Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

jokes posted:

my bad, I forgot that William Henry Hairytaint played a catboy in Final Fantasy XIV because they changed the thread title

I can change it back if we need to :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
By all means, don't let us hold you back.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Bloodborne is the only one where I ever bothered learning to parry because it actually gives you the opportunity to. Since your parry is in fact just shooting someone with a gun, you can A: do it from a sorta safe distance to give yourself some time to dodge if you screw up, and B: even when you fail the parry you often make the enemy flinch a little (especially with the higher caliber guns) giving you yet more opportunities to salvage the situation by dodging. Plus your guns are damaging the enemy anyway so a failed parry isn’t necessarily “wasted effort”. And finally the game is just really good at visually telling you what can be parried while also making parryable moves constantly happening.
In Elden Ring or Dark Souls the time spent vs risk ratio just never makes learning a parry pattern worth your time because there’s zero chance for error, with it got worse every game until in Elden Ring it’s suicide. Every failed parry absolutely will take of 2/3rds+ off your full health bar off and is a complete net loss (no flinching or bloodtinge damage). And they just plain got bad at telling you who and what was actually parryable.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Silent Hill 2 is a good game but it largely doomed the series.

every dev after Team Silent was obsessed with the idea of recreating it until we ended up with a dozen awful games about the main character’s TRAUMA

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 28, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Trauma, moral panics, and fears turned into monsters are the three points of the horror trianglehead.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

internet celebrity posted:

Ooh, time for my hot take on console generations: there are only 4 meaningfully distinct generations in video game history. The first is hardware games like pong, where the game is part of the hardware itself. Next is removable media games like basically everything from the Atari through the PS2. It's a wide span of time, but as far as how people used their consoles it was basically the same, you bought a video game the same way you bought a VHS tape. Third is the downloadable media generation, where onboard game stores had a selection of individual games to pay for and download. This also covers Steam which arguably kicked off this generation. And the fourth is console as a subscription service or streaming model like Gamepass or whatever Google's thing was called. This is still pretty new but I would bet in our lifetime we're going to see consoles that requires a paid monthly subscription to do anything.

Haven't the Xbox consoles been a hybrid subscription-based model since the beginning, where you buy games but also have to pay a monthly fee to play them with people? Like I guess you could play singleplayer games on them still but why would you want to

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've never played silent hill but it just looks like resident evil if it was not in on the joke

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I've never played silent hill but it just looks like resident evil if it was not in on the joke

I think that's why everyone seemed to hate (and I loved) The Room, because it broke that mold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The Room is the Dark Souls 2 of Silent Hill