Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

blizzardvizard posted:

Four more posts to a new page, huh.

So are you planning to use female Corrin for Conquest?

Personally, I don't see a point to that. In fact, there are reasons to do it the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I have a feeling that Corrin turning into a dragon was part of the plan. The enemy's weapon loadout implies as much.

Corrin turning into a dragon has potential as a story element. But it's not the sort of thing that should be done unless it's a huge part of the plot.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

The music for this chapter is good.

Also worth noting: this is the only place that can give you a "Lord dies" game over on Casual mode, since Dragon Corrin and Ryoma are the only ones with a chance against the boss.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

I mention this because you can still buy them like normal items, despite being unable to sell them. Because...:psyduck:?

Because there's a way to get three Dragonstone users at once, but only two of them have a stone by default.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Yeah. This is the option that makes the most sense now that Corrin has regained his early memories. I think the prologue gives you time to become attached to all of the siblings (except Takumi, but he has reasonable motives going for him), but no reason to think agreeing with Nohr is a valid choice.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, it makes sense once you've figured it out but before that it just sounds like someone's talking about rare items like character weapons in Awakening.

Why would you need to figure it out? the first thing we see when attacking with them is the butler producing them from his sleeves/the maid kicking one up from her shoes.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Yeah, I stalled here because I decided to level grind and beat Garon at this point.

If the writing was a bit better, they would have added a few lines to establish clearly that Zola was bullshitting about the disguise illusion this time. And Azura figured, but didn't care. As it is, there are a few lines that can mean that the disguise is only visible to Nohrians instead of everyone.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Corrin marries Scarlet, or else he doesn't get married for a long time.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is the first time I've actually read one of these supports and what the gently caress

Like among the half dozen things wrong with it, didn't they just undermine the entire "family you're born with vs. the family you live with" premise of the game?

Yes, it does. And this isn't the only hiccup with the character's understanding of their family trees.

I've since decided that the real premise of the game is "Family you live with vs Righteousness," which I can live with.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I'm pretty sure that talk about the castle not being safe is referring to a set of bonus maps that we've been ignoring. The menu options labeled "Invasion." One guess what kind of enemies show up in them.

The simplest explanation for the Deeprealms is that they're actually the same kind of pocket dimensions as the one My Castle is in. Maybe they're further from the main world, I don't know.

And if you've followed those two premises to their logical conclusion, congratulations. You're both smarter and much better parents than the entire cast is.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

EponymousMrYar posted:

No wonder Corrin looks like a vampire if Nohr has an affinity for darkness. It makes sense!

Now why do the rest of the siblings not look like vampires?

YOU SAY ONE THING AND BRING UP MORE QUESTIONS GAME :argh:

The initial idea for Nohr was a nation of vampires. They took a step back from making it literal, but did keep the fantasy gothic style.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Candance was widely believed to be a recruitable character just before the game was released. She's still pretty popular for what she is.

Please show the 4-koma with her in it during the second playthrough.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

LEGO Genetics posted:

Why does Camilla automatically assume killing the Hoshidans will make Corrin come back? Can't she just show him a pie chart or something?

It's because she's insane. The really sad part is that she might not even be the 5th worst off in that respect.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

One thing I really like about those 4-koma is how they show that (almost) all the flaws we've been picking out were perfectly visible to the original audience too. That's been nowhere near all of the Lilith comics, and there are like half a dozen mocking the face-rubbing minigame.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

If this was more competently written, Hans would probably die at about this point. A simple "I'm going to pretend not to believe you and tell Father I had to kill a traitor *slashy slash*" would do.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Melomane Mallet posted:

The manga hasn't gotten to the decision point yet, but the foreshadowing seems to indicate Birthright to me.

All the foreshadowing in the game before that point indicated Birthright.

What I really want to see is Fates: Rebellion. Where Corrin goes back to Nohr to check Garon's plans, figures out he's evil immediately, then takes advantage of the suicide mission and My Castle to recruit the Ice Tribe and Cheve into their own rebellion. Odin would decide to stick around for reasons of his own, while Niles would be a likely traitor - Until Leo wises up and begins siding with Corrin and Elise.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

In theory, I like that the Hoshidan throne's magic power that we were explicitly told about at the start is being used. In practice, there were much better approaches to the problem of Garon that Corrine could take.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Yeah, no. No one should be telling Corrine that she can't make mistakes.

From a utilitarian standpoint, picking Nohr put us in a position to keep the Ice Tribe from being put down by Hans, but we lost Cheve in return. For some reason we ran into Keaton instead of Kaden (even though logically they were at the same place in the same time. IE, a matter of chance rather than choice) but all we know for sure is that we didn't personally wipe out Mount Gaorou, and we picked a fight with the Kitsune instead. And so on.

So, a 1 to 1 trade. Not quite, as it turns out. Going along with Garon led to the death of the Rainbow Sage, who - dumb tests aside - knows a lot about the world that our protagonists had no other way to find out. Also, it's a certainty that we're going to lead Hans, Iago, and Garon right through Hoshidan population centers - massive civilian casualties that the Birthright path has no direct counterpart for.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Capturing Fort Jinya is basically the same as conquering Hoshido? Back on Birthright, it had no strategic value!

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Avalerion posted:

I think the Silas thing is just plain regular forgetting some kid you used to play with when little, not amnesia.

Wasn't it stated in their supports that Corrin was put through Nohrian brainwashing to forget Silas?

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Tae posted:

Silas corrin support is already been done

Only the C support, it seems.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

https://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Fates_Supports/Avatar(M)_Silas

Hmm, looks like it can be read either way.

And of course they eventually just decided to make his Birthright introduction the subject of as many "This is suspicious, unbelievable, and awkward." jokes as they could think of.

MightyPretenders fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 3, 2017

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

So, now that we've seen more of how this kind of transformation works, it feels like Slime Garon is not Garon in much the same way Obi-wan Kenobi meant it when he said Darth Vader is not Anakin Skywalker. (Yeah, it's old news. So what?)

It's the same physical body, severely warped by bad juju, and a personality that looks the same on the surface, with all the same knowledge and memories, but with something very different at the core that one could say has taken over from and killed the original person.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

What she means is she doesn't regret choosing this path, but does regret some of the things she's done on it since then. Which doesn't quite work either if we take the Azura support into account.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Glazius posted:

So are any of these guys going to mention that the castle was partly fused with infinity or what that might mean?

First the castle was damaged during the fight with Slime Garon. The "fused with infinity" was the force behind the invisible soldiers directing its full attention on you, with it being more convenient to manifest through the cracks that already existed.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

I believe every song in Awakening that plays during cutscenes (so, excluding map themes or w/e) are named after a line from the first scene it plays in

Pretty sure that was the translators' idea. The original names would have been more pompous.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Well, time for Revelations, and the 100% completion run you promised.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Azura is consistent, at least. Her plans work out less often than Iago's do. And here she refuses to acknowledge that attacking their underlings was what made both crown princes turn on Corrine.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

This explains a lot about Azura.

Not only was she horribly treated in Nohr, but she saw her mother die suddenly and knows the same thing could happen to her if she says the wrong thing.
As a result, she develops the mindset that since taking action will kill her, and she doesn't quite know what the boundaries are for what will or won't trigger the curse, she must do nothing whenever possible.
This becomes more and more warped over time, leading her to go through with half-hearted plans and to ignore the great opportunities that fall into her lap.
Eventually, she takes actions that she knows will kill her and leave the world in a doomed state because that means she won't have to deal with all of this anymore, and she can't just spill her guts, die, and leave the world in a less doomed state because, again, she's very bad at planning and seizing good opportunities.

Her actions change on this path, not because she sees a chance (she didn't plan to have Corrine driven away from both sides), but because of Corrine shoving a different mindset in her face that Azura realizes is much more likely to work in the situation they're in.

On paper it makes a kind of sense. But it doesn't feel genuine for some reason.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Rangpur posted:

What really sticks out to me is that they introduced this whole invisible, unreachable kingdom which is nonetheless completely unrelated to your invisible unreachable castle, and the invisible, unreachable pocket dimensions where everyone raises their kids. The level of disconnect is downright surreal.

It defies logic for Valla and My Castle to be completely unrelated. I think they just never bothered saying aloud the obvious conclusion that Valla is a My Castle-like space made by Anankos, in the same way yours was actually made by Lilith the fish-dragon.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

It doesn't help that they outsourced Revelation to the same people who did supports. AKA people who had nothing to do with either of the previous main plots.

Fates: The writing is bad.

Who wrote the later DLC?

Because it continues on with Revelation's themes and plot points, but is a lot more refined. If nothing else, their writing improved with experience.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

U-DO Burger posted:

Azura and Corrine should have written a note about the invisible kingdom and had Garon read it out loud. Boom, murderdad dissolves, and Conquest ends like 15 chapters sooner.

Unfortunately, we don't know whether writing about the invisible kingdom would trigger the curse by itself - Azura is not going to risk her life to check.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Yukimura had potential to be a great character. The brains behind the royal family (except everyone runs off without him and he never gets a chance to advise anyone) with skeletons in his closet (but whenever Corrin finds out, they're long past caring about that).

This is the last nail in his coffin, as his attitude here is radically different from his attitude in Conquest, and here he has less justification for any hostility.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

Revelation has a few maps where it just dumps a truckload of items into your lap, such Chapter 7 and this one. As to why they do this, your guess is as good as mine.

Maybe it's to add to the sense that you're powergrinding to face on an ultimate evil, beyond anything you faced in the other campaigns?

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

It feels like Izana was supposed to talk about Valla here and die that way, but they changed it at the last second.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I don't mind that we're still repeating the same situations. After all, most of them had roots going before Corrine made her choices, and if we didn't deal with them now people who reached the end of the game would be talking about how "Wait a minute, X is still out there and could have carved out a new Big Bad position while we weren't looking."

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

FE2 was when the developers were thinking "Okay, that was cool. Let's do something else on the same world."

FE3 was when they realized "Well, that didn't turn out quite as well as we hoped. Let's get back to our first bunch of characters. I have an idea..."

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Tae posted:

It's Keaton and Kaden! That for some reason are both here at the same time...?

Unless it's implying Kaden or Keaton was at the city the same time as the respective paths, this is a bit shoe-horned in for both to appear.

Yeah, that's pretty obvious in retrospect.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Well, Vallite forces never attacked Nestra in the other routes either. I think that Anankos began by sending troops to take a more active control over the situation now that Corrine isn't anyplace he expected her to be, and now he's tripping over himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Rinkah

• Locked thread