Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
It really strikes me how little I care about the characters in Fates as compared to Awakening. There's nothing I can objectively point to as to why Sully, Stahl, Cordelia, or Gregor is better than anyone from Fates, but I just can't care as much about the characters here. Maybe it's because Corrin is so goddamn stupid compared to Robin. Robin's kinda bland, but he at least reacts to things like he's got a brain in his head. Corrin...does not.

I'll say more once a few of the stranger aspects of worldbuilding are revealed here, but I feel like there's a potentially *really interesting* setting based on this whole "astral plane" business that, obviously, is never followed up on, explained, or delved into in the slightest.

*sigh*

At least the gameplay is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I mean, this is the one time Corrin makes a logical decision. "So you guys want me to come back into the reach of a dude who has tried to kill me about a half dozen times in 2 days? And who casually blew up a crowded marketplace so that he could get his invasion on? Imma say no."

Which, of course, means Xander has to pick up the idiot ball and refuse to hear a word against murderdad.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I've really found the Raider +3 speed buff to be highly useful, since doubling with a weaker weapon will deal more damage, have a greater chance of triggering skills, and builds the Support Defense meter faster.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Tae posted:

Does the ninja understand?

Kaze is a pretty cool, chill dude.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Kaze continues to be a Mensch. Not a terribly interesting mensch, admittedly.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
My Hana was a glass cannon monster- she kept hitting her strength, speed, and skill growths, and she got enough HP and Defense to get by. There was one particular random drop that I basically glued to her hands, which helped immensely with blink-tanking- the Sunrise Katana, the one that gives +20 avoid While it meant I never got all that much use out of her Personal Skill, it made her a very reliable eraser- I could point her at a unit I wanted dead, and she'd clear it out, most likely without taking a hit in the process. As part of a general advance with other units to ensure she didn't take too much fire on the enemy phase, she was very reliable.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Stick Orochi on the bench.

Give the robe to Rinkah

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Why did they copy Ricken. Nobody liked Ricken.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I was surprised how much I liked Oboro. She's one of the few Fates characters I feel like has a personality beyond her gimmick, and she actually has a lot going on.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Y'all should stop voting for Setsuna. This is the one map where she's useful.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I'm normally pretty averse to deploying prepromotes who only support with the main character (I never really gave Flavia, Basillio, or Say'ri much of a chance), but Scarlet is cool enough to make it in regardless.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

I'll go with the safe choices Azama and Mozu.

This.

It's me, I am the boring FE player.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
This is about the time in the plot where I seriously started getting irritated by Azura's inability to just be honest, and Corrin's inability to actually follow through. It's so dumb on both ends, and so obvious.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I like Rinkah, but I don't like her enough to forgive 4 1-stat levels.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
It's kind of sad how well Chrom, Lissa, and Fred come across in comparison to most of the Fates crew, even in just a brief meeting here.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I actually like having staves as a backup on Falcon Knights and Corrin. It gives them something to do when they aren't killing people, and it's nice to have options when it comes to healing.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
They had the real potential to do something different and interesting with this whole Astral Plane business. Like, it could have been that we were put in charge of a team of do-gooders from beyond time and space, who show up out of the blue to slay evil like Garon and then vanish without a trace. Really play up that these folks are living in an extradimensional castle that can appear anywhere Corrin is, and their next generation are being raised as soldiers to continue the good fight. Something that indicates that they put at least a modicum of thought into the implications of this whole setup. Instead, they completely half-assed it.

Also: Hinoka is good, because red-headed Pegasus knights are good. Doesn't mean she should marry Corrin, but I can't say it's the worst choice. Also: It's weird how they act in the B- support like both Corrin and Hinoka know that they aren't blood related, but then do this nonsense with the S-support.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I've got nothing against Little Boy Blue, but I'm voting to bench every child character out of principle (with, admittedly, one exception)

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Midori is one of the better kids. I know that's a low bar, but she clears it reasonably well.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I was just going through Fort Dragonwhatever in my own file, and I found that...the faceless never stopped spawning. I brought the B-team since they needed levels and supports, and I was able to promote 3 people and gained what must have been 40 levels throughout. Is there an actual limit, or could I have farmed until the cows came home?

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I actually feel like that cutscene had half-decent writing.

Shame about everything surrounding it.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Seriously, why couldn't we get Ryoma and Scarlet together in Birthright? Why is she Corrinsexual? They took one of the cooler characters and destroyed any chance at a personality she might have by giving her no supports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Sophie is good, as kids in this game go. Her enthusiasm is endearing. I also found this map to be an interesting challenge when I tried it in Birthright, trying to find an effective strategy that wasn't "Ryoma murders everything and sucks up all the XP".

• Locked thread