Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oooh Against the Storm is on sale right now on gog for $20. That might be what I do today

And Rimworld is 20% off too. If anyone's ever wanted to give that a try, the game's better than ever thanks to some free QOL improvements that were introduced alongside the new horror-themed DLC (which is also excellent). There was this expectation that the official Dwarf Fortress steam release was going to eat the game's lunch, but that didn't wind up happening, which I'm glad for because I really like having a scifi-themed colony builder game that's actually good

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

Unless it's always-online garbage, you should be able to specify a previous version in the game's steam properties, check the updates tab

Most Steam games don't offer that as an option; the ones that do are basically hijacking the Betas tab to offer them, but that's a developer going above and beyond rather than something that's normal

The updates tab just lets you specify when you'll update, it doesn't let you select an older version or prevent updates entirely. But I feel like going Offline should let OP keep playing the version that they're on.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

QuarkJets posted:

Oooh Against the Storm is on sale right now on gog for $20. That might be what I do today

And Rimworld is 20% off too. If anyone's ever wanted to give that a try, the game's better than ever thanks to some free QOL improvements that were introduced alongside the new horror-themed DLC (which is also excellent). There was this expectation that the official Dwarf Fortress steam release was going to that didn't wind up happening, which I'm glad for because I really like having a scifi-themed colony builder game that's actually good

Against the Storm is one of my favorite games of all time. Infinitely replayable, so many levels of strategy and planning without being so complicated that it feels like a job. Its so good.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The newest Civ game was most fun on its first patch. It had 2 major "problems" that made the game more fun. First you could send a worker to neutral or enemy lands to extract resources from their tiles. Second bartering and deal making was totally broke , just whackydoo but in a way you could often get to work on in your favour in absurd ways.
.I played on it for a long time and then eventually got some DLC I wanted to try and had to update. I kind of thought I could always easily go back to the original version, but probably not.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

*nervously, into the eerie silence*

D-Dark...Dark Souls!

*the wind echoes back, soft, ethereal*

Discoooo Elyyyysium's writing suuuuuucks

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

agreed, boring af game too. would rather read a decent book.

TBLALV
Aug 5, 2022
Rimworld has a ton of interesting stuff that I will never explore because I don't like playing mean people in video games

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

D-Dark...Dark Souls!

"It was in that silence where they realized in horror that the oft repeated unpopular opinions became popular. And they spoke no more."

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

TBLALV posted:

Rimworld has a ton of interesting stuff that I will never explore because I don't like playing mean people in video games

I haven't played since Ideology because it wanted me to make so many decisions right off the bat and it seemed like a lot of it was "restrict yourself to a certain playstyle" poo poo and I just lost interest. Good job Rimworld, you managed to turn yourself into the colony sim equivalent of arriving at a huge hub city in the first 10 minutes of an RPG

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

TBLALV posted:

I never play evil characters in video games either and the closest I can get is highly retributive to those that wronged me. Which is why I don't balk at torturing imprisoned raiders in Rimworld.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

D-Dark...Dark Souls!

Trying to reignite the endless painful cycle of this thread are you? I guess I know which Dark Souls endings you pick.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I just re-installed Disco Elysium to give it another shot but honestly I'm more interested in hauling logs through a Russian bog.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Rimworld is the ugliest thing any human ever created in history until prison architect, or vice versa.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i liked disco elysium in that a lot of fun RPGs have lovely combat so they simply got rid of the combat. If only it came out before games like Torment: tides of numenera

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

PookBear posted:

i liked disco elysium in that a lot of fun RPGs have lovely combat so they simply got rid of the combat. If only it came out before games like Torment: tides of numenera

*gloamingly* I....***AGREE*** with this...hmm...sentiment

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

...!

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
why haven't we Bleem!ed up the thread title yet

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TBLALV posted:

Yeah probably 80% of the mechanics in rimworld are warcrimes

But it's also a legit playstyle to just raise a family on your pot farm/muffalo ranch and I respect the game for having those kinds of options

e: In my most recent game a bunch of 11 year-olds showed up asking for beer that they were going to use to "save" their "friend" by getting the guards at a raider camp drunk

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 8, 2024

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

TBLALV posted:

Was going through the old Knights of the Old Republic games recently and it’s really apparent that playing a mean person is just entirely tacked on and nonsensical, especially in the first. They were some of the earliest games that really made a big fuss in their marketing campaigns about “moral choice” and making it a centerpiece of the gameplay and what not, but they are designed entirely around being nice. Mean characters have to do the exact same things as nice ones despite having zero incentive or reason to do so. You still have to work for the “good guys” and fight the “bad guys” and go on a quest to save the world. And all the other characters just have to awkwardly stare at the floor and ignore you whenever you behead an orphan and their puppy to steal $3.23 while laughing maniacally and openly gloating to them about the power of the dark side. The main character arc literally doesn’t happen if you’re evil, and the evil endings are basically a smash cut to credits because there’s no way to reconcile the obviously written for nice guy story with a mean ending.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I remember feeling like you were given way less game to actually play in kotor if you were evil. Like major side quests could be ended at step 1 with you robbing some grandma instead of herding her nerfs. I think it was well over a decade until I was convinced to try playing an evil character again in a game

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I remember the evil ending of kotor being about ruling the galaxy with your billions of spaceships and hot Jedi wife

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
Fable had a ton of shortcomings, but at least they didn't make the evil route a less satisfactory experience than the good route. Unless I'm remembering wrong, there was either equal or almost-equal exclusive content for both routes

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The evil route of kotor also lavished you with praise from the cool assassinbot, a far better reward than the lame good guy outcomes which were all some variation of a grandma telling you what a good boy you are and offering you a candy from her pocket

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Hades 2 kicks rear end so far. The combat feels a lot more deliberate and less spammy, though it's still fast paced. They reworked they magic system so that it's used for all 3 of your attack types, just when you fully charge them, making each weapon feel a lot more dynamic than the ones from the first.

I sure can't wait for the rest of you joyless assholes to jump in and start complaining about the character portraits.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

*gloamingly* I....***AGREE*** with this...hmm...sentiment

I too do not understand the concept of italics

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I don't understand why isometric reading games have text in a dumb box at the bottom when Disco showed the world that the *proper* way to display text is in a column on the right side of the screen.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

the methadone clinic stopped letting me in after I explained what my addiction really was (telling people that I hate Hades because the character portraits are too titillating)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

D-Dark...Dark Souls!

WHH linking the first flame with this post lol

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

hades 1 is too basic to actually be properly satisfying

spelunky is the most powerful roguelite but is only for powerful and sturdy gamers

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If Hades 2 is still a roguelite its still a bad game, dont need any other evidence

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I got Hades 2 and the character portraits are cool, I'm just not that into it though. I have all the weapons unlocked but every run with a given weapon feels identical, I don't really remember the first game that well but I don't remember all the boons being so samey, they're all just different flavors of 'your attack/special/cast deals extra damage'. I don't care about the story and dialog which I suppose is the main draw of the game but that's nothing new for me I'm always uninterested in that stuff. It just got pretty monotonous after 4-5 hours when every single upgrade is the same as all the other upgrades.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 8, 2024

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
They should just finish making Hades 2 instead of charging people to beta test it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Early Access came into existence when someone realized that beta testing is a thing that people actually enjoy doing and may be willing to pay for that privilege. And that's the truth; I beta tested a ton of poo poo as a kid and enjoyed all of it, I wouldn't have paid for any of it because I was a child but it's understandable that a bunch of MBA parasites in a board room would figure out how to prey on that nostalgia. If this was the 1990s Hades 2 "early access" would be something you apply for on a HTML page for free

One of the games I tested, Command & Conquer: Sole Survivor, was probably the oldest directly-traceable ancestor of DOTA and all games like it that I can think of - you were in the normal C&C isometric perspective but you controlled 1 unit, and you'd get upgrades (to things like health, armor, speed, damage, fire rate, etc.) by finding and picking up randomly spawning crates on the map, and it had a deathmatch mode and a CTF mode. Not truly a member of the MOBA genre but you can see clear expressions of several of the genre's most important genes

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Good vs Evil choices in games like KOTOR write one story and then provide two outcomes to each story beat.

So you'll save someone's cat from fire and then inexplicably extort them for money, or you'll leave saying badbye.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I enjoyed the game for what it was, but Hades character designs were mid, expecting nothing more or less than that for 2 as well.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Seems awfully explicable, payment due for services rendered

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Devils Affricate posted:

Hades 2 kicks rear end so far. The combat feels a lot more deliberate and less spammy, though it's still fast paced. They reworked they magic system so that it's used for all 3 of your attack types, just when you fully charge them, making each weapon feel a lot more dynamic than the ones from the first.

I sure can't wait for the rest of you joyless assholes to jump in and start complaining about the character portraits.

Can you squee over the shipping in this one?

EDIT: I think they look quite nice, this time around, but I'll probably pass considering the original was a 6/10 for me.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Devils Affricate posted:

Hades 2 kicks rear end so far. The combat feels a lot more deliberate and less spammy

This sounds great, the spaminess of Hades combat is the worst but also I'm back to 6 games of dota per day so meh

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Vic posted:

Good vs Evil choices in games like KOTOR write one story and then provide two outcomes to each story beat.

So you'll save someone's cat from fire and then inexplicably extort them for money, or you'll leave saying badbye.

in Bioware games, good is the intended way to finish the story, and evil is the funny way to finish the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Evil is always more fun than good.