Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Archer666 posted:

Lets bring back physical media by having games being so big that they come on their own hard drives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MSPain posted:

you don't have to pay people very much to do things they already want to do. it would be really hard to unionize game dev because there would be scabs lined up for miles

It's the same with music and sports and social work and teaching and basically any job that is intrinsically rewarding

idk dude movie stars are unionized and I think a lot of people want that job too

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Doflamingo posted:

I finally reached Baldur's Gate in BG3 and omg this game is so. loving. long. I honestly want it to be over already.

Oh, dude.

You're honestly a little less than half way through the game.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Doflamingo posted:

I finally reached Baldur's Gate in BG3 and omg this game is so. loving. long. I honestly want it to be over already.

I got as far as that with the exact same thought. And then i uninstalled the game and played something else

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Can I have ur stuf

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Archer666 posted:

I got as far as that with the exact same thought. And then i uninstalled the game and played something else

lol me too. it was fantastic up to there though.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I desperately want to finish Pillars of Eternity 2 but whenever I arrive in the big city I get hit with choice paralysis and give up on the game. Which really sucks because up to that point I'm enjoying myself immensely.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

sebmojo posted:

lol me too. it was fantastic up to there though.

In case you're not sure, it's still great after that, it's a great game... but...

You didn't really miss much. Like there are a couple of poignant / hard hitting / surprising story beats, and the final confrontation is one of the most fun and satisfying culminations of a game I've played. But when you get to endgame, you stop having to worry about 'puzzling it out'. Like in the early game it was all about using weird spells to try and RP your way through, and it all worked and it was really cool and fun. When you know you can just obliterate anyone in combat, the game starts to just become like an art gallery, where you're just touring trying to find the new stuff to look at.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Waltzing Along posted:

Devs should live at their desk and pump out 10/10 5 star games for free.

They technically work in STEM, so it's only right.

I'm always really shocked when people say they've played 80hrs of Baldurs Gate III and are only on act one. I think my entire first, blind playthrough was around that. And yeah, I missed stuff, but it was still narratively complete and my guys had what they needed. On replays, where I skip some cutscenes and dialogue but explore more thoroughly, its probably down to about 65hrs, if I'm leisurely.

The game is pretty slim with its optional content and narratively tight up until act 3, I really don't understand what the gently caress people are doing to make it a 200hr game or whatever.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 24, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There are people who spent like 20+ hours on the character creation screen in BG3 which I don't understand because it's just a basic-rear end character creator the same as you find in any game with a customizable player character. You pick preset skin colors and tattoos and hairstyles and stuff and that's it.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

There are people who spent like 20+ hours on the character creation screen in BG3 which I don't understand because it's just a basic-rear end character creator the same as you find in any game with a customizable player character. You pick preset skin colors and tattoos and hairstyles and stuff and that's it.

That was one of my biggest surprises. Like people went on about how deep the character creator was and then it was just... that. Like loving Street Fighter 6 had a deeper character creator than that.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
People liked the BG3 character creator because you can hang puss and dong hth

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

MrQwerty posted:

People liked the BG3 character creator because you can hang puss and dong hth

Yeah. It's this. It is a pretty basic character creator though - a good one, in that the guardrails mean its hard to create some sort of comedy mutant, but it does all feel like it's made from off the shelf parts.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

They technically work in STEM, so it's only right.

I'm always really shocked when people say they've played 80hrs of Baldurs Gate III and are only on act one. I think my entire first, blind playthrough was around that. And yeah, I missed stuff, but it was still narratively complete and my guys had what they needed. On replays, where I skip some cutscenes and dialogue but explore more thoroughly, its probably down to about 65hrs, if I'm leisurely.

The game is pretty slim with its optional content and narratively tight up until act 3, I really don't understand what the gently caress people are doing to make it a 200hr game or whatever.

I'm always shocked at how much time people say it takes them to get through games. Maybe I'm a fast reader or something.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Shocked!!

Can't believe how smart I am, nbd, just confusing.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
You can finish Baldur's Gate 3 pretty quickly if you follow the main quest or you can make it take 20x longer by being a completionist.

You can also finish the game in 10 minutes by ignoring the grove and Act 1 and have Gale explode the elder brain in act 2.

I think it makes a pretty good case that majority of people actually want less branching and more railroady games.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Shocked!!

Can't believe how smart I am, nbd, just confusing.

Finally someone is saying it.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

MSPain posted:

you don't have to pay people very much to do things they already want to do. it would be really hard to unionize game dev because there would be scabs lined up for miles

It's the same with music and sports and social work and teaching and basically any job that is intrinsically rewarding

sports are unionized in the US. Teachers also have unions. folks in the games industry don't unionize because they are chumps. hopefully with how the industry is hollowing out they'll see the value in unionizing at last.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the only video game union i care about is the union between Marvel and Capcom

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 24 days!)

shorter games with worse graphics made by small teams who all get a %

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Same but Disney and Square

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mr. Fix It posted:

sports are unionized in the US. Teachers also have unions. folks in the games industry don't unionize because they are chumps. hopefully with how the industry is hollowing out they'll see the value in unionizing at last.

Higher-ups in tech are like doctors in that they think they're smart at everything for some reason. Doctors and lawyers are also usually the biggest marks for con men for this very reason. They think they're special, and that they (and everyone around them) should not be "forced" into a union that would stifle their specialness. Especially when that union would hinder shareholder value.

jokes fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 24, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Those people do that for every game. They're the same ones who restart games 8 times because they didn't like the lighting on their fantasy hunk face. Nevermind that most games cover your head up permanently a few minutes into it.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
No I have to spend hours perfectly sculpting the face of my Bloodborne character to look like me so that the game can be a more accurate allegory for my suffering.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

if you make a game where I can customize my character's face and then have helmets that have stats and can't be cosmetically toggled off you are a bad person

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

What if in addition to that you spend almost all of the game looking like an old piece of beef jerky?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Nice Van My Man posted:

What if in addition to that you spend almost all of the game looking like an old piece of beef jerky?

Unlike most of you cowards I wasn't afraid to use my humanity/effigies/embers :smug:

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

Maybe there’s a deeper meaning behind invading other players to steal their humanity and keep yourself pretty all the time…

I wish Dark Souls 1+2 still had active pvp.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

emSparkly posted:

No I have to spend hours perfectly sculpting the face of my Bloodborne character to look like me so that the game can be a more accurate allegory for my suffering.

100% this. I also prefer helmets/hats/scarves/etc that completely cover my character’s face. My character creation and fashion sense actively work against each other.

This is also why I like playing Dunmer and Argonians in Elder Scrolls. Since it means I don’t have to try figuring out what the hell my real life “nasal globular ratio” or whatever is and wrangling Oblivions potato face maker into vaguely resembling it.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Vic posted:

You can finish Baldur's Gate 3 pretty quickly if you follow the main quest or you can make it take 20x longer by being a completionist.

You can also finish the game in 10 minutes by ignoring the grove and Act 1 and have Gale explode the elder brain in act 2.

I think it makes a pretty good case that majority of people actually want less branching and more railroady games.

Yeah, BTG3 is really good at feeling almost like it has a DM and nearly infinite possibilities early on, but the mirrors and strings are pretty apparent if you replay it, and it works well because its boundaries are pretty well defined.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Caesar Saladin posted:

What union? They kicked each others poo poo in.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Disco Pope posted:

Yeah, BTG3 is really good at feeling almost like it has a DM and nearly infinite possibilities early on, but the mirrors and strings are pretty apparent if you replay it, and it works well because its boundaries are pretty well defined.

this is how i felt about it except i noticed the smoke and mirrors halfway through the underdark. what a stinker of an area

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Computer touchers haven't unionized because the the money still flows freely in that sector. Paying a fee for the privilege of engaging in collective bargaining isn't usually at the front of your mind when there's an endless supply of companies climbing over each other to pay you six figs to sit on your rear end all day. This will change with time of course, but currently it's a seller's market.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Devils Affricate posted:

Computer touchers haven't unionized because the the money still flows freely in that sector. Paying a fee for the privilege of engaging in collective bargaining isn't usually at the front of your mind when there's an endless supply of companies climbing over each other to pay you six figs to sit on your rear end all day. This will change with time of course, but currently it's a seller's market.

Recruiters will actively try to poach you and offer you more while you are already employed, even. Video game industry is probably different but if you can debug a game you can debug a website and have better pay and job security.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Isn't the video game industry known for considering 60 hours a week "light" and actually publishing a game is a lot like playing Russian roulette with your job security?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I believe a lot of video game companies are basically just doing seasonal hiring.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

It’s pretty much like you get your bonus if it hits the steam charts and then anyone who didn’t sleep with the right higher ups are out on their rear end.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
When the bubble bursts I'm gonna revolutionise the industry by just having a team that wants to make and sell games and also we have a union. And then we'll make games and people will buy them and that's about as complicated as it will ever be allowed to get for everyone after that.

Edit: game companies are banned from having shareholders and stocks now.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I would simply make a good video game and then use the proceeds of that video game to pay myself and the people who made that good video game to make more and better video games. Then, when we make bad video games, we'll use some of the money from the good video games to keep the operation running until we can make another good video game. Since I stand to make the most money, I also have the highest level of risk with regards to personal compensation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Enough talk! Time for action. You're the union leader now for the videogames. I have joined this union and I'm an artist for the videogames now. My demands are don't get fired when we finish the videogames. I'm gonna roll in from 930 to 10 and leave from 5 to 6 depending on the vibes.