Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Witch Elise is a valid choice.

Keep Ophelia as Sorcerer until she learns Bowbreaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Hunt11 posted:

And lose a healer? Also Bowbreaker is not a good enough skill to delay everything that the Witch brings.

Elise is much, much better at the nuker role.

I made Elise a witch and Odin a strategist on my file and I regret nothing.

Ophelia is still a sorc mostly for the crit bonus but I'm thinking that changes soon.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Hunt11 posted:

How? Ophelia's personal skill increases her crit chance and when combined with the boost that the witch class gives allows her to just obliterate anything. Elise's personal skill has great synergy with being a strategist as when combined with demosile and the cap skill she is providing male units the equivalent of +7 defense/resistance and +3 Strength/Magic.

My bad, saying Elise > Ophelia in the nuking department would be nuts.

I'm saying that I found Witch Elise to be a lot better for the team one-rounding whatever she was pointed at rather than being a healbot. Then again, she capped Magic, Speed, and Luck as a witch in my file so maybe I'm just super lucky?

Made her supports of her complaining she was useless in combat super hilarious.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Well, I have the DLC map, so mother and daughter are now witches.

Time to murder everyone ever.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So I can't speak to Birthright because I legitimately don't care as much, but I've been kicking around a few ideas for Conquest to make it less completely rear end. I have a feeling it does actually involve changing the characters somewhat, but the characters are legitimately part of the problem, because as written everyone is a moron,

The big problems with Conquest are
-we don't care about Garon. He's presented as nothing but an evil bad guy undeserving of loyalty with no real goals besides "be a bad guy". He surrounds himself with sycophants and murderers and tries to kill the Avatar. He doesn't even value his own children, but he's not scary enough to worry about when he's not there.
-Corrine is not nearly pragmatic.intelligent, or ruthless enough to survive in an evil empire.

Really, everything else is secondary to that.

I've got two options - either the narrative changes to show Garon as a once-good man corrupted by absolute evil, or Corrine is more practical and ruthless as befitting someone raised in an evil empire.

Option 1

We overhaul the intro with the purpose of making Nohr seem more attractive. Instead of opening with the dream "choose your side" we open with the negotiations between Sumeragi and Garon from the flashback. Instead of Garon having planned it as a trap for Sumeragi, something goes wrong in the negotiations*, Sumeragi makes the first move to try to kill Garon and Garon is forced to kill him in self-defense. Sumeragi brought his infant child along, so now Garon has to decide what to do with him. Iago suggests murder, but Garon can't bring himself to do that and fires Iago for being a morally bankrupt piece of poo poo.

Flash forward 15 years or so, where young Corrine is learning to fight with Garon as they go save some Nohrian villages from bandits/Faceless or whatever. Garon takes the opportunity to explain to Corrine that kingship isn't about being the boss and getting what you want, but helping your people thrive and flourish and that's why we're going on the front lines to protect these villages. Insert some scenes of Garon teaching Corrin valuable life lessons and how to be a good person. Hans is the leader of the bandits, but he escapes somehow.

Flash forward 5 years, Corrine has been away from court serving as an ambassador to the Ice Tribe (and getting to know Felicia and Flora) and returns to find Iago and Hans hanging out at court, Garon is planning a massive war against Hoshido, and the Nohr royal kids are worried as hell about their father but are too scared to say anything after he beat a servant to death. Corrine protests (while the Nohr kids warn her not to do it) and is sent with Ganglari to deliver a list of demands and (unknowingly) take out the Hoshidan royals in the process.

The initial Hoshido sequence is changed. We keep the mind-control barrier that's keeping Nohr out, and we expand that into more vaguely implied dystopian efforts. We balance the Hoshidan royals defending against Nohrian incursion with Corrine explaining how Nohr is covered in eternal darkness (a curse from a pissed-off Hoshido royal way back in the day) and having trouble finding food. Keep the Hoshidan royal family mostly the same , including the crap they've taken from Nohr and the historical feuds (along with the murder of the previous king).

Keep the cursed sword assassination attempt with Mikoto's sacrifice. Maybe make it a straight up bomb instead, I don't know. Point being, Garon has now crossed a line and tried to kill Corrine - something he would have found inconceivable - so Corrine goes back to Nohr to demand an explanation. Garon does his divination thing, Corrine is spared (though the Nohr kids flip the hell out at how brazen she's being) while Corrine point-blank asks what the hell happened to the kind man who raised her. This results in Corrine being loosed against the Ice Tribe (her friends, remember) as a loyalty test, and most of the game continues with the invading Hoshido/putting down rebellions as the Nohr kids try to find some way of breaking the curse on Garon. This leads them first to meeting Azura, then to the Rainbow Sage (who tells them about the throne of Hoshido), and then to the opera house where Corrine and the kids are in on the plan to uncurse Garon which doesn't work and is ruined by the arrival of Hoshidan assassins.

This also can lead to a dynamic where Azura post-opera advocates for Garon's death but Corrine and the kids are reluctant to kill their father who used to be such a good man.

*The weird ghost guys attack? I don't want to say too much for fear of spoilers

Option 2
Garon is an irredeemable rear end in a top hat as presented in game, but Corrine is a lot smarter and more ruthless having grown up in the Nohrian court instead of in a podunk castle in the middle of nowhere with only a bunch of maids for company. Corrine knows exactly what a monster Garon is and reacts accordingly - no confronting him in public like an idiot, outward obedience to orders, etc - until she goes to Hoshido and realizes that you can have a family that's not screwed up and abusive. However, she can't bring herself to abandon the Nohr royals to Garon's bullshit so says goodbye to her Hoshidan family and goes home to overthrow Garon.

The Ice Tribe and Cheve rebellions are quashed not through firepower but by telling them post-battle "look we're not actually here to stop you rebellion, just wait until we can put a plan together and get more dudes". Hans is sent to execute Scarlet but is killed by "rebels" (aka a pissed off Corrine), Iago is similarly isolated and murdered when he tries to pull off his teamkilling bullshit, the daimyo of Mokushin ends up fighting you because you try to promise him more than Garon and his bullshit detector goes off. This results in you guys making contact with Hoshidan intelligence (aka Kagero, Saizo, and Kaze) and coming to some agreement where you do as little as possible in the war against Hoshido to start the rebellion against Garon at home.

drat, I just wasted a bunch of time creating Fire Emblem fanfic, didn't I?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Endorph posted:

not really. there are plenty of jrpgs with moral complexity on both sides. it doesn't have to be both sides being super complicated and nuanced, just moments of humanity. travant managed to come across like a reasonable person after literally murdering a woman and stealing her baby because of like seven lines, max. he isn't pure or tragic or even all the sympathetic, but he's a reasonable human being who does things for a reason. it isn't that hard to do and plenty of games have done it.

Ogre Battle anyone?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm about a mission or two ahead.

I almost threw my 3ds out the window at this scene because seriously, killing Garon is kinda what I want to do at this point. People are what, level 10 of their promoted classes now? Why are we still taking Garon's bullshit?

This really should have started the Nohrian civil war. You have all the Nohr Royals, Sakura and Yukumura would help you out, I'm sure you could get the rest of the Hoshido royals to help with this. This feels vaguely like the second path of Shining Force 3 where everyone is calling you a bad guy for helping Emperor Domaric but you don't really get a say in the matter.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

As much as we poo poo on the writing of this game, sending the polticially dubious unit (yours) into the most dangerous place makes sense.

I mean, you keeping the "get the chair" part doesn't, but that is this game.

Having burned out on this game again I'm looking forward to seeing how stupid this gets.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Dammit Xander, that's literally what we're doing! Our vision is supposedly those two kingdoms at peace, Garon's vision is slaughter and bloodshed!

Why do I get the feeling that putting Garon on the chair solves absolutely nothing?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I don't think with what's been written in the game you can actually have Xander bitch about justice at all because if he actually believed his own justice he'd have killed Garon. Nobody actually seems to care about Garon as their father, they all see him as the pointlessly evil tyrant he is. You could have Xander rage about how he feels powerless to stop this, have Garon be a lot scarier, and make Xander try to mitigate as much of Garon's poo poo when Garon is offscreen as possible, but this just doesn't work.

To make this actually work you'd need to make this be Xander legitimately forced into doing this against his will AND show that this is the last thing Xander would want to be doing. The game does neither.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I just spammed archers/fliers like a punk and ended up taking them out as they spawned.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

This is the map I'm currently stuck on.

It reinforced my hatred of ninjas. Forever. Think of a ninja shuriken stomping a Nohrian face. Forever.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

NOPE!

I had two witches on standby with the intent of warping 4 more characters for a Ryoma beatdown, but Intsys hates you too much.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I just want to say I am honestly surprised the writers are finally letting you do this.

I legitimately don't know what the hell was stopping you from doing this before, or why you couldn't have just shanked Garon instead of killing Ryoma, but hey, this game's writing sucks.

I am not even sure how the hell this would be fixed, but if it turns out Anankos tells Garon to smash the chair I am going to die laughing.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Tae posted:

Conquest Takumi is the player asking why would someone who's father was murdered in cold blood, kidnapped, was locked up in a castle for like a decade, attempted multiple murders in a span of a day, blew up Hoshido, and killed your real mom would rejoin Nohr.

The bolded part would be a legitimate reason if we hadn't seen Birthright.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Still not sure what the hell these assholes' plan was, why Garon didn't notice, or what was up, but they're dead and I'm happy.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

drat.

I am genuinely surprised the writers are having us fight Garon.

I was expecting to be trolled hardcore.

I mean, we should have killed him like 50 missions ago but still, baby steps.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

And Corrine saves...what, again?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Why is Azura singing anyway? Your army just massacred an evil mutant king and his entire army. You should be able to just beat up Takumi without it.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Now I'm free from any compulsion to finish this game.

Thank you Tae.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

But what if we just...walked away?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

BlazeEmblem posted:

I'm not sure why everyone thinks that Xander is just ignoring this, since right after he see Garon being crazy, he says:

It sounds to me like he is going to meet up with Corrine after all.

I thought he was preparing an ambush?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I would ask why Anankos gets a pass for messing with Nohr

Then realized I didn't care

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Shakespeare this ain't.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

You'd think there'd be some Valla-only classes we'd be running into or could recruit.

Then I remember it's this game.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Is it me or does the Selena -> Caeldori thing seem super incestuous somehow?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The sad thing is that the ability to summon an army of the dead would be incredibly useful for our heroes, which is why I'm sure Rhajat loses it as soon as she joins your team.

Really the whole Awakening reincarnation thing is incredibly stupid.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So if Anankos has direct control over Nohr's king, and everyone in Nohr is too much of a spineless coward to oppose Ganon, what does he get out of destroying Nohr rather than just joining Nohr's military to his own and launching a war of conquest? Hell, he could probably just bribe the Nohrians with food from Valla and the opportunity to emigrate/travel to his much less crappy kingdom and there's a good chance he'd get the country behind him.

For an invisible hand behind the scenes his plans sure are dumb.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Glazius posted:

If anyone's still alive, there's someone who could take the kingdom back. If no one is alive, the kingdom will be his forever.

And then what? Does he just turn people into dumb purple ghosts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Is that undead Mikoto?

• Locked thread