Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

On the one hand, I don't want anyone to die or get hurt or even have their lives disrupted.

On the other, I want to see 12 cubic miles of water shoot off a mountain and bring forth a photogenic wave of destruction.

Maybe the dam can fail, then Superman can fly around the earth backward to fix it and we get to enjoy both...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

kind of lazy and irresponsible for media to report this as a dam failure when it is spillway

I think the spillway going and releasing the top thirty feet of the reservoir counts as a dam failure in general conversation.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Platystemon posted:

If the spillway fails, thousands of homes are flooded.

Depending on how the spillway collapses, homes aren't going to be flooded. They're going to be flattened.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Just to give a sense of scale:

In 1889, the South Fork Dam failed releasing 50 million tons of water and utterly destroying the city of Johnstown, PA. If this spillway goes, it's releasing about 50 billion tons of water.

It might only be the top thirty feet but the reservoir is huge.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 13, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

Places named Jonestown don't have a good history with liquid, do they

Flavor-aide made me typo.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Psycho Society posted:

imo the best plan right now is to fix the main spillway while water ingress is low with an rear end-ton of concrete. Turn that poo poo up to 11 to protect the top 30 feet of the emergency letoff from crumbling and smashing the town.

I don't know if they've got enough time for that. They essentially have two days to do this, in pretty bad ground conditions. I don't even know if the concrete they'd need would set in that time frame, let alone be solid enough to hold together (IANA civil engineer).

There's a real issue of these spillways being undermined and that hasn't gone away even though the water isn't going over them in massive quantities anymore.

They've gone from "It could go at any minute!" last night to "It could go really soon!" today. It'll probably be months before the spillways are actually safe again, though if they don't get hit by more rain after the next set of storms coming through then I'd expect them to be able to keep the level low enough until it's fixed that a failure won't be an immediate problem.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Toadvine posted:

Curse this puny lifespan. I seriously hope I die with unfinished business so I can continue witnessing Earth as a 21st Century Ghost

Perhaps the singularity will arrive and your glorious cyberspace form can laugh at the suffering of meatspace.

Until the dam that supplies power for your system collapses, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

twit666 posted:

When can we start looting?

Last night according to the news. Sorry, they've already gotten all the Long John Silvers. You snooze, you lose.

• Locked thread