Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So, I've been around 130lbs for most of my life, I am now 40. I am also 6 feet tall. Pretty much, I am very active, run, hike, more running, more hiking, dogs, etc. I am on my feet more than 8 hours a day working, and have a stand up computer desk/workplace. I guess, I probably burn a poo poo load of calories which brings me to my next point which is I really do eat food. Couple eggs and hams for breakfast, or oatmeal. Maybe some fruit shake. A burrito or sandwich for lunch, with chips or whatever, sometimes fruit. Usually some normal dinner, whatever. Then I snack all night. I definitely feel like I eat enough food. But maybe not. Doctors freak the gently caress out when they weigh me, so much so that I hate going. loving same BS, OMG YOU MIGHT DIE, BMI index said you are going to die.

I am not dieing that I know of.

So, I figure maybe I should look into more calorie dense foods. The big catch is me and milk do not get along. This means most of the OMG WEIGHT GAIN 5000 poo poo is no bueno. It's all based on milk proteins and I have tried some and it hosed me up pretty good .

Maybe goons have some ideas what the hell i can do to not look like I just vacationed in Auschwitz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.

redeyes posted:

So, I've been around 130lbs for most of my life, I am now 40. I am also 6 feet tall. Pretty much, I am very active, run, hike, more running, more hiking, dogs, etc. I am on my feet more than 8 hours a day working, and have a stand up computer desk/workplace. I guess, I probably burn a poo poo load of calories which brings me to my next point which is I really do eat food. Couple eggs and hams for breakfast, or oatmeal. Maybe some fruit shake. A burrito or sandwich for lunch, with chips or whatever, sometimes fruit. Usually some normal dinner, whatever. Then I snack all night. I definitely feel like I eat enough food. But maybe not. Doctors freak the gently caress out when they weigh me, so much so that I hate going. loving same BS, OMG YOU MIGHT DIE, BMI index said you are going to die.

So, I figure maybe I should look into more calorie dense foods. The big catch is me and milk do not get along. This means most of the OMG WEIGHT GAIN 5000 poo poo is no bueno. It's all based on milk proteins and I have tried some and it hosed me up pretty good .

Maybe goons have some ideas what the hell i can do to not look like I just vacationed in Auschwitz.

OP it's probably a bad idea to seek major changes in your weight without consulting a doctor no matter how much your image bothers you. If you've had the same BMI your whole life you should probably tell that to your doctors. If you seek to gain weight ask them their advice or to refer you to a nutritionist or w/e. If you don't believe the advice of your normal doctor, get a second opinion. If they both tell you the same thing, maybe you should take their advice into consideration??

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Phraggah posted:

OP it's probably a bad idea to seek major changes in your weight without consulting a doctor no matter how much your image bothers you. If you've had the same BMI your whole life you should probably tell that to your doctors. If you seek to gain weight ask them their advice or to refer you to a nutritionist or w/e. If you don't believe the advice of your normal doctor, get a second opinion. If they both tell you the same thing, maybe you should take their advice into consideration??

I don't think its worth overthinking. I don't trust doctors anyhow. I'm not talking about going vegetarian or something, just eating more dense foods, maybe some supplements that aren't milk based.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

redeyes posted:

I don't trust doctors anyhow

There is your problem right there.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Any other advice then?

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Going into a weight gain at age 40 can be a slippery slope. Changing your metabolism and then trying to halt or reverse that process could literally take you from being I assume healthy right now to undoing you in a few years. It's also harder to gain muscle as you get older and gaining too much weight would put a lot of strain on the muscles you currently have. You need to consult a doctor before doing any weight gain.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I am not a weak person. 10 or 20 lbs won't be a big deal. When I hike I usually take at least 10 lbs of stuff in my pack. Just have a hard time gaining weight is all.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
drink more beer.

Loco
Dec 6, 2006

Why is.. Those things?
Jesus christ, no one's mentioned weight lifting yet? OP I strongly recommend weight lifting. Combined with increased eating, you'll gain weight in no time. Your body will also gain definition and functional strength, so you won't throw your back out next time you have to reach for that heavy box on the top shelf at an awkward angle.

If you've never lifted before, take it slow and focus on form first, with low weight or no weight at all (just the weight of the bar), and ask strangers for help. Here's a great thread for you: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526910

Eating enough is the hardest part, for myself and others. Pretty much every meal, you should be adding an extra something, like a protein shake or a pb&j. Look into vegan protein powders, if you can't process milk.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Loco posted:

Jesus christ, no one's mentioned weight lifting yet? OP I strongly recommend weight lifting. Combined with increased eating, you'll gain weight in no time. Your body will also gain definition and functional strength, so you won't throw your back out next time you have to reach for that heavy box on the top shelf at an awkward angle.

If you've never lifted before, take it slow and focus on form first, with low weight or no weight at all (just the weight of the bar), and ask strangers for help. Here's a great thread for you: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526910

Eating enough is the hardest part, for myself and others. Pretty much every meal, you should be adding an extra something, like a protein shake or a pb&j. Look into vegan protein powders, if you can't process milk.
Now we are talking. .
I have a good weight set. I find myself tired as hell and need more energy for anything like working out but this is my goal. I have lifted off and on over the years but nothing enough to build bulk, just get stronger in general.

So then I have tried various protein powders and most of them gave me lactose problems. I actually just ordered some of the Carnivore beef protein based protein powder. Figure, why not, it seems different enough to maybe not mess with my guts. Worst case is I throw it out.

Any other suggestions in terms of calorie dense foods? Or should I just head over to that thread.

Loco
Dec 6, 2006

Why is.. Those things?

redeyes posted:

I find myself tired as hell and need more energy for anything like working out

Wait, are you saying you find yourself tired before working out? That is strange, if so, and may be something to be concerned about.

Anyway, that workout thread I linked to does not cover nutrition- But there's a nutrition megathread in the same forum. Dense foods include stuff like nuts, avocados, dried fruit, meat.. Just google it. Homemade chili is a good calorie-dense option you could make in big batches.

Edit: Here's the general diet thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483424
Also, here's a recent "hard gainer" thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3799132

Loco fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 12, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Loco posted:

Wait, are you saying you find yourself tired before working out? That is strange, if so, and may be something to be concerned about.

Anyway, that workout thread I linked to does not cover nutrition- But there's a nutrition megathread in the same forum. Dense foods include stuff like nuts, avocados, dried fruit, meat.. Just google it. Homemade chili is a good calorie-dense option you could make in big batches.

Edit: Here's the general diet thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483424
Also, here's a recent "hard gainer" thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3799132

I guess I should be specific, I work a LOT. Almost never sit down. Thats how I get tired, its not from doing nothing trust me.
Thanks for the links, I will check these out.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

"I don't trust doctors anyhow"

*asks for advice of random strangers on the internet instead*

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
You need to eat more. Forget protein powder, eat more steak or whatever other protein source you can fit into your diet. I suggest cooking up like 5lbs of steak at a time and eating 4-8oz every meal in addition to whatever else you're eating. If you're low energy eat more carbs.

You weigh 130 at 6' you can stand to eat waaay more.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

redeyes posted:

Couple eggs and hams for breakfast, or oatmeal. Maybe some fruit shake. A burrito or sandwich for lunch, with chips or whatever, sometimes fruit. Usually some normal dinner, whatever. Then I snack all night.

Go to YLLS, and give more detail than this. This is not helping. I guarantee you your idea of 'snack all night' is different from mine. I can easily eat 3-4k kcal in an evening by snacking (but don't, anymore). In my experience people who can eat 'whatever they want' and not gain weight think that a few crackers with cheese is a hearty breakfast and that munching over half a bowl of chips over the course of an evening is pigging out.

Track calories in detail for a week and see where your weak spots are.

Jun 27, 2002

Carrion Fairy
pick a powerlifting routine. any will do as long as it's a powerlifting routine and you stick to it.

then eat 5000kcal a day. you do this by eating three warm meals a day and finding novel ways of turning peanut butter into something drinkable, possibly by involving ice cream.

you will no longer be skinny.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Fuckit, gonna post the Dave Tate video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBE9s8ZpU88

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

Instead of eating 2-3 eggs when you eat eggs, eat 6. I do. Eat bacon, it tastes good. I have found that eating parts of obese animals helps me move close to that body type. My breakfast is generally around 1000-1200kCal. Mix honey and salt into peanut butter, and then eat a bunch of that because it tastes good. Eat even when you aren't hungry, like most Americans. Eat before you go to sleep, getting the itis from excessive food consumption makes for excellent sleep medicine in my experience. I am not huge(6'4" & 165lb), but I have gained and lost weight intentionally many times so I know how to do it. However, if you're okay looking how you do and it's only the doctor visits that bother you, I think you're probably fine. Gaining mass tends to shorten life span. If you're otherwise healthy, it's not really bad where you are. But if you really want to gain weight, you have to eat more. Eating is work, and you gotta work harder at it if you want to get bigger.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

redeyes posted:

Any other suggestions in terms of calorie dense foods? Or should I just head over to that thread.

funkybottoms posted:

drink more beer.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
You should probably figure out how much you are eating now when you go by your hunger rather than just cramming 5000 calories down your pie hole. Everyone is bad at self-reporting. Skinny people overestimate, fat people underestimate.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
Yeah doing some weightlifting is a great idea but you basically need to eat more. You can argue that you eat "enough" all you want but the fact is, the amount you eat now clearly gets you to the weight you are now. If you want to weigh more than that, eat more than that.

Concrete advice: spend the next week/2 weeks keeping track of everything you eat. Literally carry a notebook around and write down what you eat each day. Sounds spergy and over the top but actually do it honestly.

Then you could show that to a nutritionist/one of the nutrition threads around here. Or, just add like 500 calories a day. Carry on keeping track for a couple of weeks to make sure you're actually adding that on top of what you were eating before.

There's loads of good calorie dense foods. Make big casseroles and eat them through the week. Peanut butter. Protein shakes. But the most important point is that to make a significant change in your weight you have to make a significant change in your habit. So first keep track of what you're doing at the moment, then change it. ^^^Yeah, people are bad at self-report. You are in the habit of eating however much you eat at the moment. If you don't approach this in a structured way you'll revert to your current habits - have a protein shake, feel full, skip a snack you'd normally have and not actually end up increasing calorie input (while convinced that doctors are idiots, you have protein shakes and everything, it's clearly just impossible to put on weight)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Here you go

https://youtu.be/Tn8f4y6N6lk

SplitScreenGamer
Feb 16, 2017

Bringing back the fun of local multiplayer gaming!
Frankly a quick way to gain fat is to increase your carb intake. That with some healthy fats and proteins should give you an increased weight. If you want that weight to be healthy in the long run, work out and convert it to muscle.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
ugh internet im TOO thin can any goons help me not be thin? I swear im eating SO MUCH fruit bnut the pounds just dont happen!

hey idiot, eat a bunch of donuts and chips and poo poo, goons have been proving this method successful for 15 years

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cheese is your friend here if you can stomach it, calorie-dense and has a decent amount of protein usually.

Also remember that you only need about 1g of protein per lb of body weight, so for you you'd be wanting like 130-160g a day which is easy to hit even without protein powder. After that feel free to supplement with some crap, just don't overdo it. Hit up the ranch dressing or whatever if you need to. Gaining weight is a lot more fun than losing it, and you don't need to just choke down chicken breast, broccoli, and greek yogurt in unpalatable quantities.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Yes, something I am an expert in.

First, stop excercising. Just stop. Sit in a chair all day and work on spreadsheets for a job you hate and frequently work past 11pm.

Second, eat terrible food. Make buffalo wings a routine part of your diet. Consider putting more lard in your food. Go back for seconds and thirds. Always fill then clean your plate.

Third, make Fast Food a regular part of your lunch routine.

Fourth, dabble in alcoholism. Alcohol can really help put on those pounds.

Fifth, consider growing a deep seated hatred for yourself and consider extenstial fears that your life doesn't matter objectively. That ought to create proper amounts of stress eating.

Lastly, don't do any of the above. For God's sake, don't.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

redeyes posted:

Doctors freak the gently caress out when they weigh me, so much so that I hate going. loving same BS, OMG YOU MIGHT DIE, BMI index said you are going to die.

If you are really 6 feet tall and 130 pounds then your BMI is 17.6 and that is actual "you are going to die" numbers and not just mean doctors being mean about your good health or something.

17.5 is the point you are diagnosed with an eating disorder regardless of mental state because you have eaten so little you will definitely die of starvation.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Track calories. Find out how much you're eating. Increase how much you're eating by 100-200 kcal per day per week. If you're eating 2100, eat 2300 per day for a week, and then next week kick it up a bit more. Until the scale starts moving up or you eat an uncomfortable amount. Depending on your activity level, your TDEE could be pretty drat high. Suddenly jumping into some extreme is probably a bad idea because your body isn't used to it. You want to gain weight fairly slowly, something like no more than 4lbs per month if you start lifting.

If you have no negative health indicators you might have a small bone structure or something for your height. That's fine, but you could still gain a bit of weight and look decent. While your BMI might be alarming, it's somewhat unlikely you're wasting away given your activity level and how long you've been at that weight. BMI assumes average structure, and people on either extreme are going to be misled by it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 23, 2017

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Covok posted:

Yes, something I am an expert in.

First, stop excercising. Just stop. Sit in a chair all day and work on spreadsheets for a job you hate and frequently work past 11pm.

Second, eat terrible food. Make buffalo wings a routine part of your diet. Consider putting more lard in your food. Go back for seconds and thirds. Always fill then clean your plate.

Third, make Fast Food a regular part of your lunch routine.

Fourth, dabble in alcoholism. Alcohol can really help put on those pounds.

Fifth, consider growing a deep seated hatred for yourself and consider extenstial fears that your life doesn't matter objectively. That ought to create proper amounts of stress eating.

Lastly, don't do any of the above. For God's sake, don't.

The only thing you missed is to always be snacking on something calorie dense.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If you are really 6 feet tall and 130 pounds then your BMI is 17.6 and that is actual "you are going to die" numbers and not just mean doctors being mean about your good health or something.

17.5 is the point you are diagnosed with an eating disorder regardless of mental state because you have eaten so little you will definitely die of starvation.

I was this weight for a over a decade and none of the 3 or so doctors I saw during this time brought up my weight or diet at all.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
eat salami and lift weights

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I know a girl who was underweight so she started eating lots more and now she's dieting because too much weight went on. Don't gently caress with your body's metabolism.

You should probably figure out if there is a reason for you being super-skinny like make sure you don't have Marfan's syndrome or something like that. See some sort of specialist in metabolism not your random family doctor.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Whatever you do, don't lift weights unless you also increase your eating a whoole bunch to compensate, because lifting burns a ton of calories. Some years back I was really into lifting and dropped from 165lb to 140lb despite using a bunch of protein shakes.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I also have a super hard time putting on weight. If I don't do anything/am lazy and don't watch my eating, I get skinny. I also work in a kitchen and pretty much speed walk for 12 hours/ day, and while I'm surrounded by food, it's a lot more little tastes here and there to make sure the food is correct than gorging all day. It's something I really need to pay attention to.

This is a great intro to lifting routine. I used to powerlift in college, then took about a 10 year weed and beer hiatus, so while there was some muscle memory, I was essentially starting from scratch. The first month I gained about 10lbs, and much more after. It's a super simple routine, 3 days per week, five exercises per day. But it's all compound exercises that work multiple groups in your body at once. That way you have maximum muscle exertion with minimal burning of calories. There are other links in there for more advanced workouts if you keep at it and like the style, but that beginner routine will work great for a while.

But the really, really important thing is to eat a lot. Working out converts protein to muscle mass, and uses carbs for energy. If you don't have enough protein, your body can't make muscle. If you don't have enough carbs, your body will burn protein for calories and not for making muscle.

Peanut butter, milk, oatmeal, pasta, rice, chicken, beef, eggs. Load the gently caress up on them. Of course, try to eat clean, even if you are gaining weight on whoppers, it'll be more fat than lean gains, plus all of the other health consequences. I'm pretty well versed in this area for myself, from old habits, but not enough to really be giving diet advice aside from "eat lots and lots of clean calories if you want to gain weight in a good way" A protein supplement isn't a bad idea, as long as it's actually used to supplement the protein you are getting from real food. I drink 2 scoops of vanilla protein with orange Gatorade (mmm creamsicle) before working out, so there is protein in my system and simple carbs for my body to burn instead of the protein, and 2 scoops of protein in a big glass of milk before bed (milk protein burns slowly) so that my body is "fed" all night. Aside from that, it's real food.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

redeyes posted:

I was kind of in your situation, but not quite as much (6 feet, 140 lbs). I biked a lot, didn't have a car, and simply burned a lot of calories and never got bigger.

At 33 I started to go to the gym. For the first year, I went to the gym three times every week. As for diet, I kept it pretty similar to before, but I added a big protein shake every evening. After that year was over, I had gained weight for the first time since I was a teenager, about 25 lbs in muscles.

So yes, I think you're just eating normally, which keeps you at steady weight. The trick is to force yourself to eat more, even if you are not that hungry, and downing a big protein shake every evening before bed is a good way to make it a simple habit, rather than calculating your meals carefully. You say that you are not ok with milk, but there are various non-dairy alternatives out there, even if they won't be as caloric dense. But bottom line is: you just need to eat far more than you think you need when you want to gain weight. Trust me, I've been there.

Another thing that helped me: eating two breakfasts. I ate one breakfast at home, before going to work. Then at 9.30 or so I'd microwave a big-rear end bowl of oatmeal. 2 dl oatmeal + 4 dl water, 2 minutes or so, Bob's your uncle. Just cram that down your face every morning, helps you get those extra calories without getting too much sugar and poo poo.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 1, 2017

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
The folks who have said to track what you currently eat and get an idea of how many calories you're actually consuming are on the right track. You don’t need to carry a notebook around with you all day, though - there's free calorie-tracking apps that will let you input your whole day and tell you how much the food adds up to.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Fellow skeleton posting to say that the suggestions for a weight-lifting regimen are indeed the best way to gain weight. An unhealthy lifestyle and complete disregard for diet never worked, but lifting did.

Calorie counting and supplements aren't necessary so long as you do increase your intake a bunch. You will need to nerd out with all that stuff if you want to take the weight lifting to the next level though.

Also cardio is great but too much running and bicycling is going to burn all those extra calories, especially if you already have a freaky metabolism.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Consult your physician, lift weight, eat protein. In that order.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Consult your protein, lift your physician, eat weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Liquid Communism posted:

Consult your physician, lift weight, eat protein. In that order.

This seems so simple and easy yet here we are.

• Locked thread