Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I do have a question: I've prepared a Discord server for real-time strategic discussion and an AI practice opponent. Are either/both of these things within the rules, or not? Am I taking the gimmick too far
If it is alright, or you want to vet it, the invite is

As for the game, with neither a physical player to size up or a game history to analyse, there's nothing in particular to influence our first throw. Therefore, I propose we follow the time-honoured tradition of opening with Rock.

E: VVV Happily, that's the main reason I asked.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Curses! If I'm remembering the write-up about player psychology correctly, we're expected to change while our opponent is expected to stay the same - but they know we know this.

If we were playing reactively, we'd change to scissors, which would leave us vulnerable to rock - so let's pre-empt that move on their part and defeat it with Paper! And if it turns out we're overthinking it and they stay the same, it leaves us with a tie - preferable to another loss.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I knew we should have gone paper! :argh: As much as it would appeal to my sense of symmetry to fulfil Blind Sally's wishes and go with scissors, it seems like too obvious of a move here. They would never expect us to throw Rock a third time in a row after two consecutive failures, but it's just crazy enough to work!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

No effort posts from me this round. I agree with the already-given reasoning.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It's time to unleash the forbidden weapon of Scissors (at which point they also will and we'll tie again jesus christ)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Scissors will be our salvation. It broke the string of ties, after all!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

E:changed vote

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 22, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Blind Sally posted:

I have, myself, full confidence that if all the posters in this thread do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our hand, the right hand, to ride out the storm of RPS battle, and to outlive the menace and tyranny of the left hand, if necessary for years, if necessary alone.

At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of the right hand, Team Right--every poster one of us. That is the will of the Mod Team and the subforum.

The brave posters in favour of this thread and nine-gear crow who is being a grump, linked together in this cause and in our need, will defend to the death our right hand, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of our strength.

Even though three rounds and many old and famous RPS strategies have fallen or may fall into the grip of the left hand and all the odious apparatus of Team Left, we shall not flag or fail.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in this thread,
we shall fight in the observer thread and the left team's thread,
we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the subforum, we shall defend our thread, whatever the cost may be,
we shall fight in the Casual LP thread,
we shall fight on private messages,
we shall fight in the Tech Support Fort and in the Super-League thread,
we shall fight in the Sandcastle;
we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this thread or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Team beyond the subforums, armed and guarded by the right team's posters, would carry on the struggle, until, in Fedule's good time, other posters, with all their power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old by encouraging us all to play scissors.

Well jfc, I have to vote Scissors now. :captainpop:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 22, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

GNU Order posted:

Paper, they're not gonna throw scissors until they lose

As much as I love the rock, this is looking to be the truth. Maybe they'll throw it if we tie with paper, but they didn't before. Paper.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Paper. Even if we die we'll have achieved something in getting them to actually play scissors.

E: Changed my vote

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 25, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I've been swayed. I can't believe I almost lost trust in the Rock.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Holy poo poo! :woop:

They probably regret finally going scissors, I don't expect them to throw it again. I'm leaning towards a scissors of our own, but I can be swayed (especially after my first vote last round would have been fatal).

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Dare we keep at this? I actually can't decide between keeping with rock and predicting a switch with scissors... I'll wait and see what others think before blindly agreeing with themdeciding.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, after thinking about it for a while, it might be finally time for scissors to shine. And in the off chance that team left really was insane, we tie at least.

This logic suits me. Scissors

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh poo poo, oh god. :ohdear: The stakes are so high. We could actually do this!

E: The below is fine by me. We'll finish this with book ends, wherever that may take us. Rock! I changed, again, for the same reason. Dang it.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 1, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh gently caress it my vote didn't have any thought behind it anyway. Scissors it is! :patriot:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Dr. Fetus posted:

WHAT DID YOU DO!? :catstare:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=203973

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

poo poo. :stare: Ok, uh... We are in round 13 of a first-to-4 game. That's a goddamn lot of ties. It's only appropriate that this ends in cooperation. Luna's a better character than Dio anyway. :v:

E: There is a lot of PD discussion in the VLR thread, but I'm not digging it up at night on phone. I'd say I might revise my vote later, but not saying so hasn't stopped me the last, like, 4 rounds.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 1, 2017

• Locked thread