Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Geostomp posted:

Neither nation is well written, but I tolerate Hoshido even less. Nohr's obsession with being as obviously evil as possible is kind of funny, while Hosido's Mary Sue-esque perfection gets old fast.

I was kind of hoping for the writing to pull a Romeo and Juliet angle to this but now I am probably just as dissapointed as I would have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Tae posted:

What the gently caress was this plan, Garron.
Having Hans instigate an international incident to get Corrin killed wasn't enough
Having Hans attempt murder on a bridge wasn't enough
So the back-up back-up plan was have the sword just chuck him in a ditch as a last resort?
Boy, this plan assumes a lot huh

I don't know, sounds like this plan was triple-proofed for success. Or at least double-proofed (if Hans failed, Sword would succeed.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I dunno, there's only one person who could have that beard in the last blurry flashback.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Garron said over the sword-phone "No Corrin, you are the demons"

And then he was a dragon.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

AradoBalanga posted:

The best way to explain some of the plot beats in Fates is that the writing process feels like the ending of a plot thread was written first, then the process of reaching that ending was written.

I'd say that's only half the problem, with the other half being 'not enough plot development time.' It is possible to write a story ending and then fill in the steps leading to that ending (heck that's pretty much the outlining stage) but afterwards you're supposed to flesh out everything. The game hasn't given itself enough time to do that properly (timeskip over boring stuff is fine but I was expecting another battle of sorts before stuff hit the fan like this.)

Like Clockwork posted:

What even the gently caress is going on.

I mean, I can see that knockoff Soul Edge exploded and Corrin is the anatomically hosed dragons, but why did any of that happen and what was the point of it.

King Garron's evil plan to finally end this dang stalemate that slows down his :moreevil: is thus:
Step 1: Kidnap the Prince of the enemy country during peace talks (bonus: kill the King too he's a non-evil prick.)
Step 2: ??? (probably :moreevil: and why Corrin is some weird dragon-mummy-antlered thing)
Step 3: Make sure said prince is strong enough to survive normal battle, then give him a Soul Edge and send him on a border mission.
Step 4: Said mission is a coverup to Incite an incident on the border so that the Prince can be re-captured by the enemy by any means necessary, including subterfuge and crazy Soul Edge antics if needed.
Step 5: Send Giant Zombie Golems to distract the enemy from the one that matters (who is homing in on the Soul Edge for :moreevil: reasons.)
Step 6: Have the one that matters use the Soul Edge to kill/sufficiently injure the Queen so the barrier drops and and hostilities can begin in earnest.

Now Nohr is going to invade in earnest and the introductory prologue battle will happen again and then we'll get the cutscenes and the flashbacks and oh no stable time loop!

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 18, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

While the Nohr's sure seem to have their minds in the wrong places they sure know their stats :catstare:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Omobono posted:

I think the ancient gods appreciate the relaxed attitude in this case. I feel you can't not like this dude, at least in moderation.

Alternatively, the ancient gods are Hippymasters Supreme and told him to chill out in the most righteous way, so he did. And now they're bros.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Kaguro looks to be the most useful ninja if only because glass cannons that can actually cannon are great. Who cares if they can't take a hit if they never get hit in the first place!?

Tae posted:

Unfortunately, the support writers did not get this memo when it was outsourced.

DANGIT TAKUMI STOP FALLING ON STICKS BUTT FIRST!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

A vote for Takumi Rinkah Hayato Takumi is a vote for Garron winning. Do you want that dick to win!? :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Rangpur posted:

But can you make an atrocity in the eyes of Man & God if you marry him?! This is important dammit!

Artist's rendition of Kaden and (F)Corrin's spawn:

(I drew him with a bow because he(?) would obviously be the strongest class, an archer.)

Then where did the fish scales come from!? Corrin's not that kind of Dragon!

(Karn's Fusions were fun.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

To me Camillia feels like another victim of the Nohr Idiot Stick brigade. Only with extra obsession that would be more interesting if she wasn't stuck holding the Idiot Stick (because now it's just creepy.)

If I were writing this, around here would be the point that Corrin gets absolutely sick of his foster siblings schtick and directly confronts them about their lack of respect for him.

Alas no. Reluctant fighting begin!

Edit: Also I know Rinkah's in danger of permabenching. I wish it was Azama :argh:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Tae posted:

I was mad at myself for not being able to do anything about it.

'I was young and dumb and figured out it would be stupid to walk through all of Nohr to save you. Then I saw a flying horse and got a much better idea!'
:allears:

Dancer's are great to have around because the only time they're not useful is when you've messed up really hard. I keep thinking to toss Felicia on the bench but I'm reminded that 'waitaminute, she's a healer and a ninja. Two healers is good. Azama you're a third wheel, get on that bench and stay there! :argh:'

Tharja is cool because she takes 'I'm a spooky witch!' and uses it as her way of doing things rather than being all that she is. By doing things that aren't evil/spooky witch things.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Lord Koth posted:

And the refutation was more about the issue that Xander and Camilla have not, in fact, been particularly "respectful and accepting" of Corrin's choice. Xander's utterly stuck on "how dare you betray the man who kidnapped you" and Camilla's flat out crazy.

There's a serious disconnect between 'I once called you Brother and loved you with all my heart' and 'Father... Evil!?' when Corrin explains his reasoning. The lack of respect here is that Xander immediately dismisses Corrin and thinks him brainwashed (acceptable under the circumstances) but doesn't go any deeper than that. There's no doubt, there's no hesitation, there's no conflicted feelings.

It makes all their words of love and endearment ring kind of hollow. More of a 'I loved having another brother' rather than 'I loved having you as a brother.'

At least Camillia's crazyness backs up her 'I love you' words. Hence why I find her the most interesting of the Nohr Siblings at this point.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hoshido seems to have a lot of the Dawn Brigade syndrome from the gamecube FE: Growths that are typically at odds with what they're typically supposed to do.

And like the Dawn Brigade, it works better for some than it does for others :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Azura and Kaze

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Well when she came back and proceeded to get 4 stat ups in as many levels...

Plus Dragon's are cool.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Looks like a case for some speed wings to me!

Except it's true that Felica does everything she does better.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Alternatively, Ninja tricks.

I mean, how else do they eat anything beneath that mask!?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Also a thing that seems to be happening a lot is that people are skimping on the editing. You can have a huge team of writers but you need a good team of editors who make sure everything written fits together cohesively.

inthesto posted:

For promotions, I say do a thing where you promote the 100% keepers (i.e. Corrin, Oboro) and put up two or three for vote.

And definitely do the Steroid Redemption again. Vaike taking all the drugs and still getting benched will always be hilarious.

Regarding promotions, do this this is good.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

AradoBalanga posted:

I will never understand how people place the blame for bad writing in any medium solely at the feet of the writer and never once consider the editor as needing to bear some of the blame.

Sometimes it's because Writer and Editor are one and the same :v: (This should only be done as a last resort. Proper self editing takes longer than having someone else do the editing.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Corrin, if there ever was a need for you to walk into a fire and punch some sense into someone

that was it

why didn't you do that

now her sister with the flaming shurikens and MAG score that rivals dedicated mages is sad

i don't think you want her to be sad

plus you're a dragon

you could have

dragon-punched

some sense there

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Corrin X Kagero OTP: United in hitting their improbable growths far more than statistically probable!

I mean, everyone else should totally go in the hat for maximum 'what' factor.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

No wonder Corrin looks like a vampire if Nohr has an affinity for darkness. It makes sense!

Now why do the rest of the siblings not look like vampires?

YOU SAY ONE THING AND BRING UP MORE QUESTIONS GAME :argh:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

'Wait, so this is where babies come from? With us Garon just showed up one day with a new kid in tow and we all played together.'
'Wait you mean I'm not the first to just show up in the family!?'

Also considering the price of a rescue staff, Azura probably gave Leo something like, a Dragonstone++. She's been holding out on us :argh:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

blizzardvizard posted:

Azama is a witty, layered character, which is more than you can say than most characters in Fates.

Too bad we're only getting C-supports for the non-couples. Azama's C-supports are good for a brief chuckle but it's his later supports that make me really appreciate him.

I'll need to check those out because so far the only layer of Azama I see is 'calls everyone else out on their schtick like a dick.'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Better to have one attack stat (STR MAG) and one defense stat (DEF, RES) maxed. So they die easy but absolutely wreck things.

I'd even toss them bronze weapons but dodge tanking already seems to suck in this game :argh:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Will Garon's atrocities never end!? :argh:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I'm still trying to get Azama canned.

Voting does make things randomly interesting at least.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Rangpur posted:

^^^^^^^^

Say what you want about the archetype, but Elise has a real good face for reacting to a lot of these plot developments/supports.

Elise is ok considering the last update and that face. She's also incredibly likely to actually join us and make our party even more bipartisan. More royals!

Except clearly the game doesn't want that which means she's also incredibly likely to be mind controlled into our next boss :downs:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Looks like someone wound Camillia back to before the last fight. Who keeps doing that!? It's not like Nohr even has Daylight Savings time!

FoolyCharged posted:

Give him the boots and let tank lad join his father in ignoring terrain costs.

Plus the tank looks rad and that's what counts here
This. It adds a whole new layer to his enthusiasm that's just swell. 'Hey dad, check out this bear I bagged!' 'Oh yes that is a fine bear but it's rather beat up. Show me the bow you used to hun- HOLY GOD!'

'War! Huah! What is it good for? BLOWING THINGS UP! Yeah!'

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 9, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

Corrin, that's bad guy talk. You can't do that and still be the good guy.

After what Iago's put us through, you can't NOT say that and be a relatable character.

That might be me projecting Corrin's outbursts as him getting fed up with this game as the rest of us are though :shobon:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Endorph posted:

Because writing a video game is freaking impossible. Pretty much every possible good idea you can have inevitably gets sacrificed for the sake of gameplay, or marketing, or whatever. Fates is just an incredibly egregious example, but even games I think are well-written have more than a few moments of filler, odd pacing, or half-finished ideas.

I don't really envy the writers, and I don't really blame them, either. Blame whatever chucklehead thought the three games gimmick was a good idea and that they also needed to get those three games out in under two years.
A bit back but I also disagree with this sentiment. It's not impossible and has been done. A gamut of the Final Fantasy's have excellent writing including 'filler' (which doesn't feel like filler which means they did it right) and Chrono Trigger is still the gold standard of rpg writing (which is both a compliment to that game and an indictment of the genre/industry as a whole.)

However I do agree that most games tend to get it wrong rather than right. Fates problems other than the ones brought up are:
Gameplay and Story Segregation. This is a problem Fire Emblem has had forever and was only just getting out of during the Gamecube games. The story that's being told and your actions in battle don't interact all that much. Yeah you won't get certain supports or lines of dialogue if you let people die but by and large you get the same general story no matter what happens during gameplay. Games with half decent writing tend to get around this by hiding/obscuring this fact, while Fates makes it extremely blatant and noticeable.

Writing by committee/proxy. Too many cooks spoil the pot, too many writers trip over each others words. Focus and purpose are important at all levels of game/software design in order to keep things in shape. Fates had that in the initial draft but then that draft was expanded far beyond it's scope (while I could believe getting 2 games worth out of it, 3 is just inane.)

The animated cutscenes are pretty good though. Those are nice.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Looks like Scarlet has here eyes on Rinkah's Bolt Axe.

Also good on you Elise for putting your body where your words are.
Pity you had like, a million death flags tripped by both Xander and Corrin beforehand.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The Real Superpower Xander gained along the way was a few extra points of HP.

Should have gone with strength.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

CptWedgie posted:

Been wanting to say this for a long time, but savvy players will have foreseen something like this happening. After all, Dragonskin isn't exactly a skill that you give to humans, as shown by the fact that the only units who have it in Awakening are the last boss and, on higher difficulties, his second in command. Therefore, its mere presence in Garon's skill list raises serious questions about just WHAT Garon is as early as Chapter 12.
The first time Corrin turned into a dragon my estimation that Garon was also a dragon rose to 90%. Dragonskin just confirmed it.

Tae posted:

Next update is basically the biggest in a while, so I'm gonna test creativity and ask for some female names for Corrin. Don't do something like Foreign.

Also actual names, not Feety McDongers
You mean like Corrin McCorrinface?

How about Carine then?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Where else did Corrin get his dragon-ness from since apparently Hoshido has no dragon blood in them that let them use Dragon Veins and such? (Note that it's the Nohr siblings what make use of them the most aside from the player.)

And in FE where there's one Dragon, there's always more Dragons.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Tae posted:

The Hoshidans have Dawn Dragon blood, the Nohrians have Dusk Dragon blood.

See!? There's even more dragons than I thought there were! (Genuinely forgot that.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I already feel dumber having skimmed through this.

Although wanting to hear Garon's side of the story is also understandable, so naturally everyone else is dumb about this :downs:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The animated stuff is still on point at least!

That's always neat to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Tae posted:

the gently caress is going on with me today

That is what the lack of pants are for: to be a double distraction on top of the whole 'being a giant armored distraction' thing.

Or maybe they just chafe really bad.

• Locked thread