Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Personally, the bulk of the cast of Fates is more boring because their one-notes don't even synergize well together. At least in Awakening a good 70% of the supports still feel kinda organic. The most 'dull' character is maybe Laurent, and at least he's optional.

Meanwhile, there are maybe about 10-15 interesting characters in Fates, which is a problem when it has maybe the largest or second largest cast in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The dragon's design is fine, if a bit ungainly.

It's the human form that has terrible design. :colbert:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My only real issue with Sakura is that while she's a very competent healer, she's also kind of a boring one. Other than her Personal she pretty much fills the role as 'standard cleric', now with more range. You also already have a decent healer that can attack at that point (Jakob/Felicia). On the Conquest side, Elise at least gives more strategic options with her horse (and you might actually need to field two healers).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Felicia is a competent Maid (especially if you get one of the magical hidden weapons), and the class does give her better defenses, speed and pair-up bonuses. The problem is that by the end of the game, those bonuses aren't enough to offset her growths, so she's arguably better off switching to her other option for more movement and offensive growths.

Rinkah is one of my favourite experimental characters (along with another we'll get on the Conquest route), her growths and starting class are so bizarre; they can work, but you have to invest in her. Her being pretty much your only axe user in Birthright is less relevant than you'd think, sadly.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Felicia doesn't hate combat, she just enjoys being a maid more.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Note that missing stuff doesn't necessarily mean just missing good stuff.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ohmygorgon posted:

I guess it's worth noting that Foreign Princess only works in battles that take place in a MyCastle, meaning, it doesn't work for 98% of the game. They somehow managed to take a skill that is already fairly useless for a Dancer to have, and make almost completely useless, and made it incredibly confusing as to its exact mechanics on top of that. It's also rather strange that Voice of Peace only works on Physical damage, as if it would be too broken to just be both types. But she doesn't need either, Inspiring Song is plenty.

Incorrect. The translation is a bit wonky, but Foreign Princess affects all enemies.

Also might not be the worst idea to include growth rates for classes, especially considering there's reclassing in this game. Also worth noting innate bonuses some classes have (for example, Swordmasters get +10 to crit).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Orochi may have excellent power and accuracy, but that speed is terrifyingly low for a caster. Coupled with her paper-thin defenses, she's got worse defensive potential than Hana unless she's fighting a mage. Her blessing is that there aren't a lot of absurdly fast enemies in Birthright and that it's very easy to give +SPD with its cast.

Subaki is a bit of an experiment, but while he has easier early use than Rinkah, he generally turns out worse because he's going to struggle to kill anything after a while while Rinkah will at least be able to use her Personal to help accentuate her damage (also her being able to go Ninja means she can always go be a chipper).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Subaki's fine. His bases and Darting Blow are good enough to double a lot of things early on, he can ferry, and he easily promotes to Falcon Knight once he stops being able to kill things so that he can function as a mobile staffer/rallier.

He's hardly going to be the best unit (the other pegasus outclasses him 85%), but he's fine early on, at least he'll still have some use down the road even if RNG turns out poorly. Meanwhile a bad Hana is pretty much dead weight after a couple chapters. If Birthright was actually a harder game his utility would be lot more useful.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Donnel also has the benefit of his levels being reset when he Seals, so he's effectively getting 9+ more levels of Aptitude. Awakening's Aptitude Bonus is also twice as large as Fates'.

Honestly, Mozu's biggest obstacle is her HP; the base is Azura-level to the point that a 10% increase in the growth isn't going to save her. Going Archer alleviates this somewhat, but I've never felt like I needed to invest in her.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
'Total control of the weapon triangle' is a a nice idea in theory but the weapon grind is really bad in this game, unless you like swinging with Bronze weapons for too long a time. I mean I can't remember a time when I used all three weapon types on a Great Knight. Usually they just focused on whichever they'd already built up and maybe dipped into another one for easy kills.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If you're lucky enough to pick up a Raider weapon, sure. Remember that they're RNG from My Castle, so you might not ever get one. And if you're doing an 'honest' run where the stuff from the castle is banned, then they're off-limits.

You could throw an Arms Scroll at them to make them viable enough to use Iron at least.

Masters of Arms aren't a horrible class, but stat-wise they're usually just a hair too slow or weak to be optimal, kind of like Heroes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

chiasaur11 posted:

Subaki compares interestingly with Cordelia, since they both have the whole "perfect" gimmick going.

It's just Cordelia being perfect meant you got an amazing unit with access to every weapon in the game, whose supports matched up with her reputation. Like, Kellam had nigh-supernatural stealth that no-one understands? Cordelia picks up the knack inside a month. She worked her rear end off to be the best, which made her bad at accepting when people said she was.

Subaki's the opposite. Same reputation, but he constantly talks it up while being a lovely unit and a not impressive person.

Robe for Rinkah, and Ditch Subaki.

Subaki actually has his own complexes (which are revealed in some of his supports, like with Corrin). If I had to pick an Awakening unit to compare him to, it'd be Severa.

Anyway, dump Hana, feed Rinkah. Subaki's actually another potential candidate for the Robe, but there's no way he's going to win here.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 24, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, Great Master Azama is pretty great. He'll also pick up Renewal, allowing him to tank for a very long time. It's actually a great class for Subaki to sideline to with some of his support options, since he doesn't really miss flight that much, Renewal gels nicely with his passive, and he appreciates the strength boosts.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Dodge tanking being nerfed heavily hurts Hana, and to an extent Azura as well. Kaze would be an even better unit if it was still a thing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

blizzardvizard posted:

I haven't played Birthright, but Hayato seems pretty good to me? Bases are alright for a level 1, good growths, joins early enough, and if his Personal activates on a double, that's a hefty +6 damage. But I'm pretty sure I've read a lot of bad reviews about him, what am I missing here?

He joins at level 1, a few maps after we've had the chance to get Mozu. You don't really need him - Orochi's a fine enough mage and Sakura is almost eligible for promotion at this point. You pretty much have to baby him, and he's not exactly leaps and bounds above his competition.

Also don't turn him into an Oni right off, wait til he promotes first. Because do you really want to struggle through E rank clubs, especially with that skill growth?

His character is also insufferable. Like Ricken turned up to 11.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Trivia! Raider weapons strip enemies down to their skivvies, but what they wear is dependent on their origin.

So Nohrian males wear boxer briefs. Hoshidan males wear... I'm not sure what to call them. Like a loincloth of sorts.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kay Kessler posted:

They're called fundoshi.

I was going to say that, but they're not as obviously thinner towards the back. Unless there's different styles of them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Raider weapons trigger when you have a weapon advantage (so in the case of Raider Katanas, against a bow- or axe- wielding opponent).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Can't remember off the top of my head, but I think the clothing strip only triggers when you initiate the attack.

Either that, or you just didn't have the Raider weapon equipped.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oboro's really weird for me because I've never actually made her work; every time she's just ended up as a backpack for another unit. Her bases and growths are all solid, but nothing that's going to rocket out of the moon, so most of the time I just ended up using someone stronger, faster, or someone I was experimenting with, like Subaki or Rinkah.

It hurts her a little that she joins after Subaki, Silas and Hinoka, too. You can kind of dump Subaki at this point though, I guess.

Hinata is the same, I've never ended up using him much despite his excellent starting bases. He's better than Hana at least, but he just kind of... falls off after promotion.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh, I don't deny that in paper and likely in practice Oboro is better. More that in my personal experience, when I'm fielding units and go, 'hmm, I could use a lance user', then between the four lance units I already have, I'm probably already grabbing Hinoka, and then Silas/Subaki have a horse/wings. So priority tends to maybe go Hinoka > Silas/Subaki > Oboro > Subaki/Silas, if I don't need to train or hold back someone in particular. Too Many Lances gets compounded even more later - Azama and Hayato get them on promotion (Orochi does too, but she's not likely using one). I'm not even including Azura and Mozu here since they're probably not attacking or aren't being fielded because of lances.

The next couple maps being full of lance/axe units also means you're less likely to field lance users, too.

Oboro's a great unit. There's just nothing in practice that makes me beeline to deploy her.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 27, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I was very sad when I found out Kotaro was an enemy, I like his design.

Also I just remembered another reason why I never really used Hinata - his voice. I got used to Hinoka after a while... but Hinata, no.

Not that fond of Oboro's either, but hers is more tolerable.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ChaosArgate posted:

Takumi's basically a flier while he has the Fujin Yumi! :eng101:

A 5 Movement flier.

Also yeah, love him or hate him, Takumi is really the most complex royal. The other three just end up either being kind of one-note (Sakura, Ryoma) or... really forgettable (Hinoka).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Kagero's secondary is Diviner because Orochi is her best friend (presumably the reason Orochi doesn't get Ninja is because Rinkah and Setsuna already called dibs.)

(Which of course screws her because she doesn't get anything out of getting A-support with her best friend.)

Kagero's a great unit for putting holes in enemies (she can actually hit a 90% Str growth if she somehow gets access to the Fighter line, or more realistically a 85% in most other physical classes). That HP just won't do her any favours though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The poll only allows one vote at the moment.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
On the other hand, archers not deleting everything on enemy phase isn't the worst thing so that they'll stop hogging exp. If Takumi got kills in enemy phase he'd probably easily slam into the level cap or start draining experience that could go to units that need it more. Mages generally have defensive flaws and ninjas have to deal with low Mt on their weapons and more difficulty killing bow/axe units.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Reina is also our first proper 'Corrinsexual' - her ONLY support is with Corrin (and the kid if they marry).

Honestly though for that reason I never used her much.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Apothecary's role is supposed to be that of the slow, bulky, powerful archer (coupled with the high Mt of Yumis). The problem (outside of not being able to really experiment with the class unless you Seal) is that Archers are generally just better - doubling is better than single hits when you're a ranged unit, and they also get Quick Draw to help their damage problems.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I really like Kaden as a unit - he's basically Hana that works. His supports are almost all universally good, too.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Obligatum VII posted:

Kaden is another mage killer in a path already littered with ninjas. I still like him though and he's effective at his job.

I'll also echo sentiments of liking Oboro. I particularly like how her supports with Silas end up going.

Kaze is the best mage killer (well, next to Jakob/Felicia), but Saizo/Kagero can be iffy because of their low Spd/Res and HP growths respectively. I guess Setsuna's alright if you reclass her to Ninja, but her Str is already pretty darn poor as is without turning to a class that's even worse at the job.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Kaden's growths are balanced by the boosts from his Beaststone, yeah. He's a pretty solid unit and one of basically two units for whom dodgetanking is actually viable, thanks to his crazy high Res, his naturally high Spd, and the +10 Avoid the Kitsune line gives him. Damage isn't off the charts but he'll basically double everything (which builds up Guard Stance) and Evenhanded will give him a nice boost every couple of turns. Honestly his only weakness is that he doesn't have 1-2 range. If more enemies carted around Bronze weapons or Beast Killers he might be worse off, but he doesn't have that much of a problem outside of a few maps.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If nothing else, Kaden makes a great pair-up bot to anyone who needs Speed - he gives 6 Speed at S-rank, 7 Speed once he promotes. Or if you never plan to use him at all, go ahead and turn him into an Onmyoji, where he'll give +4 MAG/+6 SPD. He's pretty much everything Orochi could want (aside from not giving her any new classes).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I just had Hinoka cook a meal in my BR file and it came out delicious, so your mileage may vary.

And really, you'll almost never get the chance to have all deployed units gain exp equally. And considering one of those slots is typically a healer, who doesn't get much by being paired, might as well make a slot a dancer so other units can gain more experience.

Also her support gain rate is so slow it'll take her forever to marry someone. So you're going to have to put the work in sooner or later.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CptWedgie posted:

I think the support gain rates might've had the challenges in mind; I'm pretty sure there literally are not enough maps in the game to pair everyone up.

There definitely are if you're not just feeding to kills to one pair. Even on Conquest, which has limited maps, I was able to get everyone paired up.

Really, Azura's fine as a unit. Even if you think Sing is weak as a mechanic, she can give +3 Spd to her target once she hits level 10, and her Personal gives some small healing every turn to units around her.That counts for something, especially if you don't have a Falcon Knight for the map. The fact that she can actually attack (which is something pretty much every dancer prior to Awakening wish they could do) is nice, and unlike Olivia, Azura can actually hurt things. If people in the thread want Azura to be used, fine. If Tae really feels that he wants people to stop Azura, he can step in.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, Fates is generally good at making units not absurdly broken. Even CQ's best units aren't overwhelmingly super powerful, although there are some that are very good.

Ryoma is the one sole exception. He's incredibly, incredibly good.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CptWedgie posted:

...Now that you mention it, I wouldn't be surprised if she could...

With the use of the forts to recover your health, probably. Guard Naginata to bait in opponents, and then Beast Killer them down.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ajkalan posted:

Orochi is another one of those units that never worked out for me. Maybe someone better at Fire Emblem can make use of a unit with high attack and sluggish speed, but I abandon her when I get easier access to magic melee weapons and faster tome users.

She's great as an Attack Stance buddy, if nothing else. In addition, Birthright is chock full of +Spd pair-ups (including Kaze and Kaden), and enemies in Birthright aren't very fast, so even Orochi can double from time to time.

It's much easier to fix Orochi's Speed than if, say, you wanted to make Kagero a Diviner.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
'Game mechanics' aside, this would have been a really convenient place to use a Rescue staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
From what I've heard, Soleil was written worse in JP.

• Locked thread