Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Bench Mozu.

Need to find some other good people for the (I assume) inevitable mish-mashup that is Revelations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

But swords are cool and Camillia is cool, what's there to compare?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

SweaterGear posted:

Garon and his lackeys being gungho about pointless killing is extremely stupid and clumsy writing. Corrin's refusal to kill makes sense as a reaction to that, but it's handled so poorly that it is just equally stupid.

Garon is Murderdad for a reason :v:

Inferno-sama posted:

It's possible they were afraid of people hating Conquest Corrin for doing morally questionable acts the same way Micaiah did. Problem is, you can't let fan reaction get in the way of good story telling. Of course, I highly doubt that. It's more likely they just wanted Corrin to be unquestionably good, without realising that you can be good even if you have to do some bad things.

That seems to be a running theme/consequence with this game. 'Fans loved the kids so lets put in some kids WHAT HO DEEPREALMS!' 'People hate Micaiah because she did bad things for good reasons, so Evil Corrin won't do bad things and thus everyone will like them!'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Aesclepia posted:

This is another bad writing that really got to me. Like, why are you so ridiculously upset about the self-sacrifice of this old man who just said "hey it's ok I'd rather not get so old I go insane" when MurderDad said "you have to kill him". You weren't even this visibly upset that YOUR MOTHER died.

As is the trope with the majority of idealistic pacifist protagonists it's not just about the deaths you don't cause it's also about the deaths you prevent. Corrin failed to prevent the Rainbow Sages death, thus...

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Now that I've had an opportunity to actually see more of Charlotte I can actually see her hands up around her collar area.

At first I thought she had a human hands collar because NOHR but nope. They're her own hands.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

SweaterGear posted:

I think Conquest Avatar's biggest problem is that they seem to have no memory of the previous chapters. They doesn't understand why Takumi is angry despite the fact that every time he has shown up he has shouted his reasons. They also never remember the bad things Garon has done outside of what is happening right now. It's frustrating to see that the player character's only constant trait is complete stupidity.

Ah, the good ol' Ash Ketchum brand of memory loss. Gotta learn the same lessons as before because thinking up new and interesting morales to present is hard :v:

Alternatively, the handheld game problem where devs expect players to put down a game at certain points and thus rehash the plot a lot in case the player needs a reminder. Only in Conquest, that point is apparently after every single battle :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

As previously established, everyone in FATES loves being acrobatic to the extreme. They don't need plain ol' walking boots, or even heavy duty hiking boots.

They need spring shoes. Or Air Jordans.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

W.T. Fits posted:

No opinion on the DLC classes.

As for the stat boosters, shore up weaknesses. The difficulty here doesn't seem like it's forgiving enough to just dump everything on one unit and hope for the best.

This. Camillia is still in the active party so she doesn't need no redemption steroids :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Naturally, we got King Immabadguy instead, because the writers of this game aren't good at their jobs.

It's a pretty basic failing too: Show vs. Tell. We're told that King Garon is a pretty neat father dude but all we're ever showing is Immabadguy.

We're shown it a lot in fact while we get like, a dozen or so lines on how he's good.

Makes it real hard to give those tales credence.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Space Bat posted:

While you're not wrong, I guess I feel like if your only defining characteristic is "Honorable", you'd think he could eat his pride and thank Corrin and company properly.

Unless that's not his character trait, in which chase I actually don't know what it's supposed to be then.

A Shtick. It can't be his character trait because, as talked about, he was willing to let Elise die. I mean, there's no Geneva convention equivalent but that's pretty bad for a dude who claims to be all about honor. There's not even any waffling or indecision about it! Which makes him a villain for that whole scene.

Pity the rest of the game hasn't followed through with that :downs:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Since it's an eternal stairway that means it must go down as well as up!

And since Nohr is so incompetent at this war thing that's probably the way they tend to go whenever they get here.

Poor innumerably faceless who keep trudging down the Eternal Stairway to hell, never reaching the bottom because they can't buttslide past the Eternal part of the stairway.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Tendronai posted:

If only Lilith had set herself on fire before jumping in, I think I would have really felt bad.

Or through a flaming hoop.

"Hey Corrine I'm insanely bored at My Castle because you're not doing any multiplayer stuff so I came up with this new trick I saw in a movie about a carnival once! Check it out! Yeah look at me fly through these burning hoops of OH MY GOODNESS GIANT FACELESS FIST blegh."

It's getting really annoying how rote these scenes are and that they've apparently wrote themselves into a bad corner considering that, y'know, Corrine can transform into a dragon.

Then we'd have different rote scenes but AT LEAST WE WOULD HAVE MORE DRAGONS.

Dragons are cool.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

drat, I just wasted a bunch of time creating Fire Emblem fanfic, didn't I?

It's good that the game is good enough for you to get annoyed enough to put in a bunch of effort to 'fix' it. It's one of the ways that future developers and writers and such learn by seeing mistakes and thinking up ways of doing it differently.

I mean, heck I got a kick out of Quovak doing it for Golden Sun, I saw enough promise in Other M's gameplay and setup to have a notepad of what I'd do to make it decent and you've done it for Conquest here. It's neato.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Tae posted:

What is this random voting, why is Percy suddenly on the cutting block. Why is Azura now getting cut? Why is there a tie. Someone vote or I'll flip a dice.

Spots are getting pretty tight. I had some trouble deciding what my third vote would be.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

AradoBalanga posted:

Yes. The same mistake that Awakening did regarding direct family members was repeated with Fates. Because someone on the supports writing staff is really that stupid and shortsighted.

In this case since the Support Writing was outsourced it was probably more of a 'they're not paying us to write it which is weird but ok it's their money.'

Which once again brings the problem back to the main writing staff :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

If nothing else, there's one thing Conquest's writing does well:

You really get to share in how INFURIATING it must feel at being so helpless to oppose King Murder Dad's rear end in a top hat orders.

Boy howdy I sure bet everyone is regretting the plan 'win the war as nice as possible despite it being war and being the only people who care about not complete destruction instead of throwing a coup on Murderdad.'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

Eh, playing Devil's Advocate in defense of this, at least a little; the Nohrian Siblings probably have the best idea out of ANYONE just how powerful Garon really is. Let's be realistic here. Would YOU be willing to fight him? If the answer is yes, congratulations, your insides get to decorate a roughly ten-foot radius of floor.

Counterpoint: I'm a Freakin' Dragon.
That's at least putting me at 50/50 odds without sibling backup. With them it's kind of a sure thing.

Wait what do you mean 'what do you mean you're a freakin' dragon?'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Rangpur posted:

It does sorta beg the question, though: is there a way of interpreting this dialogue that would make the plot hold up better? Seriously asking this time.

Nothing is impossible with the Ted Woolsey school of interpretation! :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hmmm
This is reminding me of something

hmmmm

Giant Mom is way better than Giant Dad here at least.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

W.T. Fits posted:

At this point, I'm expecting something stupid is going to happen that will prevent Murderdad from sitting in the drat chair, which is going to make everything we've done up to this point completely meaningless.

'This chair seems exceedingly happy and bright. THIS WILL NOT STAND! Camillia, get your Dragon Knights to bring me my chair from Nohr! Chop chop! And Corrine! Destroy this chair and toss it in the incinerator. I will be using Iago as my seat in the meantime.'

'oh god damnit'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Endorph posted:

The game cheating is fun. The best maps in FE5 are the ones where it cheats. Fire Emblem is a tactical series where the plot is almost always about a weaker army managing to overcome a much stronger one due to Friendship and Strategy. Every enemy in every FE game should cheat.

Games 'cheating' is nothing new because the computer tends to need every advantage it can get it's grubby mits on when it wants to put up a fight. The only time it's ever been a point of contention is when it uses the 'you lose' cheat (or even worse, pulls a victory from you out of it's butt.)

I mean it's up to each individual person to decide on how much puzzle they want in their FE maps and if there's one thing FE tends to be good about it's their battle puzzles (Takumei's implied tactician map here in conquest is super neato for example.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Boy it sure would have been neat to know this Garon that all the siblings seem so hung up upon. He seems like a swell guy.

I bet Xander wouldn't shut up about him and that's why all the siblings seem pretty keen on him because it's Xander's rendition of swell guy.

THANKS XANDER.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Tae posted:

Second point is that they have written picture perfect stroking ego on a main character before, which is Radiant Dawn Ike. So I'm less forgiving of "oh, they had to suddenly form to make a paradise character" when Ike was pretty much hailed as flawless, legend, hero, and solved everyone's problem with his sword.

Ike both leads by example and has his own internal consistency (and in the second game he's kind of earned his reputation.) Yeah he's pretty much flawless and everyone makes a big deal over him but the only time that feels hollow is at the beginning. Since the worldbuilding fills in that Ike is actually worth the praise he gets.

I mean he kills people too but that's not unusual as a mercenary nor is it lampshaded after the fact. (Nor made a big deal of at all like in this game.)

The problem with My Character as a lord in this game is because, like with the Conquest storyline, there's a strong element of 'have my cake and eat it too.' They wanted a decent amount of customization to go into the Lord, enough to pull you in as an Avatar. Unfortunately that restricts how you get to write that character and what you can have them do so you don't alienate the person they're being the avatar of.

And then they get thrown into the deep end of the pool that is 'changing the Evil Kingdom from within' without having the balls to back it up like Game of Thrones and welp. Nothing good'll come of that.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 11, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

PassingPie posted:

I didn't see anything in the first playthrough that indicated they were even remotely friendly. He just heard that there was a rebellion against Nohr happening somewhere and ran off to co-opt it. His formal introduction to her was funny in a terrible sort of way.

"Oh please, no need for formalities, you may simply call me Lord Ryoma."

And she did!

He said that with bedroom eyes.

She didn't get it.

Ryoma is the worst at everything that isn't fighting.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Endorph posted:

for guys who love bitching about writing nobody in this thread understands fiction

I understand fiction just fine. I recognize that all of Xander's lines post Garron's 'MWAH HA HAH'-ing are ambiguous.
However not only is it done poorly, because of the shoddy writing of the other two paths there's a distinct lack of faith here that would let this ambiguity achieve it's desired effect.

Could really have used some more non-verbal communication (IE: showing Xander is acting noticeably different than usual to let Leo know he's putting on airs and to give more evidence to the Audience for that) but whatevs.

I'm waiting to see the payoff to see if this lot of writers is better than the other paths.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

How ironic that Silas has a better understanding of knightly honor than Xander despite betraying Nohr at every opportunity.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Tae posted:

Vote's over, Camilla gets together with someone she loved as a kid...?

Better than getting together with someone she loves as family :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The latter already got her two lines this mission when you were starting. Just because this is the 'finally everything gets revealed' path doesn't mean she still has a quota on dialogue :colbert:
Gotta save some room for someone else.

Even if it's Gunter.

(maybe you were supposed to miss him. like emotionally. so now he has a chance to catch up.)

• Locked thread