Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

Because he has to unlock the upgrading mechanism, of course.

But it turns out the upgrading mechanism was inside us all along! So, again. Need him. Why:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

I'd argue that Treehouse was dealt a bad hand, and the localization mostly served to highlight just how badly handled the original script for Fates was. Plus, they had to get the script done in under a year after Fates' Japanese release, further compounding the issue. And since someone's going to ask "But why didn't 8-4 do the localization?", they were backed up with other work and the earliest 8-4 would have been able to get Fates out would have roughly been November or December of 2016, IIRC. And given how poorly managed Fates has been, from the "bordering on purposefully doing a loving awful job to earn a quick paycheck" quality control to the absolute lack of advertising for Western audiences, I doubt even 8-4 would have been able to salvage anything more than Treehouse did.

Looking at the timeline, there was probably overlap between the SoV and Fates localization on top of that. A game with that much VA is something of a nightmare to manage to begin with, especially if you're doing a bunch of other projects at the same time. Not well suited to dealing with Fates as well.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

Anyway, human magic...won't work on me...
Human magic?
Why won't it? You don't mean you're—!

It's always something involving a dragon in this franchise....

Can I call bullshit here?

Because "Anyway, human magic...won't work on me..." is notable bullshit even by Fates standards. Human magic worked on Tiki just fine. Even final bosses like Grima and Duma, major mythic figures, take scratch damage. You might not be able to kill them with human magic, but you can make them hurt all the same.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fun fact! Thanks to skirmishes, you can marry Scarlet before this mission, and even recruit the kid. You may wonder what that changes.

Nothing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Shakespeare this ain't.

Normally, I'd make a Timon of Athens joke here, but the writing in Fates falls below even that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

Hinata seems to be modeled after Dieck and Gerik, a swordsman with good bases and bad growths. the difference is that dieck and gerik were in games with way worse growths, so the other units didnt lap them as quickly.

They also didn't have a unit show up in their class a couple chapters later with better bases, growths, and a custom weapon that would be broken even if 1-2 hadn't been nerfed.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

theshim posted:

Oh, yeah, changing my vote to Mozu, forgot about her.

On my first run each of Conquest and Birthright, Mozu became the next Queen.

And then she can kill Ryoma and rule Hoshido!

I'm pretty sure that's how succession works around here, anyway. Only way Mikoto being queen makes sense.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

Ah Ryoma. You somehow are a worse father than Leo, who couldn't stand that his son dressed in woman's clothing. At least he realized that he was wrong, and tried to move past his prejudice.

Also, you know, that's kind of a tricky situation. Leo tried, got something he wasn't prepared for, hosed up, and then when called on it tried his best to make things right while admitting his faults.

Meanwhile, Ryoma... yeah. He didn't even try.

For all the game tries to portray Ryoma and Xander as paragons, they're pretty terrible people.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

Selkie's one of those kids that are only slightly affected by their mother's hair, as you see the small purple strand.

No good. It's gone. No fair, flying and stuff.
Guess I'll just have to learn to fly too. Doesn't sound too hard. I'll just find the tallest tree around here and jump.

Considering she's at least, what, a quarter dragon, this is slightly less idiotic than it would normally be.

That said... yeah. Wow. She's definitely her mother's daughter. Cynthia looks like a Rhodes scholar in comparison.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ajkalan posted:

Nyx. Accept no substitutes.

If we weren't accepting substitutes, we wouldn't be getting this kid at all.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Oh god, this is the most uncomfortable Futurama bullshit.

Yep. And Severa's got some major character regression in the supports. It's just weird, the whole thing. And, like most times Fates gets weird, not in the good way.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gilgamesh255 posted:

...Quick, someone get some fanfiction writers on this! They can't do any worse than the actual writers did!

With all due disrespect for the writing in Fates, this isn't even close to accurate.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Well now it makes sense why everyone was so keen to make Nyx the mother!

Also love that Hayato knew his daughter was getting into dark magic (in a world where dark magic is a real thing that exists, with observable and typically disastrous consequences) and just went "Eh, this'll probably work itself out." Then left Rhajat to her own devices for the next 5 or 6 years. The way Fates presents the Deeprealm makes the entire 1st generation less likeable by turning them all into comically terrible parents.

A reminder: Tharja didn't let her daughter get into dark magic for fear of what it would do to her.

Tharja.

Fates parents are the worst.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

cdyoung posted:

Can I just requote myself from like ten or so pages back about how I think the people who oversaw this translation project were, at minimum complete idiots?

I think they just couldn't care.

And I can't blame them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

I wonder why Treehouse dropped the ball so hard on this localization. Like I know they can do better, so this is just really disappointing to see and hear about.

A ton of text in a short time amounts for half of it, I think. We're talking about, what, twice the script size of Awakening? Three times?

Now, you try to localize that in less time, and already you got problems. Worse, it's all that work for a Fates, a game that, while it might have done better with voice in the original Japanese, still had wild inconsistencies everywhere and sucked aside from them. That makes it much harder to bring the motivation to make characters interesting, instead of getting something that more-or-less works, then going home for a beer.

Add in pre-release controversies to complicate things and possibly throw off some timelines in an attempt to prevent PR disasters (The Forrest/Soleil support was pretty much ground up rewritten, if memory serves), and it's understandable the game's not going to be up to past standards. Disappointing, but understandable.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bruceski posted:

What was that one? I know the Soleil/Corrin support had issues but I can't dig anything up for Forrest.

I can't vouch for source reliability, but as far as I've seen... you know how Soleil would get sexual harassment notes from HR normally?

The original version of that support is her turned up to twelve.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

I was surprised when I saw that some moms just completely tanked the growths for their kids. I don't think Awakening was as severe, so you could pretty much pair up any mom with any of the men and still get a battering ram of a kid

Awakening provided a flat stat bonus from the parents's stats and went with a different growth formula. (Kid growth+dad growth+mom growth/3 instead of kid's growth plus mom's.) Add in overall higher growths in Awakening, and it's pretty easy to see why Fates's kids are mechanically different.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

facepalmolive posted:

:gonk:

I take back everything.

And you wondered why the localizers didn't give a gently caress when working on the script.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

The whole thing about how you HAVE to kill the enemy kid units is so loving confusing, especially if you've come from any other fire emblem game. First time I played this I thought you lost her if you killed her, so I managed to trap her in the topmost room with the treasure, with Effie (who was her mother) blocking off her exit. If nothing else, it made for a pretty funny mental image.

I did about the same thing.

I know I keep saying it (because it keeps being true), but Fates has so many areas that just feel sloppy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Since they're done, I figure I should point out (possibly again, Fates writing melts my cognitive abilities something fierce.) a major difference between the Fates and Awakening paralogues.

In Awakening, you aren't there for the kid. Well, the player is, but the characters aren't. The mission has some standard paralogue motive (bandit raids, lost treasure, mansion of the undead), which is why Chrom comes stomping in, and then it turns out, hey, what are the odds, a kid is there. Maybe in danger, maybe fighting the same people you're after, maybe even working with the villains, but they're narratively a side point, with the mission concluding properly even if you kill them.

Meanwhile, in Fates, the whole point of the mission is the kid. Including getting a scene with them even if they get killed.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

And then what? Does he just turn people into dumb purple ghosts?

And then the ghosts will let him fight his true enemy.

Pac-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Birthright, for the record, was written by a different team. Revelation was written by the same contractors who did the supports.

• Locked thread