Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

In terms of plot hits, Birthright is a fairly generic FE story, with all that implies. There also are at least some not entirely goody goody things going on there (ninjas kidnapping a Nohrian princess in retribution isn't exactly on the up and up, no matter how much she doesn't mind years later), though admittedly it hasn't come up much. Conquest on the other hand... well Nohr is fairly obviously set up as the evil kingdom, but it's not like there aren't plenty of decent people living there. I mean, we've already seen the 4 royal siblings there, and they seem mostly okay, and I don't think it's terribly a spoiler to say most of the recruits on that path are generally decent people as well. There were plenty of interesting places they could have taken that story, but the one they chose for Conquest, oh God the story route they took for Conquest. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

MightyPretenders posted:

Yeah. This is the option that makes the most sense now that Corrin has regained his early memories. I think the prologue gives you time to become attached to all of the siblings (except Takumi, but he has reasonable motives going for him), but no reason to think agreeing with Nohr is a valid choice.

To be fair, the "Refuse to choose a side" (which is obviously the Revelations choice, but we'll get to that later) makes about as much sense, since the Nohrian royal siblings clearly care for, and are cared for in turn by, Corrin as well so, with Corrin having being isolated all their life, not necessarily wanting to fight the Nohrians either works plotwise as well. The "return to Nohr" option after King Evil tried to blatantly murder you like 5 times in last 2 days that will always be incredibly dumb though.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Omobono posted:

It does however make perfect sense that they believe Corrin has been brainwashed, because that's within Hoshido's capabilities.

Aside from the fact that Xander literally just went, "I'm fully aware we kidnapped you from Hoshido, we're still clearly your true family and they've brainwashed you by telling you the truth!" Like if it wasn't for that then yeah, you'd have a fair point - and it's possible Leo and Elise weren't aware making it true for them - but Xander, and I'm pretty sure Camilla too, is fully aware of how exactly Corrin came to be in Nohr.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

Azura - Stuff tends to break around her... her included; I'm pretty sure I rarely get HP or Defense on her before around level 12 to 15. Now, I'm probably gonna get a lot of complaints for this from fans of Fates, but she's pretty low on my list of "favorite characters" - I just don't like her personality type.

Sakura - Statistically, Sakura's probably gonna be one of your best units down the line; with her growths, she can do literally anything you need her to if you just keep her level up to date. This is probably gonna sound weird after me not liking Azura, but I kinda like her as a character, too; maybe it's just that she seems less resigned and/or more proactive than Azura.

Not on SA at least. There are a lot of people in the FE threads that don't particularly care for Azura for reasons that will come up eventually. And Azura and Sakura don't really have similar personalities, so it doesn't really come across as odd you'd like one and not the other. Azura just seems to prefer staying out of the spotlight but has no issue interacting with strangers if necessary, whereas Sakura is flat-out shy. So other aspects of their personality, like how determined they can be in other situations, doesn't really track to their social interactions.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

Kaze is being dense. It's sad when the lifelong prisoner is more clued-in than you are. Of course, it's possible that he's just willfully oblivious.

Part of it is that he likely hates himself to some extent, what with the "They're mistaken. I'm not a good man" line. So if he can't really see that side of himself, others reacting to it is going to cause confusion. Admittedly the other part of it is simply the pretty boy/nice guy combo that attracts the opposite sex with their looks and actions but never notices too.

CptWedgie posted:

I can sympathize with Sakura a bit here. I mean, I hate scary stories too. Main difference is that I don't stick around to hear the end.

I dunno, if I'm going to listen to one in the first place, I'd generally say that not hearing the ending would be even worse than hearing it, especially if you have an active imagination.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 20, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Hey, I think I found Lilina's big sister.

Holy crap, what is up with the Hoshido stat growth?

It's funny you think this is only a Hoshido thing, though I'll grant that they skew further to the extremes on the whole.

Also, toss me in as finding Hana usable, whereas Subaki is complete junk. While Hana has terrifying durability issues, you get an item in this very chapter to help fix that (Seraph's Robe), and her offensive growths along with the bonuses from certain Katanas (along with Samurai/Swordmaster bonuses) means she can actually kill units quickly and in at least some safety.

Meanwhile, Subaki is slightly survivable and that's it - assuming no one aims magic at him or is fast. You'll note that his class set is Sky Knight/Samurai so his Def growth, while nice, is still never going to break 50% because both of them add 0 to that (45 is his base rate), and his Res is utter trash (5% base, Sky Knight gives 20, Samurai gives 10). Meanwhile, for his offensive stats, both his Str and Spd growths are utterly incapable of getting above 40% (Str is universally 40, Spd varies 35-40). To drive the point home, he's actually got lower starting Str/Spd than Hana too, despite being a level higher. So, all-in-all, he's got stats suitable for a defensive character but an offensive class set, and does neither well as the growths don't synergize at all. So you need items for multiple stats if you don't get lucky with RNG, and none of them come now, unlike the Robe.

This is just judging them side by side of course, as mechanically you just got handed a bunch of units probably better than both anyways so you don't necessarily have to use either.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 22, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh speaking of
Are there 'true hit' shenanigans in fates? Tae keeps saying dodge tanking is heavily nerfed in fates but never exactly why.

Doing some brief searching, it looks like true hit was modified in Fates, yes. The conclusion seems to be there are still two rolls above 50% hit, but only one below. Which means people are still more likely to hit someone when they've got above 50% hit, but also more likely to hit someone when below. For those that didn't make sense to, starting from FE6 the games have rolled 2 random numbers whenever an attack is made, and the average of those two is then compared to the given hit value - if it's lower it is a hit. Since averages of two numbers will always trend towards the mid-point (50), percentages above that number are more likely to hit than indicated, and those below are even less likely to hit than displayed. Switching back to 1 random number when below 50% hit chance means dodge tanking is significantly less safe in this game than most.

Added on to this, Awakening tweaked the Evade formula. In the GBA games the formula was 2 x Spd (okay, 2 x modified due to weapon Spd) + Luk + anything else. Awakening modified that to 1.5 x Spd + 0.5 x Luk + extras, and Fates uses the same formula. That combined with Fates switching to 1 RN below 50% hurts evasive characters from both directions.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Oboro's really weird for me because I've never actually made her work; every time she's just ended up as a backpack for another unit. Her bases and growths are all solid, but nothing that's going to rocket out of the moon, so most of the time I just ended up using someone stronger, faster, or someone I was experimenting with, like Subaki or Rinkah.

It hurts her a little that she joins after Subaki, Silas and Hinoka, too. You can kind of dump Subaki at this point though, I guess.

Hinata is the same, I've never ended up using him much despite his excellent starting bases. He's better than Hana at least, but he just kind of... falls off after promotion.

You might not have had luck with the RNG, that's fair, but that second part is just plain wrong. Go look at their starting levels along with their growths. Oboro is only 4 levels higher than Silas, and 5 higher than Subaki, but her bases in many cases match, or nearly match, the absolute maximum either could have even if they hit their growth every single level. And this is even assuming they've reached 10 by this point, which is by no means guaranteed.

To wit:
HP: Starts 3 points higher than either of them, and both only have ~50% growths (55 for Subaki, 55 for Silas). They'll eventually likely pass her as hers is slightly lower (45), but not by much.
STR: 2 points higher than Silas, 5 points higher than Subaki. Silas might actually pass her slightly, as he's got a relatively decent growth (60), but Subaki has to hit every single level to match, and odds aren't high of him doing that with his growth(40). Her own growth is respectable (55), so it's generally going to be nearly the same between her and Silas here.
MAG: All start at 0, Subaki and Oboro have 20% growths compared to Silas' 5% if you actually care about it. You'll generally have better magic lancers than any of these.
SKL: Subaki actually has the lead here, starting with 13, compared to Oboro's 11. Silas is 2 points behind her. All have comparable growths (60/60/55), so Subaki will pull away from both of them, and again Silas has an okay chance to at least reach her starting point.
SPD: 2 point advantage over Subaki, 4 point advantage over Silas. Here she's generally always going to have to have the advantage. Silas has to hit his growth every single level to catch her, and each level is a perfect coin flip (50% growth). Subaki only has to get 2 points over 5 levels, but also has a completely poo poo growth (35). Oboro's own growth is actually higher than either of theirs as well, so she's likely to pull away too.
LCK: Oboro starts 4 points higher than either, and growths are generally the same across all 3 (45/50/50), so she'll generally maintain the advantage here as well.
DEF: Another important stat, Oboro starts 3 points higher than Silas, and 4 points higher than Subaki. Both have decent growths, but it's still a coin flip each level (45/50), and hers is also 50%, so there's a fair chance she'll have and maintain an advantage here as well, though won't pull away.
RES: Subaki, as a Sky Knight, unsurprisingly has the advantage here, starting at 10 to Oboro's 8 - putting her 3 ahead of Silas. None of them have great growths here, though amusingly Subaki has the lowest (25/30/35).

She's a really good character, and in terms of personality she's better than either of them too. Another interesting advantage is that Spear Fighters have no effective weapons against them, unlike the flying and horse tags. Hell, in some ways they're better tanks than their classic (and Nohrian) equivalent - Knights - since they're lacking the armor tag as well.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

The nohrian siblings are both accepting and respecting of Corrin's choice though? Elise is noted in this last chapter to be depressed over all the conflict and betrayal, and is more upset about the fighting than which side corrin picked. Xander acknowledges the decision and treats it like the treason it was. Leo is similarly angry at corrin's decision, but clearly still cares enough about corrin to respect their desire to not see the dark mage murdered. Camillia we haven't seen enough of to say much.

You are right that they have zero reason narratively to actually stay with Nohr with evil dad on the throne, but the game kind of flops on that hardcore in general even conquest side, with only a few exceptions.

You could probably argue Leo, given this is the same person who faked killing people so he's perfectly capable of putting on a false attitude, and Elise is Elise, but as for the other two? Yeah, no.

Tae posted:

So it’s come to this. You dare to point your sword at our king… The same man you once called Father.

Draw your sword, Corrin, and we’ll settle this once and for all. Go on! If you would oppose us, then kill your brother with your own hands! Destroy the very friends and soldiers who once protected you!

Tae posted:

You have betrayed not only your king but your whole family.
To think...I once called you Brother and loved you with all my heart…

Let me summarize: "To think you betrayed the king who tried to off you like five times in two days, and had you suicide bomb your real mother, how horrible of you!!" Keeping in mind that Xander is fully aware that Corrin was kidnapped as a child by Garon. Also the whole thing about Corrin being raised basically in the middle of nowhere, cut off from almost all contact with anyone else aside from the direct servants.

The one he actually coldly treats as and calls a traitor is Silas, and he's basically correct there (though Silas was making a legitimate point).

Camilla's even worse, as she basically pulls a "If I can't have you, no one can!" Again, you can certainly argue the case for Leo, and Elise is perfectly sympathetic, but Xander and Camilla are not even remotely "accepting and respecting" of Corrin's choice.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

...Aside from Garon immediately ordering him killed when he didn't execute prisoners, and then sending him off to the border with a convicted murderer instead. Who conveniently wanders back alone after that mission with like an "Oh, darn, I guess I lost him" apparently. Xander seems to be utterly stuck on "YOU BETRAYED YOUR FATHER, HOW COULD YOU!!!" despite being aware Garon is not, in fact, Corrin's actual father, and has basically always been horrible to him to boot.

And the refutation was more about the issue that Xander and Camilla have not, in fact, been particularly "respectful and accepting" of Corrin's choice. Xander's utterly stuck on "how dare you betray the man who kidnapped you" and Camilla's flat out crazy.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

If you read through the posts, for every person who likes Azama's personality, there's at least one other person who really doesn't like it and they're likely voting him out - but that isn't affecting how many votes he's getting for class change. Especially since barring class change he's significantly inferior in the same party role two other people already occupy. Apothecary isn't even a particularly good class.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

Swordmaster is an offensive MONSTER, which is pushed even further by Swordfaire (which I don't believe to be too spoilery to say there is a version for every offensive weapon type other than Stones, though I spoilered it anyway just in case); I mean, more damage is always a good thing, and improved damage on the condition of using a specific type of weapon isn't much of a trade-off if you're locked to that weapon type anyway, right? Astra... well, it's pretty self-explanatory, really; it's really good when you're already doing good damage, but it's kind of counterproductive if (for some reason) you're attacking something you can't damage efficiently with regular attacks.

Really, its biggest weakness is probably the shortage of ranged swords, but those're more of a backup weapon anyway.

The *faire skills existed in Awakening as well so no, I highly doubt that particularly counts as a spoiler - if one is in they all are.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

I wouldn't really consider it a huge one at least since you didn't elaborate, but, uh, i don't think anything gets Wary Fighter in Birthright. I don't remember it being something that slowed me down, at least.

Tae's correct that it doesn't really matter regardless due to weapons available to other classes, but pretty sure Life meant enemy generals had the skill, and Orochi was just indirectly benefitting from the fact. They did specify she was useful against those specifically after all.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Not that I disagree with the scene being ridiculous for multiple reasons, but how, exactly, is Hinoka going to fly under them when they're flat against a sheer cliff? Have her pegasus phase its 20+' wingspan through the cliff face? Somehow hover it sideways (at which point Corrin has to somehow drop through said wings in addition to the other issue)?

edit: The sad thing is that there's an even dumber scene later on... and yet it still doesn't even come close to touching the height of Conquest's stupidity.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 12, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeaaah, I seem to recall mentioning during the Kaze scene that there was an even more idiotic one coming - this would be it. It is so incredibly contrived and nonsensical that there's really nothing to say. You just stare at it, go "huh" and move on.

...And yet a huge portion of Conquest's plot STILL manages to be dumber.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

If said someone had just managed to get Lucina, I'd have an easier time believing you. At least Lucina joins during the story, and someone could had just somehow not gotten Chrom a single support point with any of his marriage options (resulting in village girl) so no nodes would appear on the map. And then never managed to get a single S rank with anyone else either. Incredulous perhaps, but at least I could see that.

Whereas I have incredible trouble believing someone got Morgan from a node that popped up on the map after a marriage, and never thought "gee, look at all this blank space on the map, I wonder if there might be more." There's something of a limit to wilful ignorance if you're older than like 12.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The Awakening kids present are decently fun... right up until you actually play the DLC as to why they're here in the first place. Then you find out they apparently got cursed with the same stupidity that seemingly infects a huge chunk of Nohr.

Or more realistically the scriptwriters REALLY didn't talk to each other when interweaving stuff.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Corrin (either sex) has no canon partner. This isn't like Awakening where the actual opening shows Sumia as Chrom's wife. I mean, it's easy to see Azura as the main non-Avatar character given how prominent she is in all the routes, and the primary characters hooking up isn't exactly an uncommon occurrence in JRPGs/Anime, but the game itself never pushes her as far as I recall.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Tae posted:

And how dare you call me crazy!

Seriously Azama, gently caress off. Never really used him in my own playthroughs as I both didn't need another healer and I didn't particularly care for the brief few bits of his introduction, but virtually every support being shown off for him just reinforces that impression and makes me like him even less.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

I like how corrin has to be informed about the fort deep in nohrian territory by someone from a completely different country.

The poll should be entirely about making up nicknames for our favorite moronic heroes

To be fair, this is a point that at least somewhat makes sense. Corrin's been kept in an isolated castle their entire life and apparently taught nothing relevant about Nohr, whereas a significant fort would probably be known about by Hoshidan military commanders.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

It'd be really great if this game had some kind of blocking system so you could have the royals refusing to harm you and instead trying to defend against an attack instead.

To be fair, this is essentially represented in you punching Sakura, or Elise in Birthright, in the face during that initial battle. Even ignoring that they mechanically have no weapon, in terms of story they're kind of refusing to attack you too.

Also, BOY OH BOY, is Xander's "I know what I must do" plan absolutely great.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Bench Mozu. She doesn't deserve having to serve under this idiotic of a commander.

blizzardvizard posted:

That's kinda how I justified the plot developments (at this point in the game) yeah. I mean, regardless of whether or not the writers intended it that way, you can read it that way, and it makes Corrin's obtuseness regarding Garon (again, at this point in the game) understandable.

The problem with this is that Corrin's had basically no remembered interaction with Garon, ever, before the beginning of the game. They've been confined to the mountain fortress basically their entire life with only the servants and occasionally the Nohrian siblings for company. There's absolutely no frame of reference for wanting to win the approval of someone they've basically never even met, let alone be this desperate for it, especially since they were already getting plenty of attention from either group of siblings. If that had been the primary reason for returning to Nohr, with extreme caution regarding Garon, that would at least be vaguely acceptable. Still really dumb, but at least somewhat understandable. As-is... heh.

Also, in regards to Elise in the Ice Village... no, just no. Even if you want to see her as cheerfully optimistic, she should perfectly well know what Garon is like because she was sitting right there when Garon ordered Corrin to execute POWs, and then proceeded to threaten to execute Corrin if they didn't do so - and none of the siblings act like this is remotely unusual for him. Her magically thinking that he just wanted them to chat with the Ice Tribe regarding their rebellion is utterly ridiculous, and just another piece of bad writing... or you can interpret it as her managing to go well beyond naive into outright stupidity instead, I suppose you could interpret it that way.

I also think Xander is the worst royal for an incredible number of reasons, whereas Ryoma is just boring, but we'll get to that when we get to that.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

How Rude posted:

Keep Mozu, bench Jakob

it always struck me that the main motivation for joining Nohr was because you liked the siblings there more than the hoshido siblings, Garon not being the main factor in the slightest

For the player, if they liked them better than sure, plus the advertised complex storyline and great maps. As for Corrin, well...

Tae posted:

:psyduck: Excuse me?

That's why I must return home right away. I must know the truth of this tragedy.

If it had just been for their goddamn Nohrian siblings, Corrin could have just not gone back to the castle while Xander questioned Garon, or something, as to what the gently caress happened in regards to exploding swords... and the multiple other murder attempts. And then the plot would have gone who knows where instead of "and now I need to help Garon murder some rebels excuse me, have my entire force agree to nonlethally bludgeon them into unconsciousness in order to win his approval!" :downs:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The middle section of Corrine's "recruitment" speech is almost physically painful to read.

"You live in solitude? Then, random stranger I just met, we can be... family." :downs:

As for Nyx herself... eh. She basically has the growths Odin is missing, and vice versa. Smash them together and you'd have one good character! Or I suppose you could just feed them each a different set of boosters, since they thankfully don't need the same ones. From what I recall she's not exactly a particularly popular character, though at least she's better than her Hoshido pseudo-equivalent.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Endorph posted:

just feed nyx every secret book. who else needs them.

Arthur. :v:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

I would've been super cool with retainer Lucina were she not put in as weird DLC

Amiibos! :argh:

Given the reasonings given in their DLC in regards to why the Awakening kids are here, I'm quite happy Lucina stayed Ylisse and didn't wander over.

Incidentally Tae, did you say you don't have any of the paid DLC at all, or just not associated with a particular cartridge or something?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly, Severa was never incredibly one-note, here or in Awakening, she just puts on a heavy front, and I'd consider Beruka one of the best characters in this game in this regard. Kind of the Nohrian counterpart to Oboro in adding at least some depth to the character.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

If reaction to Micaiah is part of why IS was afraid to make Corrin do morally questionable things, then they completely missed the point of why people didn't like Micaiah. It wasn't the morally questionable things themselves (okay, the oil strategy went a bit beyond questionable and straight into just hosed up), but just how stupid the reasoning behind most of her actions was, and how she basically suffered no repercussions whatsoever for any of the poo poo she pulled. Everything works out fine for her, to the extent a character that was already presented as smart and clever in the previous game (Sanaki), is saying she's basically the bestest thing ever and should be the one in charge of Begnion.

As for the "absolutely no deaths" thing, yeah. My personal opinion is that alone (and no, it doesn't stop here), without even taking into consideration all the other stupid poo poo that has happened or will happen, is already just as bad or worse than the random deaths out of nowhere in Birthright. It's such an utterly moronic thing to put into the story there really nothing else to say.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Peri personally is at least kind of okay as a character, what with why she is like she is having at least somewhat of an explanation. Shame about her supports making a bunch of her support partners look like absolutely terrible people (yes, this shockingly includes Corrin. Be amazed). Xander especially comes off looking like absolute garbage, given he specifically selected her to be his retainer.

Inigo is Inigo, nothing has really changed there.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Tae covered the second point, but the first point you can probably put down to just more garbage Conquest writing and/or them being too lazy to come up with some random enemy groups. Fort Dragonfall is fairly deep within Nohr, and nowhere near being on a straight path between Hoshido and the capital city of Windmire, and we were apparently only supposed to be passing through it on the way to a port city. So some random Hoshidan contingent being there is utterly nonsensical and basically only there to explain picking up Azura on that map - because clearly some random Hoshidan troops kidnapping a princess when the rest weren't looking, then travelling across nearly the entire continent and deep into enemy territory was the best possible explanation for that.

Ryoma being present in Garon's summer palace... I don't even want to hazard a guess. I'm just going to go with Iago teleporting them there when they weren't looking. I mean, that was the same chapter where Elise had some other mysterious disease than Takumi had in Bithright, what with the herbs apparently only being found in Hoshido when the exact opposite explanation was given in Birthright.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Tae posted:

...I want to smack you in the head so much.

Would it actually matter? I mean, you could probably flat out remove her head and Corrine would still be able to function perfectly fine because nothing of value would be lost.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eh, they kind of handwaved it in Birthright as magically disguising her or something, so I suppose you could justify that at least as Azura somehow managing to do so on her own, with it blatantly being her in the cutscene simply for player reference.

THIS on the other hand...

Tae posted:

asdfasdfasdf

:downsgun:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, given it is literally the exact same voters voting Leo into #1 as it is voting (F)Corrin #1 for the female side of the list, pointing out that he's the most popular Fates male , as shown by said polls, isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for him in and of itself. Not to say he isn't a good character, but being a relatively well-written and complex character (for this game) are not the reason he's #1.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Shame Xander has no honor himself, no matter how much he, and the game, occasionally pretends he does. To start with, between constantly pretending that Corrin being kidnapped and brainwashed is "lies, all lies!" massive support for Garon, and deliberately employing a psychopathic murderer who can and will attempt to murder members of their own army if they get upset, yeah he's an honorless piece of poo poo.

Have I mentioned he's the Worst Royal? Because he's the Worst Royal.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

The Nohrian siblings have the best supports in the game.

...Regardless of whether or not this is true (it's not, the best supports generally involve Beruka or Oboro, because they're actually multifaceted characters, or the Awakening trio), using Xander's supports with these two as your example is hilarious.

Inigo's support is an Inigo support. It's relatively similar to several he's had before, and it's far more reflective on Inigo than who he's interacting with.

And then we have Peri. Peri, who has murdered untold numbers of her family servants, attempts to murder at least one - and I believe multiple - party member during their support, and is about to murder a shopkeep in another support (which implies she's probably actually done so multiple times before). Xander objects to, or attempts to discourage her from doing, precisely none of this. For those who've blotted previous portions of the story from their mind, Xander is the one complaining about Garon releasing Hans because he's a murderer. The only thing this support does is confirm he's the absolutely worst party member in the game.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Endorph posted:

not really. there are plenty of jrpgs with moral complexity on both sides. it doesn't have to be both sides being super complicated and nuanced, just moments of humanity. travant managed to come across like a reasonable person after literally murdering a woman and stealing her baby because of like seven lines, max. he isn't pure or tragic or even all the sympathetic, but he's a reasonable human being who does things for a reason. it isn't that hard to do and plenty of games have done it.

To go all the way to the end of the spectrum, Luca Blight is more nuanced than most of the villains here, and that's not really something you really want to see in villains we're supposed to be taking seriously.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The sad thing comes when you realize Birthright Corrin is probably the more morally complex character, simply because they're actually willing to kill people for their beliefs, rather than this nonsensical "knock everyone out in the middle of battle somehow." Sure, not by much, but considering what the two games were marketed as, all the more pathetic.

AradoBalanga posted:

The recently released Shadows of Valentia has been good (aside from some rough edges that mostly were in the original and carried forward), and shown that for the most part, Fates is this weird oddball of everything that could go wrong with it actually going wrong.

Eh, as I understand it a lot of the issues people have with Celica in Echoes are mostly added, or extremely expanded, scenes. I don't actually mind the set relationships, but it was getting to the point where I somewhat wished Alm had another option simply because he was cool and good, and Celica was decidedly not. The game doing a terrible job of actually giving them any chemistry, as opposed to "because the plot says so," certainly didn't help.

Tae touched on the late game issues she runs into, but the early game castle reunion scene is another big one, for me at least. Technically the early game shrine basically everyone visits is a really dumb decision by her too, but at least the player CAN skip that. And for most of them people just go along with the stupidity and keep going on about how she's so great.

The game overall is pretty good though, I just have certain issues with the plot of that section.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

To be fair, Nyx isn't a member of the Nohrian army which, combined with Birthright apparently mostly being an infiltration of Nohr by effectively a strike team rather than an invading army, means there's no real reason for her to ever appear.

Last Celebration posted:

Should I just have said gimmicky then? Idk, shits trying to be a puzzle or whatever and there's always at least one thing stopping you from the obvious solution.

Probably yes. Most (though not all) of Conquest is difficult due to gimmicks you often have no real way to see coming, rather than legitimate and fair difficulty. And as you get later in the route there's virtually no breather map either, which just makes it an unfun slog where you're locked into the same units basically every run.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Corrin has lived their entire life sheltered away from most human contact, so much so that other than the two groups of royals, there are very few people they have met. During which they've formed positive bonds with the Nohrian royals, and then been warmly welcomed by the Hoshidan royals in the brief time they met them.

I don't think it's unreasonable for a sheltered, naive person to decide both that they don't want to fight either group of siblings, or want them fighting each other (which really, they would have probably done to at least some extent regardless of Corrin being present or not. Tempers were way too high). Is their spur of the moment plan not exactly a good one? Sure, but it's not like they have a lot of time to think through their options, and they don't have a lot of life experience to draw upon to think of something else. Not to say anything of the rest of Revelations, but this particular decision/plan has absolutely nothing on the idiocy of Conquest's Chair Plan or the reasoning behind going back to Nohr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Birthright is a fairly easy fix, as it's not too far off a standard FE plot and is by far the most coherently written of the three routes to begin with. Just emphasize some of the more morally grey elements already there if you want, and tidy up some of the loose plot ends. There is stuff like Yukimura orchestrating the kidnapping of Azura already present, so it's not like there's absolutely nothing to go on already. Oh, and Flora actually joins the goddamn party, as opposed to that idiotic ending to the Ice Tribe map.

Conquest is a complete lost cause without a major rewrite though. Everything from the plot to the characters to the goddamn flow progression of battles is an utter mess. Even ignoring the idiocy of stuff like the Chair Plan or the comically evil Garon, we have nonsense like the battle where we get Azura, wherein some renegade troop of Hoshidan soldiers has dragged her into a fortress deep inside Nohr for no understandable reason. Or another example, Ryoma and company chilling inside Garon's summer palace, and again no attention whatsoever is paid as to what the hell they're doing there, deep across the border. There also needs to be a heavy reexamining of all the gimmicks, and either be less of them and space them out better, or heavily revise them. Because poo poo like the kitsune gimmick or pots are just stupid.

Lilith should probably either be completely excised from the plot, getting rid of that stupid plot death from both routes, or actually have something of a presence besides that single scene at the beginning of the game. And probably still not die that stupid plot death.

Revelations is... well, we'll see.

• Locked thread