Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Khanstant posted:

Look I love to poo poo on FPS and make broad dismissive statements about games using it and the people who keep encouraging them to make more of them but calling them unilaterally worse than all mobas is just crazy go nuts. Outer Wilds is first person and they might never make a better videogame than that.

Check this out: Outer Wilds...in 3rd person. BAM! Instantly better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Momentum and gravity are fun to experience in that perspective. Especially when you start moon jumping around a whole tiny planet but accelerate too much and die slamming face first into a rock wall. The main problem with FPS is the S, and the only thing you S is a camera drone/light.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No, the problem with FPS is it isn't a good representation of a body. We know our bodies and where things are in our environment without seeing them. We know where the ground is. We have peripheral vision. Our brains do tons of things so we aren't constantly crashing into things and our hands end up in the right spot. FP(anything) games do not do this well, at all. It is impossible to do, in fact. However, the third person view works fine because we can see the body on the screen doing the thing.

Of course I am being hyperbolic about first person. There are applications where it works just fine. Like The Witness, or to a lesser effect, Portal. Those things share something crucial in common: they are puzzle games where the movement isn't really "playing" the game. Portal has some puzzles where light movement is required, but those are few and far between.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

You're right, first person perspective doesn't work, that's why it's so unpopular

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
first person platforming generally sucks because first person perspective in videogames just lacks a lot of important feedback to make it usable for stuff like that without staring at your toes 24/7
jumping around the planets in outer wilds is fine though. it's fun to explore and to go hurtling around uncontrollably in low-gravity when you get impatient and lean on the jetpack thrusters too much

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
platforming in 3d games sucks regardless of the perspective

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

jokes posted:

Same, and it wasn't very fun.

even playing it as a wc3 match devolved into screaming roommates. We ditched that poo poo for Halo and never looked back

FPS is most fun when there's a movement gimmick, like the tribes jetpack or the portal gun.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm a bit curious why you hate mobas with such a spitting passion, most other folk give me a wee chuckle, especially Ceasar but you post about them in such an aggressive way. I'm all for a good gimmick post but you cross the line into personal attacks a bit much.

:shrug: I don't. The only time that I even remember that mobas exist is when you post in this thread to talk about how much of a hopeless dota2 junkie you are. If you think this post is full of "spitting passion" then I don't know what to say other than you have brainworms

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Portal has some puzzles where light movement is required, but those are few and far between.

Portal 1 maybe, for the first half of the game. The latter half and most of 2 are very kinetic games though, particularly once they add the gels.

First person traversal has been done well heaps of times and third person can also be done poorly. And really, when I think of when I've watched someone play a 3D video game with precision it's usually with a mouse and keyboard playing a first person game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Those first person games where it's just jumping into walls and tiny floating obstacles using bunny hops or whatever 3d kaizo tricks to advance along a long track. Not sure what the games are called, I've just seen them as mindless footage behind someone talking about something else.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

No, the problem with FPS is it isn't a good representation of a body. We know our bodies and where things are in our environment without seeing them. We know where the ground is. We have peripheral vision. Our brains do tons of things so we aren't constantly crashing into things and our hands end up in the right spot. FP(anything) games do not do this well, at all. It is impossible to do, in fact. However, the third person view works fine because we can see the body on the screen doing the thing.

Of course I am being hyperbolic about first person. There are applications where it works just fine. Like The Witness, or to a lesser effect, Portal. Those things share something crucial in common: they are puzzle games where the movement isn't really "playing" the game. Portal has some puzzles where light movement is required, but those are few and far between.

I care more about feeling immersed as the player character in the game than I do about where my toes are

Also it's the only acceptable perspective for shootin, anything else either introduces an annoyance or a crutch

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 19, 2024

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Jumping Flash is the 3D platformer of the 90s that dated the least poorly. Mario 64? Camera is garbage. Crash Bandicoot? Shut up.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Crash Bandicoot isn't even a 3D platformer. It's a 2D platformer that sometimes swaps X for Z.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Soon I'll be suffering through Path of Exiles story. Why do I do it? I want to see if my Kitava's Thirst Volatile Dead Lightning Warp (it gets like 10+ casts a second of lightning warp ZOOOM) actually works. Will I get bored before I get to that point? Probably. Will I spend at least 8 hours before I say gently caress it and stop? Yeah probably. Would I be happier watching Jericho (like my third or fourth watch I think) or playing Backpack Battles? Absolutely.

Anyway my build is pretty sweet let me explain it to you all.

Kitava's Thirst has a 50% chance to Trigger Socketed Spells when you Spend at least 100 Mana on an
Upfront Cost to Use or Trigger a Skill, with a 0.1 second Cooldown

So I'm going to use lightning warp to trigger volatile dead. For corpse generation I have cast while damage taken descrate/unearth triggered by eye of innocence. Ignite chance is 100% thanks to Elementalist. I get extra cast speed with the necromancer node that gives it on corpse consumption. I get the necromancer node by using Forbidden Flesh and Forbidden Flame. The corpses are consumed by volatile dead. I reduce my skill duration using timeclasps so lightning warp is faster. This also gives me recoup for mana and life which as well as cast speed. A replica reckless defense allows me to ignite myself from the eye of innocence damage.

It's beautiful. It doesn't get 10 casts of lightning warp and no longer uses eye of innocence/replica reckless defense but it does work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKOsc-s2VLc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVqIu9fVIF4

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 19, 2024

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
"First person games just aren't immersive," I say as I play Super Mario and shmups.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

QuarkJets posted:

:shrug: I don't. The only time that I even remember that mobas exist is when you post in this thread to talk about how much of a hopeless dota2 junkie you are. If you think this post is full of "spitting passion" then I don't know what to say other than you have brainworms

So you've got no sense of humour? K ignore list it is

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I got Outer Worlds (the fallout in space ripoff) for free on Epic recently and it's fine. It just generic and cookie cutter, but it's 5/10 okay.

lol the guys who made new vegas ripping off new vegas in space was a pretty firmly OK game and somehow it came out leagues better for way less money than Starfield.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Obsidian showing up Bathesda is par for course lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Starfield is the only videogame less entertaining than the screensaver of the same name

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

are you really mad that I'm not mad lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

here's an unpopular opinion, frostpunk 2 dropped a bunch of gameplay footage and I think it looks like poo poo, i want to make a sick rear end shanty town in the snow not play at being a city councilman.

i don't think that any video game has ever successfully made politics fun, it just can't be done

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Depends what you mean by "politics" and "fun"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

QuarkJets posted:

are you really mad that I'm not mad lol

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

don't do this john

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

Jumping Flash is the 3D platformer of the 90s that dated the least poorly. Mario 64? Camera is garbage. Crash Bandicoot? Shut up.

mario 64 is a full 3d game that you can complete front to back without touching the c buttons even once. it's a pretty good camera

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

EightFlyingCars posted:

mario 64 is a full 3d game that you can complete front to back without touching the c buttons even once. it's a pretty good camera

You can complete Quake without mouselook too.

A long standing question of mine was "would Mario 64 be better if it controlled more like an FPS", the question was answered thanks to clever modders. That answer is yes, therefore Mario 64's camera sucks.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 19, 2024

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mario 64 is a game you can complete when ur like 12 and be like "eh" then never think of again

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Khanstant posted:

Those first person games where it's just jumping into walls and tiny floating obstacles using bunny hops or whatever 3d kaizo tricks to advance along a long track. Not sure what the games are called, I've just seen them as mindless footage behind someone talking about something else.

that's counter strike

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Devils Affricate posted:

Crash Bandicoot isn't even a 3D platformer. It's a 2D platformer that sometimes swaps X for Z.

Crash Bandicoot is a really unappealing character. Right at that 1996 Crossroads of Xtreme and wacky that's a huge repellent to me.

He's not quite Euro-mascot gross like Rayman (prior to the origins/legends redesign) but he still sucks.

No one should design platform mascots outside of Japan, or you end up with scowling in-your-face skateboarding funny animals (US) or gross looking chip-shop workers collecting titty magazines on the C64 (Europe).

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 19, 2024

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

crash bandicoot wears jorts

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

crash bandicoot wears jorts

If he was a guy, he'd be a boomer hosing off his car in late July.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Devils Affricate posted:

I care more about feeling immersed as the player character in the game than I do about where my toes are

Also it's the only acceptable perspective for shootin, anything else either introduces an annoyance or a crutch

I do not care about feeling immersed as the player character. I am not the player character. I want to see the cool poo poo I am making the player character do. I wanna see them running, jumping, shooting, doing rad flips and kicks to the face. Swinging that big ol hammer around. Stuff like that makes a cool video game. Having some disembodied hands wave around on the screen does not. Having the entire screen bob up and down when you move does not either

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
There are some exceptions however, such as noted 1st person and cool video game: Bugsnax

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

If he was a guy, he'd be a boomer hosing off his car in late July.

Wait, Crash Bandicoot is a chick!?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Why do you think it's bandiCOOT

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
If Mario was British creation, I guarantee the first Mario Bros game would be pretty much identical, but he'd have to stomp on literal poo poo/drain blockages and he'd be powered up by Lucozade or Penguin Biscuits who have sponsored the game somehow. The illustration of him on the box art would be grotesque - flabby, sweaty, cigarette dangling from filthy lips.

If he was an American creation from the same period, he'd be a surfer or some poo poo and have "attitude". Just utterly hateful. He'd be doing something obnoxious with his hands on the box-art and have Dreamworks face.

We need to stop making characters. It's too risky.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Disco Pope posted:

If Mario was British creation, I guarantee the first Mario Bros game would be pretty much identical, but he'd have to stomp on literal poo poo/drain blockages and he'd be powered up by Lucozade or Penguin Biscuits who have sponsored the game somehow. The illustration of him on the box art would be grotesque - flabby, sweaty, cigarette dangling from filthy lips.

If he was an American creation from the same period, he'd be a surfer or some poo poo and have "attitude". Just utterly hateful. He'd be doing something obnoxious with his hands on the box-art and have Dreamworks face.

It'd be a DOS game and look similar to Pizza Tower.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Disco Pope posted:

Hey I've read it a few times and am curious what DreamWorks face is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't know how Orcs Must Die is a franchise of seemingly identical games all of which have 25% less content than it feels like they should but I guess I'll just keep playing em like a sucker.