Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

like a cigarette should posted:

Antifa just showed up and are throwing bricks and molotovs at the dam to protest trump

Throwing bricks at a break in an overtopped dam isn't the worst response in the world all things considered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Human Crouton posted:

Hurry, Californians! Protest that dam!

gently caress you, dumbass

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Space Crabs posted:

I think that's a matter of semantics at that point.

If the emergency spillway fails then the lake will just drain out that entire hillside and the dam itself will effectively be useless as the water will have a different outlet. It kinda doesn't matter if technically the portion labelled "Dam" hasn't breached at that point.

If the spillway breaches, you only lose the top 30ft ( think that's the number they mentioned) of water, which - don't get me wrong - is still a wall of water coming downstream, but the dam will still hold the majority.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Spaced God posted:

What the gently caress kind of units of measurement are acre feet? Is that volume? Why is Imperial so hard :psyduck:

1 acre-foot of water is a sufficient volume of water to cover an acre of land in a foot of water. as a rule of thumb, this is enough water for a family for a year. in metric it's something like 1200 cubic meters

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Serak posted:

If the spillway breaches, you only lose the top 30ft ( think that's the number they mentioned) of water, which - don't get me wrong - is still a wall of water coming downstream, but the dam will still hold the majority.

It's the difference between 30 feet and 900.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Looking forward to see the guy managing the dam to retire with a six digit pension plan.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
This is loving lame, I came here to see a dam break not some stupid spillway

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Quick everyone water your lawns

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
wheres the stream??

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Space Crabs posted:

If the emergency spillway fails then the lake will just drain out that entire hillside and the dam itself will effectively be useless as the water will have a different outlet. It kinda doesn't matter if technically the portion labelled "Dam" hasn't breached at that point.

eventually the dirt on the emergency spillway will erode to bedrock, at which point the lake stops flowing out. which is still a shitload of water and this is going to be a huge flood problem but the emergency spillway is the release valve which prevents the whole dam from breaking. so it's better to have a medium size flood than lose the entire lake

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Throwing bricks at a break in an overtopped dam isn't the worst response in the world all things considered

Good metaphor for the election

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

succ posted:

wheres the stream??

Sacramento

edit: oh you're serious http://www.kcra.com/nowcast

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Space Crabs posted:

The difference is that hill is rock underneath and the dam is 100% dirt.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

succ posted:

wheres the stream??

Stream on this page:

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/02/california-town-evacuated-as-officials-warn-of-flash-flood-from-imminent-dam-collapse/

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Serak posted:

at least erosion plays by the "30 feet at a time" rule, which is fortunate for everyone.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
I'm already bored, god California is such s shithole

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good
dam son

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

exploded mummy posted:

It's the difference between 30 feet and 900.

True, but the top 30 ft would be over a MUCH bigger surface area than even the 30 below it, so volume-wise it's not easy to judge

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

The difference is that hill is rock underneath and the dam is 100% dirt.

it's got a concrete core actually

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Can California farmers use up all the water by planting an emergency pecan crop?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Space Crabs posted:

at least erosion plays by the "30 feet at a time" rule, which is fortunate for everyone.

30 feet under the top of where the emergency spillway was is bedrock, which won't erode as quickly as dirt and clay. the problem is the emergency spillway is eroding faster than they thought. it will slow down eventually

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

happyhippy posted:

Looking forward to see the guy managing the dam to retire with a six digit pension plan.

It ain't that guy's fault the state wouldn't pony up for maintenance.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Remember, no relief funds unless its paid for by a tax break!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Can California farmers use up all the water by planting an emergency pecan crop?

The good news is that the flood area is mostly pecan and almond orchards already.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Platystemon posted:

The good news is that the flood area is mostly pecan and almond orchards already.

lol they wanted all the water, they're gonna get all the water.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

exploded mummy posted:

it's got a concrete core actually

Not enough to maintain structural integrity if the dirt were washed away.

The hillside will hold up fine without its dirt covering.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
When the dam breaks I'll have no place to stay

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
CONGRESS CREATED FLASH FLOOD

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/imwiththoughts/status/830976286843617285

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
thank god we have so many experts on the geological composition of the landscape in and around this particular dam who are also psychics that can predict exactly what will happen

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Lol I grew up in that area and it is solidly red.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I wanna see the ground give way, Mom please flush it all away

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
its gone, guys

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

CONGRESS CREATED FLASH FLOOD

LOL just LMAO if you don't believe that the GOP funded poo poo dams in specific locations to piss off environmentalists on the surface, secretly hoping they'd fail and wash away liberalism like a biblical flood.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Space Crabs posted:

thank god we have so many experts on the geological composition of the landscape in and around this particular dam who are also psychics that can predict exactly what will happen

Thank god that the interaction of water, soil and concrete is an arcane mystery about which we cannot even speculate & only The Lord himself knows the truth!

Or maybe we're all just listening to the experts talk.

Serak fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 13, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Space Crabs posted:

dont get mad bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
hey armchair dam experts, this isn't a saltwater dam

• Locked thread