Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I propose that we decide on a strategy and keep following it till the end. Statistically, that gets us the best chance. (besides random picks)

My suggestion is a cumulative series of triadic numbers corresponding to the choices in canonical order with an intial value of 1 and 2.
The series would be. 1,2,3,6,12,24,48. Calculating the necessary modular and applying the implicit homomorphism yields the strategy

PSRRRRR

It's science!

Edit: In case we are only allowed to vote on this turn, I guess that means I am for Paper.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Elfface posted:

We should shake this paradigm up - go for a Pickaxe - smashes rocks, pierces papers, probably neutral against scissors.

It's from the expansion though, so we might not have it installed.

Back when I was on the school yard, I would sometimes play this game with well. Rock and Scissors fall in, paper lays on top and closes it up. In other words, that is a really stupid rule, since that thing is just strictly better than rock. Effectively no one would play rock, making well the new rock.
Those sentences sound so weird.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yay.
Scissors!
They saw how great our paper was and now they are going to imitate it.

This is surprisingly intense and fun.
I can't wait till it's over and I get to peek into the other threads.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 14, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
There hasn't been any scissors so far. They will fill that void.
Rock!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Rock
Scissors are scary foreign concepts. Everyone who uses them mus be punished.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
We thoroughly smashed those heretic scissors. This will teach them that scissors can't win. Now we will wrap their rock into the paper of shame.

This thread was a good idea Covski. But I wonder if I would have as much fun if we were losing. I can't wait to see the enemies battle record.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 20, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

oldskool posted:

Seriously they've thrown more rocks than papers or scissors combined.
I honestly expect them to throw either paper or rock this round, so rock gives a loss/draw, scissors a win/loss, and paper the best odds with a draw/win.

Well so do we.
Good old rock is the best. Is what they think.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yay. Good job on the tie breaker.

Throw another rock, just to mess with them. Scissors must never win.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 21, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Also, just saying, if we go scissors and they finally manage to pull out a win it will only solidify the "scissors is a loser move" thought in their heads. So they'll consider the game down to only rock and paper, throw paper, and then we can throw scissors for the win.
You don't only want to throw scissors, you want to throw scissors twice? You know who else did that? Team right!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Let's just stay at rock. They will flinch and turn back to scissors. I mean what kind of idiot would use rock five times in a row?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

I agree the pattern shows that when they lose the double down, when they tie they swap.

I'm just not sure if they will switch to paper to beat "Team Rock" as MercurialOne has suggested, or to scissors to anticipate a paper move.

Scissors have lost a lot for them recently though so maybe they are more inclined to do paper.

Scissors for us it is!

How would you describe our own pattern?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Frionnel posted:

See, Rock defended us again just like i said it would. But i see we haven't gone with scissors at all? It's time por scissors gets a time to shine.

Scissors

That's because Scissors are the devils tools and would have killed us here. They will be lured by those things.
Rock.

Actually, never mind that. The sissors seem really tempting.
Assuming round 4 was an outlier, they always repeat everything once. Paper would be next for them.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 23, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I have no clue what to do, but I don't want to abstain. So I am voting for whatever the next poster says. Congrats person, your vote is worth twice as much.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The way I see it, we should just stick with scissors till the end of the game.
Either we will win, due to some weird fluke, or we will scientifically prove that scissors is objectively the worst choice and should never be played by anyone.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 27, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah. Scissors is objectively the worst and will never win anything. Try to prove me wrong team right!
Paper

Hopefully they are stealing our brilliant tactic of throwing rock 5 times in a row.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
This is getting intense.
Stay at paper. We will stand our ground!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
What the gently caress Nine-Gear Crow? Why would you even do that? We had a lot of fun here and nobody decided to cheat so far. To you really need to win so much, that you come here and appeal to our sense of honesty or pride? Honestly it might work. Congratulations on that victory Crow, because I sure as hell wont switch from paper now.
Unless I can throw nine-gear-crow's blood

Covski posted:

[*]No peeking in the other team's thread or the observer thread! I know how much some of you like winning, but cheating at rock-paper-scissors would be a new low.
Good job reaching new limits, I guess.
I don't even know if I am legitimately annoyed about this. The game is on the match point and almost over.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Thanks for this administrative decision. But the points of that prisoners dilemma seem kinda off. Betray- Cooperate should end the game with 5-3, just to give an extra incentive. Right now it's basically just cooperate ~ "give the other team a point", betray ~"don't". So we only get to decide whether the other team wins, with no influence over our own fate.

That being said, unlike a certain someone we are decent people who can cooperate. And, assuming that that person doesn't get to vote, I assume our partners in this noble game will decide the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
It's been great fun and you made good arguments. Thanks guys.

• Locked thread