Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Yeah, if the actual dam went, casualties could be in the hundreds of thousands or more, that fucker's earthen and when they go, they go FAST. This spillway deal is bad, but nothing even close to what a drat failure could cause.

Speaking of Oroville Dam, all this talk of spillways makes everyone forget that the idiots in 1968 built it directly over an active earthquake fault. If the rain doesn't do it, the ground will, someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

PyPy posted:

So what is the deal with this dam? Has their been too much rain and it is overflowing? Or is the dam just broken?

Both, actually. The main spillway was ID'd many years ago as being susceptible to breakage under heavy water discharges, but dam officials handwaved the possible danger away because heavy outflows are rare. Same basic thing with the auxiliary spillway, it's never been used and the people in charge figured it never would be. It's just a concrete cap over a hilltop.

But in fairness, the reservoir was a giant brown hole with a piss-trickle of water in it as recently as 18 months ago, legions of climatologists, hydrologists, etc claimed it would take years to refill after this drought, etc. etc.

Personally, I knew it was all bullshit because I'm old and remember the 1976-1980 drought very well(my family had a well that went dry and I spent two years showering with buckets of cold water), and the 'experts' said the same inane poo poo. Cue the monster winter of '81-82, and magically all reservoirs filled up.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it, yadda yadda yadda.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Space Crabs posted:

are the rocks they are dumping in the spillway locally sourced artisan rocks?

I think rocks are naturally gluten free so they are covered there.

If you'd ever been to Oroville you'd know they were crack/meth rocks, duh. The part of California that the dam's located at is 'utter redneck trash, Ca', not 'hipster tech douchebag, Ca'.

• Locked thread