Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

To actually provide context to my vote, once again look at it from their side. We go rock rock then venture out into paper. Where would we go next? I do actually think it's time we do Scissors because I predict they stay, thinking Paper is still safest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Look, I don't like having to be the person that says "I told you so", but here we are: scissors would've netted us a win. Now, the other team clearly expected us to go with rock. That's self-evident. The switch-up confused them, clearly. They know that we know that they expected us to go with rock. Now they're going to try and out-analyse us. See, they're going to think that we're going to mess with them by going back to rock--what they originally thought we'd stick with because they thought we were a bunch of rock-obsessed weirdos. We threw them off, but I doubt they're convinced. They think we're going to try and mess with them by selecting rock again. This is the only logical conclusion. If they don't believe this, they're clearly mad. Therefore, the best bet for defeating them once again lies in utilizing the unutilized: scissors.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Round 4 is finished!

The result:

ROCK GLARES SULLENLY AT ROCK! IT IS A TIE!

Current score: 1-0 in favour of Team Left, three points left to win.

Previous moves:

L: PRPR-
R: RRPR-

Round five begins now! Rock, paper or scissors?

I will probably let the next round drag on a while longer than the usual 24~hour schedule on account of the weekend, unless the votes come in quickly from both teams.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

ScissorsScissorsScissorsScissorsScissorsScissorsScissorsScissors

E- I should probably explain why huh.

I cannot believe that they will go back to paper but at some point somebody needs to do it. Looking at both of our patterns there is justification for them to throw all three, tbh I think they will throw rock again but I've only been right half the time

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 17, 2017

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I think we're gonna tie forever. Maybe Scissors will break this curse. Or make us lose again. Can't hurt to try!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I agree. Scissors hasn't been broken out yet, and I doubt they'll go with Rock.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I believe they will suspect us of repeating moves a bunch, so we might want to mix it up more. Paper

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The last tie was with Paper. They expected us to do the 'normal' thing and switch to scissors, and played exploitatively.

They will expect us to switch to paper now and thus throw scissors. So paper is out.

That said, gently caress it SCISSOR KICK

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It's time to unleash the forbidden weapon of Scissors (at which point they also will and we'll tie again jesus christ)

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

(at which point they also will and we'll tie again jesus christ)

Our team's secret weapon is to tie so often that the other team quits.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
You have one chance, team. ONE change, and then you will be purged. Unleash the Scissors.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

I agree with the reasoning that's already been posted. Let's go with scissors

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I'm a big enough adult to admit when I'm wrong. You see, I'd begun to feel arrogant with regards to the efficacy of scissors thanks to the numerous missed opportunities we've experienced thus far in the game. To be fair, I think it's perfectly reasonable to see why I feel this way. I mean, I did get to be the "I-told-you-so" guy the last round. That, you see, that's something special. Now this time--well, this time it turns out that I was clearly in the wrong. It seems that scissors was the bad pick that round. You can see it, clear as day. The other team chose rock. This wasn't what I was expecting. Nosiree, I was certainly expecting them to overthink their move, but it turns out that it was I who was overthinking the move. I believed they would pick paper, thinking us to be weirdos who always picked rock. That wasn't the case. No. You see, they clearly chose rock. They made the right choice for the wrong reasons, though. They thought we'd make the move to scissors, offering them the opportunity to finally score a win with rock. I pushed for it. You all know I did. However, they didn't take the bait. My bad. I should've seen it coming.

However, that all aside, I think we have officially cemented our position to the other team as a bunch of weirdoes who pretty much only play rock. They saw us dabble with paper, but when it comes down to it, we're rock players at heart. Nothing else for us, but good ol'rock. It's the play Bart Simpson would make. It's the play we would make.

As such, the best move would be to do what they wouldn't expect. They've seen us play paper, but that's obviously only a ruse to confuse them. We play rock. That's what they believe. To prove my point, I have provided a handy diagram showing what I believe the other team believes:

This evidence in hand, there's only one clear option for this round: scissors

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Oh, I haven't posted in this round yet. Uh, Scissors, yeah, sure, that's a good idea everyone. Go team.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Round 5 is finished!

The result:

ROCK BREAKS SCISSORS! TEAM LEFT SCORES!

Current score: 2-0 in favour of Team Left, two points left to win.

Previous moves:

L: PRPRR-
R: RRPRS-

Round six begins now! Rock, paper or scissors?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
All is lost. But, hey. I can spare a little reasoning here still. There's no way they're gonna play Rock three times in a row. It'd be too expected. Wait. Thinking that, what if they go with it? They've tied or won every round so far. Clearly they are thinking in ways that we aren't. We didn't go with Rock three times in a row, but what if they do? Now is the time for Paper.

Yes, I talked myself out of a different choice while typing.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Double down on scissors!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
This is the only time so far they've played two in a row, so I imagine they switch. I guess that they will think that we will switch too. They also seen to be adverse to playing scissors, but 6 rounds in I imagine it's time, so I think we should play Rock

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I think staying with scissors is the best choice here. For one thing, I doubt scissors will come out since they haven't used it, and we already pulled that card last round, eliminating the need to have it show up. But I think they are fairly likely to switch, and the only other choice left is paper. So let's head them off and cut them down.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Since we're losing, we can do whatever the gently caress we like cause that's what you do when there's no hope. Scissors again!

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

gently caress them for defiantly refusing to pick scissors. Scissors is noble and Scissors is powerful

E- without trying to think more than one move ahead, they seem weirdly adverse to scissors (was it our opening rock salvo?) and considering how they reacted after our first loss this could be the time to take a win back, and force them into throwing scissors next round to tie it back up

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 20, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Scissors will be our salvation. It broke the string of ties, after all!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Pour everything into SCISSORS! NOW you fools! NOW!!! :byodood:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CirclMastr posted:

Double down on scissors!

i was worried i'd need to bring out more graphs and charts to extol the virtues of scissors, but here we are.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Round 6 is finished!

The result:

ROCK BREAKS ANOTHER PAIR OF SCISSORS! TEAM LEFT SCORES!

Current score: 3-0 in favour of Team Left, one point left to win.

Previous moves:

L: PRPRRR-
R: RRPRSS-

Round seven begins now! Rock, paper or scissors?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

God fuckin' dammit.

Uh, we could, um, go with, uh, Rock? Maybe? Pray they don't go with Paper?

I dunno man.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

There is no hope left. All is lost. But let's go back to our roots. Let's go back to the very first move we made. Let's go with rock.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 21, 2017

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

What, did they make a pact at the start to refuse to throw scissors? gently caress it then, I'm just gonna vote Paper until they win.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Picking scissors a second time was the fatalistic/dumb choice, and for them to think it's what we would go with is mind boggling to me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Give Left the finger and quit the game. I hate all of you.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
You fools! I told you! I said right there, they would make a move we would find unthinkable, and for once I didn't vote for a losing option! So, here's my reasoning again. They just won with Rock, and they haven't played Scissors all game. One of us has already panicked and voted for Paper, but what if that's what they want? What would be more poetic than ending the game with their only play of Scissors? They've been withholding it for a reason. Thus, now is the right time for Rock.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Give Left the finger and quit the game. I hate all of you.

If we are going down, we are doing it with honor. :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

If we are going down, we are doing it with honor. :colbert:

Refer to my previous statement.

I should have joined Team Left :suicide:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Ok, let's calm down a moment, it's RPS, not the end of the world. We are losing, yes, and I think that's affecting votes.

Ok, so they have thrown rock the times in a row. We just the scissors twice. I think that with their lead, they will try to win by throwing rock one more time, cause that's the crazy move and their lead means losing one round would be nbd to them and ribbing our faces in winning with 4 rocks in a row send about right. Thus: Paper

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

BrightWing posted:

Ok, let's calm down a moment, it's RPS, not the end of the world.

It is this kind of causal attitude that brought us to this point. Apparently this is all just fun and games to some of us.

I was under the impression that this would be a serious match. If you're not willing to die for the glove you shouldn't be voting for the glove

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I am voting for the glove, I just feel that getting worked up isn't going to help good judgment.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Refer to my previous statement.

I should have joined Team Left :suicide:

GNU Order posted:

It is this kind of causal attitude that brought us to this point. Apparently this is all just fun and games to some of us.

I was under the impression that this would be a serious match. If you're not willing to die for the glove you shouldn't be voting for the glove

I think it is clear from these statements that the glove should be taken off. It is driving us to madness.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

E:changed vote

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 22, 2017

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

Fine. Rock. Whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I have, myself, full confidence that if all the posters in this thread do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our hand, the right hand, to ride out the storm of RPS battle, and to outlive the menace and tyranny of the left hand, if necessary for years, if necessary alone.

At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of the right hand, Team Right--every poster one of us. That is the will of the Mod Team and the subforum.

The brave posters in favour of this thread and nine-gear crow who is being a grump, linked together in this cause and in our need, will defend to the death our right hand, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of our strength.

Even though three rounds and many old and famous RPS strategies have fallen or may fall into the grip of the left hand and all the odious apparatus of Team Left, we shall not flag or fail.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in this thread,
we shall fight in the observer thread and the left team's thread,
we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the subforum, we shall defend our thread, whatever the cost may be,
we shall fight in the Casual LP thread,
we shall fight on private messages,
we shall fight in the Tech Support Fort and in the Super-League thread,
we shall fight in the Sandcastle;
we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this thread or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Team beyond the subforums, armed and guarded by the right team's posters, would carry on the struggle, until, in Fedule's good time, other posters, with all their power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old by encouraging us all to play scissors.

• Locked thread