Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Nice Van My Man posted:

To be honest I never played The Room past the halfway point. It was my first SH and I thought it was pretty neat, then a few years later I played SH3 instead for some reason (it was pretty good at the time).

i am a worthless bitch from hell

PLEASE gently caress me in the face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
What a page snipe!

Devils Affricate posted:

Let's see your biggest factory

I'm still stuck at the tutorial

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vic posted:

I'm one step ahead and use Playnite which lets me integrate stuff like mod managers and emulators.

Speaking of which let's check my most played games:

I see you've played a lot of Grand Theft Auto: the last good one

Not sure about this Elden Ring game though, it sounds like a sex game for old people

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Elden Ring + Rimworld = go to horny jail

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

Let's see your biggest factory

Whoa you cant just lead with that, at least buy them dinner first

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I don't know why they call it Silent Hill, the soundtrack is pretty friggin loud!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

hey, you know what i like about the game ELDEN RING

there's another ELDEN RING coming out this loving june

now that's what i like to call SKYRIM

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

GAMES: LIVE 2024

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Archer666 posted:

I don't know why they call it Silent Hill, the soundtrack is pretty friggin loud!

i literally went to see yamaoka play live and yes, it was cringe.

sorry, it just was. he had some corny singing lady doing all the vocal songs in english and he was yukking up every solo. i left after 30 minutes. it basically killed my love for silent hill.

don't go see akira yamaoka live.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!
Hey, have you guys heard of this fantasy series called Dark Souls? I really think it's a hidden gem.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

roomtone posted:

sorry, it just was. he had some corny singing lady doing all the vocal songs in english and he was yukking up every solo. i left after 30 minutes. it basically killed my love for silent hill.

don't go see akira yamaoka live.

You are even more cringe for even going to that concert or whatever the gently caress you're talking about

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm gonna go to a video game music concert and then be surprised when it's cringy, because I am the only person there who didn't know what I was actually attending lol

Like going to a ren faire and then acting offended motherfuckers are dressed like hobbits.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Hey, have you guys heard of this fantasy series called Dark Souls? I really think it's a hidden gem.

im interested

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 21 days!)

I went to lords of the sound a lotr concert and only cringe thing besides the voiceovers was that nobody was dressing up like a dwarf. And the background imagery was nightmare fuel

haddedam fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 29, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Did Diablo 4 remove Diablo 3's quick equip shortcut for upgrading your gear versus what you found on the ground? What the hell???

haddedam posted:

I went to lords of the sound a lotr concert and only cringe thing besides the voiceovers was that nobody was dressing up like a dwarf. And the background imagery was nightmare fuel

Gonna need more details.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
I wish my brain would let me enjoy a game for that long. I think the most hours I have spent on a single game would be around 200+ from back when I still played MMOs. Elden ring, BG3 and factorio are the only games in recent memory I put 100+ hours in. Usually I consider a game to be really really good if I can spend 20+ hours playing it without losing interest.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive put a lot of hours into directly competitive games, but anything thats PvE 60 hours is where my brain starts going "hey we gotta start wrapping this up" no matter how fun it was before.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm the opposite, the idea of sinking many many hours into directly competitive games seems like just more work to me and I'd much rather put work into something that isn't just a video game honestly. I'm not saying I don't get the appeal, it just isn't for me.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
I've only ever been able to put a ton of time into slow-paced, dense RPGs like the King's Field series or the OG Dark Souls or, like, Daggerfall or Morrowind or some poo poo.

We should've stopped making RPGs after those, too. gently caress Elden Boss Rush it's bad >:C

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Putting a thousand hours into a game like Kerbal Space Program was pretty easy for me, but otherwise all my big timesink games have been competitive FPS style games. The accessability of being able to play a few rounds every night let me sink wayyyyy too many hours into some pretty dumb games. Ironically, games like Destiny 2 which are designed to be huge timesinks, never really clicked for me because it was it too much work/coordination with internet strangers to do the higher level content

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm the opposite, the idea of sinking many many hours into directly competitive games seems like just more work to me and I'd much rather put work into something that isn't just a video game honestly. I'm not saying I don't get the appeal, it just isn't for me.

I also had a very serious (and unintentional) Come-To-Jesus moment about how much time I'd dumped into video games and how I'd used them as an avoidant-drug, and it was like the receptors in my brain stopped receiving video game signals.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

Ironically, games like Destiny 2 which are designed to be huge timesinks, never really clicked for me because it was it too much work/coordination with internet strangers to do the higher level content

Precisely why I could never get into MMORPGs despite really wanting to. Closest I ever got was joining up with goonswarm in EVE, mostly because there wasn't really any coordination there, just alcohol and vibes, the way god intended.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

roomtone posted:

I went, but only metaphorically.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
As someone who has put 8000 hours into Dota 2 I just got a wee chuckle, I've seeen people with 35,000 - 40,000 hours which puts it into perspective - as much as I loved Dota I always wanted to play a bit of everything

it always makes me feel a wee bit sad when peoples sentiment is that they struggle to enjoy games anymore, I mean that might be totally valid but I always like to think you've just not found something that hits with you - whether its speedrunning, grinding retro achivements, MOBAS or just going gently caress it, i'm going to play through every single first person shooter ever made.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I want to enjoy games more than I do. I don't think I will ever finish a jrpg again.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

I don't know, I heard the 2nd or possibly 3rd ones were bad but haven't seen any discussion to confirm/deny. I don't want to get invested in a series that goes off the rails.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I've seeen people with 35,000 - 40,000 hours

how? that's like 10 hours a day for 10 years. no jobs no life whatsoever? isn't the game like 10 years old?

i was thinking about WoW and how most people measured time in days played and if you were under 100 you hadn't really played that much.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Waltzing Along posted:

how? that's like 10 hours a day for 10 years. no jobs no life whatsoever? isn't the game like 10 years old?

i was thinking about WoW and how most people measured time in days played and if you were under 100 you hadn't really played that much.

I mean at that amount of hours you are talking professional players and streamers

For reference its 11 years old which works out to about 20,000 hours in a 9-5 job, stick in another 2 years for people who played during the beta

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

When they first added hour counters I thought that was a huge mistake because people would be emberrassed/depressed by how many hours they've wasted. I'm suprised how many people aren't disturbed every time they look at their play hours.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Nice Van My Man posted:

When they first added hour counters I thought that was a huge mistake because peope would be emberrassed/depressed by how many hours they've wasted. I'm suprised how many people aren't disturbed every time they look at their play hours.

i'd honestly get more depressed about the roughly 30,000 hours i've spent in an office job

edit: lmao thank gently caress it doesn't come with an hour count

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've heard it takes roughly 30,000 hours to master an instrument or some sort of thing like that. Based on that, I should be pretty close to mastering poo poo-posting.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
I'd be more concerned with gametime counters if 99% of my highest-played-by-time games weren't that way because they bundled a launcher that sits in your system tray for 20+ hours a day and still counts as playtime on Steam unless you remember to close it or put your computer to sleep.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Does standing on the mailbox outside the bank in ogrimmar and dancing count as play time?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

I've heard it takes roughly 30,000 hours to master an instrument or some sort of thing like that. Based on that, I should be pretty close to mastering poo poo-posting.

Maxwell Gladwell famously said it takes 10,000 hours of concentrated practice to become a master at something. Its kinda/sorta bullshit because what defined concentrated practice in a video game?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

JollyBoyJohn posted:

As someone who has put 8000 hours into Dota 2 I just got a wee chuckle, I've seeen people with 35,000 - 40,000 hours which puts it into perspective - as much as I loved Dota I always wanted to play a bit of everything

it always makes me feel a wee bit sad when peoples sentiment is that they struggle to enjoy games anymore, I mean that might be totally valid but I always like to think you've just not found something that hits with you - whether its speedrunning, grinding retro achivements, MOBAS or just going gently caress it, i'm going to play through every single first person shooter ever made.

Anyone with 35k-40k hours in DOTA 2 has spent a lot of those hours idling. Or sharing their account for some reason, I guess.

Vampire Panties posted:

Maxwell Gladwell famously said it takes 10,000 hours of concentrated practice to become a master at something. Its kinda/sorta bullshit because what defined concentrated practice in a video game?

It's utter bullshit and an arbitrary number. It's useful as a statement to emphasize that it takes practice to be good at any task - but as a blanket statement it's pretty easily misinterpreted.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
And some people can't get better at certain things no matter how hard they try. Like eating, I've eaten for over 10,000 hours total by now but anytime I do it all still comes out looking like poo poo after.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think it is based on a couple hours of practice every day for 30 years.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

kntfkr posted:

I want to enjoy games more than I do. I don't think I will ever finish a jrpg again.

Something about a weird melodrama with cute little sprites worked for me.

Playing final fantasy 15 is like, the gently caress is this lame rear end poo poo.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
JRPGs seem to be transitioning into weird digital cooking simulators and I don't know why.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Good, cooking systems are always a plus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i'd honestly get more depressed about the roughly 30,000 hours i've spent in an office job

edit: lmao thank gently caress it doesn't come with an hour count

I work from home now so they're the same thing don't tell my boss.