Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Age of Empires 2 is the best drat RTS of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

TwoStepBoog posted:

Red Alert 2 is the best drat RTS of all time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fruit on the bottom posted:

And yet you liked Dragon Age 2 :confused:

DA2 doesn't flagrantly waste your time like Planescape Torment.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl and Morrowind are two of the worst games ever made. The fact that no one plays them without mods that massively overhaul core mechanics is proof of this.

STALKER 1 is perfectly fine out of the box. The sequels are straight up broken garbage that require mods and fan patches to be playable for more than a few hours before fatal crashes set in - I think you couldn't play Clear Sky out of the box because there was a 95% chance you wouldn't be able to leave the first area. Like, you had to complete everything in the first area, then go to the exit and hope you were allowed to leave, or else you had to start a new file and repeat. Quality.

Morrowind is old as gently caress and needs patches because people had tiny square monitors back in 2002 and 1080p is nice to look at, and if you're doing a bunch of fan patches you might as well add some mods to make it look more modern. It was a fine game out of the box when it came out.

True opinions: Oblivion's quests are better than Skyrim's quests, Oblivion has better combat and magic, and Oblivion's voice acting is better than Skyrim's.

The FPS genre has gone downhill since Hexen.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Final Fantasy 10 is one of the better Final Fantasy games. Not the best, but definitely better than Final Fantasy 7.

Yes, the main character sucks. So what? The alcoholic sword-guy is cool and so is the blond kid's abusive dad.

FFX is pretty dang good

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Best zeldas were the SNES one and Zelda 2 on NES

I never played a zelda game after the gamecube windwaker one though but I'm confident in saying the above regardless

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Nonviolent J posted:

what if you only play the games that were released before you were 13

You've grown up, stop playing video games for children

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the metro games are some of the best narrative FPSs available

I know this is the unpopular opinion thread but they need some propers

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Best zeldas were the SNES one and Zelda 2 on NES

I never played a zelda game after the gamecube windwaker one though but I'm confident in saying the above regardless

everything after majoras mask sucked royal

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
oh yeah I never played Majoras mask so no judgement or opinion on that other than every game I played on my friends N64 in HS seemed like complete loving poo poo.

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah
oracle of ages and oracle of seasons are massively under-appreciated and were technological marvels for their time

if you had 2 gameboys and a link cable (OR A FRIEND LOL YEAH RIGHT) you could fundamentally change the play of both games and their stories, and each one had like 3 different endings

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
I do not regret playing World of Warcraft or MMOs in general

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Dr.Smasher posted:

You've grown up, stop playing video games for children

what if im a manbaby and i think metal is for babies and metalpocolypse is a cartoon for children

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

oh yeah I never played Majoras mask so no judgement or opinion on that other than every game I played on my friends N64 in HS seemed like complete loving poo poo.

goldeneye, you gently caress

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Nonviolent J posted:

what if im a manbaby and i think metal is for babies and metalpocolypse is a cartoon for children

lol

I've just been too lazy to update that. Show went downhill and I haven't found anything worth spending five bux or whatever on.

I haven't pissed anyone off enough to get big red letters or gotten Doug'd.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Pick posted:

Planescape Torment is a good book that sort-of has a game attached

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

"open world" is a really bad trend for game design and should have remained a niche

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Bayou Billy was the best Castlevania.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
People who get into "retro games" and can't play them on an emulator or Raspberry Pi 3 are weird and goony. Cool having tons of old plastic poo poo and a giant-rear end TV in your house because your bitch-made-rear end excuse is you can't enjoy games properly without an old controller. LMAO.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

"open world" is a really bad trend for game design and should have remained a niche
I agree with this for many modern games.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
if you dont have any attatchment to the console you shouldnt play it

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
playstation was the best I remember my dad being high as gently caress on meth and just smashing mine onto the floor because it was handy when he was mad at my mom when my sister her and I moved away into some small apartment to escape his depravity and then she ordered one on fingerhut to replace it then she went bankrupt :thumbsup:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
No one understood Jurassic park : Trespasser was supposed to be a satire of the reagan era of politics.

A shame really.

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
Video games, 99 times out of a hundred, are not art.

This is especially true of 'arty' video games.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Far Cry 2 is the best in the series

SpaceClown fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 12, 2017

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Total Annihilation is the best RTS ever*. It's at least 10x better than StarCraft, and 100x better than any of the C&C games.

I also agree with that goon who said that Crash Team Racing is the best Kart racer.

*When it comes to gameplay. SC has the better story, but who plays games for story?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
The last guardian was a horrible lovely game

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

xenosaga iii took the series to being better than xenogears in almost every way. final fantasy xii was the best final fantasy since ix. castlevania (the first one) is a clunky piece of poo poo that hasn't aged well at all. sonic the hedgehog 1-3 and sonic and knuckles kick mario's rear end. rayman 2 is better than mario 64 and banjo.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
at least act like you believe your own lies

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Doom 2 is better than Doom 1

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

goldeneye and perfect dark are both clunky pieces of poo poo beloved only by console children who didn't get to play doom, quake, jedi knight and unreal.

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

Dr.Smasher posted:

lol

I've just been too lazy to update that. Show went downhill and I haven't found anything worth spending five bux or whatever on.

I haven't pissed anyone off enough to get big red letters or gotten Doug'd.

getting doug'd loving owns idiot it's for the cool posters

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

Zorodius posted:

Planescape Torment is a good book that sort-of has a game attached

planescape has a very overrated story

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

KiteAuraan posted:

goldeneye and perfect dark are both clunky pieces of poo poo beloved only by console children who didn't get to play doom, quake, jedi knight and unreal.

i understand your bias, i went from wolfenstein to consoles so i never injected wads and i never looked back

consoles had dom and quake and a mouse is a fucktool

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Pick posted:

Liking DA2 is indeed an unpopular opinion, because it's hot poo poo garbage. It's a borderline troll opinion.

sick brunch kills
Nov 18, 2016

Brunch DJ goin' hard as fuck

This avatar brought to you by the Lowtax Needs a New Spine Fund

Eighty Seven posted:

Deus Ex wasn't as good as Deus Ex Human Revolution

Zorodius posted:

The original Deus Ex is a bad game. Human Revolution, however, is a marked improvement in every way.

:wtc:

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I don't like retro gaming and despite growing up with both have no desire to play a nes or snes game again with the exception of playing A Link to the Past every five years or so.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Starcraft and starcraft 2 (including expansions) are bad games.

oblique
Sep 20, 2001

Like me, they have no way to go but up.
dark souls games are very bad and i worry for the mental health of those who enjoy them
call of duty is totally fine
zelda from oot on has been absolutely miserable
sierra's point-and-click adventure games were better than lucasarts'
icewind dale was more fun than baldur's gate
mechwarrior 2 was better than mercenaries
the witcher 2 wasn't hard at all even prior to any patches
final fantasy 8 is the best one
world of warcraft is a wonderful affirmation of life
super mario sunshine was loving great

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

oblique posted:

icewind dale was more fun than baldur's gate

The Neverwinter Nights 1 campaign was enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dark Souls becomes unfun after one-and-a-half playthroughs, unless you mod the poo poo out of it.

I will never understand the people who speedrun them on a daily basis.