
I feared the Hoshidans might try to brainwash you...I am well aware of your Hoshidan lineage. It is true that we lack common blood.

You KNEW???

No matter what anyone says, you are my brother, Corrin. I know that Camilla, Leo, and Elise feel the same way. And Father will forgive you. I know it.

pfft

You are of Nohr! Return to us, Corrin!
I'm sorry. I can't go back.
King Garon is a coward and a liar. I've witnessed enough of his destruction.
Causing an explosion in a crowded city center with no regard for innocent life...

Quick flashback there.

Tell me. If King Garon thinks of me as family...
How could he have orchestrated this attack? I could have easily been killed along with Queen Mikoto.
The truth is that I was just a pawn. Collateral damage. King Garon was willing to sacrifice my life in pursuit of his agenda.

Father...evil? How could you say that, little prince?

YOU KNEW CORRIN WAS ORPHANED, WHAT

Xander, please...Join me! Join me and help put an end to his cruelty!
Corrin...

Rude

Traitor? Brother, wait!
Enough. I never thought you would turn your back on your kingdom and your family. Your betrayal will not be forgiven. You want to side with Hoshido? Fine.
Over my dead body!
Xander!

Ow. Stop that

I will not rest until I've returned you to your senses. Get up! Get up and return to Nohr with me. Surely there's some part of you that still remembers your true family.
Brother, my mind is made up.
If that's the case...
I will end this quickly.
Wait!

Hey, Ryo. Wow, you took your goddamn time to get here.

Ryoma! Please, we can settle this peacefully.
What's wrong, Corrin? Lost your focus?
Tossing your sword aside and dying as a martyr won't do us any good.
Fiend! If you see to take my brother from me, I won't go easy on you.

A splendid idea. I've yearned to introduce you to a dear friend of mine-the dark blade Siegfried!
Camilla, Leo, Elise! Are you ready?
Darling, I was born ready. Let's kill them all quickly so we can make it home in time for Corrin's nap.
You're coming with us-that's all there is to it. Understood, Corrin?
Yay! We're gonna take Corrin back home!

*whispers* I think the Nohrian family is going a little nutz

Corrin has made his choice. All that remains is to spill your blood and wipe my divine sword clean.
Hinoka, Takumi, Sakura! Steel yourselves...
I'll be your shield, Corrin. They won't kidnap you again.
Stupid Nohrian jerks! I'll kill all of you!
I'm r-ready. I won't let them hurt you, Corrin.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

He's slow because he's slow

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The paths bought in this method also only cost 20 dollars instead of 40 (Outside of the random Best Buys currently selling Conquest for 20). Revelation can only be bought as DLC unless you got one of those special editions that cost 80 bucks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Part 2

Where the hell were you?!?!

Felicia? No, we're far from OK. But there's no time to explain right now. Your timing is terrible. What are you doing here now?
How can you say that? I've been looking for you this whole time!
Anyway, I'm here now, and I'll stand by your side!

So this mission is a bit of an auto-win situation, especially considering the difficulty of the last two chapters. Sakura, Kaze, Rinkah, Azura, and Felicia officially join the party. The rest of the Hoshidan siblings are controllable but won't gain EXP.

The objective is to just beat Xander.

Xander is showing off more of his true capabilities and good lord, Siegfried! Basically a 1-2 silver sword that also gives +4 DEF to an already beefy unit.

Of course, this is what I mean by auto-win. Ryo absolutely destroys Xander with all the skills setup, since his Duelist's Blow gives +30 avoid when starting combat. The actual mission for me is to siphon as much EXP as possible to the rest of the party.

PSkill: Rose's Thorn-Adjacent allies deal 3 extra damage and receive 1 less damage

Camilla is Malig Knight, a promoted class of Wyvern Riders that uses axes and spells. The real draw of Camilla is her PSkill, which majorly improves any units' damage near her with a little damage reduction.

PSkill: Lily's Pose-Adjacent allies deal 1 extra damage and received 3 less damage

Elise is your standard Troubadour, with the literal reverse PSkill of Camilla. Makes tanks way better, but she's at risk of being sniped by random bow and hidden tool users since she has to be right next to the frontlines. Really unfair that Sakura gets both a 1-2 range heal and PSkill in comparison.

PSkill: Pragmatic-When enemy’s HP is not full, damage +3 and damage received -1 during the battle

Brynhildr is a 10 mt tome with a SKL% chance of halving magic attack. Good, but nothing absurd like Raijinto or Siegfried. Leo thrives in a battlefield after a first skirmish if you can't tell.

Heartseeker is the other Dark Mage ability, which reduces avoid by 20 to adjacent enemies. It's risky to put Dark Mages right next to the enemy, but their main problem is actually hitting so it's a nice risk/reward thing.

PSkill: Competitive-When user is the lead unit and their Level is lower than their support unit’s Level, Critical rate +10, damage +3 and damage received -1

Competitive is a weird skill. You're basically forcing a higher level unit on your party to disappear to give Takumi extra power. I guess Corrin can eventually be that, since his skills gives him faster EXP I guess? It's not like he needs the PSkill because he has

The Fujin Yumi. Yeah, that's right. 14 mt, default +2 resistance for a Yumi, and an ability that basically lets him dominate forested and sandy areas.

Combined that with Quick Draw, a default level 10 Archer ability that gives +4 damage when attacking, and he's one-shotting most enemies without effort.

And this is just to highlight that the male royal members get awesome super weapons and the females get good PKSkills. Kind of a rip-off if you ask me.

Ryo is going to hide in the forest and hope that Xander doesn't accidentally kill himself until Corrin's group get as much EXP as possible.

Nice thing about this chapter is that soldiers in the background are gathered as they watch a duel between two royals.

Wasted EXP, but I need to kill Leo since he's the sturdiest and most dangerous of the enemies outside of Xander.

Won't you come back to Nohr with us?
Gods...Camilla...I wish it didn't have to be this way.
I can't believe it.

Corrin in dragon form is can easily take on Camilla, though I guess plot-wise they're showing constraint to not kill Corrin.

Also nobody really comments on "Holy poo poo, you can turn into a DRAGON??"

DRAGO HEADBUTT

How could you let his happen, Corrin?

Killing enemies helps more people in a way, yes.

Hey guys, how are you guys doing over there

Oh, a laser show! Cool, cool.

gently caress you, Siegfried.

Luckily, Xander's RES is not nearly as stout so Corrin can get a good hit in.

So, you've chosen to take up arms against your own brother...It's not too late for all to be forgiven. Come back to Nohr with us.
I can't do that, Xander. I've made my decision, and I stand by it.
How unfortunate. You leave me no choice. If force is the only thing that can make you listen to reason, so be it!
Xander!

HEADBUTT OF DEATH

How is this possible? We must retreat! This isn't' over, Corrin...

Oookay I guess Corrin is just going to gain magic now. At least he's finally gaining that DEF consistently.

Dragon Fang:-Skill x.0.75% chance of adding 50% of the user’s Attack Power as damage

You remember that sick combo Corrin used on Hans? This is basically it.

*Nohr army retreats*

Corrin...I can understand why you reluctant to fight. If it would make you feel better, you can leave the fighting to me and Ryoma.
No. Burying my head in the sand won't change the reality of the situation. I will stand with you. And the rest of Hoshido.
Very well.
I know this is the right choice. Even if it's the hardest one I've ever had to make. I have to believe this is the path that will eventually lead to peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WmsB6SNbvc

*Suddenly, something appeared*

The fuq?

Huh?! Wait...that's not OUR Lilith, is it?
Actually...it is.
Oh! So, um, when did Lilith become...erm, an adorable creature thing?
It's kind of a long story. I'll explain later. Come on! I want to show you something before we catch up with the others.

Erm, I'll explain that later too....

*A moment later*

I'm so sorry for frightening you, Felicia! Please, allow me to explain...

*Things are explained*

Lord Corrin...I know the choice you just made was a difficult one. From here on out, you and your allies will continue down your chosen path. I promise to do everything in my power t help you on your journey.
As such, please feel free to use this astral plane to rest or prepare for battle.
Thank you, Lilith. Your kindness and support are very much appreciated.

Long story short: you can use them to customize your castle as you see fit. Let's try it right now. I'll help!

Next time: An intermission to explore Fate's Castle system

Units Joined

Sakura

Class sets: Starts as Shrine Maiden, Sky Knight
PSkill: Quiet Strength-Allies within a 2 tile radius receive 2 less damage

Growth Rates
HP: 45
STR: 35
MAG: 60
SKL: 22
LCK: 70
DEF: 30
RES: 40

Sakura has a power ability that's helped greatly by Hoshidans having access to 1-2 heal staves. Other than that, WOW at her SPD and MAG growth. Normally, Miracle is a bad skill but with her obscene LCK growth, it might actually save you once in a while.

Azura

Class sets: Starts as Songstress, Sky Knight
PSkill: Healing Descant-Allies within a 2 tile radius recover 10% HP at the start of the user’s Turn

Growth Rates
HP: 25
STR: 60
MAG: 25
SKL: 80
SPD: 80
LCK: 60
DEF: 15
RES: 35

It's a bit of a shame Dancer is so important because what the gently caress are those growths. That's probably the closest to a literal glass cannon in Fire Emblem.

Kaze

Class sets: Starts as Ninja, Samurai
PSkill: Miraculous Save-When user is the support unit, the lead unit has a Luck% chance of surviving a fatal attack with 1 HP

Growth Rates
HP: 60
STR: 45
MAG: 0
SKL: 65
SPD: 85
LCK: 20
RES: 50

If Kaze didn't gain SPD on a level, something went horrible wrong. With a decent RES growth, Kaze can easily specialize into an anti-mage option should the need arise, though his low LCK growth sucks considering his PSkill.

Rinkah

Class sets: Starts as Oni Savage, Ninja
PSkill: Fiery Blood-When user’s HP is not full, damage +4

Growth Rates
HP: 40
STR: 45
MAG: 25
SKL: 50
LCK: 35
DEF: 65
RES: 20

Looks can be deceiving. Rinkah seems like a hard hitting, HP sponge but in reality she's a speedy physical tank...with lowish HP growths. The best use of her is probably having her gulp an HP Tonic at the start of every battle to get her PSkill active immediately and improve her endurance.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Omobono posted:

E: a thought: why the hell was baby Corrin within arm's reach of dad :moreevil:? Didn't they have their fancy mind control barrier preventing hostiles from engaging in hostilities within Hoshido? Did they state that the barrier went up after the kidnapping and I missed it?

It was explained earlier. Sumeragi was invited by Garon on a "peace talk" and was ambushed in Nohr. Corrin was a a tag along and presumably was blocking the arrows for Corrin.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The best Anti-mage unit is still technically Felicia because she learns Tomebreaker at level 15 (way before anyone can promote usually) and Hidden Weapons have advantage over Tomes. Having 50 extra avoid means she can solo mages, while Kaze can still get in trouble if the enemy starts doing tag-team assaults, his RES isn't THAT godly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

MyCastle Chapter 6.5

Let me show you how.

Welcome to Fates' MyCastle. It's basically your be-all end-all for shopping, supports, forging, etc.

Options are limited right now, with weapon and rod shops only available for now.

Statues basically raise the stat cap when placed, so in this case a Corrin statue raises the DEF cap by 1. When a character gets 20 kills, they have a statue and each other is specific to a stat I.E. Rinkah=STR, Kaze=SPD, etc.

Basically, the best way is to rotate in characters for the minimum kills to get free stat caps.

You can build your castle bit by bit the further you get in your adventures. Eventually, it will truly reflect you and your personality-a Fort Corrin! With that, I'll take my leave.

DVP is basically a point after every mission, including DLC and such.

Alright, let's go explore the castle. I'm going to explain things as the options open up in between missions, since there's enough to do honestly.

The first thing of course is opening up the menu. Got your standard convoy to move equipment around, skill management, and supports.

I'm going to build a rod shop first, because weapons aren't a high priority right now and there's more relevant stuff in this store. Plus, staves are the only weapons that run out of uses so Sakura needs to be kept lock and loaded.

Random guy is manning the shop right now, but as the party grows, an actual party member will take over and sometimes give discounts on stuff.

Sun Festal is just a Mend version of Bloom Festal. That Rescue Stave is tempting, but too much money for now.

The shop also has all the tonics, another reason why to open the Rod Shop first. Generally HP Tonic for Rinkah and DEF Tonic for the tanks are safe options.

Alright, let's get into this.

Heart Seal: Changes a character to their alt class. I've been listing characters with a different class besides their current one, and this is why. This is how you change Sakura and Azura to a Sky Knight, and Corrin to a Samurai.

Now if you use a Heart Seal on Felicia, she can change into a Strategist (Mage Knight, Valkyrie of past games), Hero, or Bow Knight. The latter is because she has the Mercenary.

For skills, character gain the skill of their new class on the next level. Sakura switching to Sky Knight and then leveling up will have her learn Darting Blow.

Partner Seal: A character can change to their S rank partner's base class.

Pretty simple. Any exceptions will be covered by the next seal.

Friendship Seal: A character can change to their A+ rank partner's base class.

So A+ is new to Fates, which is basically an extra rank with a same sex character. There's no extra dialogue or anything, and it doesn't take up an S rank slot. It's basically there to have more class options.

The other thing about A+ is that one character initiating it does not take up the slot of the other character I.E. Ryoma A+ with Corrin, Corrin can still A+ with another guy like Kaze.

So there's the basic scenarios with S and A+ rank about base class adopting:

-Scenario 1: If Kaze and Sakura achieve an S-Support, Kaze will gain the Monk class while Sakura will gain the Ninja class.

-Scenario 2: If Felicia and Jacob achieve an S-Support, each will gain each others secondary class if they use the seal since both have Servant as their base class.

-Scenario 3: If Hinoka and Sakura achieve an A+ Support, Hinoka will gain access to Shrine Maiden, while Sakura will gain nothing, since her secondary class is the Sky Knight class.

-Scenario 4: If Azura and a Manakete achieve an S-Support, Azura will gain access to whatever game alternative instead of the Manakete class while the Manakete will gain access to the Sky Knight class instead of the Songstress class. It's like how Donny gives Dark Flier to his kid because Villager can't be inherited back in Awakening

-Scenario 5: If Corrin with the secondary class of Oni Savage and Rinkah achieve an S-Support, Corrin will still "gain access" to the Oni Savage class while Rinkah gains access to the Nohrian variant of the Oni Savage class, the Fighter class.

Time to get random stuff!

Monkey Spirit: D rank Scroll. 4 mt. 1-2 range. +1 SKL/SPD, +2 RES, -4 LCK.

A really good Fire for Hoshidan mages, the D rank means characters need to be a little skilled in spell slinging before being able to use it.

Paper: E rank. 1 mt. 1-2 range. +1 SPD, bronze weapon properties.

Bronze weapon, with +1 SPD because Hoshido.

Characters can also get random boosts on stats. If you played Awakening or the FE12 translation, it's the same concept here.

Record Hall is basically how you see supports, cutscenes, and hubba shenanigans. I don't like this change, because if you want to see supports, you have to load in a game instead of just doing it from the main menu.

Private Quarters is where you get extra support points, more important in Conquest because that game doesn't have random stages available to grind out bond points.

You can change Corrin's hairstyle in here. I'm keeping him the same because this is box canon run and I'm going going to recapture every single face again

So the treehouse shows a list of characters you can talk to but only the ones with hearts get actual support points. And once you choose, you used up your visit for the time being.

Sup, Kaze

Wait, Corrin plays the piano??

Each character has a lot of lines, and they're all voiced so that's kinda neat.

Lilith gets her own temple, that greedy dragon

So this is a good time to tell you that Fates has this whole extensive multiplayer thing that involves building defenses and healing and raising stats to defend, etc. I'm not doing any of that ever so for this temple's purpose, it's just feeding Lilith random food we pick up from nearby trees.

So the only real mechanic Lilith has outside of multiplayer is that she gives free gold bars every 3 levels. I mean, that's like two tonics I guess....?

Finally, there's the Crystal Ball.

Most of these options? Useless for this LP. I have an OG 3ds, I couldn't do amiibos even if I wanted to. However, Bonuses is another thing...

You get bonus items based on if you have the other games. The total inventory is:
2 Dread Fighter seals
2 Dragon Herbs (+1 all stats)
2 Boots (+1 movement)
2 Dark Flier seals

Not going to use the class changes until later on unless there's a REAL big demand after I get the other special classes.

And that's it for now. These Mycastle updates will be in between chapters as their own thing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Supports

C rank
Felicia?! What's wrong? Why are you curling up on the floor again?!

Popular? With...the ladies?

Does the ninja understand?

Do you really miss my spooky stories?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

C RANK Support

Hoping to make friends? I'm sorry to disappoint you.

Do you just not like me all that much?

Please wait, Mr. Sheeeeeet!

W-will you promise not to laugh?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Missing stuff is what the third game is for.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Part 1

Here's the first view of how chapters work in Fate. You got Next Chapter which is explanatory. Dragon's Gate is DLC access. Difficulty is the option to turn it down (you can never raise it up), and the last two aren't available for Conquest.

Challenge is basically the random battles in Awakening, and Scout is paying gold to get more Challenges.

Man, that fort looks really impressive. Really puts into perspective how they're fighting in reality.

...Actually, this makes them throwing shurikens through walls even more confusing :psyduck:

Personal hot take: I hate the pigeon-toe stance Azura has in her model.

What is this place?
This is Fort Jinya. Sakura is already here, tending to wounded soldiers and citizens. Let's go and help her.
By all means.

Oh right, that giant explosion thanks to daddy's sword. That had consequence.

Corrin! Thank you for coming!
Is everything OK, Sakura? I'm here to help.
Yes, but thank goodness you're here. We're really short staffed.

Han a is the designated Samurai, Subaki is the Sky Knight. Technically not the first male Pegasus rider because Pegasus Knight is an actual, different class. Technicalities....?

Nice to meet both of you.
I'm afraid you probably know a lot more about me than I know about either of you.
That's OK, Corrin. I'm sure you'll be fast friends in no time. Hana and Subaki are my retainers-always close at hand and ready to help.
Ah, I see. Well, we should have plenty of time to relax and get to know-

Seriously? We haven't been here five minutes.
Yes, well...the Nohrian soldiers haven't wasted any time surrounding us.
Unbelievable.
I can't believe they'd attack at at time like this...We're using most of the fort as a makeshift hospital-there's no military target here! Why can't they just leave us alone?

With my help, of course. If you'd like, Lady Sakura, you may remain with the wounded while we resolve this.
I'll consider it. Thank you. Both of you.
Well then. I guess we'll be getting to know each other in a hurry. Nothing like a life-or-death-situation to cut right through the small talk.

Is Corrin a way different character or is it just me

As you command, Lord Corrin! As Lady Sakura's lead retainer, it will be my pleasure to take your orders.
And as Lady Sakura's supervising retainer, I, too, welcome your leadership.
Supervising retainer? That's not a thing.
Well, neither is lead retainer. I don't remember you getting a promotion.
Lady Sakura and I have been best friends since childhood! I've ALWAYS been her lead retainer.
I"m not sure this is the time or place for such a discussion, but...
I believe my results on the battlefield speak for themselves.

Oh no, it turns out Sakura has died from the enemy because you two won't shut up

Oh, so is that why you neglect all your nonbattle duties? Is that why I'm the one maintaining all of our gear and scouting the enemy?
Guys, um...

You're embarrassing yourselves-and me!
Corrin, please don't let this juvenile display deceive you. Hana and Subaki are both extremely capable on the battlefield. And they're both going to set aside this petty argument and help you, right?
Of course, milady.
Certainly. Expect perfection, and you will not be disappointed.
Excellent. I'm glad to have your support.

We must protect our wounded!
Of course.

Class Overview: Ninja, Shrine Maiden, and Songstress

Ninja

Pair-up Bonus: +1 SKL/MOV, +3 SPD
Weapon rank: Hidden Tools (B)
Skills: (lvl 1) Locktouch-User can open doors and chests without requiring keys
(lvl 10) Poison Strike-When user triggers the battle, the enemy’s HP is reduced by 20% after the battle

Ninja's do one thing well, and that is to make life miserable for the enemy. If debuffing stats wasn't enough, Poison Strike makes sure even the most stout defenses falter eventually.

The pair-up bonus is great, as it gives high SPD which anyone wants and +1 movement, which only one other Hoshidan class gives.

Shrine Maiden

Pair-up Bonus: +2 MAG/LCK/RES
Weapon rank: Staves (B)
Skills: (lvl 1): Miracle-Luck% chance of leaving the user with 1 HP when they have 2 or more HP
(lvl 10): Rally Luck-Luck +8 to all allies within a 2 tile radius for one Turn when the “Rally” command is used

Listen, I'm gonna be honest. Shrine Maiden outside of being in a game where 2 range heal staves are sold, are mediocre to bad as a unit. Both skills are meh, and the pair-up bonus is sub-par considering what other classes give.

Songstress

Pair-up Bonus: +2 SKL/SPD, +4 LCK
Weapon rank: Lances (C)
Skills: (lvl 1) Luck +4
(lvl 10) Inspiring Song-SKL, SPD and LK +3 for one Turn for the unit who receives the user’s song
(lvl 25) Voice of Peace-Enemies within a 2 tile radius deal 2 less physical damage
(lvl 35) Foreign Princess- Enemies within a 2 tile radius deal 2 less damage and receive 2 extra damage

At least Fate isn't pretending Azura is aspiring to wield high tier lances. A Dancer can have no skills and still be one of the best units, but Songstress does give small benefits like buffing a unit and keeping damage reduced around her protectors.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Part 2

Here's Fort Jinya looks like in battle. Annoying enough, Hana and Subaki way in the back and can't be moved in preparation.

PSkill: Perfectionist-When user’s HP is at maximum, Hit rate and Avoid +15

The first flyer for the team, Subaki has some decent bulk thanks to his base+Iron Naginata. However, no amount of bulk will help if a bow is nearby.

PSkill: Fearsome Blow-When user triggers the battle and defeats an enemy, enemies adjacent to the user have their HP reduced by 20%

I don't like Hana. She's a Myrmidon taken to the nth degree, except this isn't the GBA games where dodging is reliable. Super low defenses no thanks to Katana decreases. The Personal Skill is also a blank for the most part, since that basically requires her to charge into a mob which is never a good idea for anyone, let alone her.

This is like the first time they didn't reveal the name already.

Who's asking?
Yes, that's the voice I remember. It IS really you!
Please, drop the act. We don't know each other.
You honestly don't remember? It's me, Silas! We were best friends as children.
I don't remember much, I'm afraid.

I promise that I am telling the truth. However, it seems we are destined to clash swords regardless of our past...

Oookay, Imma just have Kaze open the chest at the start. Got a Seraph Robe which is cool, because 90% of our party is fragile as hell.

Corrin's going to advance and open up a Dragon Vein to make a healing pool. The pair-up enemy won't move an inch no matter what, so there's some safety.

Rinkah gets the first kill of the map, thanks to Felicia weakening the Fighter. This'll be a common strategy because grunts in Fate are somewhat bulkier and faster, which makes it harder to kill in one turn. Plus, offense is severely downgraded because of the nerf to pair-ups.

For your sake, it'd better not happen again.

Corrin is super tough in dragon mode to the point that he can honestly solo the map. Of course, the problem is that he's currently earning small EXP despite his skills.

Felicia is oddly very tanky today as well. She goes to lvl 6, increasing MAG/SPD/LCK/RES.

The next few turns is Rinkah beasting while being boosted by Subaki's +SPD and wrecking the mob gathered.

The bottom enemies are a lot tougher, that even Rinkah is taking some big damage.

But that helps a bunch.

This situation is by far the biggest difference in how to approach enemies that are paired-up. Essentially wasting a turn and hoping not to take too much counterattack to waste their guard meter is annoying, especially on maps with a time limit.

Behold, Hana's personal skill

...Yeah. It's real bad. You have Ninjas for Poison Strike effects, just stick to that.

Kaze's butt is glowing

It's super effective?

Whatever works, I guess

jeez christ

WHY DO YOU START AT LEVEL 4

*Many battles later*

Everything but SPD and RES. Sad day when Felicia has more HP than mighty fire tribe clubber.

I can't believe Subaki/Hana was even a contest. For heavens sake, he's even beating axe users better than her.

So he has officially 1 point of MAG now

Sakuura hasn't actually done much healing, I realized.

Cleaning up the middle and opening that chest before taking care of Silas.

I haven't shown it, but I got 10k extra gold from enemy drops. Also, Armorslayer is nice for now since I don't have a Mage currently.

So these three Cavs have been hanging around doing nothing until I kill all the other troops first.

Well, Silas is no slouch I guess.

Uh, handicap for Hana?

Nerf Corrin

I never imagined that we'd reunite under these circumstances. I became a knight in the hope of seeing you again, but...
Silas...I simply don't remember my past.

How...what? Did Garon's mind wipe affect in general your ability to remember? This sub-plot seems poorly thought out.

That's OK. You can still come back to Nohr with me. It's not too late!
I'm afraid you're wrong. I'm way beyond the point of no return.

Corrin didn't even gain a level. He's way too ahead of the rest of the team.

Units Joined

Subaki

Class sets: Starts as Sky Knight, Samurai
PSkill: Perfectionist-When user’s HP is at maximum, Hit rate and Avoid +15

Growth Rates
HP: 55
STR: 40
MAG: 20
SKL: 60
SPD: 35
LCK: 45
DEF: 45
RES: 25

Subaki is...confusing. He has sub-par 50% growths in everything but SKL and HP, and really bad in STR and SPD. The only thing saving him is that Sky Knight gives Darting Blow which will keep him sorta relevant but jeez, he is poor.

Hana

Class sets: Starts as Samurai, Shrine Maiden
PSkill: Fearsome Blow-When user triggers the battle and defeats an enemy, enemies adjacent to the user have their HP reduced by 20%

Growth Rates
HP: 35
STR: 65
MAG: 10
SPD: 75
LCK: 40
DEF: 20
RES: 40

Good lord, when your glass cannon ability is comparable to Azura, you're in big trouble. And unlike Azura who can safely gain EXP whenever, she has to actually kill and survive. Sakura has some terrible bodyguards.

Tae fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 22, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

inthesto posted:

One of the things I can't stand about Birthright is just how many absolutely lousy characters they dump on you in the beginning. I still think Hana is the best combat character we have so far (obvious exception to Corrin), and that says a lot

I mean, her only competition is basically Rinkah, Felicia, and Kaze and two of them are hidden tool users which automatically put them high up there.

Mini-spoiler alert, we're gaining 3 party members shortly and all of them are better than Hana.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Part 3

Okay, I'm seriously going to count these "Willing deaths" from this point, cause this is ridic

No. This isn't right.
What are you waiting for?
You seemed hesitant to attack us, even as you led your army into battle. Why were you holding back? Because we were friends?
Ugh...
Aren't you here on king Garon's orders? Did you even intend to defeat us?
Corrin... some things are more important than following orders.
You're going to need to be clearer than that, or I will finish you off!

Whoah, easy there killer.

I still can't believe you don't remember.
We used to played together. You always said how badly you wanted to see the world... So one day I made us a picnic and snuck you out for a few hours to explore. I even packed your favorite meal: Surf and turf! I knew taking you beyond the walls was forbidden, but... I also knew how much it would mean to you. The guards tried to execute me when we returned but you wouldn't let them do it.
Gods! That does ring a bell...

How the hell did you forget all that? :psyduck:

Silas... Silas... Yes, of course! I do remember a childhood friend by that name.
One who helped me explore outside the walls that bound me.
Yes! that's it! What else?
Only bits and pieces at the moment... But I have a proposal for you. You say you would sacrifice your own life for mine?
Indeed.
Very well. Then join forces with me. I know you are a knight of Nohr... and you may not believe what I'm about to say... But King Garon has gone absolutely mad!
He gave me a cursed sword and sent me off to be captured by the Hoshidans. Knowing, of course, that I would be brought before my mother. She was killed when the sword exploded. I would have been too...
I...I don't believe it...

"He even planned a lady turning into a dragon saving me when he programmed the sword to fling me off the canyon!"

"Uh...I...don't...believe it?"

I can't forgive his actions against Hoshido. And I will never return to Nohr.
You must think I'm manipulating you.
No, Corrin... I believe you. You've spared my life twice now. I have no reason to doubt your story.
Then you will join us?
Yes. Perhaps together we can bring peace to this world someday.
That is my aim, Silas. I promise that I will never deviate from the cause.
I can't believe this is happening!

*Suddenly, two people arrive*

Saizo, Orochi... What happened to you? You're both wounded!
Our wounds are nothing. but as for Lord Ryoma and Lord Takumi—
What?! What happened to them?
They're missing. Last anyone saw them, they were headed to Izumo. It's possible they were captured en route. I hate to think of the alternative...
No! No, no, no, no...
Lady Sakura, please take a deep breath. Saizo, Orochi...
Please tell me you're joking.

I blame myself. I should have been at Lord Ryoma's side every step of the way.
Pardon me, but you must be Lord Corrin, yes? I'm Orochi. I used to serve as a diviner for Lady Mikoto. It seems it would serve a common purpose for our army to join forces. Our tactician, Yukimura, is readying the troops to march on Izumo. Time is of the essence! Will you join us in search of Lord Ryoma and Lord Takumi?
Yes, of course. We'll support you in any way that we can.
Thank you, Lord Corrin.
I'm coming with you.
Lady Sakura, I strongly recommenced that you reconsider. The battlefield near the border is highly dangerous, and—

If there's anything I can do to help my brothers, I need to be in position to do it.
I'm so sorry Sakura. But I'm afraid I agree with Kaze...

We are taking a healer, goddamnit. Don't you do this to me.

It's understandable she would want to accompany us. With my help I believe we can provide adequate protection...
Very well. I won't try to stop you, Sakura. I just hope you understand the risks.
Thank you, Corrin. I do.
Will you be joining us as well, Silas?
Yes, I will join you.
Although, I must say that I didn't expect to be pressed into service THIS quickly...

You'd really allow this backstabbing Nohrian scum to accompany us.
This is not your call, Saizo. And besides, if we abandon him here, he dies. That is not the Hoshidan way.
Is the Hoshidan way to allow a potential spy access to our party? I will follow Corrin's lead...for now. But I will keep my eyes wide open.

...Wait, are they open now or something?

Saizo!
Brother, Corrin spared my life when I was a prisoner in Nohr. I assure you that we can trust his judgement.
Oh, please. A five-year-old wouldn't be fooled by such an obvious setup.
I appreciate your skepticism, Saizo.
I hope you'll give me a chance to prove you wrong.

Corrin, we really must press on. Every second counts!
Right, let's get moving.

Units Joined

Silas

Class sets: Starts as Cavalier, Mercenary
PSkill: Vow of Friendship-If the Avatar is an ally, when the Avatar is under half HP, user’s damage +3 and damage received -3

Growth Rates
HP: 50
STR: 60
MAG: 5
SPD: 50
LCK: 55
DEF: 50
RES: 30

"Crap, we gave the player two underwhelming units to the party. Let's give him a monster unit to make up for it."

Yeah, Silas is awesome. Not only is he your first Cavalier, he has amazing growths and an incredibly PSkill that powers him up to a hurtful wall of destruction.

Saizo

Class sets: Starts as Ninja, Samurai
PSkill: Pyrotechnics-When user triggers the battle at under half HP, the user and enemies within a 2 tile radius have their HP reduced by 20%

Growth Rates
HP: 45
STR: 55
MAG: 45
SKL: 80
SPD: 50
LCK: 55
DEF: 50
RES: 25

While Kaze is basically capping SPD absurdly fast, Saizo is honestly a better brother everywhere else. Great STR and DEF growths, though weak RES growth to balance him out. You can never have too many ninjas honestly, and Saizo certainly isn't a burden.

Orochi

Class sets: Starts as Diviner, Apothecary
PSkill: Capture-When there is a Prison in My Castle, the user can select the “Capture” command. If a generic enemy is defeated, they will be sent to the Prison

Growth Rates
HP: 35
STR: 10
MAG: 80
SPD: 30
LCK: 40
RES: 55

Capture is a mechanic I'll go over in the next MyCastle update.

As for Orochi, she has one thing on her mind and that is big, nuclear damage once. She will gain MAG and RES and gods praise you if you get anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Subaki might be your 15th best character if you exclude kids. Being a sky knight isn't that much of an advantage in birthright.

Though it's not like anyone is unplayable.

• Locked thread