Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

For all the flak Fates gets, I do like when they go for the little touches, like Leo's inside-out collar. It's only for this one scene, yet they went ahead and made a full second model of Leo just for a single comedy moment.

That said, I will echo Tae's complaint about the Boon/Bane being in fancy code words instead of outright telling you what stat is affected. Some make sense, like Unlucky for the Luck Bane and Sturdy for the Defense Boon, but how am I supposed to know that Calm is the Resistance Boon and that Dull is the Magic Bane right off the bat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ajkalan posted:

I'm a fan of Garon's ashen-gray, sunken-eyed, obviously evil portrait. It's the silly two-color beard that pulls it together.
It gets more hilarious if you imagine the one tiny patch of jet black hair on his chin is what Garon's hair color used to be, and you notice that none of his children have jet black hair. Which becomes double hilarious when you realize that outside of two exceptions, all of the children in the game inherit their mother's hair color.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

So the royal adviser's name is Iago huh? Subtle.
His Japanese name is Macbeth, if you can believe it.

Also, Garon's happy portrait is the best. :allears:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I don't know why this sticks with me, but for some reason Saizo saying "MY NAME IS SAIZO" is a fully voiced line, and something about the VA's inflection on it makes it sound like he's working a tech support phone line and he's really grouchy.
The voiced lines in the game feel very uneven, to the point that some of the voice clips come off as a "one take and done" recording. IIRC, the English voice actors were just handed a card with a short blurb about who they were voicing and then told to go from there without any other context or direction. No gameplay videos or cutscenes to help the VAs learn about their characters, just "here's the character's quirks and bio, go do whatever" and the director called it a day. Some of the voice actors are able to take this curve ball and pull off good performances, while others sadly just come up short.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

A new twist in Fates is monopoly on S weapon ranks. Usually, only one class across both Hoshido and Nohr can have an S rank in a weapon. Curiously, Servants are the holders of S rank for staves, so they solidify as the healing class. Unfortunately since Hidden Weapons are mostly physical, weaker strength characters like Elise may not want to promote to a Maid with her sky-high MAG but pathetic STR.
Yeah, that might be one of the problems with Maids/Butlers: their main weapon type skews opposite of what they want to do (healing). Only two weapons in the shuriken/dagger family are magic-based, and getting them is...not easy. One is only found through the Castle Visiting system under the Battle Points rewards or through another gameplay element, and while the other is a Hoshidan weapon and slightly easier to get, it carries the weapon drawbacks that other non-tome magical weapons have. As a result, Felicia is going to not be as useful as Jakob is on offense because she skews heavily towards magic over strength. Likewise, Jakob is going to be less useful than Felicia because his magic stat isn't too great so he won't handle the healing job well.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

I dunno, there's only one person who could have that beard in the last blurry flashback.
No, clearly that was Garon's long deceased twin brother Norag.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ozdhaka posted:

Yeah, and that lack of a deft hand on the writing team meant I was struggling to not just hit Start and just go ignore the story altogether. I had a hard time slogging through the plots of the three paths as well as other associated bits, but we'll get to them when we get to them.
This is probably my biggest complaint with Fates. There are people listed as editors and the like in the credits, but sweet merciful Christ do they absolutely fail at their job. If just one of the editors (either on the original staff or the localization team) had put their foot down and took control of the ship, a lot of the problems with Fates' story might have been smoothed out.

If anything, Fates is a lesson on what happens when too many people are focused on doing the same job and don't step back to see the bigger picture before it's too late.

Tae posted:

While those two were yapping away, Kaze was busy cleaning up the surrounding enemies. He loves speed and only speed, so get used to seeing these type of gains.
Yeah...that's Kaze alright. He's useful, but if I had the power to tell him to gain something besides speed, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The guy refuses to even look at his strength, luck or defense gains at times and it gets frustrating very quickly.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Emperordaein posted:

So if you put any kind of thought into this, the barrier kind of has horrifying implications about potential control of the populace, the nobility's obsession with order and maintaining a regime, and all that jazz. In the hands of a good writer, this could lead to a fantastic dichotomy between the two nations. Think Ultima VII: Part 2, and how it explored the evil that can come with devoting one's self to pure order and pure chaos. This would be a great angle to take for the story, right?

Ahahahahahahahahaha... :suicide:
In all honesty, I would not be surprised that at one point, that was the intended plan with the kingdoms: Nohr is the one where the corruption is in plain view and has an obvious source, while Hoshido has the corruption be more behind the scenes and coming from unlikely sources. Thus, it'd make the actions of the player carry more weight because there is now an ultimate goal of reform on both sides of the fence--er, mountain range.

But alas, that's not what we got. And to think Conquest is the path with allegedly the most cut content from the original outline. I can only imagine what was cut from Birthright's original outline.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The best way to explain some of the plot beats in Fates is that the writing process feels like the ending of a plot thread was written first, then the process of reaching that ending was written.

Take what just happened, for instance. The plot thread has been structured to end on "Mikoto dies shielding her child from the shrapnel of an exploding magical sword after being reunited for the first time in years." and then went about writing how the story gets there (all of chapter 4 and the lead-in to this chapter). Except, anyone who has written even a short story will tell you that is not how you write story progression. Mikoto was only just introduced to us as a character in the last chapter, let alone as Corrin's biological mother. And now she's dead, because the plot thread's ending has already been written and that is where the story must go.

Had this happened as say, the conclusion to the first act, it would not be as bad as it is. We would have had time to know Mikoto and perhaps learn more about what happened to Corrin in the past. But this chapter is essentially part 5 of the game's prologue, and now this important named character that we just met has died. We have had almost no time to get to know Mikoto and now the player is expected to feel sad that this person is dead because of her selfless sacrifice to protect her child. The problem is that Mikoto's death comes off as pointless and leaves the player confused as to what is going on, thus undermining her death's impact greatly.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

And, as is often the case in Fates, Awakening is around to play Gallant.

While Emmeryn isn't the most interesting character in the game, she's around for long enough that the player knows her, and more importantly, probably cares about characters connected to her and has a stake in their reactions. Emm dying wasn't just about her. It was about what it did to Chrom, Frederick, and Lissa. Moreover, her death lead directly into some big narrative beats, rather than being almost forgotten once it was done. It had room to breathe.

Meanwhile, Fates just rushes through the opening to get to The Big Decision it's always playing up, and it means nothing feels like it has weight.
And there's probably the best comparison between Awakening and Fates. Emmeryn was given time to develop and grow, while Mikoto is removed from the story as fast as she is introduced.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

Dragonstones in Fate are interesting. They are 14 MT weapons, but they count as magic weapons and are only 1 range. You can't double in dragon form, but your stats change with +4 DEF, +3 and -3 SKL, -2 SPD. You change into a magical tank unit that hits hard once.
The other interesting thing about dragonstones is that you cannot sell them. If you don't run with the classes that use dragonstones, they are just going to sit in storage taking up space. My guess is that dragonstones count as unique weapons like Raijinto and Yato, thus they cannot be sold in order so the player doesn't accidentally sell off a superweapon.

I mention this because you can still buy them like normal items, despite being unable to sell them. Because...:psyduck:?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MightyPretenders posted:

Because there's a way to get three Dragonstone users at once, but only two of them have a stone by default.
Oh, I know that. My complaint is that, like a lot of things in the game, the presentation could have been handled a little bit smoother.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I do find it funny that for the big dramatic shot of the siblings, only three of them (Leo, Xander, and Ryoma) decided to strike a cool pose. Sakura is her usual timid self looking away from the camera, while the rest are doing their best "deer in headlights" face, especially Hinoka and Takumi.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

PSkill: Competitive-When user is the lead unit and their Level is lower than their support unit’s Level, Critical rate +10, damage +3 and damage received -1

Competitive is a weird skill. You're basically forcing a higher level unit on your party to disappear to give Takumi extra power. I guess Corrin can eventually be that, since his skills gives him faster EXP I guess? It's not like he needs the PSkill because he has

The Fujin Yumi. Yeah, that's right. 14 mt, default +2 resistance for a Yumi, and an ability that basically lets him dominate forested and sandy areas.

Combined that with Quick Draw, a default level 10 Archer ability that gives +4 damage when attacking, and he's one-shotting most enemies without effort.
Yeah, let's just highlight this little number once more. Takumi is perhaps this game's undisputed Best Archer, let alone in the entire franchise. What's not explained by Fujin Yumi's blurb is that it's "negate terrain movement penalties" effect doesn't require Takumi to equip Fujin Yumi, just have it in his inventory like Siegfried and Raijinto's bonuses.

And you know what? With the help of reclassing and Fates' support system, Takumi can get even more overpowered.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So fire emblems insistence on having dragons has come full circle.
Gotta have them dragons. Dragon protag, dragon sidekick, dragon royals, dragon veins, dragon pocket dimension, dragon magic, rideable dragons, dragon gumbo.
Loadsa bullshit about dragons.

wheres a fuckin wyrmslayer when you need one
I'm sorry to tell you that dragon gumbo is not in this game. Everything else, however, is in this game.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

Hoshido is the bad guys and Nohr is uh

i don't know what Purple means
Nohr likes the Minnesota Vikings, obviously.

Purple People Eaters, anyone?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Huh? Why? Anything that has grogs raging has my interest.
I would assume those people thought Conquest would be similar to Awakening, not realizing that Conquest is built more around strategies from much earlier games or having to understand the AI's behavior and exploiting weaknesses.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

My Castle is a nice experiment in Fates. Having all shops and resources in one big hub area is a neat idea and saves time on having to send some people off to do supply runs like in older games. My one complaint overall is that the gems and food stuffs are random based on your route of choice, and I don't think there is a way to tell what ones your castle will have until you reach this first intermission. It would be nice to know what I'm getting ahead of time since I find that some weapon types are much more useful than others, and can plan accordingly.

The multiplayer battling is okay, but I do wish it was less of a slog to gain Battle Points since the rewards for doing those are just as useful as the ones you get for Visit Points. Like, want a free Wrymslayer? Go grind out 1150 BP. I only mention this because you always get VP regardless of what you do in another player's castle, whereas you have to choose to battle someone else to gain BP, and sometimes they are specced for serious competitive fights rather than simple casual battles/easy seizes. And it is easy for someone to put "EASY SEIZE!!" in their castle's name, only to be outright lying and have an overpowered team of defenders that will crush you.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lunethex posted:

Why is this a thing :psyduck:
Oh, it gets better.

A future character's personal skill is specifically relegated to My Castle battles. As in, the character might as well not have a personal skill at all.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, Hana and Subaki are weird units. Hana at least has some elements of a normal myrmidon unit but with terrifyingly low HP and defense growths. Subaki, on the other hand? He doesn't know what he wants to do outside of giving you a pegasus right off the bat like games past have done. I guess the joke is that even though he claims to be perfect, Subaki is in fact not perfect when it comes to growths? :shrug:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And now we have our Christmas Cavaliers together again finally! Except they're ninjas this time. Speaking of the actual cavalier, yes Silas is drat good. A good mounted class plus a decent reclass option in Mercenary, how can you go wrong with him? Oh right, his join time in Revelation isn't all that great, even if he's the best/second best person you get on that stage.

Orochi...oof. Her speed growth is by far one of the lowest in the game (only Gunter and one other Conquest character have a lower speed growth), and I have yet to have an Orochi with more than 18 speed total (including promotion bonuses). She'd be a nice magical nuke, but she's so slow and brittle that I find that it's better to train someone else over her.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The one trap with Mozu is that she's not Donny. They may have similar backgrounds (simple country folk from a farming town that start off using lances), but while Donny turns into a beast after some levels and a reclass, Mozu is going to need a little time thanks to Aptitude being rebalanced. At least Villager can promote...into either a garbage class (Merchant) or a decent but not too hot class (Master of Arms). Still, her reclass option is Archer, aka one of the best classes in the game, so Mozu definitely works as a backup bow user on Birthright.

On Conquest, however....:getin:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Since his replacement just showed up, dump Subaki.

Give the robe to Sakura so she can last a bit longer.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

While Hinoka is a good Pegasus Knight (way better than Subaki, though that's not hard to do), I've also found her to be a drat good Spear Fighter as well. Which would be very useful except Hinoka then runs into competition with another Hoshidan unit for that role. Also, the Guard Naginata is probably one of the better naginata weapons, if only for that ludicrous +5 Def/Res. Hinoka can hold her own very well, even if she never gets a fancy weapon like her brothers do.

Which brings to light how underwhelming her two retainers are. Setsuna, while her characterization is hilarious, is probably the worst bow user Birthright offers. Even taking Takumi out of the equation, all other people with bow access will be better than her (note: I've never explored Orochi as an Apothecary, so she could be as bad as Setsuna) due to Setsuna's stats being so lopsided. Sure, she'll be readily doubling opponents, but...that's about it. At least she can be helpful in the castle shops offering discounts towards buying or forging bows. And then there's Azama, who absolutely wants to be in a physical class instead of a magical one. Like, I sort of can see why as the Great Master class offers a big strength bonus on promotion, but it really is not worth the trouble and Sakura or Felicia are way better healer options. Oddly enough, he'd probably make a good Oni Savage choice with that base growth distribution.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

I haven't played Birthright, but Hayato seems pretty good to me? Bases are alright for a level 1, good growths, joins early enough, and if his Personal activates on a double, that's a hefty +6 damage. But I'm pretty sure I've read a lot of bad reviews about him, what am I missing here?
Hayato is a victim of the characterization direction for most of Fates' cast, which is: "Here's my character gimmick. Now, hold my beer while I run this gimmick so far into the ground I hit the planet's core and then some". As others mention, Hayato takes Ricken's problems of "wants to be treated as an adult, except gets seen as the child he is" and amplifies them to insane levels without providing some interesting content to offset his behavior (like how the Ricken/Henry support actually delved into the latter's troubled past or Ricken trying to learn more about Gregor's exploits as a mercenary). Hayato brings almost none of the good qualities of Ricken to the table, which is a huge letdown because he could be a good unit overall. He doesn't have Orochi's speed issues, and thanks to his growths is the only character that can actually work as an Oni Chieftain (this promoted class uses axes/tomes, except the other people who have the class are all physical-based units) in theory. The problem is getting past Hayato's absolutely frustrating personality, and that is something that hurts Hayato more than you think. Props to Ben Diskin for pulling off Hayato's "haughty and arrogant laugh" voice clip wonderfully, though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The important thing with Raider weapons is that their unique clothing stripping ability triggers whenever the RNG straight up feels like doing it. Sometimes it's the first blow, sometimes it happens when you land a critical hit or trigger and connect with an offensive skill, sometimes it doesn't even happen at all. On the other hand, +3 to effective speed in combat is by far the biggest appeal of the Raider weapons, as those who have low speed growths or get speed screwed by the RNG benefit from the added boost. The Raider Yumi is a perfect tool for training up an Archer Mozu so she doesn't have to suffer through the letdown of Brass weapons, for instance. Or anyone else who you want to learn a new weapon type either through reclass or promotion, for that matter.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Raider weapons trigger when you have a weapon advantage (so in the case of Raider Katanas, against a bow- or axe- wielding opponent).

ohmygorgon posted:

I'm almost positive that is not true. The Raider Weapons stripping ability activates whenever you have the weapon triangle advantage. A unit's armor can break apart and get torn up as they take damage, but that is totally independent from the Raider Weapons, which remove everything as soon as they hit.
Oh yes, I know that's the specific situation where it triggers. However, I've been in cases where I had a WTA and the clothing stripping did not trigger. Might just be a weird quirk of my cartridge then.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Can't remember off the top of my head, but I think the clothing strip only triggers when you initiate the attack.

Either that, or you just didn't have the Raider weapon equipped.
Maybe. Lord knows I've failed to remember what weapons I've equipped. Or what an enemy has equipped when I think they can't reach my units.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yay, Oboro's here! Welcome to probably one of the best units not just on Birthright, but from Fates overall. A fun character with interesting personality and an excellent unit to throw at enemies. Admittedly, she gets the most out of her personal skill on the Birthright path, but that's probably her biggest letdown, everything else about her is worth the investment. Probably my biggest gripe about Oboro has nothing to do with her as a unit in combat, but more a dumb thing with how the Accessory Shop works. She's someone who's into fashion, yet only gives a discount for one accessory category (hats). You'd think she'd give a discount to all accessories, but nope, just the one category.

As for Hinata, I get that he's supposed to be along the lines of a dumb meathead dudebro (we'll get to that in his supports), but he's probably the weirdest Samurai in the game. Hana wants to be an extreme hit-and-run Samurai, Ryoma is death incarnate out of the box (spoilers), and the fourth Samurai we'll get to later. But Hinata? He wants to be more akin to a Fighter or a Knight or even his reclass option Oni Savage: a big wall of HP and Defense that tanks hits and dishes out hefty damage. Of course, by this point you have raised Rinkah enough that she can do that job on top of just getting Oboro who does the job just as well, which makes Hinata rather superfluous. Still, can't say no to someone who can tank a hit and keep going, even if there are better people for the job.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

CptWedgie posted:

On a side note, it's kinda funny how everyone's so convinced that Zola's eccentric act couldn't possibly be how the real Izana acts... and then they meet him, and that's EXACTLY how he behaves. I mean, "Oh, ancient gods... What's up?" indeed.
It's probably the best punchline to all of this; yes, the leader of a neutral region with divine spiritual power is in fact, a colossal dork. I can only imagine how Mikoto and Sumeragi handled Izana in the past.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Slight corrections on the two weapons we just picked up: Setsuna's Yumi gives a -4 Skill/Def/Res debuff, and the Pine Branch also has 10 Crit and -10 Avoid.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

There are a few reasons why you'd want to take Takumi out of the Archer class, and all of them are for skills that make him even more of an one-man walking apocalypse. First off, two of his Friendship supports reward him with Samurai, which allows him access to Vantage and Astra. Vantage alone is worth the effort because Takumi can effectively counter people first and wreck them before they get a chance to attack. And Astra is the same as it was in Awakening: "5 hits at reduced damage", meaning Takumi can deliver the pain in even larger doses. The other is from one of the Spear Fighter promotions, Rend Heaven (Basara, level 5). This skill allows you to add half of an enemy's listed Strength or Magic stat (depends on what weapon you use, e.g., a magic weapon applies the enemy's magic stat) to your attack as added damage, much like how Dragon Fang works. I say "listed" because if an enemy has been debuffed/has other stat reductions, Rend Heaven will use that reduced stat number instead of the unmodified stat number for the calculations.

Did we also mention the Dual weapon for bows is a yumi? Because it is. Takumi's one painfully glaring stat flaw (his Resistance) is now a relative non-issue thanks to flipping the weapon triangle around. Takumi can effectively solo nearly everything in the game with only the bare minimum of loadouts, and the few that survive will be left as easy pickings for the rest of the team. The only other real issue with Takumi is his lackluster personal skill. In order to work properly, it means keeping him underleveled or overleveling the rest of the team to take advantage of it, which is not worth it in the long run.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

Corrin, you dumb poo poo, kill Zola already
Hey, he's got a free meat shield that doesn't cost a deployment slot. Corrin's just using his resources wisely.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

Meanwhile, Corrin one-shots a couple more Wyverns and gains...speed again??? Now he has more speed than defense with the literal opposite banes and boons
Funny story about my first run through Conquest. I took Speed boon and Luck bane (with Cavalier talent). My Corrin's first stat to cap...was her Luck stat as a Paladin. So no, you're not alone in the "Corrin, do you actually understand what a boon and a bane are?" department.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

It is pretty annoying that avatarsexuals in this game cannot support with anyone just the main character, with one exception.
Three exceptions. Two are on Conquest, and one is a Revelation-exclusive character.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

An interesting thing to note about Garon here is that he uses the General axe animations for his unique Nohrian King class. Except they didn't tweak them to account for Garon not holding a giant shield in his non-weapon hand, so he's always holding his left hand up in the air when idle.

On the other hand, it's a good thing Garon has the Dragon Skin ability and that Bolverk gives +20 Critical Dodge because that abysmal 4 Luck would mean that a few good critical hits would roast Garon quickly.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wallet Inspector posted:

Yeah, Kaden's problem is that his stat distribution and his class don't match up at all. High Res for a mage killer, but he can't attack at 2 range so he's strictly worse at it than the ninjas and servants. He has skills that make him effective against horse units, but poor defense reduces his effectiveness against them compared with using Oboro or a unit who joins shortly with a Beastkiller. His Conquest equivalent is much better IMO because that units bases and growths match up much better with an anti-cavalry class.
Yeah, this is pretty much Kaden's issue: he is presented as one thing (anti-beast specialist) up front, but is designed with something else in mind (magic user shutdown) when you look at him further. Coupled with his low defense, and he runs into Hana's problem of being too brittle for what you want him to do. Admittedly, he can patch this up with supports, as Hinata gives him the Samurai line, which can gel more with his speedy nature. While Fates did take some steps to make the beast shifters more viable than they were in Awakening, Kaden and his Conquest counterpart still fall short of being usable in their native classes without a lot of setups and skills. Although, I do agree said Conquest counterpart works better, but only by a small margin (and because he has a decent reclass option, unlike Kaden).

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ajkalan posted:

Yep, that looks like every attempt I made at using Rinkah beyond the intro chapters. She and the RNG aren't on good terms.
Same here. Every Fire Emblem just has those characters that the RNG dunks on whenever it gets a chance to, and Rinkah is one of them for me. Sometimes the RNG throws me a bone and lets her have or or two good levels, but after that it's ye olde pray to the RNG gods to not gently caress her over. Another one for me is Beruka, but we'll get to her when we get to Conquest.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah, Ryoma. I have rather interesting experiences using him and his 65% Skill growth. In that said growth rarely triggers for me. Case in point, note the 18 Skill he has now; I managed to get him up to level 15 in one run (mostly for Logbook purposes), and he only managed to get 3 points of Skill during that time. True, Raijinto can pretty much deadlift even a bad Ryoma into being viable, but...man, Ryoma has been weird for me as a unit.

But yes, the more important question on hand: how the gently caress did Ryoma fit all his hair into a typical General's suit of armor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

Horse Spirit-D rank, 4 mt, 70 hit, +3 SKL/SPD/DEF/RES

Wow, wow, wow. This single weapon makes scroll users completely amazing. It bumps Orochi up from dreadfully slow to on par or above some of the party members still on the battle roster.
Words cannot state how utterly bonkers this scroll is. Even just with that base 4 magic, it can be insanely powerful, especially in the hands of people with high magic. Those very critical boosted stats are just icing on the cake.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

The Great Club looks interesting, but you'd need a unit with a staggeringly high skill stat to use it effectively. I'm not sure any Birthright ax users fit that bill.
The best use of the Great Club requires a particular skill from the Archer line that patches up the accuracy issues. Granted, the skill just makes the Great Club an "use this on your turn while nothing else can get the jump on you" weapon instead of a high risk, high reward weapon. But, a Killer Axe will more viable more often than not, so the Great Club is just a quirky experiment at the end of the day.

• Locked thread