Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Justin Godscock posted:

I hear that, I played Dino Crisis not that long ago and whenever I would hit a puzzle I'd try to figure it out for a few minutes. If I couldn't figure it out, I went online for the solution so I could keep playing.

I'm sorry, I don't have time for "git gud" kind of stuff anymore.

there's a big difference between "git gud" and "solve this bizarre rear end puzzle that was made by a crunch-maddened dev who has been using pizza and caffeine as a sleep substitute and hates you because you're indirectly the reason he hasn't seen his family in six weeks"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Playing a blacksmith in an mmorpg has no longevity except for already extremely broken-brained players, who are so few and far between that there's not much point in appealing to them directly.

opinion: yohoho puzzle pirates was the very best mmorpg because it solved this by forcing you to rely on other people for getting tasks done and making every task fun (they were all different puzzle games so making rope wasn't inherently less fun than killing skeletons)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

I bought the new mario and that game is not for adults. They have some mild platforming challenge levels but otherwise hold no real value for somebody with any experience at all. Its just completely unengageing besides that aesthetic that only gets you so far. Nintendo adults are kidding themselves.

I agree with this post overall but I've been playing Metroid dread recently and it's cool

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm only playing Metroid dread because I'm watching the Castlevania anime and the first 2 seasons had me thinking "this is pretty cool I should play a Castlevania game again" and then I got to the 3rd season and went "lmao nevermind maybe a different Metroidvania"

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Metroid Dread is an OK game but I should not have paid 50 quid for it.

Castlevania anime is more boring than playing a non rom hack version of simons quest

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

SilvergunSuperman posted:

syphon filter was always the greater game anyway

Single stick movement with lock-on and a Taser that set bros on fire?

lit af

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

there's a big difference between "git gud" and "solve this bizarre rear end puzzle that was made by a crunch-maddened dev who has been using pizza and caffeine as a sleep substitute and hates you because you're indirectly the reason he hasn't seen his family in six weeks"

It is very difficult to make puzzles that are intuitive enough that players aren't just sitting there and going "What the gently caress am I even doing?" but obfuscated enough that the average player has to put some actual thought into it. Game companies used to go way too far toward random nonsense to pad out their length and now are way too far toward calling pushing a button that has a spotlight shining on it at the end of the path you.can follow "a puzzle".

I lol at the people who complain about the Shakespeare puzzle in that one Silent Hill game. "I play video games! I don't know basic concepts taught in middle school about the five most popular works by a cornerstone of world culture!"

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

World culture? Anglo-culture maybe.

0 Shakelikespeares read and proud.
I have seen Romeo Must Die-movie though. That counts?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I don't think Shakespeare is required reading outside of the UK?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Issaries posted:

World culture? Anglo-culture maybe.

0 Shakelikespeares read and proud.
I have seen Romeo Must Die-movie though. That counts?

Why don't you play a shakespearelike you uncultured swine

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1318970/This_Way_Madness_Lies/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256910646/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1665673449

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

And this is the problem with mmorpgs in general: pretty much everyone wants to be the biggest badass and that's so loving boring, and that's the main reason that Ultima Online was the only MMORPG that was a) good and b) actually an RPG.

The world needed real people to play blacksmiths. In order to get your gear repaired, you had to hand it over to an actual person that may or may not just run away with it. So if you were playing a smith you had to build up a reputation as being good at your job and also not a thief. People would talk about you and recommend you. So you'd be given the equipment and a pile of money to repair someone's gear. This was a viable way to play the game and earn enough to buy property., and was also a lot of fun.

RPGs are only fun if everyone plays their role, and that means that sometimes you're not the biggest, baddest guy kicking rear end in the room. I earned my first million (more than enough to buy a house) in UO by offering my services as an 'epic poet' that would chronicle the adventures of heroes going into dungeons and fighting monsters into a book - and the game (at one point) supported player-written books becoming things that just existed in-game and could be bought from NPCs. At one point I ran the world's first mmorpg restaurant. I had real people logging in to play staff to random people turning up.

Lots of us as guild leaders used to club together to come up with storylines that would be fun for the hundreds of people in our community and it was almost always fun for everyone involved (a couple of ego clashes happened sometimes, but 95% of the time it was pretty seamless).

I don't think it's possible for that kind of experience to exist ever again.

I feel like if VR is ever going to be more than a novelty, it'll take a big persistent world game like UO where everything is done by players the hard way in a world where they can build something of their own for people to cohabitate in the world with, like your restaurant.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
re mmo menial jobs

Being a big hero is a menial job in an mmo. You're grinding out raids and dungeons on a treadmill.

There could totally be a bunch of player driven professions where the main challenge is some kind of a card game, a puzzle game, business sim or something else.

Plenty of untapped potential there.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Kinda hard to make that stuff as visually satisfying as combat, even if the mechanics are functionally the same for the player.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
My man have you played Tetris

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If an mmo tried to put even a little bit of gameplay into a crafting interface then that would be something, but the people who want to use a crafting system don't want that.

The only way to win is to not implement crafting in your video game

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Think you need to go a lot further than a little mini game or reusing MMO combat mechanics for crafting stuff. For starters, even full blown crafting games almost all rely on menu style shopping list crafting system and severely struggle with making crafting fun and not just part of the routine.

Adding another chore to crafting in an MMO wouldn't help. The real "fun" of crafting is to participate in the economy. Some people just play WoW as an economy game, there are programs to tell you the prices of different items on different servers so you can try and make more money more efficiently and when they log in they basically just see spreadsheets and graphs to automate and script their economic activities.

If there's one thing MMOs do well it's creating supply and demand issues to wrestle with.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

QuarkJets posted:

If an mmo tried to put even a little bit of gameplay into a crafting interface then that would be something, but the people who want to use a crafting system don't want that.

Been saying this for years. At best it's a puzzle that's solved ahead of time, at worst it's just a bunch of extra steps before you get the reward. Is it really that much better to have a boss drop 1xDragonbone, and it requires 1x Dragonbone to make a Dragonsword?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

I bought the new mario and that game is not for adults. They have some mild platforming challenge levels but otherwise hold no real value for somebody with any experience at all. Its just completely unengageing besides that aesthetic that only gets you so far. Nintendo adults are kidding themselves.

The Wii U Mario game (super 3D world, maybe?) was like 95% trivial followed by a turbo ball-busting post game world. The actual 3D Mario games do a better job at being engaging, imo.

QuarkJets posted:

I remember seeing a post on some forum back when WoW was nascent giving Blizzard recommendations about crafting that was like 50% cool ideas and 50% lol videogames don't actually work like that. The part where he mentioned optionally adding a jewel to the hilt of a sword he was hypothetically crafting for his guild leader "as befitting a man of his stature" really stuck with me for the insane cringe factor. Anyway, the best weapon crafting a game has ever had was Phantom Brave.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 11, 2024

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Jubilee turned 18 in 1997 so she is now in her mid 40s so I dunno she probably has joint pain and economic anxiety

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Quote-Unquote posted:

Jubilee turned 18 in 1997 so she is now in her mid 40s so I dunno she probably has joint pain and economic anxiety

But does she think Starfield is good?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

QuarkJets posted:

FF14's crafting is it's own entire thing, with gameplay and crafting character classes and it's own questlines and storylines.

It's not FUN but it's there.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Moon Monster posted:

But does she think Starfield is good?

lol, wrong thread, meant to reply to the xmen thread obviously.

many years late to the party but I played Slay the Spire tonight and it's pretty good. Put off playing this for ages despite getting it free on PSN god knows when - largely because of the terms 'card game' and 'roguelike', both of which make me assume a game sucks (despite loving loads of card-based games that aren't video games). I think Midnight Suns made me realise it's possible for a videogame to have card game stuff that I actually find fun.

Finished all three acts with the first two characters no problem but the third one... drat, I have no idea what I'm doing. Barely beat the first boss then died before the first rest point in the second act. Probably going to end up playing this whenever none of my friends are online for Helldivers.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Vandar posted:

It's not FUN but it's there.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

lol, wrong thread, meant to reply to the xmen thread obviously.

many years late to the party but I played Slay the Spire tonight and it's pretty good. Put off playing this for ages despite getting it free on PSN god knows when - largely because of the terms 'card game' and 'roguelike', both of which make me assume a game sucks (despite loving loads of card-based games that aren't video games). I think Midnight Suns made me realise it's possible for a videogame to have card game stuff that I actually find fun.

Finished all three acts with the first two characters no problem but the third one... drat, I have no idea what I'm doing. Barely beat the first boss then died before the first rest point in the second act. Probably going to end up playing this whenever none of my friends are online for Helldivers.

Either lean heavy into Focus and build a power based deck with as many copies of Storm, Heatsinks, and White Noise as you can find (ideally with Mummified Hand), or toss Focus to the wind and make a fast cycling deck with Claw and Scrape. Take Seek and Reboot whenever you see them, no questions asked. Don't try to make a deck based on Darkness orbs.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Vic posted:

re mmo menial jobs

Being a big hero is a menial job in an mmo. You're grinding out raids and dungeons on a treadmill.

There could totally be a bunch of player driven professions where the main challenge is some kind of a card game, a puzzle game, business sim or something else.

Plenty of untapped potential there.

There was a mmo like that, A Tale in the Desert? IIRC the grind was about fabbing materials to do player-assigned tasks, voting on them nightly, and politicking for laws.

No combat, and apparently it's still running today!

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I confuse Slay the Spire and Spiro the Dragon

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Serephina posted:

There was a mmo like that, A Tale in the Desert? IIRC the grind was about fabbing materials to do player-assigned tasks, voting on them nightly, and politicking for laws.

No combat, and apparently it's still running today!

Lol I played that game way back in the day. The coolest thing I remember from it was how you could make statues out of whatever inventory items you had, and one of the main quests for character advancement was to make a statue that gets at least 30 upvotes from random passersby.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
Say what you will about LA Noire, but goddamn that soundtrack is awesome.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
That MMORPG Horizon or Horizons had combat classes and crafting classes. 100% of what you could buy from stores was on consignment. You had to have crafters make your armor or there simply wasn't armor.

I really enjoyed the game but I only played the first month it was out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I confuse Slay the Spire and Spiro the Dragon

Spiro Agnew was an unusual choice for a platforming mascot, but it worked

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

XeeD posted:

Say what you will about LA Noire, but goddamn that soundtrack is awesome.

I want a sequel so bad. Modern point and click adventure game with GTA open world? Hell yeah

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Was the point of that game that going by your gut on what someone's facial expression might mean is kinda poo poo policing?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

jokes posted:

Been saying this for years. At best it's a puzzle that's solved ahead of time, at worst it's just a bunch of extra steps before you get the reward. Is it really that much better to have a boss drop 1xDragonbone, and it requires 1x Dragonbone to make a Dragonsword?

Has any game gotten crafting right, outside of crafting focused games like 7 Days? Witcher 3 B&W was decent conceptually - there were no unique items required to craft even top level gear, but it was far too grindy unless you already knew what your build was, and what your armor was going to be.

It does feel like either not having crafting at all, or just have it be a very minor afterthought are the better options.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Was the point of that game that going by your gut on what someone's facial expression might mean is kinda poo poo policing?

I actually liked that being a good detective was detrimental to your career, especially when your bosses clearly press you to finding a black culprit to throw under the bus instead of the real arsonist. The game telling you that you failed the mission without even allowing you to press the most important evidence feels bad as a gamer, but it works as a narrative device. That was kinda daring.

Also having an option to press vulnerable innocent women until they break down for no reason was a good cop simulator.

The game tried something but it clearly feels like the game company brass was interfering in the vision, somewhere.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

syphon filter was always the greater game anyway

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

MSPain posted:

opinion: yohoho puzzle pirates was the very best mmorpg because it solved this by forcing you to rely on other people for getting tasks done and making every task fun (they were all different puzzle games so making rope wasn't inherently less fun than killing skeletons)

Yohoho Puzzle Pirates was the best MMORPG because the goon guild was named "The Salty Mouthfuls" and that will never be topped.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Shooting Blanks posted:

Has any game gotten crafting right, outside of crafting focused games like 7 Days? Witcher 3 B&W was decent conceptually - there were no unique items required to craft even top level gear, but it was far too grindy unless you already knew what your build was, and what your armor was going to be.

It does feel like either not having crafting at all, or just have it be a very minor afterthought are the better options.

Pretty much only FF14, and only since that the entire crafting system is commerce-focused. Crafting in a singleplayer game makes basically no sense outside of impressing an executive who is more cocaine than man

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

smashing rocks and making a sword through a menu is infinitely less cool and fun than just picking a sword up off of a dead dragon or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I like it