Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

:psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

Izana dies because reasons, and Takumi seems to be completely fine. Unless he turns out to be possessed later. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Revelations never use that plot point in any way.
Correct. The whole "Takumi is possessed by an unseen force" plotline is dropped. And no, it's not like it'll come up as a shocking twist at the end of the game or be referenced in a throwaway line, one of the biggest questions from Conquest that Revelation is supposed to explain is completely forgotten. Because gently caress you, that's why.

And then Izana's death. What can I say about it that isn't made obvious by the game itself? This was just bad writing, plain and simple. And what's worse is that the editors thought that this was a good thing, which infuriates me even further. This is not an emotional death used to motivate the player or something similar, this is a shock value death, one of the cheapest and dumbest ways to create tension and drama in a story. If you have to resort to shock value to continue the plot, you are a bad writer/editor, end of story.

MightyPretenders posted:

It feels like Izana was supposed to talk about Valla here and die that way, but they changed it at the last second.
And here's an insanely easy fix to the problem. Make it so Takumi (or Leo, for that matter) doesn't trust Corrine until she gives a name to the "hidden enemy", so Izana opts to sacrifice himself and reveal the truth to everyone gathered. Throw in "Izana had a vision of this event" or something, and boom, Izana's death has a purpose and is slightly less frustrating to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Slight correction: Orochi gained +1 Strength, +1 Magic, and +1 Skill in two levels. Admittedly, that's probably worse, but this is Revelation and writing painfully dumb plot points is more important to the staff than balancing the playable cast.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The only differences for Team Camilla are their starting items/weapon ranks. Camilla joins with a Hand Axe instead of a Thunder tome as her ranged weapon, Severa only joins with an Iron Sword, and both her and Beruka lost 50% of their respective weapon rank EXP compared to when they joined in Conquest. Yes, the weapon EXP changes for Severa and Beruka make little sense to me as well.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And now we have a chapter with a gimmick that I don't like, mostly because while they are trying to convey a town in ruins (and on surface presentation, do a decent job of that), the developers really overdid it with the number of bottlenecks/chokepoints in this map. The map is really cramped and limits movement options greatly. And despite having a couple of fliers on hand that would fix this issue, flying over rooftops is apparently too hard to program or something.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I've heard a theory that since the C support heavily implies/almost explicitly mentions that both Saizo and Beruka were child soldiers/assassins, the ESRB lost its mind and thus the change happened. It seems that apparently the ESRB objects to explicit or heavily implied mentions to child soliders, but is fine with the subject never being brought up on screen (See: the Halo series and how the Spartans were kidnapped as children and turned into child soldiers, but since most of that is mentioned in side material it gets a pass from the ESRB). It would make sense since the B support is unchanged, meaning the ESRB only saw the C support part.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

But again. "Beruka."
Her original name is spelled "ベルカ", and Beruka is a plausible translation, albeit a very literal translation.

Also there's apparently this:

Fire Emblem Wiki posted:

Beruka is a derivative of the name Beronica (the origin of the name Veronica), a name of Old Greek origin from φέρειν (phérein) "to bring", and νίκη, níkê, "victory", meaning "bearer of victory" or more literally "she who brings victory", possibly alluding to the fact that she completes most if not all her assignments/jobs.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

why didnt they name him usagi
A question that I also ask. You have a perfect rearrangement of Gaius' name...and you don't use it. What?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Heaven Spacey posted:

I'm sure Gaius has solved plenty of problems with ice cream cones.
Funny you should mention that, because his special Ylissean Summer variant for Heroes wields a candy bow that fires ice pop arrows.

No, really.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Weirder how Inigo has nothing to say if Severa attacks him.

You had one job...
Not to mention this is the first story chapter after recruiting her, when you'd have a best chance to do something like that. Hell, you could have lost both Saizo and Kagero in the previous map, but no, they manage to get conversations with Ryoma in this stage.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

As if this wasn't a stripped-down version of Conquest 10, there's one more issue that drags this stage down further: two of the three recruitable characters need to be recruit by the severely underleveled Elise (the third joins automatically after the stage, by the way).

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

theshim posted:

I like pairing the royals off to each other. Camilla/Takumi is...well, it's amusing.
To be fair, Takumi's supports with the Nohrian sisters boil down to "Takumi tries to act cool in the face of two people casually dunking on him/making him flustered."

Kiragi does benefit nicely from Camilla as a mother, however.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

cdyoung posted:

well, you have to remember, the team handling the translation in treehouse were all either functionally retarded. or didn't question the decisions of a functionally retarded person. Because dear lord, even by bad, cliche writing standards, Revelations is horrid garbage.
I'd argue that Treehouse was dealt a bad hand, and the localization mostly served to highlight just how badly handled the original script for Fates was. Plus, they had to get the script done in under a year after Fates' Japanese release, further compounding the issue. And since someone's going to ask "But why didn't 8-4 do the localization?", they were backed up with other work and the earliest 8-4 would have been able to get Fates out would have roughly been November or December of 2016, IIRC. And given how poorly managed Fates has been, from the "bordering on purposefully doing a loving awful job to earn a quick paycheck" quality control to the absolute lack of advertising for Western audiences, I doubt even 8-4 would have been able to salvage anything more than Treehouse did.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

What, you thought Izana getting hilariously killed off and Yukimura getting punted to house sitting duties wasn't enough? gently caress you, here's a plot death for a character literally right after recruiting said character.

And the best part? This event will get dumber later on.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Camilla gets my vote.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

inthesto posted:

I've never seen quite this much rotten luck in a single run.

For some reason, Nichol has (pseudo) shipping art.

I think it's probably because much like Candace back in Midori's paralogue, Nichol has unused ally data files (i.e., lines for Private Quarters stuff) in the game, suggesting that at one point he was going to be recruitable. Then again, from what I've read, all named paralogue bosses started out as recruitable characters that were shunted to paralogue bosses as development moved forward.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

And then she can kill Ryoma and rule Hoshido!

I'm pretty sure that's how succession works around here, anyway. Only way Mikoto being queen makes sense.
Mikoto became queen because Sumeragi's first wife Ikona (and the biological mother of the Hoshidan siblings) died some time before Corrin was kidnapped but after Sakura was born. What she died of is left ambiguous, as one would imagine from the subpar writing this game has. This information is brought up in like two or three supports (IIRC, mainly in Ryoma's supports with Corrine), so I don't blame you for not knowing that. Hell, the game treats Ikona as practically a non-entity that it'd be faster (and less insane to follow) from a storytelling perspective to actually have Mikoto be the biological mother of the Hoshidan siblings. Then again, the same goes for the mothers of the Nohrian siblings; we at least know the name of Xander's mother (Katarina) and Azura's mother (Arete), but the other three? Not a single drop of information about any of them beyond Camilla's mother having a heated rivalry with Arete and Elise's mother crying out for Garon when she died (also of unknown causes) instead of her daughter. So yeah, this game really hates mothers, now that I think about it.

E: Voting for Mozu, Queen of Hoshido!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Eh, dash someone in, recruit him, rescue out. No biggie.
That's the problem. The map is set up with the old "Rescue staff comes to save the day" strategy in mind and throws up roadblocks. You'll need to have a staff user with enough magic and enough mobility to get to him (i.e., on a horse or a pegasus), and then get Ryoma over to Shiro to recruit him. Oh, and then there's the desert terrain, making the first issue even more of a hassle because Fire Emblem Desert Maps Bullshit. But then there's the final problem, the Dragon Veins that fix the terrain problem, which can only be activated by royals and/or any unit that has used the First Blood DLC item that lets them activate Dragon Veins. Further complicating things is that Rescue in this game likes to drop target units on the tile above the staff user, unlike in Awakening where it preferred to drop the target on the tile below the staff user.

So, to recap, to get Shiro recruited you need:

-- A staff user who can move far enough and have enough magic to reach Shiro to use Rescue on him in one action
-- A royal/Dragon Vein user who has to burn their turn in order to help the staff user be in range of Shiro, potentially leaving them out of position to help fight enemy units
-- Ryoma, who needs the ability to get over to his son without hassle in one action
-- The rest of the team in range to stop the enemy units that are nearby and prevent Shiro from dying before recruitment
-- Shiro to not be completely statfucked by inheritance and be able to survive an enemy phase should Ryoma not get in range in time (and/or you don't have enough Rescue staves)

Suffice to say, Shiro's paralogue is not a fun one to play, even on Revelation where you get all 8 royals to make this slightly less annoying. And then Tae's only Dragon Vein user not named Corrine on this run is Ryoma himself (provided that Sophie doesn't get run into the ground by rear end in a top hat voters), making things even more of a hassle.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Also, you know, that's kind of a tricky situation. Leo tried, got something he wasn't prepared for, hosed up, and then when called on it tried his best to make things right while admitting his faults.

Meanwhile, Ryoma... yeah. He didn't even try.

For all the game tries to portray Ryoma and Xander as paragons, they're pretty terrible people.
The thing is, Xander at least has something of a relationship with his son. It's not a good one, mind you, but at least Xander put in some effort to be a parent. Ryoma couldn't even bother with the bare minimum, and then when called out, immediately deflects the blame elsewhere. And then the game rolls itself over to make sure that call out gets swept under the rug immediately, like Endorph said. The only reason Ryoma's not on the same level of bad parenting as say, Heihachi Mishima, is because Ryoma hasn't tried to kill Shiro yet.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

This is a bit familiar: Kid lost and surrounded by the enemy as I try to get the father to talk to the NPC.

This one's a little safer since she's surrounded by Archers and they don't move, also this ain't pure desert.
On the flip side, you have mountains surrounding Selkie that still slow everyone else down outside of fliers and a lot of bottlenecks. Thankfully, the enemies tend to be a little more focused on your units instead of Selkie.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Voting for Hana.

Also, gently caress the upcoming paralogue. What is it with the Hoshidan kids having recruitment maps that all involve lovely terrain?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

There's a reason for that. It's a case of Japanese humor having absolutely no Western equivalent.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, Hisame's an interesting case in that his Endearing Character TraitTM for the English localization is an insane love of pickles. Why, you ask? Because Hisame is built around a joke that works in Japanese but has practically no Western equivalent, so the joke flies over everyone's heads. See, his character blurb lists Hisame as "The youngest old man", and that's what the joke revolves around. Hisame's original character gimmick is that he loves fermented foods, and the joke is that this affinity is usually found among older people in Japan (read: closer to Gunter's age than Hisame's age). But since Western cultures don't have anything like this, Hisame's localized love of pickles came off to people as the localization staff doing dumb weird things rather than what the problem really is: the original script body checking the localization staff into a corner with no easy way out. It's not helped any further by Hisame becoming very passionate about the subject in his support with Corrine, to the point he comes off as disturbingly obsessed with his favorite foods.

Of course, even with that, it doesn't save Hisame from being so painfully bland everywhere else. I make it no mistake that out of the kids, Hisame's the one I've skipped over the most just because I really do not find him interesting. And of course, because his father is equally bland and thus not worth it in the long run.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The hilarious part about the intro to Siegbert's paralogue is that the scene hangs for a minute on Leo's sprite just sitting there while Xander rushes off to save his son. No dialogue or anything, just Leo sitting there in the forest watching his brother run off. I have no idea why that happens either; my guess is that maybe they planned for Leo to drop a quip or some other comment on the situation, but never got around to doing so.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Scrap Dragon posted:

I don't think we've used Oboro yet, have we?
Seconding this vote.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Slight correction: Keaton passes on the Fighter line to his daughter, not Mercenary.

cheetah7071 posted:

Velouria is like the only kid I can routinely count on. All the others need specific combinations of mothers and join times and whatever but Velouria is just an uncontrollable murderbeast no matter what you do
Velouria as a Berserker is absurdly batshit insane. She will gladly crit-murder everything within spitting distance and then some.

E: Voting for Oboro as Niles' spouse.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

One of the hilarious things about Nina's paralogue is that the designers seemingly set up the map so that the earliest you'd get Nina would be around where Tae is in the game (chapter 18/19), when enemy units are starting to show up promoted. However, recall that you can get Niles as early as chapter 8 of Conquest, and can theoretically get Nina just as early. As a result, the earlier you play this map, the more likely it is you'll find units that cannot do anything because they are given weapons that only their promoted classes can use, such as Knights holding axes.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Bruceski posted:

This is a really weird map, it's just so easy to blockade enemies on the blue tiles. The devolved guys give evolved xp too so it's good for levels.
Yeah, this is a gimmick map with an interesting idea, but one that's sadly half-assed in execution. If the tiles affected both allies and enemies, it'd be something unique as the player has to deal with units changing back and forth as they advance, and all the issues that'd come up like the example Tae gave for Troubadour-->Maid (i.e., a unit loses access to one or all equipable weapons due to class differences). Unfortunately, the final product only affects enemies, and only when the enemy units end their turn in one of the rooms. Plus, the gimmick is removed for the skirmish version of the map once you clear it in the story, leaving the gimmick feeling very under-utilized for such an interesting idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BrightWing posted:

My heart seal suggestion is do what makes your life easier Tae, you have suffered enough.
I am seconding this vote regarding Heart Seals.

• Locked thread