Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Blind Sally posted:

I have, myself, full confidence that if all the posters in this thread do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our hand, the right hand, to ride out the storm of RPS battle, and to outlive the menace and tyranny of the left hand, if necessary for years, if necessary alone.

At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of the right hand, Team Right--every poster one of us. That is the will of the Mod Team and the subforum.

The brave posters in favour of this thread and nine-gear crow who is being a grump, linked together in this cause and in our need, will defend to the death our right hand, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of our strength.

Even though three rounds and many old and famous RPS strategies have fallen or may fall into the grip of the left hand and all the odious apparatus of Team Left, we shall not flag or fail.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in this thread,
we shall fight in the observer thread and the left team's thread,
we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the subforum, we shall defend our thread, whatever the cost may be,
we shall fight in the Casual LP thread,
we shall fight on private messages,
we shall fight in the Tech Support Fort and in the Super-League thread,
we shall fight in the Sandcastle;
we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this thread or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Team beyond the subforums, armed and guarded by the right team's posters, would carry on the struggle, until, in Fedule's good time, other posters, with all their power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old by encouraging us all to play scissors.

Well jfc, I have to vote Scissors now. :captainpop:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Scissors

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Round 7 is finished!

The result:

ROCK SORTA JUST LAYS NEXT TO ROCK! IT IS A TIE!

Current score: 3-0 in favour of Team Left, one point left to win.

Previous moves:

L: PRPRRRR-
R: RRPRSSR-

Round begins eight now! Rock, paper or scissors?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

What kinda madmen would go for Rock four times in a row? They've gotta switch, right? Surely they will.

Let's go for Rock anyway and catch them unawares.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Told ya they'd go rock for the win just cause they could. That being said, I bet they expect us to go paper thinking they will go rock a 5th time, the madmen. So yes, I think we should go Rock on the grounds that they will finally switch.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I agree with rock. They have to switch at some point. And if they don't, we tie at the very least. This isn't much to go on, but it's all we have left.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Paper, they're not gonna throw scissors until they lose

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

GNU Order posted:

Paper, they're not gonna throw scissors until they lose

As much as I love the rock, this is looking to be the truth. Maybe they'll throw it if we tie with paper, but they didn't before. Paper.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Rock

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
New thought, maybe they think they've got us repeating rock a bunch and will throw paper to take advantage. Hmm.

Sticking to my current vote, it still feels like the safest play.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

They are clearly refusing to play the game in a way we thought they would. Trying to ascribe the same logic to them now would be pointless.

Remember the "loser switches, winner stays" concept? That doesn't just apply to throws, it applies to strategy. We're on what our third attempt at a strategy? While they are who we thought they were. If you want to get them to throw scissors we're going to have to beat them, and then beat them again.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Round 8 is finished!

The result:

ROCK ROCKS ROCK! IT IS A TIE!

Current score: 3-0 in favour of Team Left, one point left to win.

Previous moves:

L: PRPRRRRR-
R: RRPRSSRR-

Round nine begins now! Rock, paper or scissors?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The gently caress is wrong with our opponents?

ROCK

BECAUSE PREDICTION

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
To save people the effort post reasoning: paper

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

They have played rock 5 times in a row. :eyepop: It's not us who are the crazies that play rock. It's them. Let's punish that by playing paper.

Edit: Changed my vote.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 25, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Paper. Even if we die we'll have achieved something in getting them to actually play scissors.

E: Changed my vote

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 25, 2017

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

AlphaKretin posted:

Paper. Even if we die we'll have achieved something in getting them to actually play scissors.

True enough. Paper. No wait hang on.

We've already proven we won't go three Rocks in a row, and we're at two right now. They've just proven that they'll play Rock literally (figuratively) forever. This is their time, this is a bait to make us play Paper now. It'll go exactly as AlphaKretin there says, and the moral victory of making them play Scissors will not measure up to getting shut out in a Goddamn game of Rock Paper Scissors. They'll expect us to switch, since we haven't gone three-in-a-row before, and they'll expect that we'll expect them to keep playing Rock. So yeah, they'll play Scissors alright... and we'll snatch up a victory with Rock.

EDIT2: On the other hand, I made pretty much this exact prediction two rounds ago, when they had only just begun playing Rock forever, and it was wrong then. Maybe they really will just keep playing Rock until they lose one. I don't know anymore, but I do think our lack of going three-in-a-row in the past makes it more likely that now is the time they will change things up.

Oblivion4568238 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 24, 2017

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

As a heads-up: next turn won't be processed until tomorrow, make the most of it if you haven't posted yet!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Rock

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oblivion4568238 posted:

True enough. Paper. No wait hang on.

We've already proven we won't go three Rocks in a row, and we're at two right now. They've just proven that they'll play Rock literally (figuratively) forever. This is their time, this is a bait to make us play Paper now. It'll go exactly as AlphaKretin there says, and the moral victory of making them play Scissors will not measure up to getting shut out in a Goddamn game of Rock Paper Scissors. They'll expect us to switch, since we haven't gone three-in-a-row before, and they'll expect that we'll expect them to keep playing Rock. So yeah, they'll play Scissors alright... and we'll snatch up a victory with Rock.

EDIT2: On the other hand, I made pretty much this exact prediction two rounds ago, when they had only just begun playing Rock forever, and it was wrong then. Maybe they really will just keep playing Rock until they lose one. I don't know anymore, but I do think our lack of going three-in-a-row in the past makes it more likely that now is the time they will change things up.

You know what? You've convinced me. I'm changing my vote to rock. Even if we lose, we at least went down with the move we started with. And if they don't switch, we just tie again I guess.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I've been swayed. I can't believe I almost lost trust in the Rock.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Round 9 is finished!

The result:

ROCK BREAK SCISSORS! TEAM RIGHT SCORES!

Current score: 3-1 in favour of Team Left, one point left to win.

Previous moves:

L: PRPRRRRRS-
R: RRPRSSRRR-

Round ten begins now! Rock, paper or scissors?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Holy poo poo! :woop:

They probably regret finally going scissors, I don't expect them to throw it again. I'm leaning towards a scissors of our own, but I can be swayed (especially after my first vote last round would have been fatal).

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Comeback, motherfuckers!

We're still only one point away from defeat, but this might throw them off and make them try and out predict us. But they might also make safe plays with such a large advantage still, so while I'm not too sure what they might go for, I'm tempted to go with Paper as they might think we won't go for Rock this round.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

I think they might go for scissors again. They've proven that they go for unexpected moves, and re-throwing scissors after it just cost them a point would be pretty unexpected.

Except I'm expecting it. Rock.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
So they just tried to catch us out with a scissors throw. Hmm.

gently caress it, Rock

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I can't believe I almost fell for such an obvious ploy. :stonk:

I never should have lost faith in the rock. I don't know what they'll do, but I feel like that's the safest play to make.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Thank goodness I managed to convince myself and several others to switch! And this time around...

Phon posted:

I think they might go for scissors again. They've proven that they go for unexpected moves, and re-throwing scissors after it just cost them a point would be pretty unexpected.

Except I'm expecting it. Rock.

...it's your reasoning that I'm going with. Let's Rock.

And now, even if we do lose, we prevented a complete shut-out, so I'd be able to take it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I vote Rock

:getin:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Rock

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
let's play scissors!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Round 10 is finished!

The result:

ROCK BREAK SCISSORS! TEAM RIGHT SCORES!

Current score: 3-2 in favour of Team Left, one point left to win.

Previous moves:

L: PRPRRRRRSS-
R: RRPRSSRRRR-

Round eleven begins now! Rock, paper or scissors?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Dare we keep at this? I actually can't decide between keeping with rock and predicting a switch with scissors... I'll wait and see what others think before blindly agreeing with themdeciding.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

I'm going with paper. I don't think they'll stick with scissors- they've made the play of sticking with one throw for ages before. If they switch away from scissors then we'll either win or draw, and in the event of a draw we'll gain more insight into what they're playing at.

Plus if they don't switch and we lose, at least we will have gone down swinging.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I highly doubt they'll go with scissors again. It's proven to be a losing move so far in this entire match.

Let's go with paper to show that rock has forsaken them if they make that choice.

Of course there is the possibility they'll use their 1 point buffer to triple down and stick with scissors to catch us out. I dunno.

EDIT: Changed vote.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 27, 2017

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

On the one hand, they didn't go Rock 5 times in a row.

On the other hand, we switched out after losing with scissors twice in a row.

They may think both patterns stick. Throwing Rock would likely be unexpected.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Wow I can't believe that scored. Hmm. This one's a bit of a toss up. I don't think they'll stay scissors after that, so scissors

E: Changed vote, changing here too for saftey.

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 1, 2017

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I'm torn, honestly. We're right on an edge where either going whole hog with Scissors or switching to catch us off is a legitimate move for them.

CirclMastr posted:

On the one hand, they didn't go Rock 5 times in a row.

Except, they did. "L: PRP[RRRRR]SS-" So, us going Rock again is certainly within the moves they will consider seriously.

Honestly, I just don't know. I've got a gut feeling that they are going to play Paper this time, and that we should skip the information gathering tie and go straight for the kill with Scissors, but all I have going for this read is that gut feeling.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I'm fairly certain they won't bother with scissors. It's been a losing move for everyone so far, and rocks are just being thrown everywhere. So that leaves paper and scissors as our real choices. If we want to play mind games and bet on the fact that they'll think we'll go with rock, it could be a valid choice this time around. On the other hand, there's the risk of them playing rock. If we play paper, the worst that can happen is that we'll tie with them.

They're both valid choices, but I'd say paper is potentially the safer play here. Though I don't think it's guaranteed to give us safety. Of course, it might be likely that they won't go with rock after the quintuple rock play, so who knows.

This is of course, assuming that team left is not completely insane and will go with scissors yet again despite the fact that it won no one a point so far.

EDIT: We do kind of have an advantage in that us winning is not something they're probably not used to since it hasn't happened until now, and they probably don't know what to do since they have no idea what to expect from us. So making the safe play may not necessarily be the best choice here.

EDIT 2: Come to think of it, risking a tie may not be worth it. If we tie, we'll lose our only advantage and be giving them information instead, leaving us at a bit of a loss for the next round. In another situation, it would be a fairly even trade of sorts, but they're 3-2 right now. They only need to win one more time.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Paper seems safest but it also seems really obvious. Now that they lost two in a row I wonder if they'll start trying to play for real again, which to me says they'll follow the chain down to paper. I say we chase them, Scissors. Old, safe me would vote paper but sometimes you gotta go for it

• Locked thread