Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Okay, been following this for a bit, but haven't actually weighed in yet. Anyone mind if I fix that with my interpretation of a couple lines from the game's theme song, Lost In Thoughts All Alone? I'll make sure I stick to the ones that have actually come up thus far, don't worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
...Come to think of it, I think that dragon's face looks more like an orca's or something. Is Corrin turning into a whale with legs or something?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Junpei posted:

I always thought he looked like a deer.

I can understand that, but the FACE just screams "whale" to me now that I've had a good look at it.

Besides, this isn't a real creature we're talking about- whale-faced deer aren't even remotely outside the realms of possibility, I'd say.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Okay, since nobody's told me not to, I'll post my lyrical interpretations as they come up from here on. I'll be skipping the chorus, though, since it's a bit vague. First off, the stuff that's already happened:

"In the white light, a hand reaches through"
This probably refers to the Avatar meeting Mikoto in Hoshido.

"A double-edged blade cuts your heart in two"
Ganglari. Definitely Ganglari. Specifically, how it exploded and killed Mikoto.

"Waking dreams fade away"
At first I thought it might just be a reference to how the Nohrians aren't the Avatar's family, but being reminded of that flashback makes me think it might be more specifically a reference to when they remember Garon kidnapping them.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Okay, first thing's first: Lyric interpretation.

Embrace the brand-new day
Fairly straightforward, really; I'm pretty sure this refers to picking the Hoshido path after the prologue.

Now then, my opinions on the (non-Avatar) characters thus far, in order of recruitment:

Felicia - She is one of the few characters who are UTTER TRASH at their default classes (she has the second-worst innate Strength growth out of ALL playable characters who start out using it, the worst being Gunter), but shine in a different one; she's got really good magic stats and access to a Tomes class. Personally, I like to switch her to the other Troubadour promotion ASAP so she can actually put her much-more-credible Magic growth to good use. As a character... eh, she's alright. I'm not usually fond of the "dojikko" archetype, but she pulls it off pretty well.

Rinkah - Statistically, I always see people scoff at her due to her apparently having a low Strength growth; however, they usually overlook how her default class has one of the highest Strength growth bonuses possible (pretty sure it's THE highest out of the Hoshido classes), which makes her much more credible in offense (especially considering she uses Axes and has the Skill to hit with them)... at the very least, she's never been my WORST attacker (more on that later). I kinda like her as a character, too, though she could probably stand to loosen up.

Kaze - As his growths attest, Kaze is highly specialized in assassinating enemy casters (and virtually guaranteed to cap his Speed); just keep him out of physical units' reach. As a character, I find him... a little bland, but not BAD, really. Take or leave, I guess.

Azura - Stuff tends to break around her... her included; I'm pretty sure I rarely get HP or Defense on her before around level 12 to 15. Now, I'm probably gonna get a lot of complaints for this from fans of Fates, but she's pretty low on my list of "favorite characters" - I just don't like her personality type.

Sakura - Statistically, Sakura's probably gonna be one of your best units down the line; with her growths, she can do literally anything you need her to if you just keep her level up to date. This is probably gonna sound weird after me not liking Azura, but I kinda like her as a character, too; maybe it's just that she seems less resigned and/or more proactive than Azura.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Lord Koth posted:

Not on SA at least. There are a lot of people in the FE threads that don't particularly care for Azura for reasons that will come up eventually. And Azura and Sakura don't really have similar personalities, so it doesn't really come across as odd you'd like one and not the other. Azura just seems to prefer staying out of the spotlight but has no issue interacting with strangers if necessary, whereas Sakura is flat-out shy. So other aspects of their personality, like how determined they can be in other situations, doesn't really track to their social interactions.

Fair enough. I haven't actually looked around on SA, so I wasn't aware about her unpopularity here (and I'm pretty sure I know what the reasons are); I was assuming people would complain because she seems to be a fan-favorite for some reason.

And really, what really makes me liking Sakura odd is that the shy characters usually don't do anything for me. I have no idea why I like her; I just do, I guess.

ohmygorgon posted:

I have to disagree. She may be good in a class that uses tomes, but she is probably the best option for the Maid class. Maid/Butlers are great support classes. Besides the obvious healing, their Hidden Weapons will debuff and Felicia's low Str means she probably won't kill, making her an excellent unit to control EXP gain to weaker units. Plus, there are magic based weapons of every weapon type. I recall someone else saying it was hard to obtain, but that isn't really true, it is practically handed to you in one of the routes, and can easily be bought in the other two. Once she starts using that, she can do really good damage at two range, like you would want from a Tome user, but she still has the option to go physical.

I tend to focus on making my units independently viable in combat first, THEN consider synergy. "Kill feeders" (and, to a lesser extent, support units) tend to be quite low on my lists for this reason. Therefore, I don't think we'll ever agree on this topic and thus we should just leave it at that.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

theshim posted:

Paper is actually better than a bronze weapon for two reasons. The first is that it actually gives +10 Avoid, not just the Dodge of bronze weapons, and second in that it can still crit and activate skills.

There's a joke weapon of each type, but in Fates they can actually be really good.

This. For reference, just out of the stuff you can find randomly, my weapons of choice for each weapon type are as follows (with stuff that's going to find its way into my final equipment setups whenever possible in italics):

Sword: Parasol (D Rank, 1-2 range, 1 Might, 85 Hit, +10 Crit, cannot double, +5 enemy Speed for doubling, katana modifiers), Umbrella (basically the same thing minus katana modifiers), Raider Katana (E Rank, 1 Range, 5 Might, 85 Hit, +3 user Speed for doubling, cosmetic effects with weapon advantage, katana modifiers)
Lance: Raider Naginata (E Rank, 1 Range, 5 Might, 75 Hit, +3 user Speed for doubling, cosmetic effects with weapon advantage, naginata modifiers), Peri's Lance (D Rank, 1-2 Range, 2 Might, 75 Hit, +10 Crit, cannot double, +5 enemy Speed for doubling)
Axe: Hoe (D Rank, 1 Range, 5 Might, 70 Hit, +5 Crit, ignores all terrain bonuses), Raider Axe (E Rank, 1 Range, 7 Might, 65 Hit, +3 user Speed for doubling, cosmetic effects with weapon advantage)
Bows: Raider Yumi (E Rank, 2 Range, 6 Might, 65 Hit, +3 user Speed for doubling, cosmetic effects with weapon advantage, yumi modifiers), Sidelong Yumi (D Rank, 1-2 Range, 3 Might, 65 Hit, -10 Avoid, cannot double, +5 enemy Speed for doubling, yumi modifiers)
Hidden Weapons: Kaze's Needle (C Rank, 1-2 Range, 3 Might, 90 Hit, +4 Speed to allies within 2 spaces when attacking, -4 each to enemy's Speed/Defense/Resistance on hit, shuriken modifiers), Saizo's Star (basically the same thing except for swapping Speed for Strength), Stale Bread (D Rank, 1-2 Range, 3 Might, 80 Hit, heal user 20% when attacking, -3 enemy Defense/Resistance on hit), Raider Knife (E Rank, 1-2 Range, 3 Might, 85 Hit, +3 user Speed for doubling, cosmetic effects with weapon advantage, -2 enemy Luck/Defense/Resistance on hit), Felicia's Plate (C Rank, 1-2 Range, 4 Might, 85 Hit, -10 Avoid, deals magic damage, -3 enemy Strength and -4 enemy Defense/Resistance on hit)
Tomes: Disrobing Gale (E Rank, 1-2 Range, 4 Might, 75 Hit, +3 user Speed for doubling, cosmetic effects with weapon advantage), Moonlight (D Rank, 1-2 Range, 4 Might, 70 Hit, heal user 20% when attacking)

Notice how NONE of the "random find" weapons have the property "cannot trigger offensive skills" (which, for the record, includes critical hits). This means that you can haul out stuff like Critical Astra with a random scrap of paper you find lying around if you want. This single-handedly makes the joke weapons better than Bronze-tier equipment despite their pathetic stats, and the 1-2 findable weapons of the Sword, Lance, and Bow types are better than practically anything due to their ability to CRIT at 1-2 range (the Sidelong Yumi, in particular, actually salvages Bow-locked units from UNUSABILITY). Yeah, they can be crazy good.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Cuntellectual posted:

But uh, no, bowmen are pretty good even without sidelong yumi because bows hit like nukes in this game.

Okay yeah, I was probably just considering them in a vacuum there (or more accurately, their shortage of 1-range attacks). Properly supported, they can be quite useful. It's probably my focus on making everyone viable even when cut off that led to my low opinion of bows in this series (generally speaking, a surrounded archer is USELESS due to the fact that the vast majority of bows have a minimum range of 2). It doesn't help that the AI ALWAYS tries to attack someone who can't retaliate whenever possible, since that generally leads to your archers getting neutralized by sheer surrounded-ness.

In short: There is a REASON Bow-locked units are considered low-tier in most entries.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Cuntellectual posted:

Oh absolutely, but Fates is way different there.

Of course, there's nothing preventing you from giving them a Sidelong Yumi as a backup to prevent exactly the method of neutralization I was complaining about, right? I mean, this series seems to actively reward the "weapon for every situation" approach to combat even when weapons can actually break, in my experience.

Rogue 7 posted:

I've really found the Raider +3 speed buff to be highly useful, since doubling with a weaker weapon will deal more damage, have a greater chance of triggering skills, and builds the Support Defense meter faster.

Very much this, to the point that my tome of choice in Awakening was Celica's Gale (extremely weak per hit, but doubles your attacks, no questions asked- ridiculously deadly when you can double enemies ANYWAY).

What makes Raider weapons even better is that they're only slightly weaker than Iron-tier weapons, usable by ANYONE with the appropriate weapon type unlocked, AND give a speed bonus on top of that. Like I said: Findable weapons can get crazy good.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

C rank
Felicia?! What's wrong? Why are you curling up on the floor again?!

Am I the only one who feels sorry for Felicia? I mean, it seems that the only thing she's GOOD at is something she absolutely DESPISES.

Tae posted:

Popular? With...the ladies?

Kaze is being dense. It's sad when the lifelong prisoner is more clued-in than you are. Of course, it's possible that he's just willfully oblivious.

Tae posted:

Does the ninja understand?

Well, Rinkah's in denial. Kinda trying too hard to come off as Ms. Hardass; I mean, there's nothing wrong with a sweet tooth, right?

Tae posted:

Do you really miss my spooky stories?

I can sympathize with Sakura a bit here. I mean, I hate scary stories too. Main difference is that I don't stick around to hear the end.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Lord Koth posted:

Part of it is that he likely hates himself to some extent, what with the "They're mistaken. I'm not a good man" line. So if he can't really see that side of himself, others reacting to it is going to cause confusion. Admittedly the other part of it is simply the pretty boy/nice guy combo that attracts the opposite sex with their looks and actions but never notices too.

Maybe. That said, it's not THAT hard to notice when they're being so blatant about it, at least on a subconscious level. I could understand if he just wasn't interested, but completely oblivious? :cripes:

Lord Koth posted:

I dunno, if I'm going to listen to one in the first place, I'd generally say that not hearing the ending would be even worse than hearing it, especially if you have an active imagination.

What I meant is that I tend to leave as soon as I realize it's supposed to be a horror story (somewhere in the middle of the setup, I'd say). And no, I don't play horror games at all.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

Hoping to make friends? I'm sorry to disappoint you.

Rinkah's kind of... not sure how to put it. She's definitely trying to push people away. Being the Avatar, of course, means that it's not gonna work...

Tae posted:

Do you just not like me all that much?

Well, Sakura's got problems talking to people. As shown in later supports, she has a reason for it, though.

Tae posted:

Please wait, Mr. Sheeeeeet!

Once again, Felicia sucks at chores. At least Kaze helps her keep track of stuff here.

Tae posted:

W-will you promise not to laugh?

Well, I'm sure everyone's got a possession they really like which they've kept for years. Good on Kaze for helping Sakura look for hers.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

Felicia doesn't hate combat, she just enjoys being a maid more.

Let's take a look at the hints thus far.

1: She tried to run away.
2: She only stopped to fight when she had no other choice (as in, surrounded).
3: She explicitly says she was terrified by the above situation.
4: She doesn't want to be a warrior.

Yeah, that all looks like she hates fighting to me. Not to say that she doesn't want to be a maid (because she does), but she certainly doesn't want to FIGHT.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Okay, my character thoughts for the new recruits:

Subaki - He's okay as a stopgap or a filler unit, but for some reason I just can't get him to grow past around 14 in any stat. That's TRASH by endgame. As a character... he's annoying, since he's always going on about being perfect when his character sheet tells me he SUCKS (on top of his gloating being annoying on its own).

Hana - Squishy, but really fast, as one might expect from a Myrmidon (I don't care what the game calls them). Character-wise... meh.

Silas - Silas is a beast on par with royalty, and shows up very well-armed to boot. I kinda like him as a character, to be honest.

Saizo - This guy is a top-tier unit, except for his self-damaging personal; it is no exaggeration to say that he has the highest overall growths in the game, BAR NONE. Too bad that he's pretty bland as a character...

Orochi - She's a pure caster, and it shows. She hasn't had a chance to show it yet, but she's kind of a troll; how much I like that depends largely on who she's talking to.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Endorph posted:

Subaki flies and has decent defense base, so he's one of the best units in Birthright.

Maybe I'm just being RNG screwed, but as I already said I can't get him to grow well at ALL.

That said, he still isn't the character that hates me the most... I'll tell you when that one shows up.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Endorph posted:

he flies and is in a game with pair-up

That just makes him a good chauffeur. He'd only be a good unit if he could fight well on top of that.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Last Celebration posted:

...saying a unit's only good if they can fight is kind of silly, given dancers/healers and rallybots and all.

True, but Subaki is none of those so what I said applies anyway.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

...he easily promotes to Falcon Knight once he stops being able to kill things so that he can function as a mobile staffer/rallier.

Or you could just use someone who STARTS as a healer (or Orochi, for that matter- she promotes into a staff-user too) and not only get more mileage out of the staff, but also HAVE A BETTER FIGHTER THAN HIM. I mean, being able to heal doesn't mean much when you have to walk (or fly, as the case may be) into an enemy's reach to do it (the enemy would just switch targets and probably one-shot him, especially if bows are involved), and I'm not wasting my Physics by giving them to a mediocre healer, let alone a bad one like Subaki. As to rallying, it'd take too much effort to teach him enough different Rally skills to matter, and there're better rally-bots anyway (for example, anyone with a Rally-based personal skill). In short: No matter what role you want to use him for, Subaki is outperformed by at least 3 different units, and doesn't even have the saving grace of prolonged lack of competition.

Speaking of fliers and bows, though, one thing I like to do to prevent the issue I mentioned above: Go online, find a version of the flier in question that knows Bowbreaker, and buy it for my own. Easy fix, really- even if they're still technically weak to bows, it doesn't matter if the bows never HIT, right?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Camel Pimp posted:

I've done solo class (ish, I would allow for both of the promotional classes, just so long as the skills used were only native to the class) challenges in Birthright, a Ninja and a Spear Fighter one, and Subaki ended up as being playable in both of them. And in both, he was honestly one of my better units. He was always reliably tanky, and while no one really cares about skill, his high skill meant he was particularly crit-happy.

(I also had Rinkah for both and she was garbage every time.)

...Okay, did you hack his growths or just save-scum? I mean, he's got a pretty bad growth in Defense, unimpressive to bad HP, Resistance even worse than his Defense, insufficient Speed to compensate for his frailty... basically, Subaki's the ANTI-tank. Forget durable, the only way I'd buy him being even REMOTELY relevant by endgame outside of a FLUKE (or save-scumming) is if you started spamming stat boosters on him.

I've already mentioned that I find Rinkah to be an underrated unit, but it bears repeating: While her innate growths don't really fit her default class all that well, she isn't a DISASTER at it either (unlike what Subaki has been established to be- and sadly, in my experience he isn't even the biggest failure). Besides, it's already been mentioned that she makes a quite credible tank if you can just get her some HP (and I'm pretty sure that's the easiest stat to improve through permanent boosters, if necessary), which makes her perfectly usable on its own.

And before you complain about me bringing up stat boosters: I'm only referring to using ONE type of stat booster, in quantities easily obtainable through normal gameplay, to stabilize a single bad stat in an otherwise-credible unit (two or three HP boosters isn't all that much to ask, is it?), NOT advocating farming about 500 of each to cap everything for everyone in every class.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Camel Pimp posted:

Yeah, I noticed the growth rate you gave for Subaki's defenses is wrong. It's 45, not 30.

Okay, fine, I'll admit I might've been somewhat wrong about his Defense and HP growths, but to be fair I was arguing from the point of view of someone who levels units to 20/20 in classes they NATURALLY have access to, and frankly Subaki's default class set, unlike Rinkah's base class, does literally nothing to improve his ability to take a hit. Admittedly, that isn't what those classes are supposed to do in the first place, but if you can't take a hit then you need to be able to AVOID them instead, and Subaki's got issues on that front too (his innate Speed growth is nearly as bad as OROCHI'S, which is completely unforgivable for his class set).

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Mozu - Her growths are complimented by two things: First, she has access to Merchant, a class with an excellent growth bonus (yes, I actually calculated and ranked all the growth totals for both characters and classes; for the record, all her other classes are pretty low-tier on that front), which combines with Aptitude to make her already-respectable growths frankly ridiculous... and they're even well-distributed on top of that; for those of you determined to make her an archer, said class uses bows and lances, and there's nothing stopping you from swapping her to the Archer tree when she caps if that isn't good enough. Second, she also has access to Master of Arms, a very good melee class, should you not want another archer (never underestimate the power of TOTAL CONTROL OF THE WEAPON TRIANGLE). Both as promotions to her BASE class, for the record. Anyway, lectures on the potential power of her base class's promotions aside, as a character she's not that bad, I say. There're worse, at the least.

If you want to know what her growth rates look like in the Merchant class, assuming she's got Aptitude equipped (and why wouldn't she if you're training her?): HP 60%, Str 70%, Mag 15%, Skl 70%, Spd 70%, Lck 70%, Def 55%, Res 45%. It may only be about 10-19 levels, but those levels are probably gonna make her an absolute MONSTER in physical combat. So yeah, for best results you're gonna want to level Mozu as a Merchant and then switch her to whatever class you ACTUALLY want her to be.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Last Celebration posted:

Are those nineteen levels gonna really be much more than a +2 at best compared to other options?

I can't believe you're asking this. Of COURSE better growths are worth it! A single point can literally mean the difference between victory and a TPK in Fire Emblem! ...ahem, sorry, I must've been possessed by the spirit of Serious Business. But anyway, like I said, while it probably won't amount to large stat increases compared to her other class options, those increases are still totally worth it.

ApplesandOranges posted:

'Total control of the weapon triangle' is a a nice idea in theory but the weapon grind is really bad in this game, unless you like swinging with Bronze weapons for too long a time. I mean I can't remember a time when I used all three weapon types on a Great Knight. Usually they just focused on whichever they'd already built up and maybe dipped into another one for easy kills.

We have already established that Raider weapons are a thing. Give someone a katana and naginata, train their Axes until they can use iron (or a Hoe, as the case may be), and they're good to go- they don't even NEED to cap their weapon skills for them to be useful. I mean, the right tool for the job gets things done a lot more easily than brute-forcing it in at least 90% of cases, right? Being able to rely on consistently having weapon advantage can compensate for... I dunno, tempted to say 3 points in every stat? And this is before even getting into weapons that specifically target a type of unit.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

Fyi I'm not using a heart seal until basically chapter 13 so all this talk about archer mozu is a long ways away.

I expect Merchant Mozu to make an appearance at some point, then.

ApplesandOranges posted:

If you're lucky enough to pick up a Raider weapon, sure. Remember that they're RNG from My Castle, so you might not ever get one.

They can also be found in Challenges (also known as "revisit old maps to level grind"), so I never had any shortage of supply until I started forging them. Sidelong Yumi, on the other hand, I have actually had shortages of. Not that I expect Tae to actually GRIND, really, at least beyond what's necessary for supports, but it's something to keep in mind for those of us who're playing on our own. Of course, you'll probably say something along the lines of "why not grind out weapon ranks while you're at it" (which I do), but Raider weapons, unlike weapon ranks, are transferable as needed, so when the character you're using can equip Iron or Steel, give that to them and pass the Raider stuff on to someone who can't. And if you're REALLY having supply problems, then even the joke weapons will do.

Of course, all this is irrelevant on Conquest, where not only can you not do Challenges, but you can't get Raider Katana/Naginata/Yumi OR Sidelong Yumi. But then we're talking about Birthright right now.

ApplesandOranges posted:

And if you're doing an 'honest' run where the stuff from the castle is banned, then they're off-limits.

By "honest" you mean "challenge" right? Because that's literally the only reason I can see to NOT use a mechanic that the creators obviously intend you to take full advantage of. I mean, online stuff? Yeah, I can see that being banned for regular play (if only for how grindy it can get), but not actual, in-game, non-DLC items which aren't even all that hard to find.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

C Supports

Yes, the "Surveillance Notes—Corrin" on your notebook suggested as much.

...Dammit Saizo, does your primary personality trait really have to be paranoia?! I mean, I know espionage is literally your job, but there's no need to take it THAT far.

Tae posted:

I've sometimes wondered if I'm too familiar.

I honestly don't have much to say about this one.

Tae posted:

My tactics are beyond reproach.

Subaki, maybe you should take a step back and really look at yourself before you continue calling yourself "perfect." You're nowhere near strong enough to solo anything, you're apparently too stupid to consider bringing backup, and you can't even be bothered to keep track of your allies so you don't get isolated. I'd expect that sort of attitude to get you court-martialed in a real military.

Tae posted:

You remember now, and that's all that matters to me.

By "remember" I'm pretty sure Silas means that he wrote the places the Avatar wanted to go down, and still carries the list with him for some unfathomable reason.

Tae posted:

Goodness. You make it sound like I've never spoken to you before!

Kaze takes his job drat seriously, I see. And apparently Azura's a bit of a hermit.

Camel Pimp posted:

Are you saying that the MyCastle won't give you these weapons on Conquest? Because they totally will.

I've never gotten a Nohr-side castle drop in Birthright, so I'd assume that you can only get weapons from your current route (Katana/Naginata/Clubs/Yumi/Shuriken/Scrolls in Birthright, Swords/Lances/Axes/Bows/Knives/Tomes in Nohr). I wasn't saying that the castle wouldn't give items, I was just saying it wouldn't give THOSE SPECIFIC items. BIG difference, wouldn't you say?

Of course, I haven't played the Nohr route myself yet, so I could, admittedly, be mistaken. Not expecting it due to the evidence I've got thus far, but it's possible. Unfortunately, it's unlikely I'd believe you without a screenshot or something, which probably can't be posted here due to spoilers, and even if said screenshot DOES turn up it's possible I'd just dismiss it as being from the third route... Honestly, it's unlikely I'll be convinced otherwise unless it actually happens to me.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
First off: Bench Felicia (she and Kaze have enough experience that it'd be a bit of a waste to use them right now, but Kaze has Reasons for consistent deployment) and Robe Rinkah (like I said: good tank if she can get HP). Just make sure Kaze sticks with the Avatar, I say.

Anyway, supports (which I am not convinced Tae isn't unlocking through offscreen Challenges):

Tae posted:

C Supports

I feel like I'm wasting my time even explaining this to you.

Oh sure, blame the victim. REAL endearing there, Hana... (/sarcasm) Really, I'd be able to accept this better if she blamed Nohr instead.

Tae posted:

The truth is, you're notorious for being a very clumsy person.

Felicia is still bad at maid-ing, and Subaki is still nowhere near as perfect as he claims.

Tae posted:

To be blunt, I don't trust you.

Saizo is apparently even more paranoid than his Corrin support shows: Azura was RAISED in Hoshido (by the ROYAL FAMILY no less) and he STILL thinks she might be an enemy. Way to alienate the crowd, man.

Tae posted:

Hey, it happens to the best of us.

Kaze is a very serious man, right down to repaying debts, it seems.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Unit reviews.

Hinoka - Mechanically, Hinoka is pretty much the biggest reason Subaki is worthless. I mean, you're probably not gonna bother using a unit when they're rendered completely obsolete literally one stage later, right? And yes, her Guard Naginata is awesome; sure, it makes it a bit harder to dodge, but when it makes it that much harder for enemies to damage you I'd say it's worth it (the kicker: It isn't even exclusive to her, so if you get more you can equip other Lance-users with them). Anyway, she's probably one of my favorite characters in the game.

Azama - Azama suffers from having a worthless personal skill, but he's got pretty great growths. Personally, I tend to think of him (promoted, of course) as a front-line fighter who happens to be able to heal rather than a healer with the ability to attack. Unfortunately, I detest him as a character.

Setsuna - Probably the second-worst character in my save. Sure, she's basically guaranteed to cap Speed, but I think I got, like, ONE point of strength from levels at 20 (which is just ATROCIOUS). I checked, and not only is she the third-weakest out of ALL the units who start out using Strength (only having higher innate growth than Felicia and freakin' GUNTER, the latter of whose total growths tend to be around the value of individual stats' growths for the good units), but she doesn't have ANYTHING to fall back on (she has literally no Magic growth, and sadly the skills she learns aren't enough to compensate for having 13-ish Strength at endgame). In fact, I've checked, and her Strength growth is even worse than GENERIC ARCHERS. Frankly, I think Setsuna only works early-game and as emergency anti-air; later on her Strength tends to suffer so much that she's literally incapable of damaging things without the player going out of their way to set up a kill for her (debuff the enemy's Defense, buff Setsuna's Strength, give her a partner who boosts her damage, AND give her a forged weapon... well, actually, that last bit might be exaggeration). And she doesn't get a reprieve from the "character" front, either; she's so clueless it infuriates me.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Hayato - He's a guy who probably SHOULD turn out well, at least. His growths're great for eventually putting him in one of the hybrid classes, which is aided by the fact that he starts out with access to two of them (one Axes and Tomes, the other Lances and Tomes); problem is, when I used him, I got RNG screwed so he turned out incredibly unimpressive (or possibly even downright bad). As a character... he's as annoying as you'd expect.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

C Support

It should've been you in Hoshido all those years—basking in the sunlight!

An interesting note is that Azura has different supports with the Avatar depending on your route. (I honestly can't think of much else to say here...)

Tae posted:

I don't think I'd be able to change my ways.

Okay, Sakura and Hana are apparently more "childhood friends" than "liege and retainer." Good for them.

Tae posted:

I know all about your facade.

Dammit, game, stop encouraging Subaki's delusions! Saizo could roflstomp him any day! Seriously, Subaki's "Mr. Perfect" gimmick would only work on a CREDIBLE combatant, not... well, Subaki.

Tae posted:

I've...I've seen something terrible.

Y'know, prophecies could probably stand to be a bit more specific...

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

C Support

You have so much bloodlust.

Finally, a bit of characterization for Saizo that does NOT involve rampant paranoia!

Tae posted:

Your mother was truly unique

At least the writers're trying to give Mikoto SOME characterization, even if most of it is post-mortem. That said, her primary purpose in the story is "plot device."

Tae posted:

I'm so happy to hear that they're praising me!

Finally, someone calls Subaki out on his bullshit! Frankly, I think that if he and Hana fought, Hana would probably win, weapon triangle be damned. Maybe I'm being biased, though.

Tae posted:

*Lots of stammering*

Sakura, he was actively encouraging you to ask your question, so maybe you should just pull yourself together and ask already.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

I was going to say that, but they're not as obviously thinner towards the back. Unless there's different styles of them.

Pretty sure there are, indeed, multiple variants on the basic fundoshi design. That said, I can't identify exactly what KIND they're wearing for you.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

C Support

Oh! Every morning we wake up with the same bedhead

Well, Sakura's apparently feeling inadequate compared to Hinoka. I don't think she's got anything to actually worry about, but...

Tae posted:

I wouldn't expect anything less of an unenlightened person.

Azama's an rear end, but at least he's got a point...

Tae posted:

I'm the most motivated gal around the castle.

Yes, falling into traps is kind of Setsuna's thing. It doesn't matter how obvious it is, she WILL fall for it. Yes, even uncovered pits. I think I might've read somewhere that she actually does it on purpose, but don't quote me on that.

Tae posted:

It's basically your responsibility now.

I have to admit, while I'm not particularly fond of Hayato, at least I like this support. I guess there's just something about the "writing home just to let them know you're okay" thing that appeals to me...

ohmygorgon posted:

I'll also say that there is little reason for Mozu to use a Raider Yumi over a Brass Yumi, considering the Brass is stronger and more accurate. The effective speed boost means almost nothing when Mozu is at E Rank, considering you are going to have a chip the enemy down enough for Mozu to actually get the kill in the first place, and skills like Poison Strike make it pretty simple to get the HP down to 1. While it is definitely useful for her to have in specific situations, Mozu gets pretty little out of the Raider Weapons in general, seeing as before she catches up to the enemies, she'll just be killing weakened enemies, and once she catches up, chances are she is doubling on her own.

While I'm on the topic, it seems like a lot of people hate Bronze/Brass Weapons. The fact that they can't crit or activate skills is a good thing, and when combined with their high accuracy and +10 dodge, they are worth keeping around the entire game, particularly for units with shaky Skl and Luk. And if, for whatever reason, you still cannot accept weapons with low damage, forging in Fates is pretty great. Since weapons have infinite durability, any unit that can make use of a forged weapon can do so throughout the entire game. Just forging a bronze weapon once gives it the same Mt as an Iron, being in E Rank is barely an issue in Fates.

...How is "less damage" a GOOD thing? I mean, yeah, kill feeding, but, completely aside from my distaste for the very idea of the concept, generally speaking if you're using E-rank weapons then you're the one BEING fed, not the feeder, so you're gonna want to do as much damage as possible. And there's plenty of reason to use a Raider Yumi over Brass for pure damage: While it's the only weapon type where the Bronze-tier weapon has more raw power than the Raider-type weapon (if barely), Bronze can't crit or trigger skills (as you, yourself, acknowledged), which, combined with the Raider Yumi making doubling easier, means its average damage output is actually LOWER.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

The Raider weapons' biggest problem is that they have rear end for accuracy, which is a problem when the only thing the babied unit needs to do is hit the target

Which is the only conceivable reason to use Bronze-tier stuff over them, IMO. Even then, there're ways to get around that and still use the Raider stuff effectively.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

ohmygorgon posted:

(lecture on Bronze)

It's obvious this is another "we'll never agree on this, so let's just stop before somebody starts complaining" topic. I've only got two more things to say before dropping it. First: "You'd be surprised how often +3 effective speed will allow you to double when you couldn't otherwise, even at endgame." Second: "If you're in a place where you're in range of more than 2 units at a time and your unit isn't impervious to their attacks, that's a strategic mistake and you should be trying your best to get OUT of their range." Yes, even if you get cornered (ESPECIALLY if you get cornered, actually).

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

C Support

It's so bitter my tongue has gone numb in self-defense!

Ah yes, the typical "can't cook" stuff. My assumptions on the reasoning: Hinoka's too busy with combat training to practice her cooking, while Setsuna's just too spaced out.

Tae posted:

Well, if you want them that badly, go ahead and take everything.

I think Hana's love of flowers might be a play on her name. At least I can understand Hayato's lack of enthusiasm for flower-print... well, everything, apparently.

Tae posted:

And haven't you heard the rumor about us?

Why do all of Subaki's supports focus almost exclusively on his alleged perfection? It just makes my distaste for him EVEN WORSE.

Tae posted:

It's a special kind of battle, called Predator.

And Silas is tricking Rinkah into playing tag with him. Well, I DID say that she should loosen up a bit...

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

C Support

Fates NOT about fighting!

On the one hand, I'd refuse to get my fortune told, too. On the other hand, this is a fantasy setting, and thus it's possible that they may actually be able to see the future, to some extent. Orochi's kinda pushy about it, though.

Tae posted:

You're being melodramatic again, Kaze.

Kaze: professional gofer.

Tae posted:

P-please stop squirming!

...No comment.

Tae posted:

Traps and I are destined for each other.

...Dammit, Setsuna.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Okay, before my comments on Takumi's lackeys: Setsuna got a REALLY weird level, but at least she got the one stat she needs the most. Now then...

Oboro - She's a royal-tier monster! Good bases with excellent growths across the board, plus a great personal... There's really not much reason NOT to use her. As a character... not bad, actually, even though blatantly prejudiced characters usually annoy me (at least she has an excuse...).

Hinata - Probably the biggest disappointment on my team; I have NEVER gotten a remotely viable Hinata. I mean, he doesn't get enough Strength and, despite his class AND WIELDING THE MOST ACCURATE WEAPON TYPE, he doesn't get enough Skill to reliably hit ANYTHING. I know people generally consider Skill to be a dump stat, but there is such a thing as taking it too far, and Hinata crosses that line for me- I mean, who heard of a Swordmaster with less than 15 Skill (I think my Hinata's tend to have about 13 Strength and Skill at 20/20, and I'm being generous here)? Really, literally ANY other Sword user would outdo him, even when they don't start out using them (it's sad that I'm including Subaki in that, but at least HE can HIT). And he's also a complete and utter MORON, so no respite on that front, either.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Between Azura and Izana, it's pretty obvious that her song's more along the lines of a musical prophecy than anything.

On a side note, it's kinda funny how everyone's so convinced that Zola's eccentric act couldn't possibly be how the real Izana acts... and then they meet him, and that's EXACTLY how he behaves. I mean, "Oh, ancient gods... What's up?" indeed.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

C Support

When I'm around sweets, I can't stop myself!

Well, Sakura has a sweet tooth. Hayato seems to, as well, but he's apparently in denial about it. Honestly, I don't get why people consider it "girly" or "below real men" to like sweets...

Tae posted:

Really? You seemed anguished over something.

Oboro is an insomniac workaholic. The rest of her supports with the Avatar explain why.

Tae posted:

Lady Azura, can you read minds?

Hinata is gullible. Maybe the army should send Azura to do their shopping for them instead...

Tae posted:

It's about the finer points of Nohrian cavalry tactics.

Kind of a boring support, really.

Omobono posted:

I think the ancient gods appreciate the relaxed attitude in this case. I feel you can't not like this dude, at least in moderation.

I never said I didn't like him. In fact, I like to put him in charge of the prison just because I get a kick out of his lines when you tell him to persuade a prisoner, with the kicker being the last three sound clips: "Prepare to be judged!" (loud clattering) "Oops... sorry!"

Omobono posted:

I unfortunately have to side with Corrin on this (I feel dirty). There's a world of difference between what Corrin did (defection) and executing your subordinate because he failed you.
The former can be justified (say, if your emperor is Adolf mcEvilbeard), the latter is pretty much always inexcusable. Especially in this case where the plan failed because Izuna is Izuna and your dude did too good of a job impersonating him.

I get the feeling Leo's actually trying to execute Zola for WAR CRIMES (namely, attacking a nation that Nohr isn't at war with), which is not only perfectly excusable but EXPECTED.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

AradoBalanga posted:

It's probably the best punchline to all of this; yes, the leader of a neutral region with divine spiritual power is in fact, a colossal dork. I can only imagine how Mikoto and Sumeragi handled Izana in the past.

The maxim "smile and nod" was probably involved. That and a significant quantity of "let us never speak of this again," judging from how the Avatar's siblings seem to have been unaware of how he acts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I vote specifically for Saizo finishing the boss off, for Reasons.

Also, you screwed up the link to Setsuna's stats.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 28, 2017

• Locked thread