Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Literally every game is played best on the hardest difficulty with no HUD if you play any other way you are a weak child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

DICTATOR OF FUNK posted:

bethesda games bore the gently caress out of me; the longest i've ever made it was skyrim and that was like a collective 20 hours of gameplay

Skyrim is what made me so reluctant to play Fallout 4. It's ridiculous how much they've nerfed, oversimplified and generally dumbed down the franchise where you could once fly, climb sheer walls, bash down doors, rig your own trial so a massacre goes unpunished and cast spells big enough to fry entire towns.

But now you get dual wield! And there's dragons!

I swear, if the next game is just another you're-the-chosen-one-gotta-kill-the-dragonking I'm not even going to bother looking at it. Just consign it to the dustbin like fallout.

vvv yeah, that's the long and short of it.

phasmid fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 14, 2017

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

phasmid posted:

Skyrim is what made me so reluctant to play Fallout 4. It's ridiculous how much they've nerfed, oversimplified and generally dumbed down the franchise where you could once fly, climb sheer walls, bash down doors, rig your own trial so a massacre goes unpunished and cast spells big enough to fry entire towns.

But now you get dual wield! And there's dragons!

I swear, if the next game is just another you're-the-chosen-one-gotta-kill-the-dragonking I'm not even going to bother looking at it. Just consign it to the dustbin like fallout.

all bethesda games since morrowind, except skyrim with its visuals, have been a tremendous step back

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Eighty Seven posted:

Final Fantasy 7 had half-assed graphics, even for the time.

Sonic wasn't good before or after Sonic Adventure 2 on Dreamcast.

I came here to post pretty much these exactly. Not only were FF7's graphics really underwhelming 99% of the time, the sound was tinny crap. Why? They had three discs and no voice acting, why couldn't they use less awful music compression?

As for Sonic, yeah. The Genesis games were always fun for a zone or two so it was fun to pick up and play at a friend's house or whatever, but the later worlds were all designed so you couldn't really run at all. At that point it's like you're just playing an extended series of bad ice levels, since Sonic's inertia and wonky jumping made positioning hard. Adventure 2 really nailed the "flow" that Sonic games seemed like they should have, and the other characters' levels were fun too instead of the fishing and "go through the same level but with a worse character" stuff from Adventure.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Okami was beautiful but I got bored with it and stopped halfway through because of repetitive gameplay

Still a very pretty game tho

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

final fantasy 8 owned, legitimately

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
People who think morrowind was a good game have some serious rose colored glasses.

Dr. Scheme
Apr 28, 2013

Half Life 2 is boring.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i hope bethsoft licenses a Fallout spinoff to Obsidian again, because the gulf in quality between F3 and F:NV was frankly loving ridiculous. The worst part of F:NV were the things they couldn't get rid of from F3, like old assets and the game engine itself.

I liked skyrim though. Yeah its a very stupid, poorly written game but it's maybe the best world bethesda has ever constructed.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DICTATOR OF FUNK posted:

bethesda games bore the gently caress out of me; the longest i've ever made it was skyrim and that was like a collective 20 hours of gameplay

My favorite thing about bethesda games is when I talk about my lack of enjoyment of them occasionally I'll see someone go "no see, you're not playing it right, you just need to install *lists dozens of mods that fix bugs and make the game actually playable*"

Why do these games need so many loving mods for poo poo, I want to install the game and just loving play it, but I'm aware of the hypocrisy because I absolutely love the Gothic games but they've always needed a community patch or two to iron poo poo out particularly the clusterfuck that was Gothic 3

also gothic 2 has one of the best designed RPG worlds ever

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Blue Raider posted:

final fantasy 8 owned, legitimately

Seriously, yeah. It has its warts but I wish more big budget games were that weird.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

basic hitler posted:

i hope bethsoft licenses a Fallout spinoff to Obsidian again, because the gulf in quality between F3 and F:NV was frankly loving ridiculous. The worst part of F:NV were the things they couldn't get rid of from F3, like old assets and the game engine itself.

Yeah. Obsidian of all companies made the best Fallout. The only thing I remember really detesting in that game was that mountains were often unscalable. Oh, and cazadores.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl and Morrowind are two of the worst games ever made. The fact that no one plays them without mods that massively overhaul core mechanics is proof of this.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Final Fantasy 10 is one of the better Final Fantasy games. Not the best, but definitely better than Final Fantasy 7.

Yes, the main character sucks. So what? The alcoholic sword-guy is cool and so is the blond kid's abusive dad.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

perfect dark is better than goldeneye

Bobmuffins
Oct 10, 2016

DmC: Devil May Cry is really good, actually. like just ignore the mediocre plot and pretend the main character's name isn't actually dante and it's a lot of fun. best combat in any game i've played so far kind of fun, in fact.

also, VANQUISH is the most raw fun in any game ever and there's no good reason for it to not have a sequel. it between absolutely insane mountains of trash enemies to a kick-rear end boss battle and back with absolutely no downtime. like it's actually a tragedy that revengance is the "comically over the top sci-fi game" that comes to everyone's mind instead of VANQUISH because it just owned that much. also, sanic speed powerslides owns hard

Bobmuffins fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 14, 2017

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Monos Bullet posted:

Majora's Mask is the best Zelda

Only good zelda

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
racing games are great

anything from a kart racer to a hardcore nerd driving sim, it's all good

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Agreed that Majora's Mask is the best zelda.

b-b-b-but the time limit!
:qqsay::qqsay:

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Malcolm in the middle 3d was better than ocarina

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Nonviolent J posted:

Malcolm in the middle 3d was better than ocarina

Malcolm in the Middle pt. 4.5 gaiden was the best

Baka gaijin call it breaking bad

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Thesis: Strife is the best Doom-like and was a trailblazer for the whole RPG/FPS fusion genre.

Antithesis: Voice acting is harmful in open world games since it necessarily shrinks your world (or makes the inevitable repetitive sameness much more "in your face")

Synthesis: Deus Ex is the best game ever made.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Having a lovely camera and controls like Dark Souls and Ninja Gaiden doesn't add to the challenge in a good way and just makes the game garbage.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

voiced RPGs are fine as long as they're not sandbox RPGs. If you try to be a sandbox exploration game like fallout, it's a dogshit world shrinking bad idea done for people who are absolutely the most retarded demographic within games players, the ones who are averse to reading things.

however if you're going for something more story driven, voicing works fine. See, The Witcher 3.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Super Mario Land 2 is the worst Mario game by a wide margin. Compared to the first one the sprites/environments are much higher res so the view is all zoomed in and you can barely see anything ahead of you. As a consequence the level design is boring as poo poo and it's basically impossible to screw up ever, except on the boss fights maybe

Also Xenogears disc 2 is unironically extremely good.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

oh and Spartan: Total Warrior is the best Total War game

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I liked some aspects of Age of Empires 1 more than Age of Empires 2

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Adding in explicitly LGBT characters does not add to a videogame in anyway. And is often used as a distraction off a poo poo game.
Same but heteros

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

overwatch is the poor man's, nay, homeless man's with his cardboard sign and duct tape shoes, team fortress 2

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Overwatch is good.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

false

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah

like a cigarette should posted:

I liked some aspects of Age of Empires 1 more than Age of Empires 2

sort of along these lines, star wars galactic battlegrounds is one of the best video games ever made and the only good thing about the prequels besides battlefront 2

Toilet Shoes
Aug 22, 2016

by Lowtax
Smash Puss, not buttons on a controller.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Link's Awakening is the best Zelda game and it's a crime that it's not given much of a thought by fans of the series. it's amazing how much they crammed into a Game Boy game that came out in the middle of the console's lifespan

Crash Team Racing is the pinnacle of the kart racing genre, and the reason why nobody has made a racing adventure game since then is because it's impossible to make a better one

at the same time, nintendo should at least try to top it and make the next F-Zero a racing adventure

sinking belle posted:

Super Mario Land 2 is the worst Mario game by a wide margin. Compared to the first one the sprites/environments are much higher res so the view is all zoomed in and you can barely see anything ahead of you. As a consequence the level design is boring as poo poo and it's basically impossible to screw up ever, except on the boss fights maybe
nah, SML1 was worse because everything is small as poo poo and the fireballs bounce all hosed up. and i hated Space Land's boss as a kid

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
super mario land was like smb2 with the different world, but there was no doki panic this time and no one gave a gently caress

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

my three top zeldas are lttp, links awakening, and ocarina. links awakening is outstanding but it aint no lttp

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
If you are above the age of 13 and still playing Pokemon, just kill yourself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Dr.Smasher posted:

*every girl age 18-26 spontaneously combusts*

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Super Mario Brothers 2 is the best Mario game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Dr.Smasher posted:

what if you only play the games that were released before you were 13