Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There aren't any nuclear plants near the danger zone of this flood, are there? Gettin' Fukushima flashbacks up in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FrozenVent posted:

Enough water to cover an acre of land with a foot of water. It... Sorts of makes sense in agriculture I guess?

I think we keep the acre foot in use because it's a good estimate of the average annual water consumption of 1 person.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope the whole hillside goes and the entire dam falls apart and everything down the river is obliterated for the glory of Satan.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't and you're a bad person if this is a serious post.

There were a lot of great photos of chaos and suffering from Hurricane Sandy hitting NYC, and the tsunami that hit Japan. This would be close to that level. What can I say, Satan knows what I like.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Headline updates are saying they expect the spillway to fail.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

even though the counties that are flooding all went for Trump lol

Logic won't stand in their penis' way.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZlDZPYzfm4

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Psycho Society posted:

My friend's house is gonna be under like 100 feet of water. Or more likely it's gonna be splinters in a mud bank off the sacramento. sucks.

And apparently people are looting in oroville

They're going to drown with a new TV, god dammit. If they surf a bigscreen to safety, they've earned it.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The 24 hour Long John Silver's has closed.

Chaos reigns.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Node posted:

24 hour Long John Silver's? what the gently caress?????

He might have said McDonald's.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Episcopal is pronounced eh-PISS-kuh-pull, right?

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait a sec

They're pouring 100,000 cf/s down this busted rear end spillway. Could it break down the hill around it, and lead to further dam failure?

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Space Crabs posted:

the goon geology council has spoken, the hill has rocks in it everythings fine

I'm already lusting for the before/after pictures.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

wow thank god you were here to inform us of this obscure fact

I appreciated that fact, gently caress you man. Be nice, you cocksucker.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blind Rasputin posted:

Does that mean we are out of the woods and the spillway won't fail?

It will fail later this week after it rains some more, and a bunch of people have gone back to their homes. Satan will let the dam's collapse wait for better lighting.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think they had closed the normal spillway to try and fix it and then left it closed for too long, so instead of just a little trickle coming over the emergency hill they got a major overflow.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Blame the JewsMexicans

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ork of Fiction posted:

After midnight, so they say.

Wednesday Night 100 % Precip. / 1.35 in
Cloudy with heavy rain developing after midnight. Low 52F. Winds SE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 100%. 1 to 2 inches of rain expected.

Thursday 100 % Precip. / 0.84 in
Rain. High 54F. Winds SSE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 100%. Rainfall may reach one inch. Localized flooding is possible.

Thursday Night 70 % Precip. / 0.07 in
A steady light rain early...then remaining cloudy with a few showers. Low 48F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

etc.

An erection lasting longer than 4 hours means go to the hospital or your wiener will fall off, right?

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

A bunch of signs around Austin that say "This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here."

Those aren't going to work until they get the monolithic spikes erected, but the NIMBY's have already started digging in their heels on them as far out as Round Rock.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who cares exactly who does the dying and who the gently caress cares how much they deserved it

I just want blood and death

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

duTrieux. posted:

I live near a freeway and whenever it starts to rain there's a screech/crash combo within a half of an hour.

My favorite thus far has been the long screech followed by multiple crash sounds and then a single sustained horn honk.

You lucky son of a bitch

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone died from this dam water yet

Will someone probably die from this dam water soon or should I start looking for a different wellspring of human suffering to whack it to

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dang it

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chinatown posted:

Oroville: lol.

The rain at Oroville isn't as important as the rain over the area that drains into the reservoir. There's always still hope for rapid snowmelt wiping the dam out come spring, as well.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

naem posted:

I like how at the first sign of the Bay Area everyone gets out their ™®™®©®™ ™

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well I guess this is cool that the people working on all this have their poo poo together well enough that they averted a disaster, and now they've got things under control. It's good to see government workers that are good at their job.

I was really jonesing for California's Katrina, though. :sigh:

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Space Crabs posted:

Yeah I didn't believe them at the press conference when they said the main spillway had eroded as much as it was going to and wouldn't suffer further damage from turning the water up.

It's pretty much destroyed now and they managed to clog up the river which has kept the dam's power plant from working. They did manage to drop the lake by 50 feet though so it should be fine unless those storms are ridiculous.

I really doubt that thin layer of concrete they sprayed everywhere will actually help anything.

Well that doesn't look like the spillway itself suffered further damage. The hill next to it just fell apart to the point that the first 50,000 cfs go that way. Maybe the hill will keep falling apart all the way to the dam itself and the waters of chaos will spill forth and the gloRY OF SATAN WILL BE KNOWN TO ALL! HAIL SATAN! HAIL SATAN!

But yeah the actual concrete of the main spillway doesn't seem to have changed, as far as I can see.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Space Crabs posted:

i thought "the hope" was that there wouldn't be a disaster?

Not on the internet, it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Javid posted:

For comparison, this:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/03/us/seattle-seahawks-earthquake/

qualifies as a 1.x magnitude seismic event

They have to tell crowds at stadiums to only clap along to We Will Rock You, because if they stomp it could be dangerous.

• Locked thread