Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I also have a super hard time putting on weight. If I don't do anything/am lazy and don't watch my eating, I get skinny. I also work in a kitchen and pretty much speed walk for 12 hours/ day, and while I'm surrounded by food, it's a lot more little tastes here and there to make sure the food is correct than gorging all day. It's something I really need to pay attention to.

This is a great intro to lifting routine. I used to powerlift in college, then took about a 10 year weed and beer hiatus, so while there was some muscle memory, I was essentially starting from scratch. The first month I gained about 10lbs, and much more after. It's a super simple routine, 3 days per week, five exercises per day. But it's all compound exercises that work multiple groups in your body at once. That way you have maximum muscle exertion with minimal burning of calories. There are other links in there for more advanced workouts if you keep at it and like the style, but that beginner routine will work great for a while.

But the really, really important thing is to eat a lot. Working out converts protein to muscle mass, and uses carbs for energy. If you don't have enough protein, your body can't make muscle. If you don't have enough carbs, your body will burn protein for calories and not for making muscle.

Peanut butter, milk, oatmeal, pasta, rice, chicken, beef, eggs. Load the gently caress up on them. Of course, try to eat clean, even if you are gaining weight on whoppers, it'll be more fat than lean gains, plus all of the other health consequences. I'm pretty well versed in this area for myself, from old habits, but not enough to really be giving diet advice aside from "eat lots and lots of clean calories if you want to gain weight in a good way" A protein supplement isn't a bad idea, as long as it's actually used to supplement the protein you are getting from real food. I drink 2 scoops of vanilla protein with orange Gatorade (mmm creamsicle) before working out, so there is protein in my system and simple carbs for my body to burn instead of the protein, and 2 scoops of protein in a big glass of milk before bed (milk protein burns slowly) so that my body is "fed" all night. Aside from that, it's real food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread