Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Round 3 is finished!

The result:

PAPER SMOTHERS PAPER! IT IS A TIE!

Current score: 1-0 in favour of Team Left, three points left to win.

Previous moves:

L: PRP-
R: RRP-

Round four begins now! Rock, paper or scissors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

(this is also a check to see if vote-changing is permitted.)

I realised I didn't respond to this before: Vote changing is perfectly fine! How else could you be allowed to be swayed by the strong and well-thought-out arguments of your team mates?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Paper is the only choice. One could be tempted to think that they will assume we will use paper and so they take scissors. But they will likely think that we go with scissors to head off them following the pattern and going with paper. So they will vote for rock, which we will smother with paper.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Paper has failed us, as has rock. Scissors is all that's left.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Rock. It's the last thing they'd expect after they went Paper.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
So far Team Right's pattern is to change after ties to the thing that would have won their last match.

(yes, it's an exceedingly small sample size, shut up)

So if they follow this pattern they'll throw Scissors next so we should throw Rock.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
There hasn't been any scissors so far. They will fill that void.
Rock!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

So far Team Right's pattern is to change after ties to the thing that would have won their last match.

(yes, it's an exceedingly small sample size, shut up)

So if they follow this pattern they'll throw Scissors next so we should throw Rock.

I agree with this
Rock

Also, this gives us a paper-rock-paper-rock run, so we can play rock again next round, smash their scissors and go up 3-0 :smug:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

oldskool posted:

I agree with this
Rock

Also, this gives us a paper-rock-paper-rock run, so we can play rock again next round, smash their scissors and go up 3-0 :smug:

This sounds smart. Scissors need to be the emergency weapon; we haven't gotten there yet.

Rock Rock Rock.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I'd argue scissors just to mix it up but it looks like we've a majority already

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
We're going with rock then?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Round 4 is finished!

The result:

ROCK GLARES SULLENLY AT ROCK! IT IS A TIE!

Current score: 1-0 in favour of Team Left, three points left to win.

Previous moves:

L: PRPR-
R: RRPR-

Round five begins now! Rock, paper or scissors?

I will probably let the next round drag on a while longer than the usual 24~hour schedule on account of the weekend, unless the votes come in quickly from both teams.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

oldskool posted:

a paper-rock-paper-rock run, so we can play rock again next round, smash their scissors and go up 3-0 2-0 :smith:

Rock

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Changing my vote to Rock.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 17, 2017

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Scissors. Time to try something new.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Scissors. It is indeed time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've decided to change my vote to Rock, and edited my post to reflect such. I have a sneaking suspicion that they're going to choose Scissors for the exact same reason we want to: trying something different. If we pick Rock, we can head them off at the pass!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
They're going to shift up if they shift, not down.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Rock
Scissors are scary foreign concepts. Everyone who uses them mus be punished.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Rock, then.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
looking forward to more double rock

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

chitoryu12 posted:

I've decided to change my vote to Rock, and edited my post to reflect such. I have a sneaking suspicion that they're going to choose Scissors for the exact same reason we want to: trying something different. If we pick Rock, we can head them off at the pass!

Good enough for me Rock on.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

It's time for scissors. They'll think they know our pattern, so it's time to break it.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Round 5 is finished!

The result:

ROCK BREAKS SCISSORS! TEAM LEFT SCORES!

Current score: 2-0 in favour of Team Left, two points left to win.

Previous moves:

L: PRPRR-
R: RRPRS-

Round six begins now! Rock, paper or scissors?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Haha! They flinched first!

Now I think we should give them a open handed Paper slap; because this will cause them to doubt their Scissors choice and go back to their old friend rock.

Ignore this post

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 21, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

Haha! They flinched first!

Now I think we should give them a open handed Paper slap; because this will cause them to doubt their Scissors choice and go back to their old friend rock.

Seconding this. Paper is the right move here.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Scissors. They will try to be cute with Paper to defeat our Rock. Because we've used Rock so often, they will probably think that we will use it again.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rock. They'll inevitably think that we want to throw Paper to defeat them and will throw Scissors again, but we need to think a move ahead at all times!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Paper! Press home our advantage whilst it still stings!

The pattern seems to be that they're overthinking this and going two moves ahead. Wrap up their rock and send it home for match point.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 20, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Papers please! Because of the reasons stated above.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
We thoroughly smashed those heretic scissors. This will teach them that scissors can't win. Now we will wrap their rock into the paper of shame.

This thread was a good idea Covski. But I wonder if I would have as much fun if we were losing. I can't wait to see the enemies battle record.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 20, 2017

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I don't know if it has much to do with the sociology involved, but maybe next round we can vote on glove colors or something? One team with a glove and one team without is just really bothering me for some reason.
One more for Rock
e: Next game. Vote for gloves next game I mean.

MercurialOne
Feb 28, 2016

chitoryu12 posted:

Rock. They'll inevitably think that we want to throw Paper to defeat them and will throw Scissors again, but we need to think a move ahead at all times!

I agree with Rock.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Paper
Show them no comfort in the safety of the stone, and challenge them to go back to the scissors that let them down just one round ago.

Seriously they've thrown more rocks than papers or scissors combined.
I honestly expect them to throw either paper or rock this round, so rock gives a loss/draw, scissors a win/loss, and paper the best odds with a draw/win.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Hey now, you're a rockstar, get your game of RPS on, go play.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

oldskool posted:

I honestly expect them to throw either paper or rock this round, so rock gives a loss/draw, scissors a win/loss, and paper the best odds with a draw/win.

Well so do we.
Good old rock is the best. Is what they think.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

chitoryu12 posted:

Actually this seems pretty good and when you look at the record so far

Team Right
RRPRS-

When they lost the first time they doubled down on Rock again. There's a fair chance they will do it again; or go back to rock. I highly doubt paper is their play because they seem really adverse to switching off of rock (so do we though).

If we pick Paper and they go to rock we win. If we pick Paper and they go to scissors though doubling down like they did last time we won, they will win. At least with Rock we will be either on a tie or win. That seems safer than a loss or win.

I think I will change my vote back to Rock to agree with my favorite MRE eating friendo.

oldskool posted:

Paper
Show them no comfort in the safety of the stone, and challenge them to go back to the scissors that let them down just one round ago.

I reckon they are super off paper till they get another win. TBH both of our game plans thus far have revolved around Rock so I'd keep betting on them going Rock/Scissors over suddenly swapping back to Paper.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 21, 2017

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Heads up team! With all votes in, you are tied between rock and paper. I'm hoping to update in a couple of hours or so, so it would be great if we could get a tiebreaker before then.

Torrannor, you are the only scissors vote. Make of that what you will.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Covski posted:

Heads up team! With all votes in, you are tied between rock and paper. I'm hoping to update in a couple of hours or so, so it would be great if we could get a tiebreaker before then.

Torrannor, you are the only scissors vote. Make of that what you will.

Then I'll go with our favorite move and change from scissors to rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Round 6 is finished!

The result:

ROCK BREAKS ANOTHER PAIR OF SCISSORS! TEAM LEFT SCORES!

Current score: 3-0 in favour of Team Left, one point left to win.

Previous moves:

L: PRPRRR-
R: RRPRSS-

Round seven begins now! Rock, paper or scissors?

• Locked thread