Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Omobono posted:

:stare:
They have an AoE mind control barrier, and of a decent size too.
They have a loving mind control barrier able to cover a nation.

Did the writers realize that is the kind of horrifying poo poo that can make emperor Evil mcBeard seem like a sane alternative?

Barrier, not net. Barrier. It's like a bead curtain those hippies used to have back in the 70's or whenever. The people inside aren't affected by anything beyond the lack of war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I really enjoyed the Awakening LP. This... it starts with anime French maids as a class in combat and goes downhill from there.

Why are turn-based squad tactics games like Fire Emblem and X-COM so rare?

Well, you can't make the game too similar because you risk everyone accusing you of ripping off another one. But the turn-based SRPG games aren't really that rare. They're usually more like FFTactics though. The problem is finding good ones. Because if people can do whatever you can end up with Stella Glow and I can't think of any other ones from the 2010's.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

Devil Survivor series, Metal Gear Acid, Wasteland 3, Invisible INC, etc.

I play lots of sprg, there's always 1-2 every few months and even more if you broaden to squad based turn based combat like Divinity: Original Sin.

Oh I'm sure there are plenty, I just haven't got a good memory and can't recall any of them off the top of my head for whatever reason. I dunno if any of them follow the squad system like Xcom though. Most of what I can think of is pretty much Tactic-ish or like Fire Emblem.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 17, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ohmygorgon posted:

Fair enough, and don't get me wrong, even by the low standards set by Fire Emblem and video games in general, I think Fates has a poor story. I just think it's strange that all across the internet, people just hate this game's story so much, when the series already had the bar set pretty low. Even Awakening had an incredibly generic Fire Emblem story, the only element to make it particularly unique it from every other Fire Emblem is the time travel shenanigans, which was really more for having adult children to fight with you than it was a compelling plot point. At the very least, it is interesting to see Fates try to shake things up, even though it's a minor shake up at best.

I feel like you're equating original with good here.

Endorph posted:

I liked Stella Glow more than 2/3rds of Fates.

I'm guessing it being one game as opposed to 3 with a story for two at the most helps. And that's including padding as well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Look, I know Days of Ruin was a change-up but it's still a good game even if it didn't have Lash or Sonja

also please don't tell me if it came out before 2010 i don't want to think about how long it's been since the last Advance wars

I never played any of the Advance Wars games, actually. Never looked like my cup of tea. I'm just using it as an example because I can think of menu-JRPGs but turn based stuff like this just makes me draw a big blank for whatever reason.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If you didn't like Elise, you are scum.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

What the gently caress is even going on at this point? :psyduck:

Well, if I had to put it in words I'd say that Hoshido is starting too...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Strangely enough, this is only the second time I've seen someone get so angry that their body couldn't handle it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

He PLANNED for Lilith to turn into a dragon and save Corrin, therefore Rinkah or someone will just take him alive back to Hoshido??? What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2ZQxEzqA5s&t=113s

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cokerpilot posted:

Can Ryoma actually win that fight or with RNG luck or are the numbers scripted on it?

He can, someone else mentioned it happening on their playthrough.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Emperordaein posted:

It's kind of amazing how badly Garon damages not just the plot, but also the characterisations of the Nohr siblings, when they have to be loyal to King :moreevil:

Either you're 100% loyal to the king or your stuff gets blown up and kills you. Xander's got a pretty rad sword. I bet that thing could do some real damage...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

Wait a minute, I thought the different paths were sold separately? How does offering the in-game choice work, then?

Or wait, do Conquest and Birthright not have the option, but Revelations does, maybe?

The options are greyed out based on which game you have. If you have Birthright, you can't side with Nohr and vice-versa.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

They're probably named for the fact that they're small enough to be concealed with ease.

Yeah, it makes sense once you've figured it out but before that it just sounds like someone's talking about rare items like character weapons in Awakening.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MightyPretenders posted:

Why would you need to figure it out? the first thing we see when attacking with them is the butler producing them from his sleeves/the maid kicking one up from her shoes.

I'm literally talking to someone who thought it was something completely different. So, first time experience is why.

Bruceski posted:

"Hidden weapons" is an odd name for those things. First time I saw people talking about it I assumed it was some secret unlockable that everyone just assumed everyone else knew about.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

Missing stuff is what the third game is for.

Exactly.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

PSkill: Wind Disciple-When user’s HP is not full, Hit rate and Avoid +10

Fuuga is a promoted unit, specially one of Mozu's promotion options. Their utility is basically weapon triangle control, with A sword and B lance/axe.

As far as Fates bosses go, they tend to have custom selection of skills from any class. Sometimes, they even have abilities that are enemy-only. For this encounter, Fuga's main weakness is not having any 2 range weapon which seems like a weird oversight for Fire Emblem. They usually have one.

The mace he's carrying is 1-2 ranged and enemy only.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If Oboro's attack animations weren't so neat to watch, I think I'd like her less.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kagero's strength capping at 20 is kinda annoying though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vilkacis already proved that archers can be good if they got decent growths and Takumi's a perfect example of it.

Him being one of the guys and getting an absurdly good weapon for being a male royal is only further reinforcement.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Supports are weird.

I forgot that Reina showed up here. Good thing she did.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Junpei posted:

Shouldn't Kaden be on the list? I know you can use him on this map.

I'm pretty sure he's automatically deployed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hana generally turns out pretty well for me, personally but I'm not gonna argue about her not being exceptional. Personally, I don't think the 'Hardworking and intensely training-focused' character archetype has been done well at all since Mia.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

inthesto posted:

Why does this series hate axes so much :(

It's only Rinkah that's a problem. Nohr has all the good axe users, for some reason. I mean, I'm sure it's because Nohr uses all the old classes and Hoshido uses different ones but still :shrug: anyhow.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

My Vaike turned out amazing with high hp, str, speed and good def. I think ya'll are just JEALOUS of the VAIKE

Vaike, Ricken, and Virion haven't really done that well with me, personally.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 8, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

Well, I guess everyone has their vices. That said, gluing stuff to your weapon sounds like it'd make it less useful in some way (either blunting its edge, throwing the balance off, or just plain making it impractically heavy)...

I'm pretty sure Fire Emblem isn't that worried with weapon weights.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shop inventories rotate if you do enough battles in between right?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

inthesto posted:

They update when you upgrade them, and store upgrades are gated by what chapter you're on.

Also, I voted to class change Azura purely for shits and giggles, especially since Birthright is the path where it's very easy to get away without her singing ability. If friendship/partner seals were up, I'd have suggested making her a cavalier with Silas, since oni savage and fighter aren't available to her on this path. Oh well.

I meant refresh. So, say at one point I buy a Guard Naginata and want to buy more.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

You only get that many until the next upgrade.

drat, so the only things you can buy an infinite number of are the ones that have an infinity symbol for quantity? That kinda sucks for all the more varied stuff.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I forgot to ask earlier, am I crazy for not using Scarlet and Ryoma as soon as I got them? I just held off since they seemed too powerful to use since they're so far ahead of everyone else.

I'm also a wuss who plays on Casual Normal Birthright though so it's not like it would've mattered though but still.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

McGwee posted:

Maybe try using Ryoma to murder the dlc? You get your overpowered fun without ruining the story fun...?

I just used obscenely powerful (probably hacked) online characters and a special sword you're probably not guaranteed to get for that.

Which is also the reason you'd be a fool for grinding your way through beating Garon legitimately.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think the first explosion may've been the dark magic that murdered that first wolfman.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Great Lord Oboro.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BrightWing posted:

Pretty sure these are the only two options:

It's not stopping me~

I can just get ignored if that's not an option, obviously.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

flora doing suicide, marrying a sibling, and then reminding me of the ludicrously stupid way they did children all in a row like this is too much, my brain is dead

Everyone got feet but we had to sacrifice so much for them.*

*Worldbuilding, pants, characterization

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

Goddamn those Master of Arms animations are slickkk

Yeah, I promoted her to that either Conquest or Birthright and I was like 'whoa, go Mozu!'

She's been turning out great in my Revelations playthrough.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Leo's not even a sorcerer

his class can only use Anima magic

his personal tome summons a goddamn tree

what is with all this "darkness" poo poo

Seriously, he's the guy who spared the random prisoners at the request of his little brother, now he's going all necromancer on us? When the hell did this happen?

That's what happens to your brain on Garon.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

does anyone remember the last time sakura had a line?

Probably way back when Takumi was sick.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

Elise is an adult, everyone is an adult

Yeah. Some of them being like 4' 11" like Hayato throws me off sometimes but I agree.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

you can capture her with orochi and she'll retain her unique model/cut-in and such but she won't have any supports. she also has unique growths, incidentally. The two bandit bosses in Kanna's paralogue are also like that, same with Funke.

It's a lot quicker to say that pretty much anyone not story significant with a picture can be captured.

Because then you get Zola. ...Or Flora as outliers.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blue Labrador posted:

Oh wow, I'm used to Fates having turbo garbo writing, but I kinda really liked that Orochi-Kagero support? There were some moments in that that I really dug.

Even if they don't turn out great mechanically every time, they're written pretty decently, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

So to save you like an extra hour of this map, just always Dragon Vein the spot under the white orb.

Aw gently caress.

• Locked thread