Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

a continuous flow from gameboy advance to n-gage to DS to PSP. the line is truly blurred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I love sekiro. Beating that Final boss felt so good

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nice Van My Man posted:

A console generation is when the only console makers anyone ever cared about : Nintendo, Sega, Microsoft or Sony release a system, usually just a year or so apart so they can all be bundled together. They each represent a significant upgrade in terms of hardware performance unless you're Nintendo and don't need to care anymore.

Atari can count but only before the Nintendo I aint' counting any Jaguar poo poo.

Except it's not because then the Genesis would be in the NES generation and the NES would be in the Atari 2600 generation. Those platforms showed up years later in the US but people divide "generations" based on when they were sold there rather than when they were actually released.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Sega gets to realse consoles early that's why the Dreamcast counts as a PS2/XBox generation, but they paid the ultimate price and aren't allowed to make consoles anymore for their hubris.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

George posted:

I adored Sekiro but never beat the last boss. I got sick of bashing my head against it so I went and did everything else, thinking if I 100% the game it'll be easier. I still couldn't beat the last boss so I never did.

The first time I reached him I gave up after one attempt because I just felt exhausted with the game and didn't want to do a 4-phase fight. I returned years later and beat him within a handful of attempts after replaying the game and having it really click.

The only thing I hate about the final boss is the Genichiro phase. People are always like "he should be easy by that point!" but I had long since forgotten his moves and never found it to be a trivial phase. It just means that if you screw up fighting him you have that much fewer resources for the real final boss.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

*turns chair backwards and sits down, crossing arms over the backrest*

Sekiro isn't fun. It feels like a modern day Dragon's Lair: press a button at the right time or die.

At first it looks like you have options, because it presents you with things like Combat Arts and Prosthetic tools, but you should almost never use them because you'll be punished for it. You're better off just pressing the button at the right time. You can move, and dodge, but it's more efficient to press the button at the right time.

I've not felt any satisfaction or sense of accomplishment upon clearing an area or taking down a boss, just a brief sense of relief that it's finally over. I'm at Lady Butterfly currently and she feels beatable, but I don't think I care enough to keep trying, because it feels like it's going to be more of the same for the entire game. I get money when I kill dudes, but there's nothing to spend it on because the merchants don't restock their inventories. So I can't even content myself with knowing I have consumables in good supply to help me out, except the little spirit emblems, which I have hundreds and hundreds of, ready to power abilities and tools that I am discouraged from using, because if I just press L1 at the right time I'll be in a much stronger position.

I got to the same part as you and felt the same way. For some reason I started trying it again last night and I've been feeling the same way...again

There's some aspects of the game I like quite a bit, but I guess I just need the opportunity for self-expression within an action game, which Sekiro definitely doesn't do.

If you kind of like Sekiro but want a game where you can mess around and experiment with mechanics ; try the modern Ninja Gaiden series and Wanted:Dead (my 2023 GOTY). I had a lot of fun with those. You can feel like you're doing cool badass poo poo/strategies instead of just trying to win a fight.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sekiro isn't fun. It feels like a modern day Dragon's Lair: press a button at the right time or die.

At first it looks like you have options, because it presents you with things like Combat Arts and Prosthetic tools, but you should almost never use them because you'll be punished for it. You're better off just pressing the button at the right time. You can move, and dodge, but it's more efficient to press the button at the right time.

I've not felt any satisfaction or sense of accomplishment upon clearing an area or taking down a boss, just a brief sense of relief that it's finally over. I'm at Lady Butterfly currently and she feels beatable, but I don't think I care enough to keep trying, because it feels like it's going to be more of the same for the entire game. I get money when I kill dudes, but there's nothing to spend it on because the merchants don't restock their inventories. So I can't even content myself with knowing I have consumables in good supply to help me out, except the little spirit emblems, which I have hundreds and hundreds of, ready to power abilities and tools that I am discouraged from using, because if I just press L1 at the right time I'll be in a much stronger position.

This games biggest flaw is that it feels like it requires mastery to make progress, and I don't want to have to master a game to experience it. I want to reach a reasonable level of skill and then work towards mastery if the game is entertaining enough.

I've given it 20 hours, which I think is a fair shake, but I don't know that I'll continue.

You should not continue this game. The primary distinction between Sekiro and Dark Souls is that Sekiro requires system mastery and mastering the system is the fun. You aren't enjoying that and do not enjoy that and cannot enjoy Sekiro.

Dark Souls gives you plenty of ways to break the game over your knee, you don't need to meet a specific weapon and combat approach head on and master, unless you want to. Dark Souls you can just have someone else beat a boss if you can't.

Sekiro focuses on one weapon and gives it a lot more depth and makes each battle a deadly dance where if you gently caress up and can't waltz then you die, and if you can't learn to waltz then they don't let you into the ball.

I don't think it's like Dragons Lair so much as the Yakuza disco dance mini game but 4 times faster and if u fuckup they cut off Kiryu's head.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

haddedam posted:

Neither was crafting.

All the resource gathering in Rebirth has a "oops, we forgot to give you something to do in the overworld" vibe

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Khanstant posted:

You should not continue this game. ... You aren't enjoying that and do not enjoy that and cannot enjoy Sekiro.

Henry played DOTA2 a lot. A lot a lot.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

jokes posted:

That's JollyBoyJohn. Henry made a catboy in FF14.

Get your thread lore straight, scrub.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

jokes posted:

Are you thinking of JollyBoyJohn? WHH played a catboy in Final Fantasy XIV.

edit: dammit

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

my bad, I forgot that William Henry Hairytaint played a catboy in Final Fantasy XIV because they changed the thread title

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
We need a new thread title that describes every poster and their embarrassing gaming history so everyone knows who to make fun of for what.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Update the OP with this crucial information, imo.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

George posted:

I adored Sekiro but never beat the last boss. I got sick of bashing my head against it so I went and did everything else, thinking if I 100% the game it'll be easier. I still couldn't beat the last boss so I never did.

I did everything in 40 hours. Except the last boss. 30 hours over the next year or so, trying different things, and I finally got him. How? Someone in the PS4 thread said how block/parry works. Which isn't well explained in the game.

In the game: hold to block, hit L1 to parry. So I would tap L1 to parry and it was fine most of the game. But it's really press for a moment, not tap. That difference was all I needed to finish the last boss.

Tapping will work sometimes but you need perfect timing. Pressing works just as well. It's just a hard thing to get across in a tutorial. Especially if you tap and it works so you learn to do that.

You can get very far in the game without learning to play properly. I enjoyed the ninja aspects so would rarely go one on one with harder non-bosses. I'd just stealth them and run away and reset if needed. I killed every single enemy in the game at least once and picked up every item by doing this. And I found ways to defeat all the bosses. Except big bad. And there is a way to cheese him, I just couldn't get it right.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Sekiro isn't dragon's lair, it's like the OG release of Devil May Cry 3 and you're stuck with the Royal Gaurd style. Excellent third person action game, but really minimal RPG elements and really high difficulty. The prosthetics are like Megaman weapons in that there is a great all-purpose one for throwing metal blades that owns, and a bunch of others that are mostly just for specific bosses.

It's funny that everyone who plays the Souls games has a pretty reliable path through them and it always ends with them slamming into a brick wall with Sekiro because it just isn't an RPG. I could never really get Souls games and struggled with all of them, but for me Sekiro was a pretty breezy experience that only had a couple tough bits. But that's because I'm good at action games and bad at RPGs.
I seriously suck at RPGS. I honestly struggled more with act 1 in Baldurs Gate on the default difficulty than with the final act of Sekiro on hard difficulty. I genuinely can't understand having any trouble with Lady Butterfly, but I also kept getting murdered by stupid goblins because I can't read a stat sheet or figure out what the gently caress a "cantrip" is. So if you're just not feeling it, don't bother, it's an pure action game and there is really not a lot for you if the action isn't hooking you in.

Bifner McDoogle fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 27, 2024

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Honestly, Hirata Estate is kind of a bummer of an area compared to the rest of the game. I remember starting to feel pretty burned out early on because it was just that place and the initial snowy castle locale. The game really picks up when you get to the more fantastical locations though.

Btw use the shuriken prosthetic on Lady Butterfly when she's up in the air.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!

haddedam posted:

Ubisoft, hard to pick they are all so good cause they have all the same good design

Bottom
Outer wilds: worst outer brand game, no story

Why do you want to get into a fist fight so bad?

TBLALV
Aug 5, 2022
I dunno games are weird. I had Sechiro 'click' during the Lady Butterfly fight and happily went through the entire game despite its low points because getting the timing and rhythm of fights along with getting the louder 'CHING' sound of a perfect parry hit all the serotonin synapses in my dying brain

And then I tried Bloodborne and never got the timing of the gun parries and it never felt right and I dropped it after 2 hours

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
You don't need to parry in bloodborne all that much or at all really

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I didn't do it a single time.

TBLALV
Aug 5, 2022
Yeah actually that is honestly on me I should stop playing a game that isn't Sekiro like Sekiro

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

fridge corn posted:

You don't need to parry in bloodborne all that much or at all really

Getting Ludwig's Holy Blade and turning it into a greatsword was a very rip and tear moment for me. I don't think I ever parried again in that game

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

TBLALV posted:

Yeah actually that is honestly on me I should stop playing a game that isn't Sekiro like Sekiro

Actually playing something like something else and complaining about it is the thread tradition.

Closely followed by not playing something and complaining about it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I parried 1 enemy in Bloodborne, the early large man enemies who give two vials on defeat.

The skill I gained from sekiro of "run in a circle around your enemies and slash their kneecaps because your attack animations and cancel rate is way higher than Souls games" did, however, apply.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
Yeah I really only parried in Bloodborne to farm blood vials too. I love Souls games but trying to learn parry timing on every single enemy and boss was tedious and split my attention too much when I could get the same result just focusing on pure damage

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's kind of wild that people love and live for gacha games given all the poo poo that happened because of loot boxes. There were, like, laws passed and everything. But gacha games have just flown right by and it's cool, which makes me wonder why anyone had a problem with loot boxes?

For the record, I think loot boxes and *more randomised* loot boxes are not good, and video game gambling with real money bad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

It's kind of wild that people love and live for gacha games given all the poo poo that happened because of loot boxes. There were, like, laws passed and everything. But gacha games have just flown right by and it's cool, which makes me wonder why anyone had a problem with loot boxes?

For the record, I think loot boxes and *more randomised* loot boxes are not good, and video game gambling with real money bad.

Gacha was aimed at mobile gamers and also realized quickly they should have a pity draw system to avoid backlash which is something which lootboxes never did.

Also they're way more integrated to the gambling part of the brain instead of being dissapointing to those who dont gamble and only slightly thrilling to those who do.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Parrying in Bloodborne felt inconsistent. If it was a human enemy it seemed like I could shoot them whenever they started their attack animation, but then other enemies required millisecond timing, except for some attacks which seemed trivial to parry. My strategy was to try blasting a move the first time I saw it and if I didn't get a hit just forget about it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

But yes unironically battle passes and basically every other method of monetization is more palatable to me than random lottery systems and I would unironically outlaw all of them along with gambling in general since its just a method of preying on addicts.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I don't think you even can parry in Bloodborne, you can interrupt attacks by shooting guys with a gun tho

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I never parried or deflected or whatever in sekiro because it was easier to just block or run around

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't think you even can parry in Bloodborne, you can interrupt attacks by shooting guys with a gun tho

had to do it with gascoigne but then i hardly used it again

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
When I first fought Gascoigne I remembered people talking about how hard he was. By the time I was done with him on my second attempt I thought there were a lot of people who were very confused. To be fair, BB has a terrible first act. It's incredibly stupid how far you have to get before you can level up. And yeah, I know there is a thingy about 1/2 through the level that one can find or that if you get to one of the bosses it happens by default. It's still a bad system that makes the beginning of the game much harder than it needs to be.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Oh yeah Gascoigne, he falls into the 'if it looks human you can parry (shoot) it' rule the game seems to have. I fought all the bosses by sidewalking behind them and whacking away. It wasn't very hard but by that point I'd learned the Fromsoft hack of maxing out your life as early as possible.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

parrying in bloodborne is awesome, blasting a fool in the face with a shotgun while he did some crazy From Software telegraphed swinging attack was badass.

sekiro is rad as hell but it requires you to be good at games so i understand why some people may not enjoy it

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Appreciate all the replies and advice today. Not gonna uninstall it or anything, maybe I'll feel like giving it another go in a few days. I am currently out of adderall which is making me feel lousy and impatient which might be part of the problem, I dunno. In the meantime I'm gonna start something else, not sure what yet. Maybe Dragon Quest XI, I haven't played a DQ since the NES days and I'd like to try a typical RPG again and see if I feel any different about them since Terraria/Fromsoft reminded me that video games could be good again.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Appreciate all the replies and advice today. Not gonna uninstall it or anything, maybe I'll feel like giving it another go in a few days. I am currently out of adderall which is making me feel lousy and impatient which might be part of the problem, I dunno. In the meantime I'm gonna start something else, not sure what yet. Maybe Dragon Quest XI, I haven't played a DQ since the NES days and I'd like to try a typical RPG again and see if I feel any different about them since Terraria/Fromsoft reminded me that video games could be good again.

i'm gonna play metal gear solid for the game boy color

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Sekiro, DMC3, and God Hand all ended up with me practicing ridiculously optimized alpha strikes and then retrying bosses until it just happens to get enough through to win. I guess I should sit with this.

Bloodborne was cool because the Kirkhammer had a fun moveset but whoops it isn't that good a weapon, oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Speaking of old school RPGs, I was thinking about how much Dragons Dogma reminds me of them. Most NPCs all havin that one or 2 line response of you talk to em, but then a random one will have a quest and then you wander around and find a cave with a chest or weird thing in it and note it to figure it out later or in the nearby town.