Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, after thinking about it for a while, it might be finally time for scissors to shine. And in the off chance that team left really was insane, we tie at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, after thinking about it for a while, it might be finally time for scissors to shine. And in the off chance that team left really was insane, we tie at least.

This logic suits me. Scissors

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Scissors

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm happy with whatever now, since losing 4-2 is a LOT better than 4-0. Though of course, losing 4-3 or even winning 3-4 would also be great.

I agree with the various logic from before, so Scissors

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Round 11 is finished!

The result:

SCISSORS CUT PAPER! TEAM RIGHT SCORES!

Current score: Tied at 3-3, NEXT POINT BY EITHER TEAM WINS THE GAME!

Previous moves:

L: PRPRRRRRSSP-
R: RRPRSSRRRRS-

Round twelve begins now! Rock, paper or scissors?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh poo poo, oh god. :ohdear: The stakes are so high. We could actually do this!

E: The below is fine by me. We'll finish this with book ends, wherever that may take us. Rock! I changed, again, for the same reason. Dang it.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 1, 2017

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

Oh my god I don't feel qualified to make a suggestion. This is the comeback of the century.

gently caress it, ROCK.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

We're here. They had us dead to rights, and we turned it around with three straight victories. They must be freaking out about this. All they had to do was win one more game, and we flipped it right around to a possible choke. But... I don't know where to go from here. We both broke convention on this last round, and while it helped us win that round, it leaves me unsure what they will do next. I may have helped us get on this winning streak by changing people's minds in Round 9, but it doesn't make me a proper strategist, just a decent reactionary. I'm going to wait for our more strategical players to give us both our team's plan and the other team's possible plans before I make my own decision.

Really, I can't wait to go back and read all of this when it's over. It must be so exciting for the observers right now.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Yeah, reading the other two threads will be fun once this is done.

So, we broke the unlock streak of scissors because they thought we'd resort to old faithful. Hmm. Rock got us into this mess, and I doubt they'd throw scissors anyway. Paper

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

:stare: What is this feeling? Is it hope? I didn't think we would ever get to this point. I think no matter what happens here, I'll be satisfied.

I don't think rock is the best move to make here. Playing rock now means we're expecting them to play scissors or rock. And just because we won with scissors last round, doesn't necessarily mean we'll see it come out this round. Take a look at their behavior. They doubled down on the same move after we won once. Then switched to the move that would trump ours in the last round. So with that (extremely small sample size) as evidence, I think paper is our best move for this round. They're either going to double down on paper, or switch back to rock. I feel both are very likely outcomes based on their past throws. I just don't think scissors is likely to come out from their side. Not when it hasn't worked for them, and only worked for us so far.

EDIT: I have been swayed by the rousing speech of Blind Sally's.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 1, 2017

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I'm going to reserve voting because I want to consider all options.

BUT!

Just throwing this out.

Would it be crazy if we threw scissors again?

The answer is yes, but it might just be crazy enough to work

Their scissors bias must mean to them that scissors is weak and paper is safe. We caught them once and I could see them falling back to "loser moves winner stays" and trying to invert it. My gut has been wrong before but I could see them staying paper

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 28, 2017

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Looking at our own throw history, we've only thrown paper once. We also just won by doubling down on the winning play. Both teams went on a rock streak, but ours was more recent. I still don't see them throwing scissors, so personally question becomes do they think we will stay scissors to match our last set of wins, or do they expect us to do that obvious play and will circle around to rock to beat it.

Again my gut leans to the former

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh god I have no idea what to go for. When it comes down to winner takes all, there is no strategy, just a chance to win! And how the gently caress did we get in a position to win?

Seriously, who bribed the OP?

In any case, let's go with Paper!

I don't really have a reason.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Dr. Fetus posted:

:stare: What is this feeling? Is it hope? I didn't think we would ever get to this point. I think no matter what happens here, I'll be satisfied.

I don't think rock is the best move to make here. Playing rock now means we're expecting them to play scissors or rock. And just because we won with scissors last round, doesn't necessarily mean we'll see it come out this round. Take a look at their behavior. They doubled down on the same move after we won once. Then switched to the move that would trump ours in the last round. So with that (extremely small sample size) as evidence, I think paper is our best move for this round. They're either going to double down on paper, or switch back to rock. I feel both are very likely outcomes based on their past throws. I just don't think scissors is likely to come out from their side. Not when it hasn't worked for them, and only worked for us so far.

I was leaning Paper myself when I did my previous post, and this feels like good reasoning to back it up. I'll vote Paper now, to avoid forgetting to vote at all, but will remain open to other options.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Paper is the optimal outcome.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 1, 2017

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Time for me to analyze again. Hopefully this won't be too results-oriented, but my goal here is to try to decipher the decision-making process behind their moves. So, let's look at their behavior, and discuss what's exploitative, what's counter-exploitative, and what's GTO:

Round 1: We throw rock, the expected/most likely opening. They exploit with paper, and win.
Round 2: If we had stuck with expectations, we would have moved to the throw that would have won round 1, scissors. They threw rock to exploit, but we tied.

Where does that leave them? There's no solid exploitative play to follow a tie. Arguably, they could have reverted back to a round 1 strategy. Equally arguably, they could have expected a repeat throw. Either way:
Round 3: They expect us to throw rock. They throw paper to exploit, but we tie.

What could they learn from this? That either expectations were wrong (after a tie, we cycle to the next throw), or we are adopting exploitative throws (expecting them to throw rock with the same reasoning they used to expect us to throw rock). If the former were true, they would expect us to throw scissors next (cycling to the next throw). If the latter, they would expect us to throw paper to exploit rock (if they think we put them on reverting to rock after a tie) or scissors to exploit paper (if they think we think they repeat). But game history shows they don't revert to rock on a tie, so they rule that out. The upshot:
Round 4: They expect us to exploit and throw scissors. They throw rock to counter-exploit, but we tie.

Now they may be confused. We aren't playing exploitatively. Either we went to the bog standard rock opening again, or we're counter-exploiting and they have to go one level deeper. But! Game history shows that after we tied with rock before, we went paper. Do they go by theory, or history? If they think we're exploiting, they would expect scissors to exploit history's paper. If they think we're historical, they would expect paper as before. They decide:
Round 5: They expect us to exploit and throw scissors. They throw rock, and win.

Now they have us. They've put us on exploitative play. They know we won't throw paper, the throw that would have won us the previous round, because we've moved off expected plays from round 2. Their own history from round 1 to 2 shows that they don't adhere to "winner stays" and they know we know that, so they can't reliably counter-exploit. But with paper ruled out:
Round 6: They throw rock, knowing they can do no worse than tie. They win.

At this point they actually HAVE adhered to the "winner stays" expectation. But the considerations for round 7 are almost the same as round 6. We've shown we won't make expected plays anymore. And even if we surprise them, they're up 3-0 and can take a loss. But by now they have thrown 3 rocks in a row, and they might be thinking that we don't expect a fourth. It's less certain but odds are very low that we throw paper.
Round 7: They throw rock, almost knowing they can do no worse than tie. They tie.

So round 8 comes around, they're trying to lock up the sweep, and it's the first tie in a while. So they look at what happened before. Go back to round 4, where we tied with rock. What did we do then? We threw scissors and lost to their rock. Both teams have demonstrated they won't stick to one style of play. But we've tied with rock three times now: first we cycled to paper and tied again, second we cycled to scissors and lost. We haven't had any success, only tying. Do they expect us to stick to rock this time? If anything, they ought to rule out scissors (since we lost with it) and therefore throw paper, knowing they can at worst tie against paper and at best win against rock. But they don't. They throw rock for a fifth time. Why? The only justification I can see is if they felt that by throwing rock four times in a row, it would stop us from throwing paper, since we would never expect a fifth rock in a row. That would leave rock and scissors for us to throw, and their safe throw becomes:
Round 8: They throw rock, possibly because they ruled out paper and made rock no worse than a tie. We throw rock and tie.

So we have another rock-rock tie. We've followed rock-rock ties up first with paper, then scissors, now rock. We've cycled around, and they may put us on paper for the next throw. Additionally, we have not thrown the same move three times in a row to this point. History rules out rock, expected play is paper, either way:
Round 9: They throw scissors, either to exploit an expected paper or because they rule out rock. We throw rock, and win.

There may be some more confusion at this point. But this is new territory, our first win. They don't know how we'll respond, but we haven't been on strictly expected play in a while. If we were on expected play, we would throw rock next because winner stays. If we were on exploitative play, we would throw scissors next against an expected play of paper. But neither team is playing to expectations, and both teams know it. If they can't throw paper (against the expected play of rock), and they can't counter-exploit with rock (because it requires them to think we would assume they throw the expected move), that leaves scissors. It also defies the "loser moves" expectation, as a bonus. Or maybe that's the main reason and I'm too deep into yomi in my analysis.
Round 10: They throw scissors, in order to be unexpected on some level. We throw rock, and win.

It's now 3-2, things aren't looking too good for them. Not only did we throw rock four times in a row, but we succeeded with a "winner stays" play, just like they did. Our style is clearly changing again. Maybe they think we're just aping the five-rocks pattern, maybe they think we're going to stick with "winner stays" and play standard, expected moves. But either way, it's back to basics for them. Either they were too deep into yomi or not deep enough last round; either way, it's time to exploit.
Round 11: They throw paper to exploit an expected rock. We throw scissors and win.

Where does that leave us now? We just demonstrated exploitative play, immediately after expected play. They may think we set them up for it. They may think we're completely in their heads.
So let's look at the possibilities from their point of view:
1. We play standard, "winner stays," and throw scissors again.
2. We expect them to throw rock (would have won last round) and exploit with paper.

If they think we are on either of these plans, they would throw scissors. It ties against expected play, and wins against exploitative play. If this analysis is correct, we should throw Rock.

CirclMastr fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 28, 2017

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I'll go ahead and make my vote for Paper but I still think they're going to throw paper again

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Also we should unglove when we make our winning throw (which will be this one)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

My people...

Goons and shitposters of the Team Right thread....

For many posts, we have been a broken team: shunned, mocked, and conquered by those we sought to outsmart.

Ten years ago, I registered this account, as though I knew it would come to this. Now, I ask for your time, and though this time has not specifically been granted by you, the posters of the thread, I can nonetheless post freely thanks to our forum's overlords.

Know this: it's you, the posters of the thread, the strength in my arm, the holders of my dreams. It is you whom I rely on to bring us to our victory.

Our OP embarked on the greatest Let's Play in the history of this subforum. An LP for freedom. The Team Right Thread became that freedom. This new thread changed our bodies--affected our minds, our instincts. At first it weakened us, providing false confidence to those Team Left infidels--but in fact, we were growing stronger.

In this time that you have given me (thank you to our Mod Overlords), I have rebuilt this thread, I have rebuilt our strength, and I have rebuilt our pride.

Our enemies at home have been re-educated; we have given them new insights into our cause.

On this day, we stand united once more. On this day, those that drive to divide us will hear our voice! On this day, we shall act as one, and we shall be ignored NO MORE!

Defenders of the Team Right dream, NOW IS THE TIME TO PLAY SCISSORS!!!

Sally fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 1, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh gently caress it my vote didn't have any thought behind it anyway. Scissors it is! :patriot:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Ugh, I cant. That pic with Nine Gear Crow's av is just too much. Scissors! :patriot:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

GNU Order posted:

I'll go ahead and make my vote for Paper but I still think they're going to throw paper again

Wouldn't it be better to vote for scissors in that case?

:golfclap: It's a shame you weren't around for the last round. To make up for it, commence Operation: Scissors! :patriot:

If we lose, we'll go down in a blaze of glory anyway. 3 wins is a good score to end things on.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 1, 2017

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Do not listen to this rambling heretic and his flagging, fool's obsession with Scissors. Paper is our way forward. Do NOT stray from the path!

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 1, 2017

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It appears the lot of you have forced my hand. You'll thank me when this is all over.

I change my vote to Abstain and give Scissors the majority. And to destroy this game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

It appears the lot of you have forced my hand. You'll thank me when this is all over.

I change my vote to Abstain and give Scissors the majority. And to destroy this game.

WHAT DID YOU DO!? :catstare:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Dr. Fetus posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=203973

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Win.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dr. Fetus posted:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Does it hurt? Know it was me who won the game, instead of you?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Oh what on earth. Here I was, trying to make an actual effortpost to counter Blind Sally, but apparently things are in motion now and I may as well not bother???

Anyways, here, have an image that I was spending too much time in Paint to try and make the components of, when i went and downloaded GIMP and did everything left in a couple of minutes.

If this thread is still alive by tomorrow, I'll make that effortpost then.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Operation scissors might have been compromised! Who knows what Crow told them! :gonk:

We're probably back to square one in that we have no idea what move is going to be thrown at all. I don't know what move I should even go with now!

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 1, 2017

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Come back to Paper. It is my Gut FeelingTM that they are going to play Rock, and we can then play Paper, mirroring the first round of the game with us as the victors.

Of course, certain events just might have thrown a spanner in all of our plans...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Hello team Right. It's a shame some people can't play nicely, isn't it?

You can consider your votes locked in for now. The observer thread is currently deciding your fate.

You have all played very well.

have faith

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

Crowwwwwwwwwww :argh:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Round 12 is finished!

After the sudden deliberate betrayal of their team and the very spirit of Rock-Paper-Scissors by a certain player, the observer thread has adjudicated this round. The result:

gently caress NINE-GEAR CROW! IT IS A TIE!

Current score: Tied at 3-3

I can feel that you all agree that the game should have ended this round, and by right maybe it should. You have all put up a marvellous fight, and it's been a joy and a great source of excitement to watch you battle. However, all things must come to an end.

Of course, we can't let the actions of one maverick decide how the game ends. Instead, the choice of who wins will be entirely in your hands. Thus, we are going to do something different for the thirteenth and final round of this game:

Let's play Prisoner's Dilemma!

You have one simple choice: Will you agree that you are both deserving winners of this game (cooperate), or will you claim that your team are the only worthy winners? (betray)

If you both cooperate, both teams will win with a score of 4-4.

If one team cooperates and the other betrays, the betraying team will win with a score of 4-3.

If both teams betray, both team will lose with a score of 3-3. The only winning move will have been not to play.

Extra rule by popular demand: If any team cooperates, nine-gear crow loses. If both teams betray, nine-gear crow triple-loses.

Round thirteen begins now. This game ends here. Make your choice.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Purely pragmatically, the difference between tying 4-4 and tying 3-3 means nothing to me. We mounted the 11th hour comeback before a rogue agent sabotaged us for the gloveless menace.

Betray

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

poo poo. :stare: Ok, uh... We are in round 13 of a first-to-4 game. That's a goddamn lot of ties. It's only appropriate that this ends in cooperation. Luna's a better character than Dio anyway. :v:

E: There is a lot of PD discussion in the VLR thread, but I'm not digging it up at night on phone. I'd say I might revise my vote later, but not saying so hasn't stopped me the last, like, 4 rounds.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 1, 2017

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

It's kind of a buzzkill that the game isn't ending with RPS, though.

What about a couple day's recess followed by a heads up, winner-takes-all, crow-free, RPS Royale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
We should cooperate. If we betray, we are no better than nine-gear crow--and we wouldn't want that. Presumably the other team feels the same way and they will also cooperate. If they betray and we cooperate, then we may lose by a point, but we'll win the greatest victory of all: the moral victory. That, and we'll know what I suspected all along: that Team Left is comprised entirely of nine-gear crows.

• Locked thread