Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Inferno-sama posted:

Oh yeah, and Ryoma is just overflowing with honour. *COUGH*ElisaMedicine*COUGHCOUGH*

: Of course holding a child's an adult's life on the line to force a person who isn't related to me and who spend most of their life living with a different family to return to a place that they don't want to be is honorable!

Say what you will about Xander, but Ryoma doing this permanently made me hate him, and even playing Birthright afterwards didn't make me feel any better about him. In fact, it made me dislike him more, because there is never a point in any of the story or his supports that makes him relatable, whereas Xander is relatable in basically all of his supports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Junpei posted:

Which brings up a point of trivia I've been wanting to share: The Yato's original Japanese names.

Firstly, the base form is known as 夜刀神 (or Yato-no-Kami). Yato-no-kami are snake deities in Japanese folklore appearing in the Hitachi No Kuni Fudoki. It literally means God of the Night Sword.

The Noble Yato was 夜刀神 • 空夜 (Yato-no-Kami - Kūya, literally Yato-no-Kami - Empty Nights).

The Blazing Yato was 夜刀神 • 白夜 (Yato-no-Kami - Byakuya lit. Yato-no-Kami - White Nights)

The Grim Yato was 夜刀神 • 長夜 (Yato-no-Kami - Chōya lit. Yato-no-Kami - Long Nights)

And then, the Shadow Yato was 夜刀神 • 暗夜 (Yato-no-Kami - Anya lit. Yato-no-Kami - Dark Nights)

Suddenly, the Grim and Shadow Yatos seem like good names.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Junpei posted:

Are you saying the Japanese names are terrible?

Just because something sounds fine in it's native language, doesn't mean it sounds good directly translated to a different one.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

I like the twist :shrug:. It's something that they had been building up to throughout both Birthright and Conquest.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

No, I'm pretty sure that he was being manipulated during Conquest, and only died when the thing that possessed him forced him to jump off the Great wall of Hoshido. So yes, the thing that is moving Takumi's body did kill him.

He wasn't dead earlier, because the same thing happened to him in Birthright and he wasn't a zombie there. Unless he was :ghost:.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Tae posted:

Does anyone else think the story was designed for Birthright to be played first? Because this sub-plot about Azura harming herself when singing never comes up when it was major conflict in the other route.

Definitely. There are several mysteries in Birthright that are explained in Conquest (off the top of my head, we find out what the crystal ball Azura gave Leo is about), and the mysteries brought up in Conquest answered in Revelation, not Birthright.

Also, there was no reason for it harming her to come up in the route because she only sings with her amulet three times: before the route split, at the opera, and now. Whereas she sings in like half of the chapters in Birthright, so she couldn't hide it there.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

CptWedgie posted:

And why is he even possessed in the first place? As far as we know, THIS Takumi never took that dive into the Bottomless Canyon, and it apparently only started after that happened to him in Birthright.

Just because it was never mentioned, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Takumi was only possessed after he fell into the canyon in Birthright, so you can assume that the same thing had happened to him to cause his possession in Conquest.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Emperordaein posted:

or showing me the goddamn orb.

The orb broke after Corrine and Azura looked at it.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Corrine is the one hanging out with Ryoma and Xander in the FE Warriors trailer, to you should stick with her to retain canon. Even if that's not the name she will have in that game.

Although, if you wind up with making a new character, make them look as stupid as possible.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Tae posted:

First to....what, 30? Maybe that's too high.

Since the leading option is currently more than twice that, I doubt that it was too high.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

PassingPie posted:

So all that stuff about Azura singing too hard was bullshit? If the reason Azura dissolves (or disappears) at the end of the first two games is because she lets something slip out that she shouldn't have, then that's a genuinely interesting twist. I'm gonna have to reread those updates because I didn't notice a drat thing.

It's not. In her supports with her son... did we do those in this LP? I thought we did, but I don't see them listed in the Birthright supports on the front page.

Anyway, she never sang the third verse in Birthright or Conquest, and that is the only one that has anything to do with Valla.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

I'm shocked that you managed to keep Corrine's level that low.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Glazius posted:

If you had more people that would probably be... a little less of a slog? Maybe? But wow, this is not a good gimmick for this time in the game.

You have plenty of units at this time, it's just that you can only bring 6 of them to this map.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

You want ranged units for this map, as they will take out 9 tiles, while the most non-ranged units can do is 8 tiles, but in practice are only clearing 6 tiles.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

As for Takumi being fine here, in Birthright he we heard that he went to the bottomless canyon in Izumo, so I assume that he is fine on this route because he was caught here instead of continuing on to the canyon.

Edit:

AradoBalanga posted:

This is not an emotional death used to motivate the player or something similar, this is a shock value death, one of the cheapest and dumbest ways to create tension and drama in a story.

It's not much of an emotional death to Corrine either, since in this timeline she only met Izana a few minutes before he died. Sure she felt guilty for his death, but she would feel the same for someone who died of old age on a different continent.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 24, 2017

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

ungulateman posted:

I'm pretty sure I voted for MCorrin specifically so we could marry her and avoid the 'running out of parents' problem. It's not going to be a problem if we have Corrine, though, right?

No, we can get all of the kids if Corrine is female.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

MightyPretenders posted:

FE2 was when the developers were thinking "Okay, that was cool. Let's do something else on the same world."

A second game that worked differently and had a different setting happened with several NES/Famicom series. The Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy are two others I can think of off the top of my head. The idea of video game sequels that worked the same as the previous game hadn't set in by that time.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Tae posted:

Ice Tribe attack? Unless I missed something, I thought was just Flora.

If you clicked on the enemy names in the last mission, it said they were from the ice tribe.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

No, it was an idiotic joke someone at Treehouse thought was funny and replaced their actual C-rank conversation with.
Here's a rough fan translation of their actual C support:

C SUPPORT
Saizou: You’re…. The assassin from Nohr, Belka aren’t you.
Belka: …..did you want something? Hoshido’s shinobi…..Saizou.
S: Oh….? It seems that we already know one another’s names.
B: Yes…. The name Saizou of Hoshido is widely known in Nohr. The next king’s faithful retainer…. As well as an assassin of high ability.
S: Same here, from a young age to kill without hesitation, rumours of a little girl that was a ruthless murder weapon.
B: …I see. How many…. Have you killed?
S: What’s with that question….. you remember such things?
B: As an assassin counting is a daily routine in my job. But after I was taken in by Camilla…. I stopped counting. I don’t know if that’s good or bad for me… only that that had changed.
S: Is that so.
B: ….I’ve answered. So how about you?
S: I…. can never forget. Even if I don’t want to remember…. Even if I want to forget….. The faces and numbers of people that I’ve killed…. It’s been engraved clearly into my heart.
B: ……I see.
S: To have to join hands with an assassin from an enemy country like this must be fate. We both have Lords that we must protect….. Belka. Please take good care of me from here on out.
B: Yes.

It's even more dumb when you look at how their B conversation starts.

But they totally get all of that across with just their ellipses :j:!

Joking aside, they are getting something across, even with no words, since their facial expressions change with each line they ... say? make?, suggesting that they are reacting to each other.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Junpei posted:

Wait, I thought it was supposed to be 'Niles' as in 'Nil'.

Nihil fits with his personality, and Nil means the same as Zero. Both work.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Junpei posted:

Ryoma -> Ryouma
Fuga -> Fuuga
Kagero -> Kagerou

Benny -> Benoit

For Ryoma, Fuga, Kagero, they dropped the double vowels so that we would pronounce the names correctly.

For Benny... yeah, I'm glad they changed that.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Junpei posted:

Asugi -> (This one's kind of confusing. My sources say it should probably be Gurei, but that romanizes out to Grey. Gurei is also an anagram of Gaius's original Japanese name, Guire.)

All of the other children who are based on Awakening characters had anagrams for their names in the Japanese version, so yes, Gurei is accurate. Keeping that convention for the English game is why Asugi has such a bad name, and the other ones are far worse.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

CptWedgie posted:

...Y'know, I just realized, but isn't Gaius using candy as a weapon kind of out of character? He'd probably wind up disarming himself by eating it all if he actually attacked with candy.

In heroes, Easter eggs can be used like magical tomes, and Xander fights with a giant carrot. Don't think about it too hard.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

But it turns out the upgrading mechanism was inside us all along! So, again. Need him. Why:

What? No it wasn't. We needed him to set it up, or else we would have gotten an upgraded sword way earlier in Birthright.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

I'm not sure why everyone thinks that Xander is just ignoring this, since right after he see Garon being crazy, he says:

Tae posted:

We need to be at the Bottomless Canyon on the day the skies change. We have until then to gather our most trusted soldiers.

It sounds to me like he is going to meet up with Corrine after all.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Tae posted:

How about, "I love you, schmoopie!" And "You're sooooooooooo sweet!"

I just checked, and you haven't done Silas's child's paralogue. Pair these two up - they already have said that they have feelings for each other.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Tae posted:

I am seriously considering skipping like 2/3rds of the next update because it's just Birthright Rainbow Sage. Do you really need me to explain ANOTHER exact same rainbow sage mission....?

What are you talking about, this map is completely different from Birthright :j:! Birthright's map has a gimmick.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Drop off the 6 lowest leveled, then have a vote to keep Benny or Orochi.

For the record, cut:
Beruka (16)
Setsuna (15)
Hana (15)
Hinata (16)
Nyx (13)
Kaden (16)

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Ah Ryoma. You somehow are a worse father than Leo, who couldn't stand that his son dressed in woman's clothing. At least he realized that he was wrong, and tried to move past his prejudice.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Is Hana still unmarried? If so, give him her. Might as well give useless kids useless mothers.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 31, 2017

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Nyx

To pump up her magic stat as high as it can go.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Gilgamesh255 posted:

...Quick, someone get some fanfiction writers on this! They can't do any worse than the actual writers did!

Look back at CptWedgie's posts in this thread, and re-think your statement.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Cythereal posted:

This is not-Tharja, I think. She was never going to turn out a sane or well-adjusted person.

I don't think you have to spoil that when her name has already been said.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Hinoka. I like their A support.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

inthesto posted:

Marry him off to Elise.

Yes, marrying Elise to anyone is pretty creepy, but Niles's kid will get some real interesting stats that you can't really pull off on anyone else.

This, because I don't care about this kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Since they're done, I figure I should point out (possibly again, Fates writing melts my cognitive abilities something fierce.) a major difference between the Fates and Awakening paralogues.

In Awakening, you aren't there for the kid. Well, the player is, but the characters aren't. The mission has some standard paralogue motive (bandit raids, lost treasure, mansion of the undead), which is why Chrom comes stomping in, and then it turns out, hey, what are the odds, a kid is there. Maybe in danger, maybe fighting the same people you're after, maybe even working with the villains, but they're narratively a side point, with the mission concluding properly even if you kill them.

Meanwhile, in Fates, the whole point of the mission is the kid. Including getting a scene with them even if they get killed.

Er, what? Almost every paralogue outside of the deeprealms has the characters doing something else, and the kid just having sneaked off and running into the group. The few that have the kid as the focus from the start (again, outside of the kid's deeprealm) is because the parents are visiting them.

As for the kid being the focus and not a side point, the paralogues for Sophie, Caeldori, Ignatius, Velouria, and Ophelia have them just there at the time, and while Asugi and Soleil are more important in their paralogues, the focus of your battle is against someone else, with them either helping or ignoring you.

Also, in Awakening, the only person who knew about her kid beforehand was Lissa. Every other parent had no idea who this random person was, until the kids told them about themselves. In Fates, all of the parents know about the kids, so of course the parents would care about them more.

• Locked thread