Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
One of my friends lives 5 miles southwest of the spillway. She's not in town right now which is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Sac will be fine, oroville though is for sure gonna get a little swampy

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Good

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
My friend's house is gonna be under like 100 feet of water. Or more likely it's gonna be splinters in a mud bank off the sacramento. sucks.

And apparently people are looting in oroville

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
If you're still in oroville and not physically hiking your rear end up to table mountain just lmao

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
It sucks if you're disabled or something and don't have a car. Like what the hell do you then. Cops and poo poo better be shuttling people up hills. Make yourself useful for once

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
The outflow is 3x the inflow right so, so I'm guessing if they lowered the outflow to prevent erosion it would seriously gently caress something up even worse

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Hell if some cute girl needs me to come pick them up I'm down, I have 6 cylinders of gently caress you to any tsunami that wants to gently caress with me.

Edit: or dogs

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Press conferences delayed to 10 lmao

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Apparently they're closing lots of roads north for some reason. Wtf. You need to drive like 2 miles north to get out of the flood zone.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Reporter chilling at the fish hatchery like a couple miles from the dam. Balls.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
The emergency spillway is allegedly level with the water at 900 feet, so spillover has stopped.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
It still has a shitload of pressure pushing on it from the inside, so there's probably still a chance, but it's not being eroded from the top anymore.

If it falls a bit more they can start to repair it. They have about a week until a new storm comes in and wrecks poo poo.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Suuuure. So many people are going to be homeless, drat.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Platystemon posted:

It would be so insulting to get run over by one of these.

This is the only bus that runs from sacramento international airport to downtown.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Every 200 or so winters california gets something called a "megaflood" which through rainfall alone are perfectly capable of flooding nearly all the entire central valley including Sacramento. This isn't one of those.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
The sheriff just said that about 180,000 people are under evacuation from the region. drat

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Lime Tonics posted:

As it stands now, the estimates to fix it are between 100~300 million dollars, for new spillways and whatnot. If it gets worse, who knows.

So less than one F-35? sweet

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I like how they're like "hey our main spillway has a hole in it"

"ok, open the emergency spillway"

*bit later*

"hey that has a hole in it too"

"ok nvm"

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
There's a gas station on 99 by 2nd street that sells real good fried chicken and I'm glad they can continue to do so

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Imagine your bowels after getting lysteria from a reheated fish taco at long john silver's, that's how evacuated that town is right now

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
imo the best plan right now is to fix the main spillway while water ingress is low with an rear end-ton of concrete. Turn that poo poo up to 11 to protect the top 30 feet of the emergency letoff from crumbling and smashing the town.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Even so, war ravaged Iraq is still able to maintain their dams better than norcal bumpkins. lmao

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
What's the main drawback of using the primary spillway? How much erosion would it it take it compromise the integrity of the dam proper? It definitely seems like the best idea given any use of the emergency spillway could result in 30 feet of lake oroville to come pouring out with a vengeance

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
If the damaged main spillway is no danger of undermining the dam, we'll just use that then. We haven't had to use the emergency spillway in a hundred years so careful management of water levels *should* give us time to fix everything we need. As long as it doesn't rain too much.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Almonds use jillions of water so let's just plant some ammonds on the banks of the river upstream. Looks like this problem is solved you boys can go home

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

boner confessor posted:

the water is mexicans, the emergency spillway is trump's wall

What's oroville then?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Katosabi posted:

So I went to the fairgrounds in Chico (the city north of Oroville where everyone was told to go) this morning, it was surprisingly calm and actually felt like less traffic than normal around that area. The fairgrounds were almost full and had some people camping, and all the hotels I saw were packed. Caltrans had a single sign pickup on the highway saying where the road was closed. We also heard helicopters every hour or so last night headed south.

This is exactly what will happen when the ruskies invade

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Yuba city isn't a town. It's not. Sorry

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

one of largest economies in us, can't afford to maintain their damns

San Francisco by itself produces more GDP than most nations.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
This was the lake in 2015

A lot of people said that after el nino were supposed to get a drier winter afterwards as well. I'm not sure why that didn't happen though.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Nah we make more food than any other state

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

I agrre Moridin! We shouldn't give those wellfare queens states any of our hard earned money!

This but unironically because those states consistently vote to gently caress over anyone who would benefit from greater access to healthcare or education

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Paradise has fires though

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I'm not so sure lifting the evacuation is a good idea.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I want to know where exactly the hole in the emergency spillway is. Like, is it on top, or on the side, because it probably determines what a safe water level is in the reservoir. Also I'm getting pretty tired of saying the word 'spillway'

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Oh on the leeward side of the spillway? That's not so bad then. The top 30 feet that's compromised won't fail unless the reservoir gets above 902 feet. So there will be enough warning for everyone to get out.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Dongattack posted:

I propose that if this dam never breaks, we kill the OP.

:fuckoff:

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
You are a tedious bitch of a disaster tourist. Please gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I'm not convinced kansas is an actual place so I have no feelings about it one way or another tbh

• Locked thread