Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

School Nickname posted:

LOL just LMAO if you don't believe that the GOP funded poo poo dams in specific locations to piss off environmentalists on the surface, secretly hoping they'd fail and wash away liberalism like a biblical flood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh gently caress - this person drove the wrong way

https://twitter.com/Drampa_/status/830952704964915200

https://twitter.com/Drampa_/status/830965958625816577

https://twitter.com/Drampa_/status/830977210488008705

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
i'm the spaces in the web address

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
rip

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Chinatown posted:

its gone, guys

What did I tell ya, Jake? All the water...

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dam couldn't hold all those liberal tears lmo

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Its a false flag Jade Helm 2.0 government action!
There, I think we covered all bases on the reason now.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/eecavazos/status/830975994026528768

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Space Crabs posted:

hey armchair dam experts, this isn't a saltwater dam

so if the dam goes then it means i might get some of you posting cool new pictures in my mushroom megathread in the take a hike forum?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What the gently caress

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

On the one hand, I don't want anyone to die or get hurt or even have their lives disrupted.

On the other, I want to see 12 cubic miles of water shoot off a mountain and bring forth a photogenic wave of destruction.

Maybe the dam can fail, then Superman can fly around the earth backward to fix it and we get to enjoy both...

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

kind of lazy and irresponsible for media to report this as a dam failure when it is spillway

too bad media gets its news from Twitter now

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
Vincent van Gostse all about Sac "No Big Loss" Ramento

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

kind of lazy and irresponsible for media to report this as a dam failure when it is spillway

I think the spillway going and releasing the top thirty feet of the reservoir counts as a dam failure in general conversation.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
One of my friends lives 5 miles southwest of the spillway. She's not in town right now which is good.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Random Stranger posted:

I think the spillway going and releasing the top thirty feet of the reservoir counts as a dam failure in general conversation.

oh

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Random Stranger posted:

not really, this is a bad thing that is happening that if we're lucky will result in just a bunch of flood damage but no deaths

but the emergency spillway is the last ditch thing to stop the dam from breaking so it's working as intended

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

too bad media gets its news from Twitter now

It's really not - if the spillway fails, there's still gonna be enough water heading downstream to kill a whole lot of people if they don't evacuate.
If they start claiming that 'only' the spillway might fail but the dam will be OK , there are certain to be people who ignore the warning

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

EugeneJ posted:

What the gently caress

Man, who'd have thought that r/Conspiracy would be full of conspiracy theories?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I want this to be like that bridge detonation video where they cut away the second it blew up and it cut back to the news anchor eating a sheet of paper.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Random Stranger posted:

When people say "tallest dam in the US about to be breached" that kinda gives the impression of the big wall, not the small flood control wall

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Das Boo posted:

I want this to be like that bridge detonation video where they cut away the second it blew up and it cut back to the news anchor eating a sheet of paper.

If the news station buildings are in the path of water, I wonder how long they'd stay on the air before fleeing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Serak posted:

It's really not - if the spillway fails, there's still gonna be enough water heading downstream to kill a whole lot of people if they don't evacuate.
If they start claiming that 'only' the spillway might fail but the dam will be OK , there are certain to be people who ignore the warning

If the spillway fails, thousands of homes are flooded.

If the dam fails, the state capital gets washed away.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Family lives in Yuba City and they went north to just outside the Butte Mountains.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Finish watching basketball...escape death...hmm

https://twitter.com/kim_michelle/status/830981745214251008

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Yeah, if the actual dam went, casualties could be in the hundreds of thousands or more, that fucker's earthen and when they go, they go FAST. This spillway deal is bad, but nothing even close to what a drat failure could cause.

Speaking of Oroville Dam, all this talk of spillways makes everyone forget that the idiots in 1968 built it directly over an active earthquake fault. If the rain doesn't do it, the ground will, someday.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Platystemon posted:

If the spillway fails, thousands of homes are flooded.

Depending on how the spillway collapses, homes aren't going to be flooded. They're going to be flattened.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

succ posted:

Family lives in Yuba City and they went north to just outside the Butte Mountains.

:lol:

e: I hope they're safe god bless

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

EugeneJ posted:

Finish watching basketball...escape death...hmm

Watch the basketball. The sports book ain't gonna refund your money if you die

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Just to give a sense of scale:

In 1889, the South Fork Dam failed releasing 50 million tons of water and utterly destroying the city of Johnstown, PA. If this spillway goes, it's releasing about 50 billion tons of water.

It might only be the top thirty feet but the reservoir is huge.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 13, 2017

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
The dam just failed

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Random Stranger posted:

Just to give a sense of scalet:

In 1889, the South Fork Dam failed releasing 50 million tons of water and utterly destroying the city of Jonestown, PA.

Places named Jonestown don't have a good history with liquid, do they

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

Places named Jonestown don't have a good history with liquid, do they

Flavor-aide made me typo.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope the whole hillside goes and the entire dam falls apart and everything down the river is obliterated for the glory of Satan.

Snotty By Nature
Sep 11, 2007

succ posted:

Welcome to Sutter. :frogout:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

I hope the whole hillside goes and the entire dam falls apart and everything down the river is obliterated for the glory of Satan.

I don't and you're a bad person if this is a serious post.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
#DeepThoughts

https://twitter.com/Laurenthewriter/status/830986330247008264

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I hope the spillway holds and only minor flooding happens, giving everyone masturbating to the flood a giant case of blue balls.

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

he's not wrong about the evacuations tho